Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    McConnell threatening corporations for exercising their rights re voting act.

For him to come out like this, so strongly, there must be some issues in the background.
    Donations probably running dry given the press coverage

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/polit...law/index.html
    Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell warned big businesses they would face "serious consequences" after accusing them of employing "economic blackmail" in attempts to influence voting laws as the backlash over Georgia's elections law that imposes voting restrictions intensifies.
    Y'all, boycotts are "economic blackmail".

QQ, Mitch McConnell. Q fucking Q.
    Many, many people beat me to this. McConnell still showing his true colors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Donations probably running dry given the press coverage
    I wonder if this is backfiring immensely in Georgia. Stacy Abrams must be on fire by now.

For him to come out like this, so strongly, there must be some issues in the background.
    Why do Republicans hate capitalism so much?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why do Republicans hate capitalism so much?
    Lol, well done.

I know I've said this way too much, but it baffles me how willfully out of touch the GOP as a whole is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Just read through the NYT's list of things this bill does, and they are all either neutral or positive.

Granted, some of NYT's points are lies (such as them claiming mobile voting centers are banned).
    One of the insidious things is how conservatives have become good at hiding Jim Crow. Ben Shapiro the other day said "voter suppression means you're not allowed to vote," disregarding that Jim Crow laws in the beginning of the 20th century DID NOT DISENFRANCHISE people, it made it substantively harder for them to vote, which was found to be unconstitutional.

They've also become at hiding things in plain sight. For example, conservatives who are saying "this expands voter access!" like to point how there'll now be MORE absentee ballot boxes in Georgia. This is, on a statewide level, true. But these boxes are being expanded in rural areas, and decreased in metro (IE, more Democratic) areas. The Atlanta metro area this past election had 94 absentee ballot boxes. Under the new formulation in this law - it would have 23.

Surely that's disenfranchisement, just as much closing polling places to form 11 hours lines is disenfranchisement.

Another favorite trick this bill does: prior to this bill, if you went to a wrong polling place (because Republicans are constantly closing/consolidating your old polling place), you could cast a provisional ballot, they'd send it to the precinct you were supposed to vote at, and if you were on their rolls and could verify your signature, the vote would be counted. This bill now says you must go to your correct polling station, which may be far away, and cast the ballot there (no provisional ballots allowed), so if you can't make it on time, or you're discouraged from going to a second place, your vote is effectively taken from you. Again, coupled with how aggressively Republicans curtail polling places, this is just in place to suppress votes.

I live in the state of NEW YORK, a supposedly liberal bastion, and I've had 4 different polling places in the 6 years since I moved back to this state, living in the city of Buffalo. My mother, in the suburbs, has had 1 in that 6 years.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/polit...law/index.html

Y'all, boycotts are "economic blackmail".

QQ, Mitch McConnell. Q fucking Q.
    It's a good thing Mitch McConnell didn't support Citizens United, saying corporations were people with freedom of speech and association....

...oh wait.

The irony tickles me.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's a good thing Mitch McConnell didn't support Citizens United, saying corporations were people with freedom of speech and association....

...oh wait.

The irony tickles me.
    CORPORATIONS DESERVE FREE SPEECH!

But not this kind of speech, this isn't what we meant at all!

Seriously, I love the way things seem to frequently come around and bite Republicans in the ass.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    One of the insidious things is how conservatives have become good at hiding Jim Crow. Ben Shapiro the other day said "voter suppression means you're not allowed to vote," disregarding that Jim Crow laws in the beginning of the 20th century DID NOT DISENFRANCHISE people, it made it substantively harder for them to vote, which was found to be unconstitutional.

They've also become at hiding things in plain sight. For example, conservatives who are saying "this expands voter access!" like to point how there'll now be MORE absentee ballot boxes in Georgia. This is, on a statewide level, true. But these boxes are being expanded in rural areas, and decreased in metro (IE, more Democratic) areas. The Atlanta metro area this past election had 94 absentee ballot boxes. Under the new formulation in this law - it would have 23.

Surely that's disenfranchisement, just as much closing polling places to form 11 hours lines is disenfranchisement.

Another favorite trick this bill does: prior to this bill, if you went to a wrong polling place (because Republicans are constantly closing/consolidating your old polling place), you could cast a provisional ballot, they'd send it to the precinct you were supposed to vote at, and if you were on their rolls and could verify your signature, the vote would be counted. This bill now says you must go to your correct polling station, which may be far away, and cast the ballot there (no provisional ballots allowed), so if you can't make it on time, or you're discouraged from going to a second place, your vote is effectively taken from you. Again, coupled with how aggressively Republicans curtail polling places, this is just in place to suppress votes.

I live in the state of NEW YORK, a supposedly liberal bastion, and I've had 4 different polling places in the 6 years since I moved back to this state, living in the city of Buffalo. My mother, in the suburbs, has had 1 in that 6 years.
    I really don't see how Georgia Blue recovers from these new laws. Unless they are ruled unconstitutional, we may have lost Georgia.

I really don't see how Georgia Blue recovers from these new laws. Unless they are ruled unconstitutional, we may have lost Georgia.
    Unless they are ruled unconstitutional, they will be the template for every Republican led state within the next 4 years or less along with any state they get a sliver of control in for any amount of time.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Unless they are ruled unconstitutional, they will be the template for every Republican led state within the next 4 years or less along with any state they get a sliver of control in for any amount of time.
    I mean, even with these things being ruled unconstitutional, you think that'll stop them? It's pretty clear that they keep trying the same thing over and over thinking that it'll work.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2021-04-06 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I mean, even with stuff people ruled unconstitutional, you think that'll stop them? It's pretty clear that they keep trying the same thing over and over thinking that it'll work.
    They also know that they have stolen a majority in the Supreme Court and are hoping they will turn a blind eye to it.

And if they do, the DNC would be required to pass similar to protect their home states otherwise the RNC can ignore all they have stolen and secured and focus their resources into the other states and then pass similar the moment they get any control in them.

And if found unconstitutional they might do like NC did with their districts and keep abusing them pretending they can’t get better till they get what they want anyways.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yep - and even if they can't those rules, they know the crux points in the voting system to squeeze out minorities from voting.

- - - Updated - - -

They also know that they have stolen a majority in the Supreme Court and are hoping they will turn a blind eye to it.

And if they do, the DNC would be required to pass similar to protect their home states otherwise the RNC can ignore all they have stolen and secured and focus their resources into the other states and then pass similar the moment they get any control in them.

And if found unconstitutional they might do like NC did with their districts and keep abusing them pretending they can’t get better till they get what they want anyways.
    And the Court prior to Trump's Justices being added had already taken a huge bite out the Voting Rights Act.

He is saying 'you can donate money' but don't be proactive in just causes.

McConnel really is a p.o.s.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

The entirety of the GOP is a horror show to democracy. I don't remember in my lifetime politics being so decisive and one side being so utterly awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

I’d be careful... peaces of shit might sue you for defamation.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics...-bill/2598206/

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants corporations to GET OUT OF POLITICS! STOP MEDDLING!

Someone should tell him about Citizens United, I bet he'll be furious about that one : 3

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants corporations to GET OUT OF POLITICS! STOP MEDDLING!

Someone should tell him about Citizens United, I bet he'll be furious about that one : 3
    Guess he's going to give back all those corporate/ceo donations to his campaigns and fundraisers?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I wonder if this is backfiring immensely in Georgia. Stacy Abrams must be on fire by now.
    Republicans want to institute this nationwide Texas and Arizona are next, they know this is the only way they can stay in power. The republican party is united in this even "moderate" republicans are staying quiet however corporations have to follow profit and being caught supporting republicans right now is bad PR.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

The literal break with reality the GOP now fully embraces is fucking ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Republicans want to institute this nationwide Texas and Arizona are next, they know this is the only way they can stay in power. The republican party is united in this even "moderate" republicans are staying quiet however corporations have to follow profit and being caught supporting republicans right now is bad PR.
    And they control the legislatures in all those states that are purple going toward blue. In some cases by large veto margins.

And they control the legislatures in all those states that are purple going toward blue. In some cases by large veto margins.
    Biden better start applying real pressure to people like Joe Kombaya Manchin because this is for all the cards. Once these laws are in place republicans will hunker down and be even more extreme, I remember the days when I thought Michelle Bachman was as nuts as it got.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Biden better start applying real pressure to people like Joe Kombaya Manchin because this is for all the cards. Once these laws are in place republicans will hunker down and be even more extreme, I remember the days when I thought Michelle Bachman was as nuts as it got.
    Holy hell does she take me back - I forgot about her now-relatively tame lunacy. I don't even know if those voting provisions coming from Congress will affect the state's laws if they contradict. Most of the state laws are specific things about polling locations or notarized absentee ballots. Usually voting mechanisms are left to the state, unless they are unconstitutional - even then the decades old Voting Rights Act got a huge bite taken out of it by a pre-Trump SCOTUS.

The GOP might be able to seriously "re-take" america because they can lock out huge swaths of democratic voters.