Thread: Undead Paladin?

Page 1 of 12
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Undead Paladin?

    Yo guys,

    I got a question and I'm quite curious how you think about this. Why aren't Undead Paladins a thing? They're dead humans revived basically right?
    So what if it was a Paladin before it died. I've heard arguments that Undead are not able to wield Holy magic, however, Undead Priests are a thing as well.

    So I basically don't see why it shouldn't be, but you guys probably could tell me.

  2. #2
    The Light burns them.

    They had this whole thing in a lore Q&A where holy priests exist because of their personal devotion, using light magic causes them immense pain. Plus they balance it with shadow magic, just like living priests balance a shadow spec with light magic to keep them sane. Paladins simply can't be reborn as forsaken, their bodies are too ...irradiated.

    There is one undead paladin and the necromancy controlling him is a higher level than the scourge's plague and valkyr.

    Now Calia exists though so fuck it.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-03-26 at 04:43 PM.

  3. #3
    If you've ever been to Stratholme, there's an Undead section with Scarlet Crusaders who can wield the Light, plus the Four Horseman boss Sir Zeliek in Naxx originally and in the Wrath reboot. There's also Reanimated Crusaders up in Northrend who will throw Holy Avenger's Shields. You can also find old ghosts periodically acting like old Paladins, casting Holy healing spells (or using Auras). Of course, Forsaken have been wielding The Light since forever and there's a crap-ton of examples of that already.

    It's not that Undead Paladins aren't a thing -- they are, everywhere, all the time, they just aren't playable.
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-03-26 at 09:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekra View Post
    Yo guys,

    I got a question and I'm quite curious how you think about this. Why aren't Undead Paladins a thing? They're dead humans revived basically right?
    So what if it was a Paladin before it died. I've heard arguments that Undead are not able to wield Holy magic, however, Undead Priests are a thing as well.

    So I basically don't see why it shouldn't be, but you guys probably could tell me.
    Worgen and Forsaken are unable to become Paladins, because they are immune to Plagues and Curses
    also there was some Light stuff, it burns wielders if they are undead

    there are some exceptions (Sir Zielik, some forsaken Holy priests, etc)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by masterjc View Post
    Worgen and Forsaken are unable to become Paladins, because they are immune to Plagues and Curses
    also there was some Light stuff, it burns wielders if they are undead

    there are some exceptions (Sir Zielik, some forsaken Holy priests, etc)
    Bridenbrad would like to have a word with you about Paladins being immune to plague.

    Also, Gilneas had to be evacuated because of the Blight. Not that that has anything to do with Worgen being able to revere the Light, as Worgen Priests exist and worship the Light as noted by the Priest Trainer in the starting zone.
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-03-26 at 07:57 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Bridenbrad would like to have a word with you about Paladins being immune to plague.
    You mean the tribute of a Blizzard employee's brother who died of cancer?
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You mean the tribute of a Blizzard employee's brother who died of cancer?
    So would you like an example of the Reanimated Crusaders who are risen in death and who actively use Avenger's Shields? Sir Zeliek, a recurring boss? Or would maybe the undead Scarlet Crusaders in Stratholme would be a better example?
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-03-28 at 02:41 AM.

  8. #8
    It's bound to happen eventually
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

  9. #9
    The reason is simple. Not enough people want it yet. It's a fictional universe where the rules can be changed and are changed every time there is need. You could argue with the "lore" things but if enough people want them they will happen and then they just simply adjust the rules for it.

  10. #10
    I say there should be Undead Paladins, there shouldn't be any race restrictions on class to begin with. Who really cares? Undead Paladins can exist in rare exceptions and extraordinary circumstances, but our Player Characters are the definition of rare exceptions. While we're at it, bring on Undead Druids with Undead Animal forms, Undead Shaman with Tombstone Totems, I want it all.
    Last edited by choom; 2021-03-26 at 08:13 PM.

  11. #11
    There is no good reason that all races are not open to every class. They have long since established that the lore of this game means nothing

  12. #12
    Elemental Lord Kithelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    8,549
    As long as Nelves get Paladin too I don't care if Undead get it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    There is no good reason that all races are not open to every class. They have long since established that the lore of this game means nothing
    There are great reasons some aren't open to certain classes, it's people like you who say there is no rpg left in the game while cheering for the rpg elements to be destroyed
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    As long as Nelves get Paladin too I don't care if Undead get it

    - - - Updated - - -



    There are great reasons some aren't open to certain classes, it's people like you who say there is no rpg left in the game while cheering for the rpg elements to be destroyed
    any race that can be a warrior and a priest should be able to be a paladin. any justification to the contrary makes no sense.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    I say there should be Undead Paladins, there shouldn't be any race restrictions on class to begin with. Who really cares? Undead Paladins can exist in rare exceptions and extraordinary circumstances, but our Player Characters are the definition of rare exceptions. While we're at it, bring on Undead Druids with Undead Animal forms, Undead Shaman with Tombstone Totems, I want it all.

    I don't mind the restrictions tbh, if its lore and has a point in the game, please go for it. I was just curious about UD Paladins, which in my opinion would be really amazing. I'd vote for one!

  15. #15
    I've always thought that it would be fun if Sylvanas had had an elite guard of Forsaken Paladins. Absolutely zealous in their devotion to her, they would be masochists that actually enjoy the pain that wielding the Light brings them.

  16. #16
    Immortal Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    7,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    As long as Nelves get Paladin too I don't care if Undead get it
    The paladin class campaign from Legion really made me think that the next expasion was going to feature NE paladins. And since the priest class campaign established that Forsaken characters can wield the Light exactly the same than (fully) living people, with none of the until then established drawbacks, I thought that it was a hint at undead paladins, which there already were several examples of in the game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I've always thought that it would be fun if Sylvanas had had an elite guard of Forsaken Paladins. Absolutely zealous in their devotion to her, they would be masochists that actually enjoy the pain that wielding the Light brings them.
    For some reason that made me think of Danuser LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    As for the "hone your skills" argument that some are tossing around, fuck that. Most people want to have fun. They're not logging onto WoW, the video game, as a self-improvement project. That's a ridiculous notion and goes right along with the idea that the game is "work." If it's not 'play' then you're doing it wrong. Sadly this is a concept that the devs seem to have lost sight of in their quest to keep anyone and everyone busy.

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! A Chozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Eorzea
    Posts
    5,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekra View Post
    Why aren't Undead Paladins a thing?
    Because a Paladin helped destroy their lives, and the other Paladins / Holy Light of Creation couldn't do shit against the Scourge.

    It's not about the Forsaken not being able to use Holy magic (they totally can, and if someone tell you they can't they don't know basic 2006 WoW lore), it's about the Forsaken not wanting to. Most don't have faith in the Light, nor trust Holy magic. There are some rarities that can (like Alonsus Faol) but it's quite extraordinary to find someone who didn't lose their faith after dying.

    Also it's uncomfortable as fuck for an Undead to use beneficial Holy Magic. Safe, but they don't feel good doing it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    For some reason that made me think of Danuser LMAO
    My friend over here has absolutely no idea what that is. Naturally I know, but maybe you can explain it for my idiot friend.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekra View Post
    I don't mind the restrictions tbh, if its lore and has a point in the game, please go for it. I was just curious about UD Paladins, which in my opinion would be really amazing. I'd vote for one!
    A little less known, there are also Quilboar, Goblin, Centaur, and Ogres that use some paladin abilities historically (found them while I was looking around for various different Undead that use similar abilities).

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    So would you like an example of the Fallen Crusaders who are risen in death and who actively use Avenger's Shields and Devotion Auras? Sir Zeliek, a recurring boss? Or would maybe the undead Scarlet Crusaders in Stratholme would be a better example?
    First, Fallen Crusaders are zombies that only know Mind Rot which is a stacking shadow dot. Second, you meant Reanimated Crusaders who, yes, use Avenger's Shield but they also use Unholy Light to heal. Third, lore already states that Zeliak's faith was so strong that even though he was undead, he could still use it but lore also states that the necromancy cast on him was strong enough to force control of his body and keep it "alive" while he uses said undead-destroying magic against us. Finally, only the Risen Priest has light-based abilities that aren't also paired with a non-light one. Actually one final point, Holy and Discipline priests that players play are a gameplay thing as Blizzard wouldn't give everyone but Undead 3 specs for priests and Undead only 1 since almost all Undead priests are Shadow.
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •