Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/allahpundit/stat...233560579?s=19

So eligible voters?

They always admit what they are trying to accomplish.
    Yes, college students from possibly one of the most politically active generation in a while are uninformed, unlike the crusty boomers being spoonfed lies and fake-worldview-reinfocing twisting of information by Fox & co.

God I can't wait for the current crop of 65+yo GOP to do us a favor a keel over.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I did you just did not like the answer I gave.
    Actually, no you haven't. I keep asking you did these states you mentioned start making changes to their board of elections after their preferred candidates lost their elections. You haven't answered that, in fact you haven't even provided any details about what changes these states even have made in the first place.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-voting-bill

Good news: While the cop that arrested her because he feared "another Jan. 6" may be a racist piece of shit, the district will not be pressing any charges against Park Cannon for *checks notes* knocking on a door.

- - - Updated - - -

In related news, other Republicans think voting is just terrible! https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/m...ts-forced-vote

Mississippi Secretary of State Michael Watson (R) is deeply troubled by the fascist notion that it should be easier for students to vote.

In a local TV interview resurfaced by the Mississippi Free Press on Tuesday, Watson falsely claimed that President Joe Biden’s executive order on bolstering voting access meant that federal agencies and universities were directed to “register as many folks as they can via this automatic voter registration.

In reality, the order says nothing about automatic voter registration or college students. Yet Watson went on to characterize it as government tyranny burdening the beleaguered youths with, uh, easier access to the polls, particularly those who are “woke” (GOP curse word for left-wing).

“Think about all those woke college and university students now who will automatically be registered to vote whether they wanted to or not,” the elections official lamented. “Again, if they didn’t know to opt-out, they’re going to be automatically registered to vote and then they receive this mail-in ballot that they didn’t even probably know was coming because they didn’t know they were registered to vote.”

You’ve got an uninformed citizen who may not be prepared and ready to vote,” he continued. “Automatically, it’s forced on them: ‘Hey, go make a choice.'”

Our country’s going to pay for those choices,” Watson added, making more explicit the true cause for his paternalistic concern: People being allowed to vote for things he doesn’t like.

The official’s handwringing over students being empowered to vote underscores a less discussed dimension to the GOP’s voter suppression efforts. Apparently believing, as Watson does, that most college students vote liberal, state Republicans are pushing several means of blocking students’ access to the ballot.

Some measures include ID requirements that try to bar students from out of state to vote in their school’s state, restrictions on what kind of student IDs may be used when voting, and polling place requirements that disqualify universities as voting sites.
    Some bigly irony there about the uninformed citizenry, but like, being informed isn't a requirement to vote, for better or worse.

Why do Republicans seem to be so violently opposed to letting people vote without needing to complete a triathlon first?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-voting-bill

Good news: While the cop that arrested her because he feared "another Jan. 6" may be a racist piece of shit, the district will not be pressing any charges against Park Cannon for *checks notes* knocking on a door.

- - - Updated - - -

In related news, other Republicans think voting is just terrible! https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/m...ts-forced-vote

Some bigly irony there about the uninformed citizenry, but like, being informed isn't a requirement to vote, for better or worse.

Why do Republicans seem to be so violently opposed to letting people vote without needing to complete a triathlon first?
    The best part is that the more educated and informed you are, the more likely you are to vote left. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The best part is that the more educated and informed you are, the more likely you are to vote left. LOL.
    That's just liberal indoctrination in our higher education system, brainwashing vulnerable children in their 20's and 30's and turning them into commies!

Or something.

I think about how conservative think tanks were specifically created as a counterbalance to the entire notion of a think tanks, because bringing together a group of brilliant people to analyze problems and come up with solutions led to the solutions largely being liberal/progressive solutions (based purely on analysis of the data) and conservatives got upset with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just liberal indoctrination in our higher education system, brainwashing vulnerable children in their 20's and 30's and turning them into commies!

Or something.

I think about how conservative think tanks were specifically created as a counterbalance to the entire notion of a think tanks, because bringing together a group of brilliant people to analyze problems and come up with solutions led to the solutions largely being liberal/progressive solutions (based purely on analysis of the data) and conservatives got upset with that.
    Are you trying to say the solution to fossil fuels polluting the environment is to develop alternative sources of energy and burn less fossil fuel?

Yeah no, I don't believe it when you can just wash coal with some soap and make Clean Coal.

The brighter then the sun neon sign saying 'hypocrisy' over this man's head goes from laughable to disgusting right through nihilism to laughable again. Saying college aged Democratic voters are stupid and uniformed when in fact his party is reliant on their voters being so freaking stupid that they measure almost catatonic in order to vote against anything that could help them in order to sate corporations or their own bigotry.

