Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The difference here is that Gaetz is an insignificant rep who doesn't do anything useful, is not liked by his colleagues and most importantly isn't liked by Trump. He's easily replaceable.
    That was sort of true, but things have changed since. It's the same with Green. Green has become the premier grassroots fundraiser for the GOP. Same is happening with Gaetz, he quite successfully Trumpified himself in the sense that he turned his moral failures into the bragging points that the base can rally around.

Trump doesn't like anyone, he just finds people useful or not. If Gaetz stays the course and his star continues rising and he stays loyal to Trump (which he clearly is going to) it's just a matter of time before Trump finds him useful again. I'm willing to wager Trump would have already threw his support behind Gaetz if he still had access to Twitter. We don't really know for sure what Trump's stance currently is on Gaetz.

He's not going to jail no matter how hard you all fantasize and circle jerk. He's a good boy. That evil Drumphler!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    That was sort of true, but things have changed since. It's the same with Green. Green has become the premier grassroots fundraiser for the GOP. Same is happening with Gaetz, he quite successfully Trumpified himself in the sense that he turned his moral failures into the bragging points that the base can rally around.

Trump doesn't like anyone, he just finds people useful or not. If Gaetz stays the course and his star continues rising and he stays loyal to Trump (which he clearly is going to) it's just a matter of time before Trump finds him useful again. I'm willing to wager Trump would have already threw his support behind Gaetz if he still had access to Twitter. We don't really know for sure what Trump's stance currently is on Gaetz.
    Trump likes his obsequious toadies so it kinda makes me wonder what Gaetz did to get shut out like he did. Since he's a creepy douchebro the worst crime he could commit in Trump's eyes would probably be to say something lecherous about Ivanka. I can see that.

Greene is certainly a similar shithead but probably hasn't done anything too illegal (besides campaign finance). She's also not likely to shit on Ivanka.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just drop in a bit of my trademark negativity.

While I absolutely believe Gaetz should face prosecution, I also know almost for a fact that he won't.

And if he will, it will be some milquetoast slap on the wrist affair.

Despite the litany of crimes he ought to be prosecuted for, his prosecution is a political hot potato.
    I just want to pop in to note that the concept that charges might not be brought because it's a "political hot potato", that is the literal definition of corruption in government. The legal system is intended to be blind to such matters.

If these are federal charges (I think, because they cross state lines, they are, right?), then it's the Democrat-run DOJ responsible for determining charges. If they don't pursue charges, hell, even if they consider not pressing charges because of the politics, that's a damnably corrupt legal system. Entirely rotten to the core, and entirely subject to political whims rather than legal standards and practices. Not just Republicans, but Democrats, since they're the ones running the show now.

Enough of pretending this shit is "normal". It isn't. It's wildly deviant corruption, and calls the entire practice of law in the USA into question.

And before anyone says "oh, but how different is it where YOU live, huh?" In Canada, if an MP gets charged with a crime, they're immediately removed from office. Same day charges are announced. A special election gets called to replace them in their riding. This isn't something that gets reversed if the charges end up dropped, either; they can run again next election, in that case, but that's it. And there's a strong practice of an independent public service here in Canada; ministers give political direction but the people who make up the departments are not political agents, and trying to push them into a political-but-unethical decision usually gets someone screaming to the press and that's the kind of shit that leads to non-confidence votes and elections being called.

This shit is corruption. Gaetz' prosecution being cautious because they need to make sure all their ducks are in a row? Fine. Considering not charging him because of his position? Corruption. Nothing more. Just straight, unadulterated corruption. Even just considering that is corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

This shit is corruption. Gaetz' prosecution being cautious because they need to make sure all their ducks are in a row? Fine. Considering not charging him because of his position? Corruption. Nothing more. Just straight, unadulterated corruption. Even just considering that is corrupt.
    I thought we were done pretending that the US political establishment isn't a third world shitshow, or that there's any true separation of powers between the judiciary and the political establishment.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-06-08 at 03:41 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'll just drop in a bit of my trademark negativity.

While I absolutely believe Gaetz should face prosecution, I also know almost for a fact that he won't.

And if he will, it will be some milquetoast slap on the wrist affair.

Despite the litany of crimes he ought to be prosecuted for, his prosecution is a political hot potato.

It doesn't actually matter what he did, there could be a video out there of him having sex with a literal 12 year old girl, something like 30%+ of the country will not care and will see his prosecution as political persecution, elevating him to a full on martyrdom and sainthood.

Since this scandal started Gaetz actually became a more popular figure in Republican circles than he was before and has become one of the top Republican fundraisers along with another closely associated class act Marjorie Taylor Green.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...first-quarter/

Attempting to seriously prosecute him will likely make this worse and have the GOP full on rally behind him.

While I'm sure there are legions of prosecutors out there who'd happily take this on, I'm not convinced the DoJ is willing to open this can of worms.
    I think your pessimism/negativity is well justified in our current political Post-Fact Era. I will say that there are considerable charges levied against him, with more to come. If I had to bet I would say he will see jail time, however, I also understand where you're coming from. We are in a sad place here in the United States.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to pop in to note that the concept that charges might not be brought because it's a "political hot potato", that is the literal definition of corruption in government. The legal system is intended to be blind to such matters.

If these are federal charges (I think, because they cross state lines, they are, right?), then it's the Democrat-run DOJ responsible for determining charges. If they don't pursue charges, hell, even if they consider not pressing charges because of the politics, that's a damnably corrupt legal system. Entirely rotten to the core, and entirely subject to political whims rather than legal standards and practices. Not just Republicans, but Democrats, since they're the ones running the show now.

Enough of pretending this shit is "normal". It isn't. It's wildly deviant corruption, and calls the entire practice of law in the USA into question.

And before anyone says "oh, but how different is it where YOU live, huh?" In Canada, if an MP gets charged with a crime, they're immediately removed from office. Same day charges are announced. A special election gets called to replace them in their riding. This isn't something that gets reversed if the charges end up dropped, either; they can run again next election, in that case, but that's it. And there's a strong practice of an independent public service here in Canada; ministers give political direction but the people who make up the departments are not political agents, and trying to push them into a political-but-unethical decision usually gets someone screaming to the press and that's the kind of shit that leads to non-confidence votes and elections being called.

They are indeed federal charges, across the board (including the Obstruction, Money Laundering, Wire Fraud, etc - all federal because of the crossing state lines issue).

We should keep in mind, as was pointed out earlier, the initial investigation was brought on by the Trump DoJ. No idea if he knew about it, or if Barr did as well, but at least they didn't brush it aside.

I agree with your corruption point - I just don't think we're seeing it here, in this case/investigation.

Canada has a number of terrific political aspects I wish we shared here in the U.S.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-06-08 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelios View Post
    He's not going to jail no matter how hard you all fantasize and circle jerk. He's a good boy. That evil Drumphler!!!
    hope you're on some data base at least, keep the kids away from you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Somebody knew what Gaetz was up to since some of the evidence against him comes from his seeking a blanket pardon. Whether Trump was fully clued in is anybody’s guess though. If Barr wasn’t aware his DoJ was investigating Trump’s personal butt licker then it’s simply more evidence he wasn’t fit for the job.
    Very true. I would guess that since it did start with Trump's DoJ, that the staff professionals began the investigation. They might not have even told Barr about it, at least at the start. The AG doesn't have to sign off on the beginnings of an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Very true. I would guess that since it did start with Trump's DoJ, that the staff professionals began the investigation. They might not have even told Barr about it, at least at the start. The AG doesn't have to sign off on the beginnings of an investigation.
    Gaetz name probably popped up as they were going down the Greenberg rabbit hole. It's likely that Gaetz's name popped up so many times that even Barr couldn't really sweet it under the rug and was mostly just letting the thing run its course.

Still Barr could have eventually bailed Gaetz out somehow with some plea deal or immunity deal or something had Trump been reelected in 2020.

Still Barr could have eventually bailed Gaetz out somehow with some plea deal or immunity deal or something had Trump been reelected in 2020.
    Given that he didn't even want to be seen around Gaetz, I don't think Barr was looking to stick his neck out for this turd.

If these are federal charges (I think, because they cross state lines, they are, right?)
    Anytime, or nearly anytime, someone commits a crime that causes someone to cross state lines to commit said crime, it goes to the federal level. I believe there are a few exceptions but I am unsure. Also, someone might commit a federal crime that way if they are doing something legal in a state that allows it(like having marijuana on them) and going to another state where it might be illegal as you are now transporting it across state lines.

Rule of thumb would be if you live in the state and do a crime in said state, it is a state crime unless it is against some federal property. If it requires you to go to another state, it gets bumped to federal jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Given that he didn't even want to be seen around Gaetz, I don't think Barr was looking to stick his neck out for this turd.
    Probably, still let's be honest here, Barr would have bailed Gaetz out somehow if it was politically convenient and if it pleased the Orange Twitler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things are not going well for Gaetz.

1) The federal investigation is becoming a sweeping probe of central Florida politics.

Another avenue investigators have been focusing on recently, according to sources, are contracts that Greenberg handed out through the tax office totaling more than $1.5 million, which an independent audit late last year described as "unnecessary" and "considered to be a waste of taxpayer dollars," according to documents in the forensic audit of the tax office obtained by ABC News through a public records request.

Sources told ABC News that investigators have reached out to Keith Ingersoll, whose firm KI Consulting had a $48,000 contract with the tax office that ran between January 2017 and September 2020. The audit found that there was "no evidence of work product" by Ingersoll's group despite the multi-year contract and staff at the tax office being "unaware what this group did."
    Considering we're talking about rich white men, I don't know how much damage these criminal felony theft whoopsy daisy mistakes will cost him, but everyone on this site has a basic idea how "flanking" works. Even a smaller investigation adding to the much larger first is a distraction, and could cause damage Gaetz isn't ready to handle.

2) There's talk now of witnesses, plural. Most likely the second is Ellicott, whose name has come up before.

A subpoena received by one associate allegedly stated that the grand jury is investigating alleged crimes "involving commercial sex acts with adult and minor women as well as obstruction of justice." It also requested any communications, documents, recordings and payments the individual had with Ellicott, Gaetz and Greenberg from 2016 until now, according to Politico.

Ellicott, who was also on the tax office payroll as an assistant deputy tax collector, has a long history with Greenberg; he was a groomsman at the former tax collector's wedding and the pair co-hosted a local sports-themed radio show before Greenberg ran for office.

Ellicott could emerge as a key witness in the ongoing sex traffic investigation, and appears to have information that may be damning to others beyond Greenberg, sources say. In a private text exchange over the encrypted messaging app Signal, Ellicott allegedly told Greenberg last August that a mutual friend was worried she could be implicated in the investigation into the sex ring involving a minor.
    3) FOX News is no longer returning Gaetz's calls.

4) It might be because Gaetz is claiming the FBI started the Jan 6th attacks.

Let me take a second to go over how catastrophically stupid this is. Even if this was true, which no it wasn't, but even if it was, Trump ran the FBI. Yeah yeah "deep state" but that would still mean Trump was incompetent. It would mean that Trump, who ran on the promise of Draining the Swamp, made it all the way to four years and couldn't even keep a department he directly controlled from getting him impeached.

5) Gaetz's former employees are scrubbing his name from their resumes as they flee from even the barest shadow of his tainted history.

6) Multiple sources are now saying Gaetz could be charged as soon as July. If that sounds fast, check the above links. They're all from the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Things are not going well for Gaetz.

1) The federal investigation is becoming a sweeping probe of central Florida politics.

Considering we're talking about rich white men, I don't know how much damage these criminal felony theft whoopsy daisy mistakes will cost him, but everyone on this site has a basic idea how "flanking" works. Even a smaller investigation adding to the much larger first is a distraction, and could cause damage Gaetz isn't ready to handle.

2) There's talk now of witnesses, plural. Most likely the second is Ellicott, whose name has come up before.

3) FOX News is no longer returning Gaetz's calls.

4) It might be because Gaetz is claiming the FBI started the Jan 6th attacks.

Let me take a second to go over how catastrophically stupid this is. Even if this was true, which no it wasn't, but even if it was, Trump ran the FBI. Yeah yeah "deep state" but that would still mean Trump was incompetent. It would mean that Trump, who ran on the promise of Draining the Swamp, made it all the way to four years and couldn't even keep a department he directly controlled from getting him impeached.

5) Gaetz's former employees are scrubbing his name from their resumes as they flee from even the barest shadow of his tainted history.

6) Multiple sources are now saying Gaetz could be charged as soon as July. If that sounds fast, check the above links. They're all from the last week.
    Don't know why Fox News wouldn't be returning his calls when Tucker Carlson is also pushing the same bullshit conspiracy theory that the FBI orchestrated the January 6th failed coup.

And I hope he gets charged soon, because the mere fact that shitstain is still on the House Judiciary Committee, talking to people like Christopher Wray about the failed coup he tried to help along, means a huge conflict of interest and he should be removed as soon as possible.

https://projects.propublica.org/poli...03792032813057

If Democrats want to defund the police, they should start with the FBI.
    Tweeted, and deleted, by Matt Gaetz one minute later.

Why is a guy under criminal investigation by the FBI still on the Judiciary Committee, by the way?

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1407760828821037064

Unrelated to the investigation, but related to Matt Gaetz, Gen. Mark Milley was pretty non-plussed with Gaetz behavior and when given an opportunity took him to task for questioning US officers commitment to the country over being "woke".

Nice shot of Gaetz pathetically shaking his head, guess he's not quite so bold and brave when he's faced with an adult military official instead of a sex worker, especially an under age sex worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://projects.propublica.org/poli...03792032813057

Tweeted, and deleted, by Matt Gaetz one minute later.

Why is a guy under criminal investigation by the FBI still on the Judiciary Committee, by the way?
    So .... isn't trying to defund the people investigating you a Trumpian level of obstruction?

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status...80765421740032

Matt Gaetz, who has never served in the military, thinks that because Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff thinks that having an open mind and being well read is a boon to US servicemembers, that's why the US "fought considerably more wars than we've won."

Just a reminder: The Republican party is firmly anti-military, and anti-critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    So .... isn't trying to defund the people investigating you a Trumpian level of obstruction?
    Wasn't he also the only person who voted against a bill to combat sex trafficking? Funny that huh?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Wasn't he also the only person who voted against a bill to combat sex trafficking? Funny that huh?
    The only person in Congress to do so. And IIRC he similarly was the only person to vote against a similar bill when he was in the FL House.

Weird that he seems so concerned about the "rights" of human traffickers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought I was in the other thread.

Probably wishcasting, that any preview of hell would include Matt Gaetz.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2021-06-24 at 09:24 PM.