Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    And there you have it, that is exactly the point they've been making. You have stronger laws restricting speech than the USA does. That is literally what they've been telling you.
    Except you are absolutely free to expose your free thinking about anything, if, its presented and reasoned in a proper fashion that doesn't violate anyones (person or instution) rights.

The restriction is about saying stuff that doesn't follow the proper standarts to protect the person integrity. I will give an example, you can say a guy has deserted from the military forces but you can't call him coward. That hard to understand?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Except you are absolutely free to expose your free thinking about anything, if, its presented and reasoned in a proper fashion that doesn't violate anyones (person or instution) rights.

The restriction is about saying stuff that doesn't follow the proper standarts to protect the person integrity. I will give an example, you can say a guy has deserted from the military forces but you can't call him coward. That hard to understand?
    So you don’t have free speech. You have tone policing.

In the US you could call him a coward without repercussion.

That's not free speech, not by a long shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Explain what going rogue means.
    If you used brute force to impose your view over others, then that is going rogue

Because as far I can tell, it's legal in the US.
    That happens because your constitution doesn't take in cosideration Moral integraty, has mine does.

Would standing outside a church and using a megaphone to shout out the minister, be legal in Portugal?
    Depends of what you say, normally the police would just disperse the manifestation.

Yes. So part of your constitution itself restricts free speech, in ways the US constitution doesn't. Thanks for paying attention.
    Except it doesn't, my constitution protects free speech, has it is in 37 1.

Again, your rights are more restricted than ours. There's nothing barring us from calling him a coward. We don't have to give a reason for our comments unless they're false statements about specific facts. Even if the statements are false about specific facts you're still not going to jail for it, it just opens you up to them suing you for money, again, unlike Portugal, where you can spend multiple years behind bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

If you used brute force to impose your view over others, then that is going rogue

That happens because your constitution doesn't take in cosideration Moral integraty, has mine does.

Depends of what you say, normally the police would just disperse the manifestation.

If you cannot call your President a racist Nazi, then you don't have free speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's not free speech, not by a long shot.
    Really? My constitution enforces respect over other people, it doesn' limit the freedom of speech at all.

Really? My constitution enforces respect over other people, it doesn' limit the freedom of speech at all.
    Then, you don't have anything close to free speech. The point of free speech, is to protect it, even when you don't like what is being said.

That is literally a limitation that is being pointed out.

Your constitution itself restricts free speech. Ours doesn't allow it. Your laws are interpreted with a body composed of 4 more members than ours. That's pretty much the only substantive difference between the person that's the subject of this thread and a member of Portugal's Constitutional Court.
    That would be an infringement on our rights if they dispersed the gathering. Your rights are more restricted than ours.
    Again, I'm using the words from the constitution as well. That's the bolded bit in post 165. A literal separate administrative entity may be empowered by your assembly to curtail speech.

- - - Updated - - -

If you cannot call your President a racist Nazi, then you don't have free speech.
    Oh, in Portugal if it's the government you're insulting the penalties are multiplied by 50%.

Edit: For that source:

Art. 184 of the Portuguese Criminal Code states that when defamation or insult is committed against a wide range of government and public figures in virtue of their function, the minimum and maximum punishments are raised by one-half.

Double Edit: The maximum prison sentence you can get for speech in Portugal looks to be 4.5 years, even if it doesn't get anyone killed.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2021-04-11 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes you can, the excerp of the constitution i quoted protects racial integrity aswell. But we would use the word fascist instead.

Then, you don't have anything close to free speech. The point of free speech, is to protect it, even when you don't like what is being said.
    Free speech is about defending your beliefs, your point of views, you can say whatever you want, and local judges even accept bad wording often.

That is literally a limitation that is being pointed out.
    A US Judge say that there should be limitation to free speech, and i said i am against, because in my constitution there is nothing that limits to me in doing so, where is the limitation?

I didn't even offended the judge integrety, even i am free to call him a commie or a fascist. Again, where is the limitation?

Yes you can, the excerp of the constitution i quoted protects racial integrity aswell. But we would use the word fascist instead.

Free speech is about defending your beliefs, your point of views, you can say whatever you want, and local judges even accept bad wording often.

A US Judge say that there should be limitation to free speech, and i said i am against, because in my constitution there is nothing that limits to me in doing so, where is the limitation?

I didn't even offended the judge integrety, even i am free to call him a commie or a fascist. Again, where is the limitation?
    You can say what you want, unless it's mean. If you say something bad about the government, we will punish you.

That's not free speech.

So, I could call your President a racist Nazi? Can you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your constitution itself restricts free speech.
    No, it limits moral offenses. I can say i don't like the governement, i don't like the President, i can say i don't like roads with holes, or the public education, i can say i don't like how NHS is dealing with the covid-19 situation, i can say whatever i want, where is the limitation? The right to insult other people is disrepectual, and my country protects peoples integraty, being moral, or phisical, yours don't.

Again, there is absolutely no limitation. I will give an example, if i lived in Saudi Arabia i would not be able to say i don't believe in Islam, there, i just said it.

- - - Updated - - -

You can say what you want, unless it's mean. If you say something bad about the government, we will punish you.

That's not free speech.

So, I could call your President a racist Nazi? Can you?
    Anyone in portugal is free to speak bad about the governement? I do it quite often, whats the problem?

About the only speech that you can be punished for with jail in the US is planning a crime like murder or theft (and only then after you take some concrete action to enact said plan), yelling fire in a crowded theatre, telling a rowdy mob to kill a bunch of people standing within walking distance, and threatening to injure/kill someone. In Portugal that's not even remotely the complete list. There's literally no such thing as criminal defamation in the US. There are literal blasphemy laws in Portugal:

Offending a person in virtue of his religious belief, or denigrating an object of religious worship in a way that could disturb public order, or vilifying a religious practice is punishable with a prison term of maximum one year or a fine of maximum 120 days (Portuguese Criminal Code Arts. 251-252).

No, it limits moral offenses. I can say i don't like the governement, i don't like the President, i can say i don't like roads with holer, or the public edication, i can say i don't like how NHS is dealing with the covid-19 situation, i can say whatever i want, where is the limitation? The right to insult other people is disrepectual, and my country protects peoples integraty, being moral, or phisical, yours don't.

Again, there is absolutely no limitation. I will give an example, if i lived in Saudi Arabia i would not be able to say i don't believe in Islam, there, i just said it.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone in portugal is free to speak bad about the governement? I do it quite often, whats the problem?
    So, you could call your President a racist Nazi, and suffer no repercussions?

No, it limits moral offenses.
    It does this by limiting free speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you could call your President a racist Nazi, and suffer no repercussions?
    I just don't say the majority bacause he was elected with 60% of the votes... A lot do it.

I just don't say the majority bacause he was elected with 60% of the votes... A lot do it.
    A lot of people call him a racist Nazi?

But, what about moral integrity?

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing i am sure, it isn't Portugal that is discussing limitations of free speech, i would love to know the motivations of that judge, and what sort of limitations he defends.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people call him a racist Nazi?
    he isn't the most popular in the left, at the eyes of the portuguese comunist party he is a fascist, the commies call fascists to anyone that isn't left winged.

But, what about moral integrity?
    Takes a lot of effort to collect evidences, and judges commonly just ignore that.

EDIT:
    Because of article 37.

One thing i am sure, it isn't Portugal that is discussing limitations of free speech, i would love to know the motivations of that judge, and what sort of limitations he defends.

- - - Updated - - -

he isn't the most popular in the left, at the eyes of the portuguese comunist party he is a fascist, the commies call fascists to anyone that isn't left winged.

Takes a lot of effort to collect evidences, and judges commonly just ignore that.

EDIT:
    Because of article 37.
    So, there are restrictions to free speech, but you are saying theya re too lazy to enforce them?