Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I mean the ti is just a cash grab. I could argue a few ti of the skews in the past were solid power user options to folks that money was no object but this one is a very, very, very, calculated cash grab.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Depends which way you look at it. I see it as a budget 3090, which is great if you need that sort of power which chances are you don't.
    3080TI omits the only reason someone would get a 3090 though, the massive VRAM. 3090 was and remains an awful value card for gaming as it's barely any better than a 3080 for gaming but at more than twice the price. But the 3090 is still good for certain content creation work due to that large VRAM.

3080TI is shit value for both gaming AND content creation as it has barely any more VRAM than 3080 and is barely any faster for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    But the 3090 is still good for certain content creation work due to that large VRAM.
    With FlightSim and Simracing in 4k-VR the 3090 is my only real option - using a 10900k + 3090 + reverb G2 (4k headset).

MID/HIGH 4k settings barrely get me over 45fps for 90Hz (motion reprojection) to have a clear picture with a smooth VR experience.
    Lowering the resolution, using other low-HQ headsets or lowering the renderscale are making VR to a gimmick, since you can't read instruments anymore or in Simracing you wont see your breaking points clear enough - compared to a normal screen setup.

MSFS uses in 4k 15-17GB VRAM after a while, the 3080 wont meet the min FPS for 4k-VR, nor does it meet the normal VRAM demands in 4k gaming.

Of course the 3090 is a stupid choice for CS:GO / shooters that run on APUs/iGPUs allready in playable framerates, but its not like there isnt a 3090 use-case to take advantage of the performance and VRAM with the 3090 in gaming.

And with Simracing / Flightsim gaming it's usually not really a budget consideration anymore, since the gear you are using is a multiple of what a 3090 does cost.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-06-06 at 10:38 AM.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

The Patient
    Cryptocurrency was a mistake. At best it's a speculative and highly volatile security and at worst it's a tool for money laundering.

Why do I say this? Because it's crypto mining that has largely been driving up GPU scalping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    but its not like there isnt a 3090 use-case to take advantage of the performance and VRAM with the 3090 in gaming.
    Of course not, but you have to realize just how incredibly niche your situation is.. And that it also doesn't disprove what he's saying, that the only saving grace the 3090 has over the 3080/ti being the amount of VRAM it has. It's just much, much more common to find content creation work that needs more than 10/12gb of VRAM rather than gaming work loads.

Also the reason MSFS uses that much VRAM is that it's horribly optimized and (probably?) has a memory leak

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Why do I say this? Because it's crypto mining that has largely been driving up GPU scalping.
    No it isn't, stop spreading misinformation. It's that there just isn't enough silicon production in the world right now. Literally all silicon fabs are running at 100%, and have for A LITERAL YEAR, and it's still not enough.

If it was just Crypto, you'd be able to buy consoles, CPUs, and hell, car manufacturers wouldn't be running out of chips either.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Probably because most people might stay subbed continously to WoW but don't actually play it all the time. I for one really enjoyed Castle Nathria but 3 months is the sweet spot of running the same raid for me. After that it's mainly running M+ with friends which is fun, but also not all the time.

So it's on to other games in the lull before new content and to enjoy Cyberpunk we need new hardware.
    Fair enough, i do something similar admittedly, though not with gaming.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    Cryptocurrency was a mistake. At best it's a speculative and highly volatile security and at worst it's a tool for money laundering.
    So it's exactly like the stock market then? Also, money laundering happens with normal fiat anyways. Crypto can actually make it harder becuase of the public ledger. All transactions are public, anyone can check them. Normal fiat cash is actually better for money laundering than crypto becuase its untracable. Once you know an etherium/bitycoin address, you can see EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION THEY HAVE DONE OR RECIEVED. Can you say the same for cash?

Just more uninformed myths.

Looks like my local shop got a truckload of 3060s and not enough buyers for their earlier €1000+ prices.

I have a bequiet Dark Power Pro 550W psu so most of the cards available are off it seems. Only GF Eagle, Vision and Gaming are recommended 550W. Vision and Gaming have 3 fans and should be more quiet than Eagle? Both are 1837MHz. Any reason to choose Gaming over Vision, comparison chart at Gigabyte website shows the very same details for both, i can't figure out a difference.

ASUS TUF-RTX3060-O12G-GAMING 749,00 EUR
    ASUS DUAL-RTX3060-O12G - OC Edition 849,00 EUR

Gigabyte RTX3060 Gaming OC 699,00 EUR
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 EAGLE 12G 699,00 EUR
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 VISION OC 12G 729,00 EUR
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 GAMING OC 12G 749,00 EUR
    Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 ELITE 799,00 EUR

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 AMP - White Edition 699,00 EUR

Honestly there aren't really any reason to buy expensive versions of mid-tier cards, just get the cheapest one

Overall seems the prices are slowly going down - veeery slowly. Still not worth buying anything, especially TIs. By the time prices are back to normal NVidia will launch the next serie of cards and the cycle will begin anew, but i think we will see baseline prices just pumped up 2000-serie style.
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

he solution is build shit tons of capacity to meet the demand.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMoody View Post
    he solution is build shit tons of capacity to meet the demand.
    Considering the demand will probably fall again and that it takes 5-10 years to make a fab, that is an awful idea

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Considering the demand will probably fall again and that it takes 5-10 years to make a fab, that is an awful idea
    He literally copy/pasted that post from the first page; all 9 of his posts are copy/pasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    He literally copy/pasted that post from the first page; all 9 of his posts are copy/pasted.
    Doesn't surprise me, but the point bears repeating that it's not a solution

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike NVIDIA any more. Enter for a chance to purchase a GPU!
    https://www.windowscentral.com/nvidi...-stricken-gpus

No it isn't, stop spreading misinformation. It's that there just isn't enough silicon production in the world right now. Literally all silicon fabs are running at 100%, and have for A LITERAL YEAR, and it's still not enough.

If it was just Crypto, you'd be able to buy consoles, CPUs, and hell, car manufacturers wouldn't be running out of chips either.
    I have heard about the silicon issues,i havent looked in to it much,heard people were looking to sell old phones for the materials in it being pretty valuable now,i wonder whats going to happen if this keeps up

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I have heard about the silicon issues,i havent looked in to it much,heard people were looking to sell old phones for the materials in it being pretty valuable now,i wonder whats going to happen if this keeps up
    Well for starters, in my corner of the world used cars are higher priced than brand new ones; the caveat being that you'd have to wait several months in order to get that new car due to lack of existing inventory and the chip shortage bringing production to a near halt.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2021-06-24 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Just when I thought I couldn't dislike NVIDIA any more. Enter for a chance to purchase a GPU!
    You'd rather they be picked up instantly by scalpers?

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    THE PRIVILEGE OF PAYING ONLY 1450$ FOR A 3080Ti

hahaha this is total bu*****t. The 3080Ti is already an overpriced card, "just" a 250$ premium on top. Agree it's better than scalpers, but it's still crap. I get it's basically a 3090 with half memory, but it exists only because the 3090 is not a gaming GPU and you can make "double" the cards - it's a cash grab from nvidia.

This serie would have been an incredible one, if it wasn't for the perfect shitstorm

- - - Updated - - -

You'd rather they be picked up instantly by scalpers?
    Chances are most people who would win this will just resell it at scalper prices
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

Here is hoping that in a year or so, Intel enters the market and is competitive enough if the drivers hold up.

Going to be using my 1060GTX with 6Gb ram till prices are more normal again.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins