Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivank0v View Post
    Yeah, that's not how corporate finance works.
    Oh, by all means, please enlighten me.

If you're an engineer/developer and getting "exploited" in 2021- that's your fault. That said, most FTE are eligible for profit sharing and stock options. (Stock did really well, btw.)
    Ahahaha, my turn to say, "yeah, no". You don't know shit.

That's called revenue, and fails to account for many other costs associated with running WoW. What evidence is there to support this exact figure? (Less than 1M active subs).
    Yes, thank you smartass, I know what revenue is. And yes, I did actually account for the costs of running WoW. That was my point in saying it does not cost $15 million a month to maintain. In fact, allow me to give you the estimate that my research has turned up, since Blizzard has never officially (and never will) released maintenance costs: $120,000-$150,000 per day, or less than $5 million a month. That means they would still be making a profit on as low as 666k subs ($10 million / month). ALL OF THIS is without factoring in the cash shop, mind you.

And the bare min would be less than 15M, because of the incorrect assumption: every active sub is paid for with $15 USD.
    Please, prove to me that the game has less than 1 million active subs. You can't, that's a number you pulled out of your ass for the sole purpose of being a contrarian. It is undoubtable that WoW still has a minimum of 1 million subs across all 4 continents and both versions of the game.

The assumption that every sub is paid for with $15 is for the sake of mathematical simplicity. The MAXIMUM variance in that is $5 in either direction; some countries pay the equivalent of $13-$14 USD per month, others pay the equivalent of $17-18, obviously the 6-month sub gives a $3/month discount, and the Blizzard sees $5 more per WoW token than they do for a direct sub. All of that makes averaging it to the baseline $15 completely reasonable.
    Last edited by TyrannicalPuppy; 2021-04-23 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post

Yes, thank you smartass, I know what revenue is. And yes, I did actually account for the costs of running WoW. That was my point in saying it does not cost $15 million a month to maintain. In fact, allow me to give you the estimate that my research has turned up, since Blizzard has never officially (and never will) released maintenance costs: $120,000-$150,000 per day, or less than $5 million a month. That means they would still be making a profit on as low as 666k subs ($10 million / month). ALL OF THIS is without factoring in the cash shop, mind you.

Please, prove to me that the game has less than 1 million active subs. You can't, that's a number you pulled out of your ass for the sole purpose of being a contrarian. It is undoubtable that WoW still has a minimum of 1 million subs across all 4 continents and both versions of the game.

The assumption that every sub is paid for with $15 is for the sake of mathematical simplicity. The MAXIMUM variance in that is $5 in either direction; some countries pay the equivalent of $13-$14 USD per month, others pay the equivalent of $17-18, obviously the 6-month sub gives a $3/month discount, and the Blizzard sees $5 more per WoW token than they do for a direct sub. All of that makes averaging it to the baseline $15 completely reasonable.
    These are the EXACT reasons I play Momentum. On Mythic Sludgefist.

To un derail this thread once you get the Felblade/Blades/Momentum build down it is definitely superior to use in keys. More on demand burst and you can make long burst windows as well and I don't really notice a change in ST. With the positional requirements of some dungeons (SD and all its frontal/ground effects/swirlies) + Prideful + Quaking or any combination you may want to reconsider based on the level of the key and your confidence/comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    The first and only real question you should be asking about talents, realisticly, is this:

Are you having fun with it?

If yes, then go for it.

There are some qualifiers to certain talents being situational based, such as a boss being single target focus, or add focus, but those are what we call variables.

Basicly, play to have fun, and not for the whole "100% meta or kick and suggested to uninstall the game" type mentality that is just fun-sucking. Dementors of Fun.
    That is really a strange approach. The first question you need to ask is: Is this talent even worth picking?
    The answer to this regarding momentum is simply: no, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    That is really a strange approach...
    I'm never going to say, "You are playing the game wrong..." but dude if you aren't having fun then the 'game' is kinda pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Momentum the talent (along with Demon Baldes) that sucks all the fun out of the class. It makes it so that you need to be bouncing around to do the most damage, great to make you dizzy, fuck up in a number of ways and aggro entire dungeons. High risk, very low reward, very low value if compared to Demonic. Bad design overall.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post

Really? Thats your argument? You make a claim, someone with even the most basic understanding of Google refutes it, then rather than attempting to make a valid point and support your claim, you start throwing insults like a child throwing a temper tantrum?

I really hate momentum, especially in pvp, the only way to play momentum in pvp is with rushing chaos https://www.wowhead.com/spell=205602...haos#changelog
    Last edited by Nzembwamugumbwalchu; 2021-06-09 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Dunno how it is now, but back in legion lots of people used it because someone said its optimal...... if you do it perfectly, but thats unlikely. I was the first one in my mythic raiding guild to switch away from it. Why? Its liability. You cannot be moving in many pve situations. Even if you can move, you are wasting your movement ability to do dps so suddenly the spec, that should be fast, isn't.

This has not changed. Changing of numbers does not help. Its a mechanical problem.

At least this for pve. Dunno about pvp.
    People used it in legion because overall in the expansion it was optimal and there was a much bigger dps difference in Momentums favor than there is in shadowlands. That meant that better players saw bigger gains for their efforts, and even players who didn't do it 100% perfect could still see a noticeable gain/not lose out because the fact that it was a larger DPS contribution meant a few mess ups didn't immediately drive it below demonic.

I've always preferred Demonic because fuck yeah more meta, but I don't recall it being overly hard to weave into the rotation and it was a decent mix of fun/frustrating. And when it was a problem you just spec out of it for that fight. The numbers are exactly why people stopped using Momentum. Using totally arbitrary numbers if momentum is an 8 out of 10 to use difficulty wise and demonic is a 2 out of 10 and is 10% more DPS than demonic people are much more likely to use it than if it's a .5% increase. In legion it was a much bigger increase/demonic was relatively weaker than it is in SL. The mechanics haven't changed from Legion to SL, but the number have so your claim is pretty solidly wrong I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    Momentum the talent (along with Demon Baldes) that sucks all the fun out of the class. It makes it so that you need to be bouncing around to do the most damage, great to make you dizzy, fuck up in a number of ways and aggro entire dungeons. High risk, very low reward, very low value if compared to Demonic. Bad design overall.
    I don't think it's a bad talent, even if it isn't personally my favorite and it fits pretty solidly with the mobile theme of DH. Never once made me dizzy and I can honestly say if you were aggroing extra with it that often that's a you issue not a talent issue. And it really wasn't super hard in raids to bounce a round staying in the hit boxes for mobs to use it in my experience. Demon Blades is a vastly more boring/bad talent in a class that's already short on things to push depending on the spec.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-06-09 at 09:32 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    Yeah, except everything you just stated as fact is either false, subjective, or is player irresponsibility.

I'm using momentum and I'm even using essence break too alongside my vengeful retreat (same CD). It's fun, I'm timing 20's and I'm finding there is really very little dps difference between any of the specs and leggos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitee View Post
    It's viable, but it's harder to play for very little reward
    This, plus when your RL says "DH Go do the thing" and you say "cant my FR and VR are on cd because they are part of my dps rotation" your raid is gonna think you a bit of a daft cunt.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Yes. Mainly because I find it more fun. It's exhilarating when done properly and I find the resource generation to be smoother. However, it is definitely problematic in a LOT of encounters so...

So I opened this thread, saw some ranting about business, classes and some other rubbish.

Then I noticed some "well informed" individuals suggesting momentum is viable and can outperform other talent choices. So to see if there is a morsel of truth in this, I opened up warcraftlogs and did a bit of research on the best parses in this current tier both raid / m+. Alas not a single momentum build is present in top mythic raids rankings and in M+ there is a handful, for very specific high key funnel situations. (Something 99.99% of us don't even see outside of twitch streams)

What some of you "think/feel" is not grounded in reality at all, giving wrong advice is as bad as purposefully misleading someone. Please stop. A word exists for this, its called quackery.

/exit
    Last edited by Guanciale; 2022-04-20 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ima be blunt, I loved it back in legion when we had bloodlet. It was a fun spec for the first raid, en, as you could still be able to go to certain areas without being struck or fucking up positioning. Then nh came out and positioning became key.

They basically killed it with the nerfs to bloodlet, momo, and its Lego, on top of positioning becoming very important. I have not seen a proper raid since where the dh isnt needed to soak or kill a mob because they need to get to it. Hell how about getting out of dodge or staying away from friends?

Blizz killed this talent themselves for pve, outside of outdoor content (like dailies or leveling) but even then, demonic is better cause u have a self heal there.

It really is basically a dead talent because if it was properly viable, they have to plan encounters around it, or the risk reward is too high and people that hate the playstyle will not be happy over it.

For this talent, it was fun when it had high risk and high reward involved. I absolutely loved it. But now, I havent played it since the end of legion. (Though I gave it a few tries here and there). I think it should either be cut or another spec to be created around it. Bring back bloodlet (or something similar) but hey thats my 15 cents

Tldr, noone plays it cause it complicated with zero reward and more liability. It was fun when it first came out, imho

Quote Originally Posted by Lodravel View Post
    While I totally agree, I also understand that drive to optimize. For some people knowingly taking the worse option dampens their enjoyment. That's still playing for fun but with other criteria.
    There is most likely a 5 - 10% difference (i dont really know, because i play as i like), between those playstyles... If you can play it optimaly.

If you arent a pro gamer, you will do more damage with a specc you "love" instead of a specc with is mathematically better.

Back in wotlk/Cata i always played the "worse" specc and still was doing better DPS and failed less than most tryhards.

Honestly, pick what you prefer and then work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdkartoffl View Post
    If you arent a pro gamer, you will do more damage with a specc you "love" instead of a specc with is mathematically better.
    And more specifically, something you are used to. I would much rather save my movement abilities for...movement...so I tend to avoid Momentum builds.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

blizzard only give the illusion of choice. and now even worst with riderIO incoporated into the game.
    lot of my friends moved to gw2, same fun less trying to convince ppl to inv you to play

Quote Originally Posted by pelos View Post
    blizzard only give the illusion of choice. and now even worst with riderIO incoporated into the game.
    lot of my friends moved to gw2, same fun less trying to convince ppl to inv you to play
    dude you blasted like 4 or 5 replies back to back in the DH forums, and I can't help but read all of your post in an Asian accent because that's how its written.

Quote Originally Posted by pelos View Post
    lol GW2 has the worst class imbalance in all the MMO industry. There's delta between specs as high as 30-40%, with some classes not even having viable DPS or support specs.