Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    https://www.adn.com/nation-world/202...er-jan-6-riot/

Pretty comprehensive article here, stating Roger Stone documenting his crimes on January 6th and before. We have seen this in other threads.

But, this is about Matt Gaetz and Joel Greenberg. Roger Stone was trying to get pardons for Gaetz and Greenberg as well.

Stone’s plan also proposed a pardon for former Seminole County, Fla., Republican tax collector Joel Greenberg, who had been indicted on charges that included the sex trafficking of an underage girl. The previous month, Greenberg had written to Stone to ask for help securing a pardon and they discussed a potential $250,000 fee, the Daily Beast has reported. The report said that Stone denied interceding on Greenberg’s behalf.

Later in 2021, Greenberg agreed to a plea deal and to cooperate with investigators on inquiries into possible sex offenses allegedly involving Gaetz, previously a friend of his, The Post and other outlets reported. Greenberg’s attorney said he declined to comment. Gaetz denies any improper activity with underage girls.

On Jan. 15, Stone told the filmmakers he endorsed a proposal - one that was then not publicly known - for Trump to install Jeffrey Clark, a loyal senior Justice Department official, as attorney general. Stone outlined a scenario in which Trump would order acting attorney general Jeffrey A. Rosen to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Biden. When Rosen refused, Stone said, Trump would oust him and appoint Clark.

“Clark, I think, would carry out the order of the commander in chief,” Stone told the filmmakers. News that Trump had indeed considered replacing Rosen with Clark was made public a week later.

Stone’s pardon wish list also included Michael Sessa and Victor Orena, former members of the Colombo crime family serving life sentences for murder and racketeering convictions in the 1990s. Their attorney, David I. Schoen, has also represented Stone.

After the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, Roger Stone drafted a five-page “Stone Plan” for Donald Trump to preemptively pardon Stone, Republicans in Congress and “the America First movement” from prosecution for their efforts to overturn Trump’s 2020 election defeat. Stone said he gave the plan to Trump.

Stone told the filmmakers he hoped to persuade Trump to hire Schoen to represent him in his Senate impeachment trial on charges of inciting an insurrection. With Schoen advising Trump, “all that pardon stuff is easy,” Stone said. (After Trump left office, Schoen did join his defense, and Trump was acquitted when less than the required two-thirds of the Senate voted to convict him.)

On Jan. 17, Stone and Schoen exchanged text messages about their talks with Trump. “I think you will hear from the president shortly,” Stone wrote. Schoen reported back that he spoke with both Trump and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, saying the president telephoned him for what he called a “long call” and a “great call.”

Schoen told The Post that the calls with Trump and Meadows were focused on him joining Trump’s impeachment defense team. A spokesman for Meadows did not respond to a request for comment.

A spokesman for Trump acknowledged questions from The Post but did not provide responses to them.

But as Biden’s inauguration neared, Stone’s plan met stiff opposition from White House lawyers.

Schoen told Stone in a text exchange on Jan. 18 that Trump had called him again but was hesitant to commit to pardons. “He started to go down that road, but stopped,” Schoen wrote, adding that Trump “sees he is stymied by cip,” referring to Cipollone.
    @Breccia @Edge- @cubby

This is basically the Washington Post's article, but without a paywall.

The only reason that people weren't pardoned between the 6th and the 20th for January 6th attacks, was Pat Cipollone. But Roger Stone was trying to get pardons for Gaetz, Greenberg, and 2 Colombian drug lords and murderers for $250k a pardon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    But Roger Stone was trying to get pardons for Gaetz, Greenberg, and 2 Colombian drug lords and murderers for $250k a pardon.
    Scummy as hell. Sadly, not illegal. Does make it sound like everyone just accepts Gaetz is a pedo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Scummy as hell. Sadly, not illegal. Does make it sound like everyone just accepts Gaetz is a pedo, though.
    Pardon's for cash, I believe that is illegal as hell.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    One might call it a "quid pro quo", which I've heard is a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You'd think, but nobody's been arrested yet.

Honestly I don't know if Stone broke the law by telling Gaetz he could get a pardon for $250,000. I think that falls under "tricking a desperate pedo". Maybe if we can prove Stone tried to bribe Trump it's obstruction of justice, but right now I'm just wondering if Gaetz paid him.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/v...e-3f7cafa18776

Well, It looks like it is actually illegal, and in effect Bribery. Especially since all of the people that were asking for pardons, were people covering up crimes they committed for Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Well, It looks like it is actually illegal, and in effect Bribery.
    If we can prove Stone actually tried to deal with Trump. What we have is Greenberg offering Stone $250,000 for something Stone couldn't provide. And Stone not doing it.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...kki-story.html

And we're back! Greenberg is set to be sentenced in August, so a short 3 months. Wondering if this means he's nearing the end of his cooperation with the feds, because it's sure sounding like it -

U.S. District Judge Gregory Presnell also ordered federal prosecutors to file a status report on their case against Greenberg by July 13. That report can be sealed from the public, according to the judge.

U.S. Attorney Roger Handberg said in a court motion this year that releasing the contents of such a status report “may cause subjects of ongoing investigations to flee, destroy evidence, disclose facts that could jeopardize ongoing criminal investigations, and cause witnesses named in the status report to be subject to possible harassment or retaliation from individuals” being investigated.
    Now to wait for more updates and see if they move on anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, the thread moved.

WaPo reports that Gaetz sought a Trump pardon for, yes, fucking children.

Congressman Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) told a former White House aide that he was seeking a preemptive pardon from Trump regarding an investigation in which he is a target
    "Whoa whoa whoa! We Trump supporters only believe random rumors if we like them! Otherwise it's Fake News, even if it's true! We choose not to believe protected sources because we can pretend they don't exist!"

