Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    Has anyone managed to find some reliable numbers on the 3070 ti? Most reviewers only covered the 3080 ti.
    Next week i think we will get reviews.

I was really hoping for things to be a bit more... sane this time around but nope, retailers here have 3080 ti's in stock for 2200 Eur. So if thats anything to go by, the 3070 Ti will be around 1100 Euros... thats just...

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/TBLinAz

I'm genuinely disgusted and my day is ruined, we need an authority to control this phenomenon.
    Good prices exist, until they don't, because of these fools making a living out of it, this is advocating evil and apes are legally getting richer.
    The first seller sold 8 of those cards and made less profit than this scalper is trying to make with just one.

You also got this kid.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-56270058
    The main issue is concentrated production really, for the past decades many neoliberal countries (not always carrying the name mind you) have actively refused to think strategically in the name of "respecting the free market", thus leading to such wonderful bottlenecks and the like (Taiwan in example is facing a shortage of _water_ in its rather formidable chip production processes, and its energy usage is already absurd and only getting worse thanks to the fact the new generation lithographic machines consumes 20 times more energy).

The most hilarious part though is that the past few years local producers of lithographic machines, which happen to be the uncontested best in the world, have been bothered to no end by Dutch, European, American and various Asian governments over this shit, so now the red tape is putting an even bigger dampener of potential production growth.

So yeah, strategic incompetence on the parts of governments, market forces and the "demos" (people) backing them is an underappreciated aspect of this occurence.

That said why do people care about this here? My throwable laptop of €250 can run it, admittedly not pretty but to pay just that for a low end graphics card seems absurd in WoW's context.
    Last edited by loras; 2021-06-04 at 05:45 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    That said why do people care about this here? My throwable laptop of €250 can run it, admittedly not pretty but to pay just that for a low end graphics card seems absurd in WoW's context.
    Probably because most people might stay subbed continously to WoW but don't actually play it all the time. I for one really enjoyed Castle Nathria but 3 months is the sweet spot of running the same raid for me. After that it's mainly running M+ with friends which is fun, but also not all the time.

So it's on to other games in the lull before new content and to enjoy Cyberpunk we need new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    3080TI was only ever going to be a cash grab by Nvidia. They've probably been kicking themselves for the past months over the $699 MSRP of the 3080 when board partners, distributors, retailers etc are raking in the cash by selling them at 3x the price.

3080TI is simply a way for Nvidia to effectively raise prices without the negative PR of raising price of an existing product. It's sort of a pre-scalped 3080 by Nvidia that is only possible because of the current out of control market situation.
    Depends which way you look at it. I see it as a budget 3090, which is great if you need that sort of power which chances are you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Still costs $700.
    That's the world we live in now. Cards aren't going to get cheaper.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Ya, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's near impossible to get 3070 and 3080 going forward, since they can essentially use 99% of the same parts for the TI models and sell them at the jacked up TI prices.

Not to mention, prices going forward in the next generation of cards will be a shit show, since they know they can get it now with crypto being crazy now days and 4k gaming finally attainable.

It's sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    Has anyone managed to find some reliable numbers on the 3070 ti? Most reviewers only covered the 3080 ti.
    It's exactly the same thing as 3070, but 5-10% better, just like the 3080ti is to the 3080.

No shit. My point was the price hasn’t increased and it’s not really all that much more expensive than the tier has always been. It’s not like partner cards that jumped price or scalped cards.
    Right as you mentioned, at least here in EU asus is selling the 3080ti at 1899 for the TUF and 1999 for the Strix. Prices are just all over the place.

As always though, it's people willing to pay these stupid prices enabling them to do so. FE msrp is more or less in line with other generations, excluding the 3080ti which got a bump up.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Zero reason to buy either of those over the FE, let alone a Ti.
    Yeah. I'd buy the TUF just because of the looks, but not at this price. The 3080 was a great deal at msrp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Yeah. I'd buy the TUF just because of the looks, but not at this price. The 3080 was a great deal at msrp.
    So was the 3070 and 3060

The 3000 series was a massive step up from 1/2000, but then the global silicon shortage happened

I mean the ti is just a cash grab. I could argue a few ti of the skews in the past were solid power user options to folks that money was no object but this one is a very, very, very, calculated cash grab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Depends which way you look at it. I see it as a budget 3090, which is great if you need that sort of power which chances are you don't.
    3080TI omits the only reason someone would get a 3090 though, the massive VRAM. 3090 was and remains an awful value card for gaming as it's barely any better than a 3080 for gaming but at more than twice the price. But the 3090 is still good for certain content creation work due to that large VRAM.

3080TI is shit value for both gaming AND content creation as it has barely any more VRAM than 3080 and is barely any faster for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    But the 3090 is still good for certain content creation work due to that large VRAM.
    With FlightSim and Simracing in 4k-VR the 3090 is my only real option - using a 10900k + 3090 + reverb G2 (4k headset).

MID/HIGH 4k settings barrely get me over 45fps for 90Hz (motion reprojection) to have a clear picture with a smooth VR experience.
    Lowering the resolution, using other low-HQ headsets or lowering the renderscale are making VR to a gimmick, since you can't read instruments anymore or in Simracing you wont see your breaking points clear enough - compared to a normal screen setup.

MSFS uses in 4k 15-17GB VRAM after a while, the 3080 wont meet the min FPS for 4k-VR, nor does it meet the normal VRAM demands in 4k gaming.

Of course the 3090 is a stupid choice for CS:GO / shooters that run on APUs/iGPUs allready in playable framerates, but its not like there isnt a 3090 use-case to take advantage of the performance and VRAM with the 3090 in gaming.

And with Simracing / Flightsim gaming it's usually not really a budget consideration anymore, since the gear you are using is a multiple of what a 3090 does cost.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-06-06 at 10:38 AM.
    -

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cryptocurrency was a mistake. At best it's a speculative and highly volatile security and at worst it's a tool for money laundering.

Why do I say this? Because it's crypto mining that has largely been driving up GPU scalping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    but its not like there isnt a 3090 use-case to take advantage of the performance and VRAM with the 3090 in gaming.
    Of course not, but you have to realize just how incredibly niche your situation is.. And that it also doesn't disprove what he's saying, that the only saving grace the 3090 has over the 3080/ti being the amount of VRAM it has. It's just much, much more common to find content creation work that needs more than 10/12gb of VRAM rather than gaming work loads.

Also the reason MSFS uses that much VRAM is that it's horribly optimized and (probably?) has a memory leak

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Why do I say this? Because it's crypto mining that has largely been driving up GPU scalping.
    No it isn't, stop spreading misinformation. It's that there just isn't enough silicon production in the world right now. Literally all silicon fabs are running at 100%, and have for A LITERAL YEAR, and it's still not enough.

If it was just Crypto, you'd be able to buy consoles, CPUs, and hell, car manufacturers wouldn't be running out of chips either.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Probably because most people might stay subbed continously to WoW but don't actually play it all the time. I for one really enjoyed Castle Nathria but 3 months is the sweet spot of running the same raid for me. After that it's mainly running M+ with friends which is fun, but also not all the time.

So it's on to other games in the lull before new content and to enjoy Cyberpunk we need new hardware.
    Fair enough, i do something similar admittedly, though not with gaming.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Cryptocurrency was a mistake. At best it's a speculative and highly volatile security and at worst it's a tool for money laundering.
    So it's exactly like the stock market then? Also, money laundering happens with normal fiat anyways. Crypto can actually make it harder becuase of the public ledger. All transactions are public, anyone can check them. Normal fiat cash is actually better for money laundering than crypto becuase its untracable. Once you know an etherium/bitycoin address, you can see EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION THEY HAVE DONE OR RECIEVED. Can you say the same for cash?

Just more uninformed myths.

Looks like my local shop got a truckload of 3060s and not enough buyers for their earlier €1000+ prices.

I have a bequiet Dark Power Pro 550W psu so most of the cards available are off it seems. Only GF Eagle, Vision and Gaming are recommended 550W. Vision and Gaming have 3 fans and should be more quiet than Eagle? Both are 1837MHz. Any reason to choose Gaming over Vision, comparison chart at Gigabyte website shows the very same details for both, i can't figure out a difference.

ASUS TUF-RTX3060-O12G-GAMING 749,00 EUR
    ASUS DUAL-RTX3060-O12G - OC Edition 849,00 EUR

Gigabyte RTX3060 Gaming OC 699,00 EUR
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 EAGLE 12G 699,00 EUR
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 VISION OC 12G 729,00 EUR
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 GAMING OC 12G 749,00 EUR
    Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 ELITE 799,00 EUR

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 AMP - White Edition 699,00 EUR

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly there aren't really any reason to buy expensive versions of mid-tier cards, just get the cheapest one

Overall seems the prices are slowly going down - veeery slowly. Still not worth buying anything, especially TIs. By the time prices are back to normal NVidia will launch the next serie of cards and the cycle will begin anew, but i think we will see baseline prices just pumped up 2000-serie style.

he solution is build shit tons of capacity to meet the demand.