Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The Future of World Buffs in Classic Era

The Future of World Buffs in Classic Era
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Hey everybody!

We know that there’s a lot of excitement for Burning Crusade Classic, but we haven’t forgotten about the Classic Era servers. One of the defining features of raiding in Classic has certainly been the prevalence of world buff stacking, and while there are some interesting social effects – coordinating turn-ins, leveling alts, world PvP at buff locations, there’s also an obvious negative element – once you’re buffed, you’re incentivized to log off and stop playing to preserve your buffs. If you want to log off to go make dinner or put your kids to bed, that’s completely fine and the timing works in your favor. But if you still want to repair your gear, shop for consumables, or run a dungeon with your friends, then it’s not great to be losing precious minutes on your buffs, or worse, risk dying and losing them entirely. We’ve been wanting to do something about that side-effect, without completely abandoning our philosophy for WoW Classic, so we’re going to try something new in Patch 1.13.7: The Chronoboon Displacer.

What is it?

The Chronoboon Displacer is an item you buy which takes a snapshot of your world buffs, such as Rallying Cry of Dragonslayer, Songflower, etc. and saves them for use at a later time. Of course we don’t want to change things too radically, so it comes with some significant restrictions: While you are under the effects of the Chronoboon Displacer, you can’t benefit from any of the world buffs that it’s holding for you. That keeps you from getting a second set of buffs, and then still feeling like you need to log off. Also, when you release the buffs from the Chronoboon Displacer, it puts the item on a 1 hour cooldown so that you can’t toggle your buffs on for bosses and off for the rest of the raid.

How does it work?

First, you collect all your world buffs the way you normally would – getting your summon to Dire Maul, a portal back to Stormwind or Orgrimmar for your Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer, a quick trip to Yojamba Isle to turn in the Heart of Hakkar, or whatever subset of world buffs your raid expects or that you feel comfortable with. Then you activate your Chronoboon Displacer, which creates a Supercharged Cronoboon Displacer in your inventory and an aura which holds the captured state of your world buffs. You can mouse over that aura at any time to see which buffs are stored, and how much time is stored on them. You can then go about your business, secure in the knowledge that your world buffs are saved and ready for use when you need them most. When you’re ready to restore them, simply activate the Supercharged Chronoboon Displacer and it will break apart, releasing the stored auras back onto your character.

Where do I get one?

Well, given the complex temporal mechanics involved, you obviously need to make a deal with a Bronze Dragon, and you can find a friendly one named Chromie located in Andorhal in the Western Plaguelands. Of course she’ll likely want your help repairing the time stream first, but once you’ve helped her out with that, she’ll be happy to sell you as many Chronoboon Displacers as your heart desires.

Why now?

We launched Classic with an intent to keep the game data the same as it was originally, and we wanted to make sure we delivered on that promise, but now that we’ve been through all the content phases we planned before launch, we took a step back to consider what it really means to have the world buff system stay this way in Classic Era. A persistent world where everybody is traveling around for magical items and spells to maximize their power is fine, but one where they then stop playing to avoid wasting them seems wrong. Having an additional stop that lets you “bottle your buffs” seems like a thematically appropriate change to alleviate that problem.

We know this is a change, and any change to Classic is something we want to be careful with, but in this case, the fact that playing optimally literally requires you to stop playing was just too much for us to sit idly by. If you have any concerns about ways this might be abused, please post them here so we can address them. We hope you’ll all find this change as exciting as we do!

I mean it makes sense. Sure people will grab it at the start of a week or whatever. Does the timer still pause when you log out? You could get them, bottle, use the bottle, do a few bosses log out and log back in to bottle for a different boss if it doesn’t count down lol

Blizzard puts so much effort into this, when removing the world buffs all together (in raids) would have been the much easier solution.
    Do classic players really think its fun to collect all these buffs for each raid?

This is a question for all buffs, consumables etc. Is it fun to chuck 20 potions before each boss?

And then when you're what 50-100 % stronger, do you feel proud to have killed the boss?
    Quite an achievement !
    Last edited by GnomeEU; 2021-03-31 at 01:16 AM.

This is an early April fools right

Early April fools?

Sounds like it...is it?

No...sounds too real...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by christarp View Post
    This is an early April fools right
    LoL you beat me to it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeEU View Post
    Blizzard puts so much effort into this, when removing the world buffs all together (in raids) would have been the much easier solution.
    Do classic players really think its fun to collect all these buffs for each raid?

This is a question for all buffs, consumables etc. Is it fun to chuck 20 potions before each boss?

And then when you're what 50-100 % stronger, do you feel proud to have killed the boss?
    Quite an achievement !
    I only use 2 shadow prot for Loatheb, 1 gnpp for Thadd, 1 shadow and 1 frost for Saph and 1 Frost for KT. The "20 potions before pull" isn't even close, maybe if you're like the main tank or something?
    Also I'm not sure 10% crit, some mp5, 300 hp and a little more stats makes me 50% stronger. Most/all of the consumes are mp5 or effective intellect, cept for like the Valentine's chocolate, which yes, is sweaty, but still only +40 healing, not exactly "50% stronger".

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha this is April fools for sure. They wouldn’t be this insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I only use 2 shadow prot for Loatheb, 1 gnpp for Thadd, 1 shadow and 1 frost for Saph and 1 Frost for KT. The "20 potions before pull" isn't even close, maybe if you're like the main tank or something?
    Also I'm not sure 10% crit, some mp5, 300 hp and a little more stats makes me 50% stronger. Most/all of the consumes are mp5 or effective intellect, cept for like the Valentine's chocolate, which yes, is sweaty, but still only +40 healing, not exactly "50% stronger".
    Well I’ll say as a warrior, the world buffs do indeed make you over 50% stronger. Gives enough crit to just never be out of rage. Rogue I imagine is the same. Then there’s warchiefs blessing which is also big. I remember laughing when I refused to get world buffs very early on in classic cause my dps was shit. I couldn’t figure out why other warriors did so much better. Then I decided to try it out and yeah my dps doubled. They’re huge.

Probably the most elegant change they could have made without pissing off any part of the community too much. Glad they kept it somewhat lore friendly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fuck? I understand the philosophy behind it, but I heavily disagree with it. This will make the buffs completely mandatory, and basically officially part of the raid scene. And due to the way these buffs are acquired, makes it a super frustrating pre-raid ritual you always make. Plus, not only that, you can now unleash these buffs in ways that wasn't really feasible before, possibly trivializing many of the fights.

You either do nothing, or nerf them somewhat, so you are much less incentivised to not to play to waste something that wasn't all that powerful to begin with. And also undispellable, so someone doesn't dispell it for shits and giggles.

Unless it is an early April Fools, then well played.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-03-31 at 01:43 AM.

Hopefully it's april fools.

But if it isn't then it translates to:

We are losing our time played metric and will write something so it looks like we are doing this in the best interest of the player and not really because it's actually affecting us.

About 18 months too late but nice idea.

no changes would be better, but this seems like an okay quality of life fix.

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post

We are losing our time played metric and will write something so it looks like we are doing this in the best interest of the player and not really because it's actually affecting us.

Why hopefully? This is nothing but a win for people who actually raid.

They do something for the community, they complain.
    They dont do anything, they complain.

Why does blizz even bother dealing with these classic players? Just let that overhyped museum rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Why hopefully? This is nothing but a win for people who actually raid.
    I would argue, "actual raiders are the ones doing it without buffs"

The ones using the buffs are the...what are they? Hardcore Tryhard Heavy Pumper of Steroids no Effort Raiders?

I dont get it any of this...
    Wasnt Classic WoW said to be MEGA EASY?
    Why do people need this buffs then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    They do something for the community, they complain.
    They dont do anything, they complain.

Why does blizz even bother dealing with these classic players? Just let that overhyped museum rot.
    Guess you don't read the non-classic forums filled with complaints either.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post

why would they care about time played metrics? they get your money monthly so as long as your paying for a month it wouldn't matter if you logged in once or a hundred times.

Don't know if it's the best solution, but I'm glad that they're at least trying to make sensible changes. Hopefully they don't go overboard and listen to feedback.

Was actually laughing at a funny april fool's joke... but then i looked at a calendar

Being true, i consider it extremely silly. But hey, if its what the Classic Era players really want, i'm happy that Blizzard is doing it. I loved Classic, played it -immensely- over a year, but the whole min-maxing, world-buff stacking crazyness was too much for me. Personally, i rather they just disable world buffs, it's just too much of an hassle to go around the world collecting them, checking timers, dealing with all the guild scheduling and summons\portals, bla bla. Not my cup of tea!

Problem with that item is that you don't have a reason to not get world buffs.

Removing them when you zone in an instance would have done a much better job