View Poll Results: Does WoW Need a New Direction If 9.1 Flops?

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • The WoW team would need a serious overhaul of talent

    208 51.11%
  • Change expansion structure: 1 year expansions with 2 raids only to freshen things up.

    26 6.39%
  • Declare modern WoW a lost cause and funnel resources into a theoretical Classic+

    44 10.81%
  • No, nothing should be done.

    129 31.70%

Thread: If 9.1 Bombs...

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
20
... LastLast
  1. #181
    They just have to plan out a great content patches stream for SL,
    meanwhile hire another team of wowclassic-loving engineers and make them do the next expansion.
    let the engineers decide on features and not marketing

    Next expansion has to be crazy big to explore like vanilla, not a choose 1 out of 4 zones kind of shit.
    and a killer music score always helps
    Last edited by iosdeveloper; 2021-03-29 at 10:33 AM.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    i know, but its stil the only one with any real chance. The wow killers of the past were never real wow killers, but this lol mmo, if its a tradional MMORPG the way we know it to be, then wow is undoubtedly done for. that doesnt mean current wow players will stop, many will move but many that are addicted will stay, it just means that the population of the lol mmo will be greater than that of wow, making it be able to take first spot for the first time since wow came out lol.
    Yeah... sure... the big LoL MMO riddled with MTX left and right. It will be succesfull in Asia. I highly doubt it will stay relevant for long in the west. Overmonetized games rarely do.
    No MMO will ever overtake wow. Soooo many (some really really good) MMOs tried. None succeeded. The better ones managed to stay alive with a decent playerbase like ESO, FF14 and Swotor.

    The Lol MMO will be a F2P buy your transmog extravaganza and to make it better, you will look like a peasant without it. Exploit the weak is what riot does well.

    Their games are good. Lol and Tft are amazing (don't like valorant) Never saying anything against that. But MTX and the way theri female characters all look like generic anime girls just rubbs me the wrong way. In a MOBA or TfT i do not care what my character looks like... but this is a big part in a MMORPG... and if i have to pay to get something decent... now way jose.

    Like FF14 with the Mogry Station and their millions of gear pieces you can by there... horrible design. Especcially with the monthly sub on top.

  3. #183
    While 9.1 may be a short-term metric for Blizz, I'm more concerned about the long-term effects, especially since I've been playing since the early stages of vanilla.

    It's been nearing two decades since I started playing this game, and I've found that the players in the game and the changes to the social norms over time are becoming more impactful than the specific content itself. As an example, raiding at the mythic level (or the highest level at any given time in WoW's history) has become more and more unappealing for your average player. I've seen it in my kid, who wasn't even born when WoW launched, where the younger generation isn't really interested in the dedication nor the time commitment that is required for raiding. His generation is more into "pick-up" gaming, where you can jump into a multiplayer game, spend a short amount of time in it (maybe 30min to an hour roughly), then jump out without having to do prep/research or investing large chunks of time at once to even get rewards. Furthermore, the carrot-on-a-stick that used to be gear from raiding is no longer there, as it's been arduous this tier with the lower drop rates and the restrictions of loot drops/trading. Essentially, what my kid's generation is more interested in is the M+/PvP models, with the seasonal model that's become quite common in many games combined with a quick playtime sessions and a reward system that exceeds raiding.

    Generational desires aside, one thing that has been wearing me down with SL thus far are the bugs and constant breaking of encounters. There's always going to be bugs, but the bugs themselves are becoming more serious/impactful and more visible to the average person. It's getting to the point where I probably average finding 4-5 new bugs every week on live servers, while the old ones I report still haven't been fixed (some of them that were even present on the beta haven't been fixed yet). Going back to the raid scene, I noticed around WoD that the raid encounters were progressively getting worse when it came to bugs, and the turn-around time on fixing them has gotten slower. Even Castle Nathria has bugs that still occur and haven't been fixed that can be quite annoying, such as evasion bugs and DC/crashes that put our raids to a halt and cost so much time. I'm not going to say something silly like raiding is dead, but I will say that something will have to change as its trajectory is likely not good in terms of being attractive to the masses.

    Will 9.1 do anything to touch on this aspect? Maybe. There were hints that raiding would get the M+ Valor treatment or some adjustments beyond just increased drop rates, but even the M+ Valor system has many problems in its current state. However, what's wearing me down is that the game still feels like it's in early access. Every time hotfixes roll out, something else breaks, and some bugs I've just resigned will never be fixed despite them actually being impactful and/or annoying. The game experience itself has become exhausting when it shouldn't, and while 9.1 could change things up a bit, there's going to have to be serious overhauls to keep players like myself engaged in the game.

    If we're going down to just numbers analysis, I'd surmise that lockdowns have inflated the numbers when it comes to WoW... and once things open up and get back to normal, the landscape for WoW's playbase will also likely adjust downward. To be fair, many games probably received the covid 'bump' in terms of participation, and in many respects I think gaming developers/companies (Blizz included) have used the situation as an excuse to let things slide way more than they should. It's basically abusing the customer's good will and leniency while still speaking empty platitudes out of the side of their mouths to invoke sympathy and/or empathy. While my words may sound more harsh than I intend, what people need to understand is that the world still goes on despite whatever difficulties people may encounter, and what I heard more often than not from the gaming devs/companies are excuses rather than solutions.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Yeah... sure... the big LoL MMO riddled with MTX left and right. It will be succesfull in Asia. I highly doubt it will stay relevant for long in the west. Overmonetized games rarely do.
    No MMO will ever overtake wow. Soooo many (some really really good) MMOs tried. None succeeded. The better ones managed to stay alive with a decent playerbase like ESO, FF14 and Swotor.

    The Lol MMO will be a F2P buy your transmog extravaganza and to make it better, you will look like a peasant without it. Exploit the weak is what riot does well.

    Their games are good. Lol and Tft are amazing (don't like valorant) Never saying anything against that. But MTX and the way theri female characters all look like generic anime girls just rubbs me the wrong way. In a MOBA or TfT i do not care what my character looks like... but this is a big part in a MMORPG... and if i have to pay to get something decent... now way jose.

    Like FF14 with the Mogry Station and their millions of gear pieces you can by there... horrible design. Especcially with the monthly sub on top.
    haha i mean time will tell. but i think its safe bet they will sell skins lol skins in an mmo yeee. but the total population will most likely be way above wow tho, and nothing is confirmed yet so heres hoping. im sure theyre aware of some of the points uve made.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    They just have to plan out a great content patches stream for SL,
    meanwhile hire another team of wowclassic-loving engineers and make them do the next expansion.
    let the engineers decide on features and not marketing

    Next expansion has to be crazy big to explore like vanilla, not a choose 1 out of 4 zones kind of shit.
    and a killer music score always helps
    The dream is a 10.0 revamped Kalimdor & EK but this time on steroids with a graphical overpass to look the same level of quality as recent expansion zones, to go along with the thousands of new quests, and then somehow tie it all in together and seamlessly meld the leveling experience with the endgame together. I think if that kind of expansion hit the right chords, it would bring a record amount of people back into the game.

  6. #186
    I am Murloc! Asrialol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,190
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    While 9.1 may be a short-term metric for Blizz, I'm more concerned about the long-term effects, especially since I've been playing since the early stages of vanilla.

    It's been nearing two decades since I started playing this game, and I've found that the players in the game and the changes to the social norms over time are becoming more impactful than the specific content itself. As an example, raiding at the mythic level (or the highest level at any given time in WoW's history) has become more and more unappealing for your average player. I've seen it in my kid, who wasn't even born when WoW launched, where the younger generation isn't really interested in the dedication nor the time commitment that is required for raiding. His generation is more into "pick-up" gaming, where you can jump into a multiplayer game, spend a short amount of time in it (maybe 30min to an hour roughly), then jump out without having to do prep/research or investing large chunks of time at once to even get rewards. Furthermore, the carrot-on-a-stick that used to be gear from raiding is no longer there, as it's been arduous this tier with the lower drop rates and the restrictions of loot drops/trading. Essentially, what my kid's generation is more interested in is the M+/PvP models, with the seasonal model that's become quite common in many games combined with a quick playtime sessions and a reward system that exceeds raiding.

    Generational desires aside, one thing that has been wearing me down with SL thus far are the bugs and constant breaking of encounters. There's always going to be bugs, but the bugs themselves are becoming more serious/impactful and more visible to the average person. It's getting to the point where I probably average finding 4-5 new bugs every week on live servers, while the old ones I report still haven't been fixed (some of them that were even present on the beta haven't been fixed yet). Going back to the raid scene, I noticed around WoD that the raid encounters were progressively getting worse when it came to bugs, and the turn-around time on fixing them has gotten slower. Even Castle Nathria has bugs that still occur and haven't been fixed that can be quite annoying, such as evasion bugs and DC/crashes that put our raids to a halt and cost so much time. I'm not going to say something silly like raiding is dead, but I will say that something will have to change as its trajectory is likely not good in terms of being attractive to the masses.

    Will 9.1 do anything to touch on this aspect? Maybe. There were hints that raiding would get the M+ Valor treatment or some adjustments beyond just increased drop rates, but even the M+ Valor system has many problems in its current state. However, what's wearing me down is that the game still feels like it's in early access. Every time hotfixes roll out, something else breaks, and some bugs I've just resigned will never be fixed despite them actually being impactful and/or annoying. The game experience itself has become exhausting when it shouldn't, and while 9.1 could change things up a bit, there's going to have to be serious overhauls to keep players like myself engaged in the game.

    If we're going down to just numbers analysis, I'd surmise that lockdowns have inflated the numbers when it comes to WoW... and once things open up and get back to normal, the landscape for WoW's playbase will also likely adjust downward. To be fair, many games probably received the covid 'bump' in terms of participation, and in many respects I think gaming developers/companies (Blizz included) have used the situation as an excuse to let things slide way more than they should. It's basically abusing the customer's good will and leniency while still speaking empty platitudes out of the side of their mouths to invoke sympathy and/or empathy. While my words may sound more harsh than I intend, what people need to understand is that the world still goes on despite whatever difficulties people may encounter, and what I heard more often than not from the gaming devs/companies are excuses rather than solutions.
    Two questions.

    How much do you play per day/week?

    And, can you give some examples of bugs you encounter? For the past two weeks, what was the 8-10 bugs you found?
    Hi

  7. #187
    World of Warcraft is but a shadow of what it once was. We are just addicts re-re-re-re-imagining every expansion that the game can offer some new idea, a glimpse of something to push the MMORPG genre and so on. At this point the recipe is so transparent that everyone can see it. If only they could keep up the 77 days pacing but nooo wait 6-7 months+ for a shitty new raid go figure. Even if 9.1 does not bomb it will be the same stale shit in 3-4 months because there is little originality left in current WoW.

  8. #188
    But if it does they’ll have classic tbc numbers to inflate the sub numbers to hide behind anyways yes?

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    But if it does they’ll have classic tbc numbers to inflate the sub numbers to hide behind anyways yes?
    Yes. That’s how Classic back in the second half of 2019 saved their numbers after the shitshow that BfA was. TBC Classic will do the same for Shadowlands.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Yes. That’s how Classic back in the second half of 2019 saved their numbers after the shitshow that BfA was. TBC Classic will do the same for Shadowlands.
    So what will happen when it will be time for Classic WoD? Or hell even Classic Catacylsm.

  11. #191
    I think the big concern here is the health of MMOC. This place cannot continue with subs ebbing, interest waning, and lack of frequent patches. I think odds are around 75%-80% that MMOC undergoes a major overhaul in 2021 or possibly even closes outright. People simply do not post here much anymore as it is.

    The MMOC general forum has only like 2-3 active threads at a given time. This place is on its last legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I think odds are around 75%-80% that MMOC undergoes a major overhaul in 2021 or possibly even closes outright.
    Those odds are suspiciously similar to your odds of civil war happening.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    So what will happen when it will be time for Classic WoD? Or hell even Classic Catacylsm.
    the same will happen 100%
    i know i will subscribe every time there is a new classic expansion

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    So what will happen when it will be time for Classic WoD? Or hell even Classic Catacylsm.
    Cataclysm until 4.1 and during 4.2 was pretty fantastic though. But as the poster above said, nostalgia will bring back a lot of people everytime a new Classic version comes out.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

    The MMOC general forum has only like 2-3 active threads at a given time. This place is on its last legs.
    We have fun every two years when the Taylor Swift meme thread comes up with new expansion hype. We just need content patches to datamine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Cataclysm until 4.1 and during 4.2 was pretty fantastic though. But as the poster above said, nostalgia will bring back a lot of people everytime a new Classic version comes out.
    Which speaks volumes about what the game is like.

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    like i said in the post u quoted, the wow killers of the past were never real wow killers, but this lol mmo has the realest chance based on REACH alone. bruh, league of legends has like qudruple the amount of players than wow does. those other mmos didnt.
    arguably wow of the past was much better game.

    who knows how those games would do if blizzard released garbage expansion like SL back in +/- 2008.

    imagine for example WoLK with completly overtuned raids , no badge gear , elitest lfg system and 60 % of playerbase gone after 3 months after release .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2021-03-29 at 11:55 AM.

  17. #197
    This is laughable, whenever Blizzard do something like lay staff off or start selling rubbish pets in the store we get a economic lesson from the fanboys telling us how nieve we all are and thats how business works. So when posed with the question about what if 9.1 bombs and the game starts losing countless subscriptions what do this captains of industry say should be done? - "No, nothing should be done".

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    "Damnit Blizz stop giving me this huge list of stuff I have to do to progress my character" "Ok, we hear you, less mandatory stuff and more optional cosmetic stuff" "Damnit Blizz there's not enough to do to progress my character!"
    I for one don't really care about cosmetics. But going from a huge list to basically next to nothing was not a good idea imo. I think if they made conduits and adventure tables a little more interesting and impactful it would be better. Or even The Maw and Thorghast, even tho I hate them lol. And as I said 9.1 doesn't really put anything new to the table, or they don't feel comfortable to talk about it yet, but whatever the issue is, it's concerning.

  19. #199
    The longer the wait the bigger the expectations. Yet for all we know they are taking so long not because they are making the biggest and greatest content patch, but due to circumstances of working from home.

    At this point I believe that no matter what comes in 9.1 it will not be enough to justify half an year content drought at the start of the expansion.

    Also not because other MMOs do it better, no other is getting the amount of content WoW does, but because we've gotten used to expect better of WoW.

    So I believe 9.1 will be considered a flop regardless.

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    This is laughable, whenever Blizzard do something like lay staff off or start selling rubbish pets in the store we get a economic lesson from the fanboys telling us how nieve we all are and thats how business works. So when posed with the question about what if 9.1 bombs and the game starts losing countless subscriptions what do this captains of industry say should be done? - "No, nothing should be done".
    These posts are just embarrassing at this point. The writing is on the wall. Why keep being deluded about it?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •