Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The serious home theater guys still use blu rays because the sound and video quality is better than streaming.

Still watch them at Redbox but I can't remember the last time I bought one except one that was so discounted at said redbox I could buy it for the almost same price as renting it.

I don't usually watch movies more than once or twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just recovered my Indiana Jones (all 4) and my District 9 DVD's with... Tothpaste. They had problems playing and now they play good, don't understand what happened has my DVD's are normally imaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I don't usually watch movies more than once or twice.
    I get bored if i watch the same movie a lot, but i like to re-watch my movies from time to time.

I have a few dvds too. I keep them to show my kids.

DVD's died when people bought PS3's and they could play blu rays. Blu ray players were high priced, and the inclusion of them with a widely used gaming system was huge.

Of course, after streaming became so popular, physical media just went the way of the dodo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest DVD transitioned to digital for me around 2015, I was a bit late. :P

Only thing that hasn't transitioned to digital yet is books, and that is never going to happen. Digital books are wrong and a crime... :P

Less devices are coming with DVD built in as its all about streaming. It's a shame as I do love a good DVD

Even now computers rarely have a disk drive. I shoved in a blue ray burner in my system 4 years ago and everyone was like why bother.

Well...just got Mandalorian season 1 and 2 dvds.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Even now computers rarely have a disk drive. I shoved in a blue ray burner in my system 4 years ago and everyone was like why bother.
    So you can watch DVD's without having to go to the trouble of ripping them. Being able to burn everything including Blu-ray is handy too. My laptop does not have a drive, but I have an external USB Blu-ray drive for it.

I can't actually watch most Blu-ray movies directly but I can easily rip them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another big reason for the death of DVD's is that DVD movies are 480p. Which looks like absolute shit on any 4K TV screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped using dvds when I got a PS3, but tbh I never bought many blu-rays either. I torrented a lot in high school and then went to streaming as an adult.

At that moment, when Bluray became more popular? Or do you count Bluray discs as DVD as well?

Who even buys physical media anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I've been using all digital since like 2010 I think. It's much more convenient and takes up less space. I've been all digital on books for around 5 years now as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still use DVD, if the movie I want isn’t on Netflix.

Personally, I do not like dvd or cd, do not know why, just do not like them. So, I do not use them and do not see any relevant reason to use them in 2021, with all cloud storages and sd cards. The only things that I like from retro it's vinil stuff) that what i collect and care of)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I still use DVD, if the movie I want isn’t on Netflix.
    I won't ever use streaming, so my choices are DVD (the occasional blu-ray if I feel it's something that's worth taking up 25gb on my hard drive, since I can't watch them directly, only rip them), or yar har har. I will keep getting physical media for shows I like as long as it's made...once things become "exclusive" to streaming I will be 100% piracy. I will not EVER pay for digital media unless I get a DRM-free download in a standard format that I can watch offline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I won't ever use streaming, so my choices are DVD (the occasional blu-ray if I feel it's something that's worth taking up 25gb on my hard drive, since I can't watch them directly, only rip them), or yar har har. I will keep getting physical media for shows I like as long as it's made...once things become "exclusive" to streaming I will be 100% piracy. I will not EVER pay for digital media unless I get a DRM-free download in a standard format that I can watch offline.
    Wow you hate streaming that much?

I like Streaming, it is easy, it opens up a lot of choices. While you don’t own the product, buying the product often would cost way more.

Example is Crunchyroll cost about £7 a month, let’s say I watch it for a year (£74). The amount of anime I have watched on there cost WAY more than £74 if I buy them all. So for me streaming is a no brainer.

The thing that annoy me is now everyone try to set up streaming service so all the licenses went to all different playform, there is no “one platform you can watch everything on” anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Wow you hate streaming that much?

I like Streaming, it is easy, it opens up a lot of choices. While you don’t own the product, buying the product often would cost way more.

Example is Crunchyroll cost about £7 a month, let’s say I watch it for a year (£74). The amount of anime I have watched on there cost WAY more than £74 if I buy them all. So for me streaming is a no brainer.

The thing that annoy me is now everyone try to set up streaming service so all the licenses went to all different playform, there is no “one platform you can watch everything on” anymore.
    Because streaming is a slippery slope to "renting" everything. And I want no part in it. I would accept it as a convenience, IN ADDITION to a physical or local copy. Say if there was a streaming service that did what Bandcamp does. You can listen to stuff on the site, or download it in FLAC/OGG. But I am NOT paying money to stream only. I will not pay to rent things that can be taken away at any time.

The closest I'll come to streaming is Youtube. I mean, I don't exactly need a local copy of a SpaceX launch, because the type of stuff I watch on Youtube doesn't tend to be stuff I'd watch again. Even so, with Youtube, I have the option of downloading it if I want to.