Back after many years

I am thinking about getting back into WOW after over a decade away. I am in the process of trying to get my character recovered from Blizzard.

My question, what games do I need to get started? Per Blizzard the last game I had was Battle for Azeroth. Do I need updates? Do I need to buy the original again?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to play retail WoW, you need to buy Shadowlands. If you want to play Classic, AFAIK all you need is the monthly sub fee. TBC Classic is coming out soon, so now would be a good time to level up a character to 60 and prepare for TBC.

If you want to just play Classic, then you don't need your old character, and even for Retail, it isn't really a big time investment to start over from level 1 with how fast they made leveling in Shadowlands prepatch. It all depends on how much you care about old things you had on your original account. Most people level to 50 in under 10 hours I think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mulliganplummer View Post
    I am thinking about getting back into WOW after over a decade away. I am in the process of trying to get my character recovered from Blizzard.

My question, what games do I need to get started? Per Blizzard the last game I had was Battle for Azeroth. Do I need updates? Do I need to buy the original again?
    You always need to buy the most current expansion, all the old ones are free. So you need a sub, and shadowlands. However if you are planning to play classic (which is what I assume you mean, since you posted this in the classic forums) you just need a sub. As classic. And tbc classic are free to get, just need a sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Welcome back! A decade later and the sub is the same cost and the original game is free. Pretty sweet imo.

Assuming you’re sticking to Classic, and no idea if the character they’re restoring will be a Classic or Retail (safe to assume retail).