Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    As dumb as it is to state the obvious, you're right here about libertarianism and federalism. Libertarians are skeptical of big, powerful governments imposing their will on everyone.
    No, now both of you are wrong. The difference between an anti federalist and a libertarian, is that one wants state right and the other wants rights. That’s a huge difference... I know it makes you an authoritarian and that’s icky... but, it is what it is...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Kinda a normal evolution. Anarchists find reasons for a tiny state. A tiny state finds reasons for some middle direction/attitudinal approach to our current, massive state.
    8 to work, 8 to rest, 8 for recreation... is Anarchist... FYI...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Literally a huge part of libertarianism is limited government... .
    There does seem a common theme among most self-described libertarians. The devil is in the details. (And for the religious you can take that literally
    States' rights...to do whatever within the limits of their respective borders...
    Anti-regulations...in almost category...
    Anti-taxes...because it's theft...
    Support for robber barons I mean captains of industry to do whatever they want.
    A universal hatred for the name "Roosevelt."
    15yrs ago, Smokey McBongwater coming in from a NORML meet looking for free donuts would have made the list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There does seem a common theme among most self-described libertarians.
    A anti federalist, calling them selfs a libertarian, simply recognizes they support authoritarianism on the state level, thus want to distance them selfs from it. That’s all...
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-07 at 11:19 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Man, the definition of "libertarian" in use by authoritarian conservatives is straight up a qualifier for sociopathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    From his bio... I love watching Libertarians call each other authoritarians. Out of curiosity, who is the biggest name living libertarian you would recommend I check out for reading up on your beliefs.
    From his bio:

"Regulate major social media platforms like utility."

Hence, why I called him out for being a liar and a hypocrite. Saying you are something, and actually fitting the definition of that something... are entirely different.

You're projecting. Just like how you claim to be a libertarian when you're actually an anarchist.
    Nope, anarchists don't support the existence of government, I do. Therefore, by definition, I'm not an anarchist.

I'm not projecting, I'm literally using his own words against him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love watching Libertarians call each other authoritarians.
    Something I heard recently... credit Destiny... It’s interesting how conservatives keep reminding us that Democrats were the ones supporting slavery. But, it’s republicans losing their shit, when statues of these Democrats are being torn down. Isn’t that a bit peculiar? Like, voting democrat was a tradition of the south at the time, not just similar to slavery, but downright upheld and justified it. Very... interesting...

Really? You support oppression just so long as it's done on a small enough scale. Interesting. Are you sure you're a libertarian?
    Where did I say that?

Anarchism simply has no means in which to deal with observational outliers within a society. Libertarianism allows for a mechanism in which to deal with those outliers. That would be... government.

You literally said you support having a government in the post I quoted. Governance is oppression of personal liberties.
    Here you go, buddy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

Really? You support oppression just so long as it's done on a small enough scale. Interesting. Are you sure you're a libertarian?
    Do we really need to have this conversation..again?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's why I simply avoided it, and gladly gave him the definitions.

Hmf... What does it mean to be "anti-federalist" today?
    Back in the day...not so much yesterday but the mid 18th century, I might have found common cause with the anti-federalist. I mean the federal government at the time was run by the wealthy, and us common folk couldn't vote anyway. (White male and had to have property.)

I know the definitions. You're the one calling someone not a true libertarian because they support a particular bit of governance while you yourself claim you support governance. And regulating Social Media typically means treating it as the town square, removing the ability for those entities to oppress the freedom of speech of the average user. Seriously, are you sure you're a Libertarian? Sounds to me like you aren't. Maybe link a Libertarian debate where they outline your beliefs since you appear to be unable to.
    Well, then you should really stop mistaking the two.

Good luck!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to say the same, but am having flashbacks to other threads... like I have PTSD or something...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf... What does it mean to be "anti-federalist" today?
    Back in the day...not so much yesterday but the mid 18th century, I might have found common cause with the anti-federalist. I mean the federal government at the time was run by the wealthy, and us common folk couldn't vote anyway. (White male and had to have property.)
    It’s literally what state right is right now... they just don’t like the term...

Thanks for admitting you can't explain your ideology and refuse to even try.
    I can, and I have. Enjoy!!!

People should be free to do whatever they want, so long as they are not harming others.

Not even close. And when someone correctly describes your ideology you call them a liar. Good luck with that. I'm sure you'll figure it out as soon as we all have jetpacks to get to and from work since nobody but corporations will be allowed to use the roads that they built for their private use.
    People should be free to do whatever they want, so long as they are not harming others.

If you just took the first half, that would make me an anarchist. But, the inclusion of the latter, shows me to not be one. Your inability to comprehend is not my fault, nor is it my problem.

Enjoy!!!

To be fair there's a lot of oppression in the anti-regulation stance.

Yet you advocate for policies that would harm others. Such as privatizing infrastructure. Weird. It’s almost like your beliefs aren’t clear.
    Evidence, please.

Already provided it ages ago.
    Citation, please.