Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    In other words hurt the people of Georgia. Why would you wish for that?
    I don't, but Republicans are dead set on fucking their state over, just because they lost an election, so they are going to go full 3 year old, whine, take their ball and go home after they make up all the rules. Though I don't expect this law to stand up to a legal challenge, simply because almost all of it is against the voting rights act of 64, the 14th amendment, and everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of disinformation in this thread makes my head hurt. Please, I’m begging you, actually read up on these things, don’t just believe what the talking heads say.

Here’s some basic cliffs notes versions

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/...-law-sb-202-do

https://sos.ga.gov/index.php/electio..._requirements2

Having integrity in elections is not a bad thing, but the main thrust is that the public has to have faith in the integrity of elections. The Georgia law is an attempt to make theirs beyond reproach. Not unreasonable given the 2020 election cycle. Access is also expanded with more early voting and allowing more people to request absentee ballots.

We can debate specifics all day long, we should in fact. But this law being labeled Jim Crow is honestly pretty offensive. Like Trump too many criticisms I’ve seen of this law have a tenuous relationship with the truth at best. I’m looking at you Biden.
    When you are making laws, BASED ON FUCKING LIES, like that the election was stolen, then yes, the law is bullshit. There is LITERALLY no evidence that the integrity of the election in question is questionable, at least to those of us with working brains that don't believe retards like Sidney Powell, Guiliani, Trump and all of his personal ball fluffers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics...-bill/2598206/

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants corporations to GET OUT OF POLITICS! STOP MEDDLING!

Someone should tell him about Citizens United, I bet he'll be furious about that one : 3
    Especially since McConnell was the dumbass that was the one that got Citizens United through the Supreme Court.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I don't, but Republicans are dead set on fucking their state over, just because they lost an election, so they are going to go full 3 year old, whine, take their ball and go home after they make up all the rules. Though I don't expect this law to stand up to a legal challenge, simply because almost all of it is against the voting rights act of 64, the 14th amendment, and everything else.
    I really hope this all gets shot down in SCOTUS.

- - - Updated - - -

When you are making laws, BASED ON FUCKING LIES, like that the election was stolen, then yes, the law is bullshit. There is LITERALLY no evidence that the integrity of the election in question is questionable, at least to those of us with working brains that don't believe retards like Sidney Powell, Guiliani, Trump and all of his personal ball fluffers.
    So, interestingly, Kemp was caught in an interview admitting that these laws have nothing to do with election fraud. At first I thought that was a great "gotcha" moment for Georgia, but now I'm worried that the reasoning behind the laws isn't fraud, and therefore aren't based on lies, and therefore have a higher chance of being upheld by SCOUTS.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So, interestingly, Kemp was caught in an interview admitting that these laws have nothing to do with election fraud. At first I thought that was a great "gotcha" moment for Georgia, but now I'm worried that the reasoning behind the laws isn't fraud, and therefore aren't based on lies, and therefore have a higher chance of being upheld by SCOUTS.
    Yep, and when you pretty much give the game away, it should be easy to strike the voter suppression laws down. You know, kinda like when Romney was running in 2012 and that dumbass that went on TV and openly admitted that voter ID laws were designed to give Romney the win in Pennsylvania.

Without these laws, and these retards admitting to their reasoning for it, they would and should never win again.

Without these laws, and these retards admitting to their reasoning for it, they would and should never win again.
    I still often think back to the daughter of the guy behind the GOP gerrymandering efforts, and how she just dumped all of her fathers material and information about how it was a coordinated, planned effort and they knew exactly what they were doing.

And then it just kinda, disappeared.

I think about that a lot. The most astounding thing is we have proof in their own words that almost every one of these bullshit attempts at gerrymandering or voter ID aren't actually about representation or security, and are purely about getting Republicans elected as a minority party, leveraging race to do so. And like, nothing happened as a result.

SCOTUS is a lost cause it won't get shot down probably a technical states rights reasoning but the republican SCOTUS is going to stall this for years plenty of time for them to take the house and senate. The courts are slow and the SCOTUS can make it even slower if they wish to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy hell does she take me back - I forgot about her now-relatively tame lunacy. I don't even know if those voting provisions coming from Congress will affect the state's laws if they contradict. Most of the state laws are specific things about polling locations or notarized absentee ballots. Usually voting mechanisms are left to the state, unless they are unconstitutional - even then the decades old Voting Rights Act got a huge bite taken out of it by a pre-Trump SCOTUS.

The GOP might be able to seriously "re-take" america because they can lock out huge swaths of democratic voters.
    HR1 would overwrite most of their voter suppression effort because of things like universal mail in voting even if they screwed polling locations it would not matter as much. If anything it would end up hurting them because more and more democrats would vote by mail versus their people who want to vote in person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still often think back to the daughter of the guy behind the GOP gerrymandering efforts, and how she just dumped all of her fathers material and information about how it was a coordinated, planned effort and they knew exactly what they were doing.

I think about that a lot. The most astounding thing is we have proof in their own words that almost every one of these bullshit attempts at gerrymandering or voter ID aren't actually about representation or security, and are purely about getting Republicans elected as a minority party, leveraging race to do so. And like, nothing happened as a result.
    It's because the demcocrats know it already and the GOP attempt to maintain "plausible deniability" by denying they ever heard anything about it.

Take this forum as a microcosm. We've had any number of "GOP tries something scumbaggy by trying to institute voter ID laws" threads and the exact. same. people. will come in and post some concern-troll post about "how is wanting safer elections racist/disenfranchising?" and then be barraged by 10 different posts detailing exactly how the GOP's plans are racist and how they disenfranchise people. And then those people will just... disappear. Pretend they never read the posts. I'd wager that's a decent understanding of what's going on in the greater world of conservative thinking. Assert something as true... meet resistance backed by facts, statistics and historical data... then pretend you never heard that and just go on thinking and saying whatever you want.

For an immediate example, I don't think we're going to see D3thray post in this thread again or, if they do, it wont have anything to do with the people that responded to him, or he'll selectively choose which one to respond to where they can think they can craft a response that dodges the absolute takedown of their point and deflect to something else.

The GOP voter base believes they're in the morally superior position, and they've positioned themselves to believe that it's right and just for them to get what they want, regardless of whether the majority wanted it or not. So ultimately they don't care if this stops people from voting, it's stopping democrats who don't want the right things, so therefore it's okay if a law unfairly targets them.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-04-06 at 11:59 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

As do I. We literally have all the pieces, and factual admissions, showing the why and the how behind their false claims of voter fraud, and nothing gets done about it.

The amount of disinformation in this thread makes my head hurt. Please, I’m begging you, actually read up on these things, don’t just believe what the talking heads say.

Having integrity in elections is not a bad thing, but the main thrust is that the public has to have faith in the integrity of elections. The Georgia law is an attempt to make theirs beyond reproach. Not unreasonable given the 2020 election cycle. Access is also expanded with more early voting and allowing more people to request absentee ballots.

We can debate specifics all day long, we should in fact. But this law being labeled Jim Crow is honestly pretty offensive. Like Trump too many criticisms I’ve seen of this law have a tenuous relationship with the truth at best. I’m looking at you Biden.
    Well Kemp just admitted recently that this bill has nothing to do with fraud, so I guess the whole integrity thing just went out the window.

Georgia governor admits that controversial election law has nothing to do with voter fraud

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    HR1 would overwrite most of their voter suppression effort because of things like universal mail in voting even if they screwed polling locations it would not matter as much. If anything it would end up hurting them because more and more democrats would vote by mail versus their people who want to vote in person.
    I hear what you're saying and where you are going, but I'm not sure about the law on this. Typically state laws on issues regulated by the feds are ok if they are stricter or more beneficial (drinking age, minimum wage). So my thought is whether or not HR1 would be almost useless in the face of these GOP Disenfranchisement Laws coming already out of Georgia but soon to be in Texas and Arizona and every other state owned by the GOP state legislature.

I hope I'm wrong.

Fox tried to pull the BuT CoLORadO and GeoRGiA haVE ThE Same ruLES THat'S HypocRisY! shit with the MLB moving the All-Star game.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1379487125083717636

It wasn't remotely effective. At all. I may be developing a bit of a "thing" for Psaki. Is it weird that I want her to do a point by point analysis of why I'm wrong about something?

I kid. Mostly.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

It's entirely accurate. I guess you missed Kemp admitting these laws having nothing to do with fraud or voter integrity. I wish you would take your own advice and get some information outside of the QAnon/FauxNews echo chamber. Even Trump's own election fraud committee found no evidence of fraud.

I guess the real question is: Why are you lying?

These laws are all about disenfranchisement to minority voters, keeping the GOP minority in power, and preventing people from voting overall. The fact that you don't know this speaks volumes to your integrity.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-04-07 at 01:09 AM.

It's entirely accurate. I guess you missed Kemp admitting these laws having nothing to do with fraud or voter integrity. I wish you would take your own advice and get some information outside of the QAnon/FauxNews echo chamber. Even Trump's own election fraud committee found no evidence of fraud.

I guess the real question is: Why are you lying?

These laws are all about disenfranchisement to minority voters, keeping the GOP minority in power, and preventing people from voting overall. The fact that you don't know this speaks volumes to your integrity.
    Comparing this to how we vote in europe this is still way to lax.

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Ok, let me know when Europe takes over the US!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Lax in what way? Can you give some examples - I'm not very familiar with European voting law/procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    What about them? And did they start making changes to their board of elections after their preferred candidates lost the election and then proceeded to ask the Secretary of State to find 11,780 votes which the SoS refused to do? Keep in mind that Georgia is only making these changes in response to the fact that Trump and their GOP senators lost their elections and then started to tell lies about the election, which Georgia is now trying to give those lies about the election legitimacy by making all these changes.
    If we are going to fight Georgia and those changes then we need to fight it in all the states. Not just single out one state. Or the claims about Georgia are nothing but hypocritical knee-jerking. Also, ironic that the area around the Braves Stadium has a large minority base and pulling out the All-Star games hurts minorities

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    If we are going to fight Georgia and those changes then we need to fight it in all the states. Not just single out one state. Or the claims about Georgia are nothing but hypocritical knee-jerking. Also, ironic that the area around the Braves Stadium has a large minority base and pulling out the All-Star games hurts minorities
    Why do you think we need to address this in every state?
    1. voter fraud does not happen
    2. the election was secure - it's integrity was never in question - even Trump's stooge admitted as much
    3. Kemp is now on record saying that the Georgia voting rights bill wasn't about voter fraud or election integrity
    4. the GOP changes voting laws to disenfranchise minorities
    5. the GOP is on record saying the more people who vote, the less chance they have to win an election

So why are you saying we need to address something in all states that doesn't exist in the first place?

The fight at this point is almost impossible to wage. The Georgia state legislature (along with many other state legislature) has a GOP controlling majority - they can almost literally write whatever laws they want. Because the state legislature comes from various areas of Georgia, the Blue majority of the population is shut out do to gerrymandering. Those laws can't be changed until Georgia legislature is Blue, and that can't/won't happen until the gerrymandering is fixed - which takes a Blue majority in the state legislature. And round and round we go.

Same for all the other GOP controlled legislatures.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-04-07 at 03:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In other words hurt the people of Georgia. Why would you wish for that?
    In this case, it would be the government of Georgia that's doing the hurting, y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Every state didn't change their election laws, so that a partisan group can basically overturn an election if they don't like the outcome.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Every state didn't change their election laws, so that a partisan group can basically overturn an election if they don't like the outcome.
    That particular provision is horrific. It essentially means Georgia is RED until those laws are nullified.

Lax in what way? Can you give some examples - I'm not very familiar with European voting law/procedures.
    Varies from country to country but here it goes in my country.

1. only acceptable identification is the id card or drivers licence .this is mandatory
    2. You are mailed an voting card that allows you to vote you need that when voting
    3. Absentee ballots require id and is only available for the ill or those unable to go
    4. No politicians are not allowed near a voting station. Bringing food and drink really?
    5. No such thing as early voting

Its easy but very strict. I have been told that absentee ballots require only a signature and no id code was a WTF moment for me
    Last edited by DKjaigen; 2021-04-07 at 04:02 AM.