Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Conservative Identity Politics: The Bait and Switch

The GOP constantly warn against coastal elites. Yet they go on to elect wealthy scions like Trump, Hawley, Cotton, and Rafael Cruz.
    Then try to pass themselves off as average Joe.

Why doesnt the media call them out on this bait and switch?

Consider the curious case of Dan Rodimer:
    Runs in NV 2020 with a conventual accent. Loses his race.

Starts a new campaign for a TX district in 2021. All of a sudden its HEY Y'ALL IM BIG DAN WOO HAA.

Which on is the phony? Which one is real? Is this identity politics at it's worst?

That....has to be the whitest fucking family I have ever seen. (I mean my whole family is pasty white, but somehow we ain't as white as that shit.)

And the 2nd ad...that's like

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    The GOP constantly warn against coastal elites. Yet they go on to elect wealthy scions like Trump, Hawley, Cotton, and Rafael Cruz.
    Then try to pass themselves off as average Joe.
    Wow, I'm kinda impressed that he not only went for "The Commies in DC"...he doubled down on it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

This is nothing new. Certainly not for the GOP, and likely for politicians in general. Reagan's cowboy persona was completely fabricated bullshit. Just like Bush 43's farmer persona. They would do those interviews with Bush on his ranch, sitting on a hay bale, wearing a Carhartt jacket, and with a big tractor behind him. What a joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    This is nothing new. Certainly not for the GOP, and likely for politicians in general. Reagan's cowboy persona was completely fabricated bullshit. Just like Bush 43's farmer persona. They would do those interviews with Bush on his ranch, sitting on a hay bale, wearing a Carhartt jacket, and with a big tractor behind him. What a joke.
    Because rural states have an outsized influence in the senate and the electoral college. Like we definitely needed two Dakotas.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Dan Bongino tried the same shit in Maryland, then in Florida.

Carpetbaggers are a fucking cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    Weird how his brother Jeb never had that same ridiculous accent.

Also whats with the cowboy hats? Is Ben starring in a new action movie with Gina, "The 4'10" to Yuma"?

You're from Beverly Hills brah.

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Also whats with the cowboy hats?
    They have to mark themselves as the villain somehow.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Also whats with the cowboy hats?
    Look at my stupid hat! I too fuck my sister! Vote for me!

The GOP constantly warn against coastal elites.
    You're forgetting the part where their version of "coastal elites" seems to consist largely of associate professors at mid-tier colleges. Because...reasons?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my favorite... Trump doing the magnum:

Zoolander doing the magnum:

Do Jack hammers come in gold?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Appeals to identity and demographic lip service are cringey and toxic. It's not a big deal though because eventually people figure out that broad policy-based politics is better than identity politics and that universality is better than tribalism.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    You're forgetting the part where their version of "coastal elites" seems to consist largely of associate professors at mid-tier colleges. Because...reasons?
    Nah, more like Silicon Valley, who have a lot more wealth than most of the GOP and right wing elites.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    You're from Beverly Hills brah.

/s
    Will someone just let me swirly this dippy motherfucker and then shove him in a locker?

Didn't he buy a truck he needs a step stool to get up in too?

Ahem, anyway, welcome to white grievance culture. It's all the party is about at this point. Not like they have an actual platform other than shitting on all the people not like them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Appeals to identity and demographic lip service are cringey and toxic. It's not a big deal though because eventually people figure out that broad policy-based politics is better than identity politics and that universality is better than tribalism.
    All politics are identity politics. There is no distinction between this and "policy-based politics".

Any economic policymaking impacts on socioeconomic class distributions, either changing them in some meaningful way or securing the status quo from such change. Any of those options is identity politics, on socioeconomic class.

Any social support systems are predicated on amending issues of poverty which, again, is identity politics.

Military and diplomatic actions are fundamentally rooted in international divides and borders, and nationality is one aspect of identity, so yep, all military and diplomatic action is identity politics.

I could keep going. Literally all politics are identity politics if you scratch the surface. The current outcry against "identity politics" is nothing more than the far-right fascist crowds trying to suppress policies that benefit or support identity groups they want to use as scapegoats and abuse targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Nah, more like Silicon Valley, who have a lot more wealth than most of the GOP and right wing elites.
    Yes I am aware that they mean Silicon Valley; I bring up “associate professors in mid-level colleges” to point out that conservatives usually rail against “the elite” in the (perceived) cultural sense, not economic.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All politics are identity politics. There is no distinction between this and "policy-based politics".

Any economic policymaking impacts on socioeconomic class distributions, either changing them in some meaningful way or securing the status quo from such change. Any of those options is identity politics, on socioeconomic class.

Any social support systems are predicated on amending issues of poverty which, again, is identity politics.

Military and diplomatic actions are fundamentally rooted in international divides and borders, and nationality is one aspect of identity, so yep, all military and diplomatic action is identity politics.

I could keep going. Literally all politics are identity politics if you scratch the surface. The current outcry against "identity politics" is nothing more than the far-right fascist crowds trying to suppress policies that benefit or support identity groups they want to use as scapegoats and abuse targets.
    No, if all politics were identity politics then we would simply call it "politics". Type the phrase into your search engine and you'll find that identity politics is by definition about particularizing everything while broad policy based politics is about abstracting away the particular details. You personally view everything through the lens of identity sub-groups and who is effected differently and that's fine for you, but your approach to politics is not the only approach.

No, if all politics were identity politics then we would simply call it "politics".
    So....you are saying that identity politics is something you conservatives practice yourselves, but it's only bad when your opponents are doing it?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

still waiting on republican base to figure out this "policy-based politics" part, waiting my entire life to be exact

10+ Year Old Account
    No, if all politics were identity politics then we would simply call it "politics".
    We do.

Until people don't like certain policies, but can't argue against them rationally, and use "identity politics" as a slur to condemn them with an appeal to emotion.

Type the phrase into your search engine and you'll find that identity politics is by definition about particularizing everything while broad policy based politics is about abstracting away the particular details. You personally view everything through the lens of identity sub-groups and who is effected differently and that's fine for you, but your approach to politics is not the only approach.
    I mean, ignoring people's lived experiences, particularly of minority groups', is just nakedly bigoted. And pushing the views of the majority as a political norm instead, which is explicitly identity politics.

If you really want to push that angle.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/04...fits-far-right

While it's generally only applied to politics focusing on the needs of disadvantaged groups, the principles also represent any advantaged group's status quo, implicitly. It's just that they've internalized their privilege as a "norm" and, like you're doing here, attempt to shut down other views.