So I don't know how the US system works, but if you were automatically signed up to vote, would not showing up have any consequences?

Because I know here, we've been automatically signed up for voting automatically basically all my life, and if you don't want to or feel like voting, you just don't show up, easy enough really.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    So I don't know how the US system works, but if you were automatically signed up to vote, would not showing up have any consequences?
    Nope. Millions of registered voters fail to vote every election, and there are millions more who are eligible but not registered. This isn't like AUS where there is a legal requirement to vote. Voting is purely, 100% voluntary.

Nope. Millions of registered voters fail to vote every election, and there are millions more who are eligible but not registered. This isn't like AUS where there is a legal requirement to vote. Voting is purely, 100% voluntary.
    So even in this made up scenario that said person made, it still wouldn't even mean anything for these students...

Man, they really are trying hard to cover up the fact that they just don't like anyone that doesn't vote for them. Trying being the operative work (failing at not being completely transparent), with the fact that this wouldn't even have any consequences whatsoever, it is just trying to make more noise to justify voter suppression.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Yes, college students from possibly one of the most politically active generation in a while are uninformed, unlike the crusty boomers being spoonfed lies and fake-worldview-reinfocing twisting of information by Fox & co.

God I can't wait for the current crop of 65+yo GOP to do us a favor a keel over.
    Well here is another GOP politician saying the secrets out loud.

Arizona GOP state rep John Kavanaugh: “not everybody wants to vote, and if somebody is uninterested in voting, that probably means that they are totally uninformed on the issues. Quantity is important, but we have to look at the quality of votes as well.”

We of course read this in these forums from the MAGA Heads and such. Many things we can say, but I will just keep it at "who do we determine is well informed"? A Fox News viewer?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

but we have to look at the quality of votes as well
    How would Republicans go about measuring this "quality"? Do you think they might propose, I don't know, some kind of poll test to ensure they're getting high quality votes?

How would Republicans go about measuring this "quality"? Do you think they might propose, I don't know, some kind of poll test to ensure they're getting high quality votes?
    Not only that, but objectively, that would put those college educated voters at a much higher quality than their base who have proven they don’t even know how their own taxes work and complain about welfare queens while being one themselves either directly or supporting a local government that can’t function without needing other states money.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Uninformed"
    This is America. Even the stupid get to vote. See also: W got re-elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Not only that, but objectively, that would put those college educated voters at a much higher quality than their base who have proven they don’t even know how their own taxes work and complain about welfare queens while being one themselves either directly or supporting a local government that can’t function without needing other states money.
    The test would be one line are you white? no = automatic disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    What continues to impress me is the absolute failure of imagination and seeming complete inability for any of these Republicans to take any of their thoughts to their logical conclusions.

They get partway there, think it sounds good, and just start spouting off about "quality of votes" as if that doesn't carry huge historical overtones and undertones to the days of poll tests.

Like, this is literally just advocating for the return of Literacy Tests in all but name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test

What continues to impress me is the absolute failure of imagination and seeming complete inability for any of these Republicans to take any of their thoughts to their logical conclusions.

They get partway there, think it sounds good, and just start spouting off about "quality of votes" as if that doesn't carry huge historical overtones and undertones to the days of poll tests.

Like, this is literally just advocating for the return of Literacy Tests in all but name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test
    Trump has proven there is no consequence to being a racist piece of shit so they have no fear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump has proven there is no consequence to being a racist piece of shit so they have no fear now.
    I mean...I'd kinda genuinely love to see what kind of effect something like this would have if adminstered "fairly".

Like, ask basic questions like the three branches of government, who the individuals current federal Rep/Senators are etc.

I imagine the number of people actually able to pass the test and be eligible to vote would be...depressingly small, even for basic "Civics 101" questions. Hell, we'd probably get a lot more naturalized citizens passing the test per-capita.

Of course this is letting the secret out of they want to pick their voters. By this we know majority white people who are afraid of the country changing and them losing power.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is America. Even the stupid get to vote. See also: W got re-elected.
    Yeah. This reeks of elitism and the belief that their side is the one with correct solutions and ideas. Too bad their example is Fox News viewers. Shoot, even if you listen to all their politicians now after 20 years of Fox, pretty much all they say now is pure stupid. No bias, they are stupid.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I mean...I'd kinda genuinely love to see what kind of effect something like this would have if adminstered "fairly".

Like, ask basic questions like the three branches of government, who the individuals current federal Rep/Senators are etc.

I imagine the number of people actually able to pass the test and be eligible to vote would be...depressingly small, even for basic "Civics 101" questions. Hell, we'd probably get a lot more naturalized citizens passing the test per-capita.
    All this makes you wonder what horrors await us when republicans gain control back of the government. They will get rid of the filibuster and be even more mental then.