Thread: Undead Paladin?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I've always thought that it would be fun if Sylvanas had had an elite guard of Forsaken Paladins. Absolutely zealous in their devotion to her, they would be masochists that actually enjoy the pain that wielding the Light brings them.
    Might be kind of fun if in the wake of her deeds in SL she becomes elevated to a kind of goddess at least in the minds of loyalists to the point where they start raising churches of the Dark Lady and it starting a new religion in the world. A lot of the purple gothic architecture of Cata would go nicely with Banshee-themed churches. The Forsaken already have built large statues like the one in Brill and so on to show their devotion to her. It would make it the first religion we would see made with the stories behind the goddess in this case ones we have been a part of and experienced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    First, Fallen Crusaders are zombies that only know Mind Rot which is a stacking shadow dot. Second, you meant Reanimated Crusaders who, yes, use Avenger's Shield but they also use Unholy Light to heal. Third, lore already states that Zeliak's faith was so strong that even though he was undead, he could still use it but lore also states that the necromancy cast on him was strong enough to force control of his body and keep it "alive" while he uses said undead-destroying magic against us. Finally, only the Risen Priest has light-based abilities that aren't also paired with a non-light one. Actually one final point, Holy and Discipline priests that players play are a gameplay thing as Blizzard wouldn't give everyone but Undead 3 specs for priests and Undead only 1 since almost all Undead priests are Shadow.
    Linked some other Undead that do use Devo Aura in the thread. But yeah, Reanimated Crusaders as well as the Reanimated Captains around Scourgeholme are the ones I was referring to with the Avenger's Shield. Also fun to note that there are more dark takes on Paladin abilities, like Hammer of Injustice being available to Paladins in Cata.

The excuse of the power of the magic for a DK being necessary to wield the Light doesn't hold up to risen Scarlet Crusaders in Stratholme, (or even the Avenger's Shield example prior, or other Forsaken or other Undead NPCs) so I don't think that excuse works.

We have lots of Forsaken NPCs who still, despite everything, can and do cast Light spells. Faol, for example. We can't just throw Undead into a Shadow sphere -- the lore has expanded to the point where Light and Shadow are two halves of the same coin now. The Cult of Forgotten Shadows preaches of a balance between the two, which means if Void ever gets too strong that then those members would have to revere the Light. That's how that faith operates.
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-03-26 at 09:19 PM.

its like im in a time machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Calia Menethil and the concept of Light-infused Forsaken are any indication, Forsaken Paladins are inevitable.

The lore reasoning against it has been largely consistent throughout the game's life but as we all know Blizzard has unique ways of circumventing their lore/story to make things... "work" lore/story wise.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    its like im in a time machine.

Let's get another Tinker thread circle-jerk going and the circle will be complete.

This thread is the perfect example of how shit the writing has become. That this can be even argued as a posibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    This thread is the perfect example of how shit the writing has become. That this can be even argued as a posibility.
    In all fairness this is something people have been arguing for at least since TBC if my memory serves and possibly further. We had Zielek, as someone else pointed out, in Naxxramas and we had an undead member of the Argent Dawn in Vanilla.

Personally I expect Forsaken Paladins to happen eventually with the introduction of Calia as an undead raised by the Naaru(?). In general all the playable characters ingame are examples of extraordinary beings so I personally wouldn't mind seeing Forsaken Paladins. I wouldn't play one, but if others would like that then they should be free to do so in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnogard View Post
    In all fairness this is something people have been arguing for at least since TBC if my memory serves and possibly further. We had Zielek, as someone else pointed out, in Naxxramas and we had an undead member of the Argent Dawn in Vanilla.
    Most of the time it was trolls like that guy that keeps pestering everyone about tinkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    They exist but the Undead with faith strong enough to endure such agony is so rare Blizz cant justify a class for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    There is no good reason that all races are not open to every class. They have long since established that the lore of this game means nothing
    Sadly, "Lore"should have been the best reason against the silly shitty idea to begin with.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sadly, "Lore"should have been the best reason against the silly shitty idea to begin with.
    any restrictions or made up nonsense about the light burning the UD alive pretty much went out the window when they gave Tauren priests and paladins. Nothing makes sense. Open the borders