Um..

"Wait, I'm moving the goalposts. Now it also has to be a Trump family member or close WH employee."

Um...

"Wait, I'm moving them further. Now it has to be under oath, even though Trump never does that."

according to testimony given to the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Johnny McEntee, according to people familiar with his testimony, told investigators that Gaetz told him during a brief meeting “that they are launching an investigation into him or that there’s an investigation into him,” without specifying who was investigating Gaetz.
    "God fucking dammit."

McEntee added that Gaetz told him “he did not do anything wrong but they are trying to make his life hell, and you know, if the president could give him a pardon, that would be great.” Gaetz told McEntee that he had asked White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows for a pardon.

Asked by investigators if Gaetz’s request for a pardon was in the context of the Justice Department investigation into whether Gaetz violated federal sex trafficking laws, McEntee replied, “I think that was the context, yes,” according to people familiar with the testimony who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

The testimony is the first indication that Gaetz was specifically seeking a pardon for his own exposure related to the Justice Department inquiry into whether he violated sex trafficking laws. His public posture in the final months of the Trump administration was much less specific, repeatedly calling for broad preemptive pardons to fend off possible Democratic investigations.

McEntee testified that Gaetz met him briefly one evening and discussed the issue of a pardon but McEntee could not recall whether their conversation happened before or after the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, according to people familiar with the testimony.
    So there we have it. A prominent member of the Party of Trump, and therefore Republicans, was fishing for a pardon because he had sex with a child. "I didn't do anything wrong but want a pardon anyhow" doesn't sound very credible to me.

Yep, the thread moved.
    Could actually have updated this last month, but didn't think of it. The investigation is expanding.

That day, if it comes, is likely still months off. Two attorneys said prosecutors will take extreme steps to avoid the appearance of interfering with the midterms, and expected any announcements involving Gaetz would likely come several weeks after the November election.
    The investigation into Gaetz himself is only one item in an expanding queue. The probe of Greenberg alone has uncovered so many layers of public corruption in Central Florida that investigators have had to peel them apart one by one: illicit real estate deals; embezzlement of federal COVID-19 paycheck assistance; a local Republican scheme to run “ghost” candidates; a public corruption plot involving a number of powerful state figures; and ultimately the sex trafficking investigation involving the congressman himself.
    The guy working the case has so much on his plate he's basically overwhelmed with criminal acts by the GOP.

For a possible reason why the delay specifically for gaetz's crimes:

In another signal of the investigation’s scope and progress, three sources told The Daily Beast that prosecutors turned their attention to Tallahassee this spring. According to the sources, this previously unreported action involved interviews with possible witnesses and subjects in connection to another spoke of the Gaetz case—an alleged public corruption scheme to influence marijuana policy, said to involve state officials.
    If you remember from earlier reporting, flying those underage girls to the bahamas to fuck people was part of the marijuana policy lobbying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    So Matt Gaetz joins Twitch in all of the irony that comes with that if you know about Twitch's resent problems with sexual misconduct.

And who does he retweet? Who? A fellow conservative voice on the platform? No he tweets (probably a staffer) Hasan Piker, someone who couldn't be further left of him with a massive following.

I thought the tweet was going to be taken down by now but apparently not

https://twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/sta...tVQMoOFoA&s=19

Of course the streamer had to reply.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Career prosecutors recommend no charges for Gaetz in sex-trafficking probe
    Career prosecutors have recommended against charging Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) in a long-running sex-trafficking investigation — telling Justice Department superiors that a conviction is unlikely in part because of credibility questions with the two central witnesses, according to people familiar with the matter.

Senior department officials have not made a final decision on whether to charge Gaetz, but it is rare for such advice to be rejected, these people told The Washington Post, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the deliberations. They added that it is always possible additional evidence emerges that could alter prosecutors’ understanding of the case.
    well crap

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    well crap
    That is disappointing. Oh, well, it's not like this story is going away. Hopefully the fact that he paid a child for sex is brought up in every debate and town hall he's ever in for the rest of his life.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So they're not going to press charges on Mat Gaetz for sex trafficking because one of the witnesses, a friend of Gaetz, is unreliable because they're a sex trafficker?

Fuck this legal system

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    So they're not going to press charges on Mat Gaetz for sex trafficking because one of the witnesses, a friend of Gaetz, is unreliable because they're a sex trafficker?
    I suspect without evidence that the issue is the victim refused to testify.

Fuck this legal system
    Specifically when they had other witnesses, and payment records linking him to the crime. And the senior legal expert over at CNN calling it prosecutorial malpractice dropping charges on Joel and giving him a sweetheart deal who they now claim is unreliable. This whole thing is rotten.

10+ Year Old Account

Fuck this legal system
    You see, he's a rich, white guy with political influence, which means you need everything to be overly-confirmed to even think about prosecuting. If he were a poor black guy, you'd ignore the DNA evidence that clears him and convict him to a multi-decade sentence on the basis of one person's testimony. To paraphrase one conviction for rape that was recently vacated because of exactly that kind of prosecutorial misconduct.

The white supremacy and corruption lies in both the low burdens of proof required to convict black suspects and the far higher bars applied to wealthy white men. Not just the former.

I've never seen a more punchable face.

Fuck this legal system
    I mean, maybe, and for all the reasons Endus laid out, but doesn't the whole article strike you as super sketch? For all we know the sources are Gaetz's roofi bros, and it says they haven't made a decision. Or maybe I'm still plagued by hope.
    Last edited by Levelfive; 2022-09-23 at 09:39 PM.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit