Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is anyone even using Momentum?

Because I never see anyone running it!
    I remember leveling a DH back in Legion and having an absolute blast playing with this talent. It just added that little bit of finesse that the rotation so direly needs.

Some things have changed since then so I'm wondering. Is it still a fun option and a viable alternative or strictly worse than the other options?

10+ Year Old Account
    The first and only real question you should be asking about talents, realisticly, is this:

Are you having fun with it?

If yes, then go for it.

There are some qualifiers to certain talents being situational based, such as a boss being single target focus, or add focus, but those are what we call variables.

Basicly, play to have fun, and not for the whole "100% meta or kick and suggested to uninstall the game" type mentality that is just fun-sucking. Dementors of Fun.

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    The first and only real question you should be asking about talents, realisticly, is this:

Are you having fun with it?

If yes, then go for it.

There are some qualifiers to certain talents being situational based, such as a boss being single target focus, or add focus, but those are what we call variables.

Basicly, play to have fun, and not for the whole "100% meta or kick and suggested to uninstall the game" type mentality that is just fun-sucking. Dementors of Fun.
    While I totally agree, I also understand that drive to optimize. For some people knowingly taking the worse option dampens their enjoyment. That's still playing for fun but with other criteria.

Dunno how it is now, but back in legion lots of people used it because someone said its optimal...... if you do it perfectly, but thats unlikely. I was the first one in my mythic raiding guild to switch away from it. Why? Its liability. You cannot be moving in many pve situations. Even if you can move, you are wasting your movement ability to do dps so suddenly the spec, that should be fast, isn't.

This has not changed. Changing of numbers does not help. Its a mechanical problem.

At least this for pve. Dunno about pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Dunno how it is now, but back in legion lots of people used it because someone said its optimal...... if you do it perfectly, but thats unlikely. I was the first one in my mythic raiding guild to switch away from it. Why? Its liability. You cannot be moving in many pve situations. Even if you can move, you are wasting your movement ability to do dps so suddenly the spec, that should be fast, isn't.

This has not changed. Changing of numbers does not help. Its a mechanical problem.

At least this for pve. Dunno about pvp.
    I mean how does it make you more of liability than others when a lot of other classes don't have much movement anyway? Much less you can keep a charge banked if you really wanted to. Is using it only on retreat into dash a dps loss?

All the guides indicate that Momentum is still very much viable, but it's tough to use well and the alternative choice, Demonic, is very competitive and simpler to use. This makes Momentum high risk with low reward, which generally leads to low pick rates, as the risk of messing it up isn't worth the added complexity. If you like it, then it is a very solid pick as long as you manage it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

It's viable, but it's harder to play for very little reward

i use it on every key because it makes me focus more on cds so i think less about how shit havoc is and how i should just put some ilvl on that damn rogue.
    i've never used it until this expansion and it's pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by unlockedz View Post
    i use it on every key because it makes me focus more on cds so i think less about how shit havoc is and how i should just put some ilvl on that damn rogue.
    i've never used it until this expansion and it's pretty entertaining.
    Is havoc that bad? My dh is still only like 8-10 range and I feel like I'm doing well. Hell I ran into this "carry" group the queued into my 7 a couple of weeks ago and I demolished their dps and then they wanted to do my 9 I got and the healer was all like "I accept all types of payment" after the others left and I linked the damage meters showing I was still above their dps. Could have been just a bad group thinking they were a carry group(mind you it was never stated it's just from their actions during etc), but I've felt fine about havoc.

in my opinion havoc is decent BUT mage/priest/boomie/fury/unholy/hunter/ww monk/rogue/ele sham are better. depending on the dungeon we get spanked by 20%+ by some classes, equal with some classes on other dungeons and behind 5-10% anyway against other classes. results may vary but average on logs is around there.
    this doesn't even matter unless you go into high m+ where a pride dying in time is necessary. you can comfortably do +20 with pugs maybe even higher but i'm not there yet.
    Last edited by unlockedz; 2021-04-09 at 09:28 PM.

no,it is a stupid talent...blizzard havent imagination...devs are cheapest and 0 studies.....0 brain,you look talents tree....is so sad....for a hero class...no dark magic,no speed atack,1 dps spec for a hero class that must use glaives,dark/fell magic and bows ranged magic damage...devs havent imagination,i think that blizzard kicked all devs,and actually they havent them,because this is inexplicable how a hero class is so poor and sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post
    no,it is a stupid talent...blizzard havent imagination...devs are cheapest and 0 studies.....0 brain,you look talents tree....is so sad....for a hero class...no dark magic,no speed atack,1 dps spec for a hero class that must use glaives,dark/fell magic and bows ranged magic damage...devs havent imagination,i think that blizzard kicked all devs,and actually they havent them,because this is inexplicable how a hero class is so poor and sad...
    That's nice Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    That's nice Billy.
    I'm really sorry, I apologize if someone has been bothered by my comment but, I can't find another possible explanation. What does blizzard do with the money? Why do we have a demon hunter with only 1 dps spec?, is that the demonhunters They can't use daggers or 2-hand swords, 1-handed bows / crossbows? I don't know if the problem is with the developers or their lack of imagination, really ... but this is very very serious ... a game of this size should have much more creative richness in the design of the classes ... this is fundamental, it is the difference between playing it or canceling the subscription for boredom...

I don't know about you, for me the most important thing is to have fun with the class that I play, and, secondarily, the content. This expansion there is not a single class that has not disappointed me .... the one that most the sorcerer and the dh, dk tb , dk despite being a hero class and having a theme that he likes a lot (undead, zombies, diseases, frost, blood), it is not attractive enough ...

the truth is that there would be quite a few things to talk about, too many ...
    Last edited by Capultro; 2021-04-20 at 05:27 PM.

I'm really sorry, I apologize if someone has been bothered by my comment but, I can't find another possible explanation. What does blizzard do with the money?
    Pay dividents to investors and Kotick's salary.
    Why do we have a demon hunter with only 1 dps spec?
    Because DH were invented as the easiest class so that Legion newcomers could play something flashy and do decent in most content. Also they were made with borrowed power systems in mind. They already had to borrow many abilities from demo warlocks, another spec was not an option. And now we have 36 specs, giving us classes times 3 again, since druids have 4 specs. It's simply nice.

is that the demonhunters They can't use daggers or 2-hand swords, 1-handed bows / crossbows?
    They are an agility class. So no heavy weaponry. Warglaives are dual-daggers. And there's no such thing as a 1 handed bow or (1 handed crossbow) Every bow or crossbow requires 2 hands to load. Yes, the Demonhunter in D3 makes no sense.

I don't know if the problem is with the developers or their lack of imagination, really ... but this is very very serious ... a game of this size should have much more creative richness in the design of the classes ... this is fundamental, it is the difference between playing it or canceling the subscription for boredom...
    You have 12 classes to play, you want to tell me that you played all of them, experienced the creative richness and content and still feel bored? No. When you chose DH, you knew you only would get 2 specs another spec would not change anything for you.

I'm really sorry, I apologize if someone has been bothered by my comment but, I can't find another possible explanation. What does blizzard do with the money?
    While its not public information, I'm willing to wager that its not rocket science to figure out what they spend money on. Funny thing, running a global software company requires more than "devs."

Why do we have a demon hunter with only 1 dps spec?
    Would having another solve or create more issues?

, is that the demonhunters They can't use daggers or 2-hand swords, 1-handed bows / crossbows?
    This is just silly and not worth going any further into.

I don't know if the problem is with the developers or their lack of imagination, really
    Good grief, the arrogance.

... but this is very very serious ...
    No, cholera is very very serious, this is just a bit frustrating.

a game of this size should have much more creative richness in the design of the classes
    As demonstrated by? Demon Hunters using 2 handed swords? If that's the creative "richness" - hard pass.

.. this is fundamental, it is the difference between playing it or canceling the subscription for boredom...
    What isn't available in the game, that is otherwise ubiquitous, that would provide the "creative richness" that's missing?
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

You have 12 classes to play, you want to tell me that you played all of them, experienced the creative richness and content and still feel bored? No. When you chose DH, you knew you only would get 2 specs another spec would not change anything for you.
    y have all classes,and and I get bored with all of them, and it gives me tremendous anger, I make special mention of warlock, demonhunter and mage, I think they are the ones that have disappointed me the most. In fact, with 200 itemslvl, I have not been able to play with magician, it seemed like no It worked .... none of the 3 specs ... uncomfortable, boring mechanics, and sometimes too many buttons..warlock if I remember correctly there are 18 buttons minimum to use, compared to the rogue q with 1 or 2 buttons can already kill / symbols of death + attack of the shadows SPAM) seems easy right? my opinion is that a rework is needed for most of the classes.

I qualify, I don't have a druid or shaman, because I don't like these classes.

I used to play with rogue, warrior and hunter, and later with wizard, sorcerer,unholy and demonhunter, but now I don't know which one to play with, I don't like at all how they are right now ... and that's why I don't play right now, I don't have any idea of what class to start with seriously, not to waste my time and money at all to get to 200 and not be able to do anything ... it doesn't make sense right? and the meta specs, that's already from another world .... I think this is the worst expansion we have ever had, along with the group search engine and the anti player raider.io .... in bc or woth it was all much better. and in fact, I think I would play classic If I used the updated models ... the day they fix it, I will surely play it, because retail is getting worse and worse ...

about dh:If more dps specs are not added, it will be a failure, it needs more dark magic, more types of weapon, bow included, it is that if it does not give the impression that it is a poor class, for example compared to the mage or the rogue that they have 3 dps specs ... the difference is too big .a demon hunter is supposed to be a more veteran fighter than them when it comes to combat ...
    Last edited by Capultro; 2021-04-20 at 05:58 PM.

I play momentum from time to time. Working on my 20 keys pugs. It's doable, puggable, and the dps doesn't really change regardless what talents you choose. There was a youtuber Jedith that posted a run where he chose all the "wrong" talents and did just fine. Know your spec and when to do your damage goes much further then just copy pasting a talent.

about dh:If more dps specs are not added, it will be a failure.
    You're suggesting that the Demon Hunter hero class (Arguably one of the most famous in all Blizzard Franchise) will lose long term appeal based on the idea that they have 1 less DPS spec.

Celebrate 4/20 I guess.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

I play Momentum, but I get away with it because I don't do high-end PvE. I have to switch to Demonic for PvP for obvious reasons, but in world / low-end PvE content, Momentum is too fun to not play.

about dh:If more dps specs are not added, it will be a failure
    That's one spicy take right there. And it's completely wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivank0v View Post
    While its not public information, I'm willing to wager that its not rocket science to figure out what they spend money on. Funny thing, running a global software company requires more than "devs."
    Implying that they spend all of the money they make instead of hoarding the vast majority of it, and implying that the devs see any of that excess money when it's well known that Acti-Blizz exploits the everliving fuck out of them. News flash: WoW doesn't take $15 million a month (the bare minimum they'd be making with 1 million subs) to maintain unless they feel the need to continue to spend millions on marketing.

Which they don't.

Because it's fucking World of Warcraft
    Last edited by TyrannicalPuppy; 2021-04-22 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    Implying that they spend all of the money they make instead of hoarding the vast majority of it,
    Yeah, that's not how corporate finance works.

and implying that the devs see any of that excess money when it's well known that Acti-Blizz exploits the everliving fuck out of them.
    If you're an engineer/developer and getting "exploited" in 2021- that's your fault. That said, most FTE are eligible for profit sharing and stock options. (Stock did really well, btw.)

News flash: WoW doesn't take $15 million a month (the bare minimum they'd be making with 1 million subs)
    That's called revenue, and fails to account for many other costs associated with running WoW. What evidence is there to support this exact figure? (Less than 1M active subs).

And the bare min would be less than 15M, because of the incorrect assumption: every active sub is paid for with $15 USD.