Well get undead paladins the moment our king nullifies his death knight powers for the light once again

I’ve been saying since beta I’d give my right nut to play an undead paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    My friend over here has absolutely no idea what that is. Naturally I know, but maybe you can explain it for my idiot friend.
    Steve Danuser is one of the lead narrative designers. He also seems to be a little too into Sylvanas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohvul View Post
    Well get undead paladins the moment our king nullifies his death knight powers for the light once again
    Not entirely against the idea of Arthas bringing back the Paladin order for the Forsaken as a means of pennance if he came back. Would this mean he'd be serving under Calia, Sylvanas, or Voss as the new Forsaken leader, do you think? It seems a bit more organic for Arthas to rule alongside Calia, but I wouldn't think the citizens of Lordaeron would ever forgive him unless Calia or Sylvanas or Voss somehow grew to such status that they could pardon and it would be accepted much later. If he helped reclaim Undercity or make a new one maybe that'd ingratiate old displaced citizens to him.

Maybe if it was established that Arthas was corrupted and wasn't really in control that'd go over better, but it would depreciate his legacy and story. Maybe it'd be better if he paid pennance over a longer period before being accepted again.

I guess to that angle, just the Lordaeron paladin order believing in him while the rest reviling him would be more organic.

It's kind of interesting how the Forsaken are so tied to the leadership, past and present, and how they can be so easily seen as zealous in their faith of their leaders or hateful of a leader's betrayal that it sparks faiths in either direction in loyalty or spite. It's pretty unique, so I think that's kinda cool.

If Taurens can be Paladins then why not Undead? In fact why not let every race be every class at this point? Not how I would've done it but it is already ruined. Why not throw in some more random races like the "Vulpera" because they look cool or whatever while you are at it. (Before you ask, yes, I am bitter person. )

Bitterness aside, Undead Paladins always made sense to me!

I know lore wise it's probably never going to happen, but I would jump onto the chance to have a male undead paladin. Who knows, if they run with Calia being a light forged undead we might see them soon.
    RETH

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    They exist but the Undead with faith strong enough to endure such agony is so rare Blizz cant justify a class for them.
    Blizzard pulled sun-worshipping Tauren druids out of their behind (among other things) in order to justify Tauren priests and paladins in Cata. Everything is fair game after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Blizzard pulled sun-worshipping Tauren druids out of their behind (among other things) in order to justify Tauren priests and paladins in Cata. Everything is fair game after that.
    Bad writing aside nothing is physically restraining Tauren from worshiping the Sun or using the light any Tauren could become one with the right training/faith.

Undead who use the light fell as if they are being fully engulfed in fire. Undead Paladins who are infused with the Light 24-7 would be constantly feeling the effects. They face an extraordinarily high barrier to overcome unlike any other race except perhaps Void Elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right that lore-wise there is a strong case for a Forsaken Paladin, but I think there's something to be said for having some race-class restrictions. It's a line that's drawn somewhat arbitrarily and Forsaken Paladins just fall on the other side of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Bad writing aside nothing is physically restraining Tauren from worshiping the Sun or using the light any Tauren could become one with the right training/faith.

Undead who use the light fell as if they are being fully engulfed in fire. Undead Paladins who are infused with the Light 24-7 would be constantly feeling the effects. They face an extraordinarily high barrier to overcome unlike any other race except perhaps Void Elves.
    If void elves can "harness the void" without being driven to madness like anyone who has tried that trick before, I can't fathom a reason that an especially masochist/duty-oriented Forsaken can't be infused with light. After all, it wouldn't be any different to a DK being healed by a paladin/priest when it comes to lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I know lore wise it's probably never going to happen, but I would jump onto the chance to have a male undead paladin. Who knows, if they run with Calia being a light forged undead we might see them soon.
    My pally is a belf, and has been since BC. But I'd be really torn between Zandalari or Forsaken pally if the latter were ever introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.