Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    "Something something vocal minority"

Unless you can prove that the people complaining about something are, in fact, the minority then don't use this BS argument. Sometimes the people in question are the minority, but other times there are plenty of people who agree but don't care enough to actually post about it.

Also even if a group is in the minority that doesn't that their concerns aren't valid and shouldn't be considered.
    No, however when looking at video games - the options often impact the other group. Blizzard tend to aim for the middle ground, but the majority should be the main concern Blizzard have.

The same can be said the other way as well, when a clear minority try to proclaim themselves as the majority. But really, the thing that grinds my gears the most, is the number of people who use ridiculous hyperbole and extremes when trying to make a point.

- No lifers claiming "every casual should be farming +15s weekly - its extremely easy and they should all be 230 ilvl"
    - Casuals claiming "there is nothing at all to do, I am stuck at 160 ilvl"
    - PvP players saying "a shaved monkey can complete mythic raids because its scripted!!!"
    - PvE players saying "dont even shave the monkey if its just pvp, just hump the pillars and wait for all your cds!"
    - LFR heroes saying "Mythic raids are not hard, you just need to play a lot"
    - Classic players claiming classic is difficult, and its only because of XYZ that everything got killed minutes after going live.
    - Retail players claiming Classic is DEAD and no one is playing it
    - Classic players saying "Classic is so busy I had to wait 3 days in the queue to finally log in, then i couldnt move because there were SO MANY PLAYERS!"

So some pretty broad topics above, but they all share one thing, at least from my perspective - they all make an extreme claim with nothing to back it up at all, and the people making these claims typically present it as a known fact that everyone knows and anyone who disagrees is delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Flying ruins the game". Anyone who thinks that needs to go play classic and leave the rest of us alone.

"Something something vocal minority"

Unless you can prove that the people complaining about something are, in fact, the minority then don't use this BS argument. Sometimes the people in question are the minority, but other times there are plenty of people who agree but don't care enough to actually post about it.

Also even if a group is in the minority that doesn't that their concerns aren't valid and shouldn't be considered.
    Unless you can prove it isn't a vocal minority ....
    Last edited by tacoloco; 2021-03-29 at 12:14 AM.
    I'm a crazy taco.

Can't stand people who want to blame everyone and everything when they don't enjoy the game anymore. These people had fun playing Pac-man and tetris but suddenly think WoW sucks because they didn't give them flying from the get go.

5+ Year Old Account
    "Something something vocal minority".
    Indeed. The most beautiful part of the "vocal minority" argument is that the those using it very seldom can provide proofs of X group being an actual minority. Most of the times they are talking out of their arse though
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    A philosophy I myself follow, yet it takes away complexity from games. RPGs are about making choices.

"Do I want to play a Draenei? But they can't be warlocks and I want to be a warlock. Wonder what the lore is behind that, and what the lore is behind why other races can be warlocks. Oh, looks like Orcs are pioneers of warlockry, that sounds cool so I guess I'll go with that."

Vs just.. selecting a Draenei warlock and getting to the level grind. Making it so every race can be anything they want gets rid of having a thought process behind your choices. It just boils it down to "because it looks cool".

There is far more depth to the story with restrictions, I'd argue. The story is within Blizzard's hands, not ours. Let the creator tell the story they want. If they deem it doesn't make sense, then it doesn't make sense.
    Firstly, you're saying you share the philosophy I discussed, but it is 100% counter to the philosophy you espoused earlier.

Secondly, you're now arguing a completely different point than the last one. Which is fine, but the first point needs some closure before you jump to the next.

Third, you are discussing one choice. One. Not a complex choice, just a single simple choice, that in no way adds complexity to the game. There's more complexity in choosing your covenant in this patch than there is the choice you're speaking about. Not too mention, its not even a choice that exists for all classes, since there are classes that all races can be any way. All it actually turns out to be is a roadblock to some people's preferences for a game designed for them to spend a long time with.

Lastly, I know it is Blizzard's story to tell. I am just saying their adherence to the nebulous concept of "lore" is literally perpendicular to not only the spirit of fantasy fiction but also to having a three dimensional story set in a rich world populated by individuals. Instead it is just a handful of hive minds, splitting up and forming 2 hive minds.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    "Flying ruined the game/you need to appreciate playing the game more slowly/if I don't like flying but other people can do it, I feel forced to use it so therefore people shouldn't be able to fly"

An utterly myopic viewpoint that does nothing but limit Blizzard in their design space.

The game was just fine with Flying from BC through MoP. It wasn't till late MoP that people got restless and started bitching that flying was the heart of everything wrong with the game, and now we have to deal with tedious pathfinder achievements stringing us along through content that isn't made any more interesting by not having flying.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Indeed. The most beautiful part of the "vocal minority" argument is that the those using it very seldom can provide proofs of X group being an actual minority. Most of the times they are talking out of their arse though
    Reality its people both overestimating and underestimating numbers

Lets assume the entire games population is about 3.5 million which is also the approximate population of the state of Conneticuit

The voices we hear are mostly the english speaking population that gives enough of a crap to go on the forums or reddit. Most of us arent exposed to the non english side and pretty sure none of us goes on the Chinease servers nor can read enough mandrin to see what they are saying

So its basically..at most 100 people on their server and (being realistic) about 50-200 people on the forums. Which when compared to that 3.5 million is basically nothing

"If you want player housing, just go to your garrison."

This is such an utterly asinine comment because garrisons absolutely are not player housing. Next to no customization, always in the same location no matter what, and now becoming so irrelevant that pretty much nobody ever goes to their garrisons anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Firstly, you're saying you share the philosophy I discussed, but it is 100% counter to the philosophy you espoused earlier.

Secondly, you're now arguing a completely different point than the last one. Which is fine, but the first point needs some closure before you jump to the next.

Third, you are discussing one choice. One. Not a complex choice, just a single simple choice, that in no way adds complexity to the game. There's more complexity in choosing your covenant in this patch than there is the choice you're speaking about. Not too mention, its not even a choice that exists for all classes, since there are classes that all races can be any way. All it actually turns out to be is a roadblock to some people's preferences for a game designed for them to spend a long time with.

Lastly, I know it is Blizzard's story to tell. I am just saying their adherence to the nebulous concept of "lore" is literally perpendicular to not only the spirit of fantasy fiction but also to having a three dimensional story set in a rich world populated by individuals. Instead it is just a handful of hive minds, splitting up and forming 2 hive minds.
    There have been plenty of characters who are outliers to their faction/race/class. Just none of them are player characters as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    I really do not.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling classic wow dead just shows your stupidity. Every day I log on day or night no matter if its 3pm or 2am on anyday, the zones are packed. The main cities are so full that you can barely click on an npc.

Try again.
    Yeah this isn't true at all. Classic is NOT packed. Not even close. Off peak hours, the majority of servers are pretty much ghost towns. If you like Classic then have a blast but don't be dishonest and claim servers are so packed that you can't even click on NPCs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    From one of the most notorious and annoying threads that which will not be named:

"High Elves will save WoW" or another favorite "If High Elves are put in Blizz will make bank" sad thing is those were literal posted arguments by some.

Seems to be working well for them so far... /s

I had another, but my mind blanked...
    They're not entirely wrong though. Blood elves are the most popular race in game so if Alliance got quel'dorei there would be A LOT more people playing them. Instead Alliance got void elves which were eventually given the appearance option of blood elf colored skin and blue eyes.

That there shouldn't be pvp templets for all instanced pvp (Randoms and Rated).

Gear shouldn't matter in random bgs, rated bgs or arenas. That kind of pvp should be dependent upon skill, not out gearing the other team. Having a higher rating in pvp should still unlock higher level gear, but that should allow you to flex on others in open world.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

That casuals don't deserve character progression and should stick to playing barbie dress up.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    That casuals don't deserve character progression and should stick to playing barbie dress up.
    Yes, that's a dish you see quite often in these boards. You also get to choose between the "casuals want a mythic set in the mail", the "start a group yourself" or the classic "git gud" toppings.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoloco View Post
    "Flying ruins the game". Anyone who thinks that needs to go play classic and leave the rest of us alone.

Unless you can prove it isn't a vocal minority ....
    If you make a claim, it's your job to back it up.

None of them piss me off. Quite a few amuse me however, for example:

-People who deny this game has some pretty significant, developer endorsed P2W elements.
    -People who claim that wanting a "fast smooth run" is something other than wanting to be carried.

That sort of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    That wow is better now than bfa.
    It is. BfA was an absolute dumpster of an expansion.

Rarely do I see that. Rather what I have seen is players don't deserve rewards from content they don't participate in and I agree. I've been a big supporter of alternative forms of progression and usually my biggest opposers are the hard core raid or die crowd that labels themselves a "casual" that fights for the gutting of content and progression systems outside of raiding so that they are not forced to do them in order to progress. I am also a believer that effort should match reward.

Speaking of dress up is among the largest arguments for rewards from content one doesn't participate in.

As soon as I see someone write "if you don't like it, stop playing", I know I'm talking to an idiot.

"It's just beta"
    After more than 15 years, people still say that. And it allways goes lives crappy.

“They should give us more choice” or “this would be more choice so it’s better” or “it’s restricting choice” or “they should just give us the choice”.

The whole “player choice” versus “anti-player design” discourse is childish and asinine. It doesn’t stand up to ten seconds of critical thinking. Those posters should sit down and shut up.

I was about to write the same so this plus one and:

"You don't even play raids/m+/high pvp, so you dont need that gear" - it seriously rustles my jimmies.

This is how I lost all of my more casual friends in WoD, most of them never came back.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV