Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The idea that Trump couldn't block people because it's official government communication but Twitter could block Trump because private company is a direct contradiction.
    Twitter can't pass laws that will send you to jail. The government can, and setting the precedent that the gov't can silence dissenting speech is a justified fear. All twitter can do is ban you from their platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    On the OP, the thread title is kinda awful to be honest for the reasons that I've mentioned before. The problem is NOT that Clarence Thomas thinks free speech should be regulated, because it already IS. The problem is that he was floating the idea of specifically regulating a piece of it for partisan political reasons, rather than a good faith argument over how such a restriction is required for protecting all citizens and allowing society to function properly.

Lets be honest though, whatever you think about his specific GOALS in bringing up such regulation, the broader topic of where things like social media fits into society is one that desperately needs more clarity. The idea that Trump couldn't block people because it's official government communication but Twitter could block Trump because private company is a direct contradiction. I'm personally of the opinion that the government has been in the wrong on that topic, Twitter has not (to my knowledge) asked to be the official method of communication for any government function, and the government shouldn't be using it as such. But having a single thing being official or unofficial depending on the whims of which is most useful that day is BS and only causes confusion and problems.
    It absolutely is not a contradiction.
    There is a difference between a Twitter account and Twitter as a platform. Just like there’s a difference between book and a library.

Trump administration said he was using his account for official business. That’s on them. All he had to do was limit his official business to his White House/POTUS account and he could block all he wanted on his personal account. He wouldn’t because he’s an evil narcissist who can’t admit a thing he did was improper.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Twitter can't pass laws that will send you to jail. The government can, and setting the precedent that the gov't can silence dissenting speech is a justified fear. All twitter can do is ban you from their platform.
    What triggered this whole thing was a previous ruling that Trump couldn't block people because the account was official government communication. If twitter accounts are official government functions, that throws the ball into a completely different court than if they're just a side thing on a private platform that the government uses. This isn't a discussion about whether or not Twitter can pass laws, it's a discussion about what regulatory structure should be applied to it. Private corporation or public forum. They have different rules, and right now the confusion is leading to rules being applied or not somewhat haphazardly.

Again, I'm personally of the belief that the private corporation rules are the correct ones, and if the government has recently been /using/ it as a public forum then that is because the government is wrong, not because the rule set is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Unfortunately tech companies have the USCDA to deal with and that is why can be changed on them. Of course, it'll be on the USSC to determine to what length sites like Twitter and Facebook can be considered platforms and publishers, and that is the more contentious issue surrounding section 230 of the CDA.
    Again, you don't know what the section 230 actually does. All it does, is protect Twitter and other platforms like Facebook from being sued because of what their users say on their platforms. Removing section 230 would just make it so that MORE moderation would happen like forcing a check on the post before it is cleared to be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Again, you don't know what the section 230 actually does. All it does, is protect Twitter and other platforms like Facebook from being sued because of what their users say on their platforms. Removing section 230 would just make it so that MORE moderation would happen like forcing a check on the post before it is cleared to be posted.
    Removing 230 would basically remove all forums like mmochamp or reddit from the internet. We would need to provide government issued IDs to register on any site that we post information on and all posts would have to be filtered vefore being allowed to be posted or something. Otherwise sites like mmochamp would be liable or fined millions of dollars if they happened to have something on their site that they didnt immediately remove or prevent from being posted.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Removing 230 would basically remove all forums like mmochamp or reddit from the internet. We would need to provide government issued IDs to register on any site that we post information on and all posts would have to be filtered vefore being allowed to be posted or something. Otherwise sites like mmochamp would be liable or fined millions of dollars if they happened to have something on their site that they didnt immediately remove or prevent from being posted.
    No, it would just severely limit posting. Just imagine it taking days for a moderator to respond to a post here as it is, then it would require days more for a post to be approved.

No, it would just severely limit posting. Just imagine it taking days for a moderator to respond to a post here as it is, then it would require days more for a post to be approved.
    This is assuming some troll user won't find an issue with the post and convince an ignorant judge to agree. It's not worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
    This is assuming some troll user won't find an issue with the post and convince an ignorant judge to agree. It's not worth the hassle.
    Which, again, I highly doubt it is going to happen. Because that would mean the end of the comments sections of hate filled right wing sites like Breitbart and other conspiracy sites.

What triggered this whole thing was a previous ruling that Trump couldn't block people because the account was official government communication. If twitter accounts are official government functions, that throws the ball into a completely different court than if they're just a side thing on a private platform that the government uses. This isn't a discussion about whether or not Twitter can pass laws, it's a discussion about what regulatory structure should be applied to it. Private corporation or public forum. They have different rules, and right now the confusion is leading to rules being applied or not somewhat haphazardly.

Again, I'm personally of the belief that the private corporation rules are the correct ones, and if the government has recently been /using/ it as a public forum then that is because the government is wrong, not because the rule set is.
    I know what triggered it. My point was that you don't want to give an organization that can pass laws any tools to silence political speech, no matter where that speech takes place. There's a difference between twitter exercising its freedom of association and the government silencing speech. Thomas is still on the side of more free speech, but he's unjustly saying that specific groups of people's speech should override other groups' freedom of association. He shouldn't be bringing up trump blocking people at all in relation to regulating social media platforms at all because there are no similar protections in the constitution for trump, as the executive, for exercising his freedom of association (quite the opposite) as there are for twitter exercising their freedom of association (in fact, it says the gov't shouldn't interfere).

I didn't feel like I had to spell all that out, as I thought it was fairly clear. It's a problem I have with not fully explaining my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

The reason it would remove a lot of sites instead of limiting them is that a lot of sites would decide that personally approving every single post isn't worth the time and money it takes to do so and just stop altogether.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one at any point has said anything about removing it. That's not what repealing is, and you know it. The wording in the legislation is antiquated, not to mention that legislation and the rules that tech companies have to abide by, impact people who are not even American citizens.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Have you SEEN some of the garbage that has been posted on Twitter and Facebook? Not only QAnon conspiracy theory BS, I'm talking like communities of pedophiles on Twitter and people openly expressing a desire to have sex with animals. This shit is pretty much out in the open and Twitter in particular does nothing about it despite being clear violations of both US laws as well as international laws and their own website policies. At least on Facebook you can quarantine people with those kinds of views and ban their groups while keeping them away from the majority of users, but Twitter it's not very hard to dig up at all.

No one at any point has said anything about removing it. That's not what repealing is, and you know it. The wording in the legislation is antiquated, not to mention that legislation and the rules that tech companies have to abide by, impact people who are not even American citizens.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Have you SEEN some of the garbage that has been posted on Twitter and Facebook? Not only QAnon conspiracy theory BS, I'm talking like communities of pedophiles on Twitter and people openly expressing a desire to have sex with animals. This shit is pretty much out in the open and Twitter in particular does nothing about it despite being clear violations of both US laws as well as international laws and their own website policies. At least on Facebook you can quarantine people with those kinds of views and ban their groups while keeping them away from the majority of users, but Twitter it's not very hard to dig up at all.
    Trump himself has called for removing it.

And yes, that is what repealing is... by the fucking definition of the word.

The wording isn't antiquated, the legislation is less than 30 years old, when we have laws that are considerably older. And yes, this would be a terrible thing. We know this, because we know what happened BEFORE it was there. Companies were being successfully sued for what people posted on chat forums. Imagine MMO-C being liable for all the racist and illegal shit people have said on here. Imagine them being liable for all the libelous claims made by people. That is what you are calling for. Without Section 230, the internet as we know it is dead. All that content that exists... would have to be checked BEFORE being allowed to be posted. And let's not forget, we're talking about billions and billions of posts a day, and millions of hours of video... every single day.

Oh, and it's a direct attack on freedom of speech.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the issue was that Trump's own people declared his Twitter posts to be official communications. That meant blocking people from them was an act of government. Twitter really had no part to play in it.

The confusion rests solely on the part of the people who want to end Section 230.

- - - Updated - - -

On the OP, the thread title is kinda awful to be honest for the reasons that I've mentioned before. The problem is NOT that Clarence Thomas thinks free speech should be regulated, because it already IS. The problem is that he was floating the idea of specifically regulating a piece of it for partisan political reasons, rather than a good faith argument over how such a restriction is required for protecting all citizens and allowing society to function properly.

Lets be honest though, whatever you think about his specific GOALS in bringing up such regulation, the broader topic of where things like social media fits into society is one that desperately needs more clarity. The idea that Trump couldn't block people because it's official government communication but Twitter could block Trump because private company is a direct contradiction. I'm personally of the opinion that the government has been in the wrong on that topic, Twitter has not (to my knowledge) asked to be the official method of communication for any government function, and the government shouldn't be using it as such. But having a single thing being official or unofficial depending on the whims of which is most useful that day is BS and only causes confusion and problems.
    No, no it's not. The lawsuit with Trump wasn't between him and twitter, it was with Trump and users.

- - - Updated - - -

As Machismo said, Trump and all of his Republican followers and gullible supporters keep calling for it's removal. Even after I educate them on why removing it will make moderation worse, not better.

not to mention every single video on the internet regardless of what it is. All those influencers, twich streamers, youtube, even tv/movie streaming....etc etc....anything they said or posted would in effect become the web sites owners liability.

re-transmission of foxnews attacking the election could in theory create liable for any company that streamed foxnews.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well that is a load of horse shit given the amount of video's that are removed daily on all those platforms.

Also there is a fine line between talking about something and actually threatening to do it or bragging that you did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The reason it would remove a lot of sites instead of limiting them is that a lot of sites would decide that personally approving every single post isn't worth the time and money it takes to do so and just stop altogether.
    and republicans cry about all the jobs that would be lost in oil and coal because of the things democrats want to do.

could you imagine the blood bath without these protection in 230....

- - - Updated - - -

no way. You would be required to provide multiple items of validations on whom you were and sign liability contracts in order to post comments or content.

Not to mention you would have to agree to pay the cost of any litigation in defending your post/content in a court of law.

Of course then we could have a booming employment market in lawyers and the associated industries.

then again state/federal courts would be so jammed with cases you'd never have time for anything else.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    That seems a weak argument but I don't see much point in contesting it if anything it just highlights how moronic the concept of protected classes are. Have one set of laws for all people.
    Protected classes are based on what are thought to be "immutable" and "inherent" characteristics of a person - IE, they're part of who a person is, and can't easily be changed.

Religion falling under that stems from a much more religious time in our country, in which religion was considered an inherent part of who you were. Now it's seen as more of a choice. But even in today's times, religion changes much less, and is more fundamental to more people's lives, than political ideology.

The other protected classes (race, sex, age, disability, etc) are much more rock solid in that immutable/inherent test. And that's why sexual orientation is being fought over for being a protected class, because science has shown it time and time again to not be a choice, while dumbass conservatives wish to continue to argue it's a choice, and a perverse one at that.

It's not really a contradiction because like you wrote "Twitter has not asked to be the official method of communication for any government function"

The actions of twitter are done as a private company against a user (be it government of one specific user) who brok the TOS. That Twitter gave Trump allot of room to break there TOS is a business decision and eventually banned him from the platform is a businesses decision as well.

The supreme court case is just that, a legal case that has legal ramifications. Twitter is in no way part of this lawsuit, that the platform was/is twitter is of no consequence for the lawsuit. The idea of this lawsuit is that the US government can not block a US citizen, this would also logically mean that if a US citizen tried to call the US government (not specific the POTUS) that person should be able to and not have to worry about being send direct to voicemail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    We're saying defamation laws are a restriction on freedom of speech. Correctly. You're denying reality and claiming it's not.
    Doesn't limit free thinking, you can say whatever you wish without being rude, that is the point you haven't understood so far. Has i citated, my constitution doesn't allow free thinking censorship.

Also, this --> https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table
    If there is such a limitation, i wonder why my country classyfies so hight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Doesn't limit free thinking, you can say whatever you wish without being rude, that is the point you haven't understood so far. Has i citated, my constitution doesn't allow free thinking censorship.

Also, this --> https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table
    If there is such a limitation, i wonder why my country classyfies so hight.
    Then... you cannot say whatever you want. You literally pointed to the limitation.

That's press freedom, not freedom of speech. They are not the exact same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's press freedom, not freedom of speech.
    Its only the best indicator for freedom of speech...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    No but my home isn't a business nor a non physical media platform. I don't think your grasping that media sites are not physical dwellings given this absurd example.
    They could just label themselves as private properties that allow "friends & family". Twitter isn't a store any more than a public square is.