Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Keyboard Turner Cwn Annwn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    6
    meh its written by Ta-Nehisi, that dude has enough of his own terrible hot takes to fill a thread, if he's going after Peterson then its a. a bit of pot kettle black considering some of the wacky stuff he's said him self, and b. is going to get totally bodied when he finds out how big and loyal Petersons following is, bit like attacking one of them wacko t.v. church guys in America, feel free, but don't expect to make a dent, especially if your own moral character is as flimsy as Ta-Nehisi, you cant write a book in which you say you were happy about those who died in 9/11 and then expect to hold the moral high ground in shit flinging matches like this.

    "when evil fights evil the devil isn't mocked" at the end of the day.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't believe this is accidental, as he's usually so very careful in his phrasing that he can't get caught out blurting something he doesn't really mean.
    That seems to be his stick, doesn't it? I've noticed that he likes to phrase right at the edge of what's acceptable and then falls back on "that's not what I said" a lot of the times. That's like his goto debate style.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  3. #203
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I wonder sometimes, guys like jordan peterson, how much publicity would they have in a non-woke world if fame was determined by merit?

    I think the guy gets famous n stays so by over-sensitive peeps...the sad part is that people think attacking him is the battle they should be fighting, or that they would 'win' anything by it..University isn't about trying to make people not disturb your echo chamber, but about exchanging ideas. You guys are really helping him sell more books is all...there's probably thousands other professors that are more qualified n should sell more books, but no, we need to take twitter into the real world..
    It's even more embarrassing when you consider that nothing he says is anything overly radical. That people get offended over milquetoast ideas like cleaning your room or retaining traditional family values insofar as the way we've lived for centuries. There's nothing crazy about what he says, but some of his biggest detractors are very much on a level of crazy that in any other decade prior to 2000 would have had them sent to a psyche ward.

    I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, the current generation of progressive comic writers are creatively bankrupt hacks and nothing more than activists. They wonder why their stuff doesn't sell on the same level as traditional comic book series writers like Sean Murphy, it's because he shuts up and creates comics that people want to read without interjecting his own personal bias and opinions in the story. Progressive activism is killing off entertainment at a staggering rate. The terrible reception from long time fans of once beloved franchises is being met with scorn and ridicule and the corpos just keep hiring these same hack writers while they look any financial profitability in the rear view window.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-04-08 at 11:15 AM.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's even more embarrassing when you consider that nothing he says is anything overly radical. That people get offended over milquetoast ideas like cleaning your room or retaining traditional family values insofar as the way we've lived for centuries. There's nothing crazy about what he says, but some of his biggest detractors are very much on a level of crazy that in any other decade prior to 2000 would have had them sent to a psyche ward.

    I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, the current generation of progressive comic writers are creatively bankrupt hacks and nothing more than activists. They wonder why their stuff doesn't sell on the same level as traditional comic book series writers like Sean Murphy, it's because he shuts up and creates comics that people want to read without interjecting his own personal bias and opinions in the story.
    Forced monogamy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  5. #205
    Keyboard Turner Cwn Annwn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Forced monogamy...
    its actually a long standing thing, that artist's only actually have the freedom to be political if there also actually good at there medium, its why Banksy can make art like this: "usaartnews.com/wp-content/uploads/banksy-wallpaper-768x6522x".jpg"
    and is cheered, but when one of the copy paste actor socialite's in Hollywood makes the same statement they get roundly panned.

    a good artist illustrates a message.

    a bad artist makes a message with illustration.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwn Annwn View Post
    its actually a long standing thing, that artist's only actually have the freedom to be political if there also actually good at there medium, its why Banksy can make art like this: "usaartnews.com/wp-content/uploads/banksy-wallpaper-768x6522x".jpg"
    and is cheered, but when one of the copy paste actor socialite's in Hollywood makes the same statement they get roundly panned.

    a good artist illustrates a message.

    a bad artist makes a message with illustration.
    Yes, women love the idea of being property in order to assuage the violent impulses of dudes who cannot get laid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwn Annwn View Post
    meh its written by Ta-Nehisi, that dude has enough of his own terrible hot takes to fill a thread
    I wonder which piece of disinformati-

    Quote Originally Posted by Cwn Annwn View Post
    you cant write a book in which you say you were happy about those who died in 9/11 and then expect to hold the moral high ground in shit flinging matches like this.
    Ah...that one.

    During a Q and A period following his remarks, a cadet asked about a passage in Coates’ book “Between the World and Me.” The cadet asked Coates to clarify the quote: “I could see no difference between the officer who killed Prince Jones and the police who died or the firefighters who died, they were not human to me, black, white, whatever, they were menaces of nature.”

    Coates explained that Prince Jones was a friend he met at Howard University who, in 2000, was followed and was shot and killed by a police officer. Coates explained how angry it made him that following the death of his friend, the state of Virginia investigated Prince but did not charge or investigate the officer, even though his police department had numerous cases against it.

    “You have to understand what that does to you, how that makes you feel about your country and your relationship to your country, because the police are the representatives of your country,” he said. “We need police to have a law abiding society, but when there’s absolutely no accountability… I had no sympathy for anybody at that point because I felt so strongly that the country had no sympathy for my friend Prince Jones who is dead in the ground.”

    He continued.

    “Time passes and you grow, you get a little wiser, you understand your anger is not good for anybody,” he said. “So I don’t feel that same way today, I definitely don’t, but Between the World and Me is a work of literature and its job is to, more than anything, to capture the feeling, and I felt that way at that time, I was cold, I was absolutely cold, and I think any other human being exchanging places in that situation might have felt the same way.”

    The audience applauded his response.
    http://www.pointerview.com/2017/04/2...gerle-lecture/

    Next time, do yourself a favor and look for the truth before blindly believing whichever propagandist informed your opinion of the man. Convenient that the bolded part is all those pieces of shit ever bother to repeat. As if there's nothing else to that story.

  8. #208
    Keyboard Turner Cwn Annwn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I wonder which piece of disinformati-



    Ah...that one.


    Next time, do yourself a favor and look for the truth before blindly believing whichever propagandist informed your opinion of the man. Convenient that the bolded part is all those pieces of shit ever bother to repeat. As if there's nothing else to that story.
    if you don't know what's wrong with saying "they were not human to me, black, white, whatever, they were menaces of nature" and don't see how close that parallels with Nazism then I would hope your being wilfully ignorant because of the specific target and wishing to defend the commenter, and not actually ignorant of what dehumanisation is and where it leads, dehumanisation is dehumanisation no matter what or how you justify it.

    and its not misinformation, that's his exact quote, so its my opinion of the quote, and from what i see, the majority opinion on that quote by Ta-Nehisi, and to me is no more or less abhorrent than Liam Neeson's admission.

  9. #209
    Keyboard Turner Cwn Annwn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I wonder which piece of disinformati-



    Ah...that one.


    Next time, do yourself a favor and look for the truth before blindly believing whichever propagandist informed your opinion of the man. Convenient that the bolded part is all those pieces of shit ever bother to repeat. As if there's nothing else to that story.
    its not misinformation if its his exact quote, its my opinion on the quote.

    dehumanisation is dehumanisation, no matter how you excuse it, its abhorrent.

  10. #210
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    What exactly are some of the fascist points Peterson argues for?
    Are we talking about actual fascism here or just the expanded use of the word? (eg. cultural conservatism)
    Because if we've to go by the latter and expanded use of the word then 90% of planet Earth constitutes fascism, from Chinese to Middle-Eastern to South-American culture.
    Editing my post because I just noticed something: Why would you cut out the part of my post that gives an example of his flirtation with fascism and then ask me what the fascist points are? Bizzare.

    His ravings about cultural marxism and his constant demonization of "radical, leftist, feminist neo-Marxists" as a boogeyman that is after the souls of Western young men is textbook fascist propaganda. The mildly fascist things he says are right on the brink of fascist thought, but he leaves himself enough wiggle room to simply flirt with their ideas and pull back when pushed on them. Forced monogamy was already mentioned but what about the time he argued that women joining the workforce instead of staying home and raising a family is responsible for unemployed and socially frustrated men? Oh, that's right, he never actually comes out and plainly says these things. He implies them and then claims he's not actually arguing that these things are the case when pushed back on the logical conclusion of his statements. The guy who insists that people be clear in their speech never means what he says.

    Or how about the time he tried to argue that Hitler was really just a product of the German mob and it was them who led him down the path of genocide and war? It might not be explicitly fascist to say these things but it's certainly making nonsense of historical fact and revising history to suit his own needs while also being an apologist for literal fascism.

    Don't worry though, he's just investigating his "shadow."
    Last edited by downnola; 2021-04-08 at 02:15 PM.
    There is a limit to the success of conservative populism and the exploitation of "little guy" or "silent majority" rhetoric, and it is very often reached because of the emaciated, corrupted personalities of the demagogues themselves.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #211
    At least the Peterson followers make it easy to spot them, so they can be just as easily ignored.

  12. #212
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, the current generation of progressive comic writers are creatively bankrupt hacks and nothing more than activists. They wonder why their stuff doesn't sell on the same level as traditional comic book series writers like Sean Murphy, it's because he shuts up and creates comics that people want to read without interjecting his own personal bias and opinions in the story. Progressive activism is killing off entertainment at a staggering rate. The terrible reception from long time fans of once beloved franchises is being met with scorn and ridicule and the corpos just keep hiring these same hack writers while they look any financial profitability in the rear view window.
    Ya this isn’t based on reality like at all. Marval regularly out sells DC and Sean Murphy who seems to have been working on the white Knight books doesn’t sell that hot in comparison with the first white Knight book at 38 last year behind mostly Marval books.

    For reference any random issue of Xmen sells for 70-90k issues and the top white Knight book was 50. Though I’d be lying if I said I knew every book he’s worked on so some could be higher but 7 or so of the top 10 comics are Marval including the number 1 spot so it’s safe to say they wouldn’t want his sale numbers.

    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2020.html
    Last edited by Daemos daemonium; 2021-04-08 at 02:31 PM.

  13. #213
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,985
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    At least the Peterson followers make it easy to spot them, so they can be just as easily ignored.
    I mean if a Peterson follower has a bad idea or position then you should explain why their bad. What's the point of ignoring people you disagree with and putting yourself in an echo chamber?
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I mean if a Peterson follower has a bad idea or position then you should explain why their bad. What's the point of ignoring people you disagree with and putting yourself in an echo chamber?
    What's the point of debating with people who refuse to acknowledge truth and facts? It has nothing to do with "wanting an echo chamber"

  15. #215
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    66,902
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I mean if a Peterson follower has a bad idea or position then you should explain why their bad. What's the point of ignoring people you disagree with and putting yourself in an echo chamber?
    Why do you think the burden of proof is on us to show why their ideas are bad? Why shouldn't they be expected to prove that their ideas are good?

    We can see the poison tree they're pulling from. If they want to explain how the ideas they're producing aren't similar poison, that's on them.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I mean if a Peterson follower has a bad idea or position then you should explain why their bad. What's the point of ignoring people you disagree with and putting yourself in an echo chamber?
    I generally don't ignore people that actually have things of substance to say. Jordan Peterson followers don't particularly fall into a substantive category that is worth paying attention to.

  17. #217
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,985
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What's the point of debating with people who refuse to acknowledge truth and facts?
    The large majority of people don't dispute factual truths though, the dispute is almost always about people's interpretations of the facts. People very rarely dispute data and evidence and that only happens when someone posts information from an unreliable source that can't be verified by other sources.
    It has nothing to do with "wanting an echo chamber"
    I'm not saying you want an echo chamber I'm only saying it doesn't make sense to "debate" people who already agree with you.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  18. #218
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why do you think the burden of proof is on us to show why their ideas are bad? Why shouldn't they be expected to prove that their ideas are good?

    We can see the poison tree they're pulling from. If they want to explain how the ideas they're producing aren't similar poison, that's on them.
    The most dangerous thing about Peterson is that he uses “science” (and I use that term very lightly) as a supposed means for deriving some sort of philosophical truth.

    Like his “truth” that “because lobsters have nervous systems and humans have nervous systems, women should be subservient to men.” And the less scientifically literate will believe him because he couches it in a lot of fancy language and smart-sounding words.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What's the point of debating with people who refuse to acknowledge truth and facts? It has nothing to do with "wanting an echo chamber"
    The mistake is in believing there are any objective truths and facts.
    The "truth" always just happens to conveniently be whatever benefits the concurrent elites.
    - The One and Only, the Legendary, the Mighty - You might recognize me from the forum signatures of lesser mortals obsessed with me. -
    Vexing little man-babies and normies on the internet since before you were born.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Jordan Peterson is complaining that the Nazi Supervillain Red Skull sounds like him!
    Jordan Peterson has just discovered that Captain America fights fascism. Which makes fans of fascist aesthetics upset.



    Is it really a parody of Jordan Peterson, if he just stole all of his ideas from the Red Skull in the first place? Or just an accurate representation of the man. Made uncomfortable by simple truths?

    It also made me think of subtext of Jojo Rabbit. That young immature boys, are drawn to the aesthetics of fascist ideologies. Which leads them down self destructive paths.
    Free publicity lol. And from Coates too. What a riot. He should rewrite Coates’ eldrich energies from the talisman of whiteness to be an actual comic book mcguffin.

    I hope Peterson paid him for this.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •