Thread: [TV] Invincible

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

[TV] Invincible

The first 3 episodes of this new animated series have just dropped on Amazon Prime, but I've only watched the first episode so far. The first surprise, the episodes are 44 minutes long, which I think is a first for an animated series. I really hope this succeeds because we need more comics getting animated adaptations that target adults. I want to see comics get adaptations the same way Japanese manga do, and I don't understand why that has never been a thing outside of children's entertainment.

I liked the first episode. It was decently paced (though I hear it's fast compared to the comic). It's a drama/action series, and it is so nice to see an adult animated series that doesn't completely rely on ultra-violence or mature language.

Now, as for the end of the episode, I did spoil myself on the twist because people were teasing so much I just had to rip the band-aid off early because the anticipation was getting too much for me. But holy crap, was that gruesome. I'm not sure how violent the show will be moving forward, but I don't mind as long as it doesn't become the only thing the show is about, especially since the first episode showed off its mature storytelling capacity.

Overall I really like the first episode, and I look forward to checking out the other episodes (on a day that's already pretty crowded with shows to watch).

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it, the ending I did not expect so early though. At least the second episode before it actually kicks in.

It was like watching the red wedding at the very start of a series, but none of the characters matter since you have little investment in them (also cause they are the equivalent to an offbrand Justice League). Still brutal as fuck and a perfect example of how terrifying superman would actually be IRL.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2021-03-26 at 07:14 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

3+ Year Old Account
    Can't see it.

I watched the first episode, and it was okay, but didn't really draw me in. The ending was so-so, didn't really fit the rest of the episode, but as setup it'd be fine I guess. I also looked up the twist to see if it mattered to me.

I've found a lot of Amazon's shows to be sort of just "there", I watched the first episode of Carnival Row and Tales From The Loop, neither was bad, but neither drew me in enough to keep watching. They're still in my queue-thing, so if I get bored enough and I'm in the mood, but they just don't do it for me and I don't think Invincible will either.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Only 3 episodes but I thought this was great. Wish they would have released it all at once. I WILL forget about this until one day someone mentions it again to me.

[TV] Invincible

Haven’t read the comics so I’m hoping to keep it just about the show. What do people think so far?
    Personally, I like it. It’s not amazing, but it’s definitely interesting enough to watch right now.

Randomly decided to watch it on Amazon because of the 'adult animation' tag...

First episode in its near entirety was wondering how it earned that tag, then comes the ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Randomly decided to watch it on Amazon because of the 'adult animation' tag...

First episode in its near entirety was wondering how it earned that tag, then comes the ending!
    Yeah, the ending was definitely a surprise from how the rest of the episode plays out.

I'm not a big fan of some of the voice casting (not that they are bad voice actors...I just don't think their voices are good fits for the characters.) but overall I think it's a pretty good adaptation so far.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I loved the comic but dropped it after a certain event happened to the MC. Everything season 1 covers is pretty great so I'm excited to binge it soon.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I saw a clip on twitter of a caped hero massacring his buddies.

The artstyle is generic, but the animation quality looks pretty good.

Dunno about the extreme violence. I mean... I'm glad that for once, we get a superhero cartoon with some actual blood and gore, but this seems to go pretty over the top, in the kind of "this is ain't your kiddie cartoon! This is A TOTALL ADULT AND MATURE" wannabe over the top. That's what makes me hesitant to watch it. I also haven't be impressed by the writing of Netflix's other originals. Castlevania was pretty awful and also very wannabe "TOTALLY ADULT AND MATURE CARTOON!"

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

Dunno about the extreme violence. I mean... I'm glad that for once, we get a superhero cartoon with some actual blood and gore, but this seems to go pretty over the top, in the kind of "this is ain't your kiddie cartoon! This is A TOTALL ADULT AND MATURE" wannabe over the top. That's what makes me hesitant to watch it. I also haven't be impressed by the writing of Netflix's other originals. Castlevania was pretty awful and also very wannabe "TOTALLY ADULT AND MATURE CARTOON!"
    It's not Netflix. It's Amazon.

And it's as violent as it is because that's the source material
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's not Netflix. It's Amazon.
    Ah.

Doesn't make me really feel more confident about the show, given the people in charge of making new TV shows for Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And it's as violent as it is because that's the source material
    Mm. Still comes off as very tryhard to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Well maybe I'll check out the first episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, there is only 3 episodes?

Huh, there is only 3 episodes?
    The first 3 debuted yesterday. There will be a new episode every Friday until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Haven’t read the comics so I’m hoping to keep it just about the show. What do people think so far?
    Personally, I like it. It’s not amazing, but it’s definitely interesting enough to watch right now.
    I really like it. It is more... natural than other comic/animes. In a sense, that the dialog is not 90% exposition, gasping and other bullshit like pantyshots for no reason or 1000 year old ultra horny sexy children in nothing but a bikinis and a scarfe.
    Really gory. And it is fun to think about the voiceactors because there are quite a few famous people voicing it^^

Better than nearly every other animated tv show i have seen in the last years. By far.

Watched the first episode.

The first 10 minutes with the cops and the superheroes at the white house were decent. Then the episode became pretty unbearable. The son and the mom are unenjoyable to watch, and not in the "I'm invested in their future character development" kind of way; they're straight up detracting from my enjoyment of the show whenever they're onscreen. Cliche American dysfunctional family drama schlock. Also hated the school sections with the stereotypical irreverent and vulgar teenagers and the hollywood jock.

3+ Year Old Account
    Can't see it.

I'm quite enjoying these first few episodes though I hope Mark gets a lil bit more interesting in the series, I'm often wishing myself we would just go back to his dad massacring people. The animation is also not great, looks generic feels like I'm watching ben 10 It's also kind of stiff.

Episode 2

Only explanation I can think of for a motivation is that he is power tripping and desperately wants enemies to fight or something.

Also, weird that the planet that he came from the galactic federation doesn't have satellites or an intelligence network monitoring every world.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I saw all three episodes thus far. Not inclined to watch anymore. Meh. 4/10.

Back to watching Honey & Clover.

You know what happens when someone with superhuman strength punches someone? Invincible.

You could go back to watching GI Joe cartoons where there's plenty of gunfire but no blood. That way your precious sensibilities remain in place.