Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Its not just mining. Theres a massive shortage in silicon thats mostly affecting prices right now. Most of the silicon thats available, has been routed to what has been deemed as essential and its not gaming gpus. It doesnt help that a massive chip manufacturer in China was involved in a pretty big fire, further slowing production.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/b...ortage-delays/
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56486242
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2021-04-03 at 01:59 AM.

It's not just crypto. Here's a short list of things that set back silicon production.

•Covid
    •Chinese new year
    •Reduced international flying, causing less cargo movement
    •Reduced cargo ship movement. Docks closed and backed up for months
    •Contaminated yields at some foundries
    •Cryptomining
    •Scalpers
    •Increased demand for consumer electronics, thanks to a majority of schools and workplaces going digital
    •New generation of gaming consoles
    •Apple going ARM
    •Intel dropping the ball as cpu market leader. AMD eating up TSMC production
    •Nvidia creating a mining line of graphics cards
    •AMD/nVidia not able to meet market demand at launch.

Etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Something Wicked View Post
    Or maybe make hardware custom designed for miners, that are both cheaper and utterly useless for gaming, and then leave the actual GPUs targetted for gaming.

Crazy thought, I know. God forbid.
    Yeah, nVidia did this. Problem is miners aren't interested because due to lack of i/o those cards have zero resale value.

I love bashing miners as much as the next guy, but they are not the main cause of the shortage. But it's really mostly down to the entire population of the world getting stuck at home for over a year and suddenly realizing that you can't do shit on the phone, and needing to get some hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    TIL that people trying to make money during a global economic collapse are "scumbags" because their purchases are inconvenient to gamers.

Gamers really are the worst fandom in existence.
    Ah yes, global economic collapse. Can you be any more disingenuous and dramatic? Poor bitcoin miners, generating an imaginary currency that wastes a boatload of electricity and can fuck with the economy as much as other high risk and volatility investments. I'm sure all those miners that bought fifty to a hundred or more 700$ cards were barely making ends meet - not enough money to buy food or even some toilet paper.
    Last edited by TehTemplar; 2021-04-03 at 04:45 AM.

It's simply a shortage. I hate scalpers as much as anyone but it won't be an enticing hobby now if there wasn't such a disparity between the supply and demand.

It sucks, I wanted to upgrade to the new 30 series myself but it's still a luxury gaming hardware. You'll live just fine without it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    i wouldn't mind some regulation regarding artificial scarcity. but let's be honest that's only a part of the problem this time around.

not too worried about miners, that's either going to blow over, get regulated or the supply side will adjust for it. will take some time but it'll happen.
    There is nothing artificial about this scarcity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    An affordable, yet powerful and mining exclusive / specific card is really the only thing we can hope for.
    A card that is designed for just miners is still one less card available for gamers. The materials and wafers don't come out of thin air.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

TIL that people trying to make money during a global economic collapse are "scumbags" because their purchases are inconvenient to gamers.

Gamers really are the worst fandom in existence.
    They aren't just scumbags, they are literal waste of space on this planet and can all go diaf for all I care.

They are taking products from retailers, who are well equipped and prepared for dealing with end users and are selling the products in places that are less convenient to use for more money while making the product take longer to reach the end user. What is their added value to the transaction?

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

A card that is designed for just miners is still one less card available for gamers. The materials and wafers don't come out of thin air.
    Sure, but at least we remove one problem from the equation. While we still share the same production materials, at least we don't share the same market anymore.

Once the material shortage is resolved, we will at least have removed the incentive to buy gamer cards.

Quote Originally Posted by TehTemplar View Post
    Ah yes, global economic collapse. Can you be any more disingenuous and dramatic? Poor bitcoin miners, generating an imaginary currency that wastes a boatload of electricity and can fuck with the economy as much as other high risk and volatility investments. I'm sure all those miners that bought fifty to a hundred or more 700$ cards were barely making ends meet - not enough money to buy food or even some toilet paper.
    All currency is imaginary. Weve been on fiat currencies for a long ass time. Gold Standard died out a long ass time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Sure, but at least we remove one problem from the equation. While we still share the same production materials, at least we don't share the same market anymore.

Once the material shortage is resolved, we will at least have removed the incentive to buy gamer cards.
    You missed the point. Theyll still buy the gamer cards, because they can resell them. This isnt the first time a company has released a headless mining card. They didnt sell then either. Because the miners cant resell them after they use them, they dont buy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    They aren't just scumbags, they are literal waste of space on this planet and can all go diaf for all I care.

They are taking products from retailers, who are well equipped and prepared for dealing with end users and are selling the products in places that are less convenient to use for more money while making the product take longer to reach the end user. What is their added value to the transaction?
    Their money is the same colour as yours. The "end user" is anyone who buys the fucking thing and uses it for whatever they want; be it gaming, cryptocurrency mining, graphic design, or as a fucking paperweight.

What makes your uses more valid than theirs?

How self-absorbed can you fucking get? Seriously, you deserve to do without for having this attitude.

Everyone looooooves capitalism until it bites them on the ass. This is hysterical

Their money is the same colour as yours. The "end user" is anyone who buys the fucking thing and uses it for whatever they want; be it gaming, cryptocurrency mining, graphic design, or as a fucking paperweight.

What makes your uses more valid than theirs?

How self-absorbed can you fucking get? Seriously, you deserve to do without for having this attitude.
    Oh yeah, if they keep the card, more power to them for getting it. I could not care less then. What winds me up are the scalpers, who are literally abusing their position in the market (able to place orders before others for one reason or another on an item with very limited stock) with the sole intention of jacking up the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    Everyone looooooves capitalism until it bites them on the ass. This is hysterical
    Scalping has nothing to do with capitalism. Scalping is predatory business practice and should be treated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    All currency is imaginary. Weve been on fiat currencies for a long ass time. Gold Standard died out a long ass time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

You missed the point. Theyll still buy the gamer cards, because they can resell them. This isnt the first time a company has released a headless mining card. They didnt sell then either. Because the miners cant resell them after they use them, they dont buy them.
    I don't think that was the point, but you're right regardless. That's why we need to stay patient and never buy cards at scalping prices.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    You bois and grils mad?

Scalping has nothing to do with capitalism. Scalping is predatory business practice and should be treated as such.
    Arbitrage, baby.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Nothing to do with capitalism and compared to other econ systems where you couldn't even dream of ever getting anything coveted in your lifetime, capitalism wins because it allows everyone to have a shot.
    If you say so

10+ Year Old Account
    You're wresting with an ancient force here called demand and supply. And people are always trying to profit from it.

For a planed PC hardware refresh/new build there was enough time to get any GPU for MSRP you wanted.

Q4 / 2020 had enough stock for gamers and in EU it was even easier to get the GPU you wanted for MSRP, since shops started blocked non-domestic orders and with scalpers and bots beeing more a US issue, it was very easy to order a GPU at stock - with hours of time to do it or with higher end GPU you had DAYS to order the GPU without bot/scalper competition.

Yes 6+ months later its bad, but it was similar with the last 2 GPU gens aswell. Mining boom mid GPU tier or NVIDIAs lowering stock to keep the prices high for a refresh GPU are nothing new.

It sucks if you need suddenly a new GPU, but if it was a foreseeable upgrade, its on you that you did not upgrade in Q4 / 2020 when gamers could do it easy.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is just patently false.
    Not entirely. I know people who managed to get 3080s for the MSRP in Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    Arbitrage, baby.
    Ye, no. Arbitrage expects two different markets and the transactions to be instantaneous (or as instantaneous as possible). What scalpers are doing is removing all the supply from a market and then returning it to the same market at increased price. Nice try though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Not entirely. I know people who managed to get 3080s for the MSRP in Finland.
    I wouldn't call it easily though. You did have to scan the shops and be there as soon as new stock appeared. Stuff was usually gone within couple of hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call it easily though. You did have to scan the shops and be there as soon as new stock appeared. Stuff was usually gone within couple of hours.
    Here you could place an order even if there was no stock. So you could pay the MSRP for the card then wait couple months/weeks depending on your place in the queue and get your card.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no.

I was at one of the biggest UK retailers for RTX 3080 launch. They had 20 avaliable cards for public sale at their shop. Rest were for their pre-built systems and online. I was number 10 in the queue and got one, but there were at least 50 people outside the shop at 1am, when they went on sale at 2am. I got lucky coz I decided to go earlier to get some other parts,a dn happened to enquire about when they went on actual sale and how many they had, and was offered a ticket tyo come back at 2pm and skip the line.

Proof:

Edit: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...14425-pdt.html

Holy fuck, £1000.

I've been gaming and mining on mines. What does that make me?
    Last edited by Tommi; 2021-04-04 at 01:11 PM.