Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #181
    I guess viewership for MDI is in the gutter so time to rebrand....

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    Its no different than you making pointless comments that amount to mindless chatter.
    Okay.. I’m just gonna go to a chess forum for no reason to tell them I don’t like chess.. oh wait, no I’m not.. cause I’m not a jerk.

  3. #183
    Bloodsail Admiral bledgor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,227
    It still amazes me the sheer volume of people that continue to post on this website only to shit on wow and curse about every single thing blizzard does.

    On topic the normal MDI was mildly interesting to watch for me this tier, and I like the concept of pushing a key as high as possible, but remains to be seen if it will be interesting to watch. If nothing else I'll probably watch a few of them to see how they deal with various pulls/bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    Server competitions used to be a thing in vanilla too. I can clearly remember three top guild on the server when I played. The server is a world now and teams competing are the best in the world rather than the server. Ofc. server first are still more relatable because you actually can see them out there, but it was never different.
    Why blizzard should stop making these events? I mean it's literally events for the community.
    The problem is Blizzard has lost most of its goodwill in regards to "things done for the sake of the community" (see pulling 30 day game time cards or covenant locking/abilities in spite of feedback. So it's hard to believe Blizzard is hosting eSports "for the fans," especially when you compare the size of the company and the size of the prize pool to that of Valve or Riot eSports prizes. There's a dissonance between Blizzard marketing these tournaments with all the marketing and fanfare of a big event only to offer what amounts to pocket change for them. $20,000 at a company that large is an accounting error and not how you encourage people to take your tournament seriously.

    Finally WoW is just too complicated of a game to do well as an eSport. Too many abilities across too many classes against monsters that are too varied in too many dungeons for anyone not "in the know" to understand wtf is going on or why any moment is scary/not-scary. Watching WoW if you aren't a player just looks like pure chaos for more reasons than I'll get into.

    So that's why I think people are so antagonistic towards Blizzard eSports, because you know their ability to be successful, compared to the amount of effort they seem to put into it, except for barely investing anything into the players providing "free" competition....it just doesn't make sense.

  5. #185
    Brewmaster czarek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    zug zug
    Posts
    1,469
    I do mythic toures. If you guys dont like it just dont watch it ? ><

  6. #186
    blizzard goes about esports all wrong.

    but yolo.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Not everybody who plays WoW is a hopeless cynic who doesn't care nearly as much about Blizzard trying new shit as they do about receiving meaningless platitudes from internet strangers for sharing the super unique opinion that everything they do is wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That's nice of you to assume something is a failure before it even fucking happens. Absolutely no bias at all, right?
    #QuotedForTruth ^

  8. #188
    Legendary! Frolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norway, Lørenskog
    Posts
    6,466
    That prizepool, Asmongold could crowdfund a bigger prize in a day, Blizzard is so fucking cheap with their prizes, they want esport, but unwilling to put forth proper rewards, what a failure.

  9. #189
    Just get rid off M+. Blizzard obviously added M+ for eSports/streaming and by now it's safe to say that it's nowhere as successful/watched as hoped for. Like, M+ is only successful in that normal players, well... play it, but nobody (relatively speaking duh) cares about the competitive side of it or the people that participate.

    All the pvp tournaments and community-driven raiding world first race streams are way more popular than anything M+ related ever was or ever will be. The gap in popularity and viewership between these is too enormous to consider the MDI the success blizz had hoped for.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2021-04-08 at 11:54 AM.

  10. #190
    i think this proofs no new content till june

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    The problem is Blizzard has lost most of its goodwill in regards to "things done for the sake of the community" (see pulling 30 day game time cards or covenant locking/abilities in spite of feedback. So it's hard to believe Blizzard is hosting eSports "for the fans," especially when you compare the size of the company and the size of the prize pool to that of Valve or Riot eSports prizes. There's a dissonance between Blizzard marketing these tournaments with all the marketing and fanfare of a big event only to offer what amounts to pocket change for them. $20,000 at a company that large is an accounting error and not how you encourage people to take your tournament seriously.

    Finally WoW is just too complicated of a game to do well as an eSport. Too many abilities across too many classes against monsters that are too varied in too many dungeons for anyone not "in the know" to understand wtf is going on or why any moment is scary/not-scary. Watching WoW if you aren't a player just looks like pure chaos for more reasons than I'll get into.

    So that's why I think people are so antagonistic towards Blizzard eSports, because you know their ability to be successful, compared to the amount of effort they seem to put into it, except for barely investing anything into the players providing "free" competition....it just doesn't make sense.
    LoL and DotA get money from skins + passes whatnot and are f2p so they can't really be criticized for doing whatever they want with the money. They use it as promotion even to get new skins hyped up which cost like a triple A game
    I am not saying that Blizz are good - they fucked up hard with MDI Toy by being shady, if they communicated that MDI toys will fund full MDI and Blizz won't give anything, reaction would have been different, but people would still bitch about company not contributing. Imagine blizzard starting to sell MDI Tmog/pets/mounts to fund the prizes, it's not like other games get their money from anywhere else. It would be massive backlash due to fuck up in the past but also due to mtx in a sub game. So whatever they do - they will be hated by boomers who cry "wtf why u use my sub money for this trash" and if they don't or go low people still shit on it, if they went the way other games go - they will be trashed for mtx. There is no winning.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    That prizepool, Asmongold could crowdfund a bigger prize in a day, Blizzard is so fucking cheap with their prizes, they want esport, but unwilling to put forth proper rewards, what a failure.
    Because esports bring money through skins and other sales. Do you think LoL does not make money from esports? are you kidding me?

    In WoW they get trashed for spending money on esports, get trashed for not spending it and would get trashed to hell for adding MTX shop items for MDI, partially for their fuck up in the past, but partially just for MTX in a sub game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    All the pvp tournaments and community-driven raiding world first race streams are way more popular than anything M+ related ever was or ever will be. The gap in popularity and viewership between these is too enormous to consider the MDI the success blizz had hoped for.
    MDI gets more views than AWC tho. It's niche regardless, even WF race has seen massive decline from where it started in Uldir and where it is now. People said it before, you have to be good at wow to understand it while moba champions only have 4 skills + passive and some items and even they suffer from making everything too complex to regular viewer due to current complexity where characters have 12 different interactions with their skills and passives so something like Master Yi is very transparent and some other characters have harder rotation than a damn frost mage combined with DH

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowho View Post
    Literally this guy in a nutshell

    I did chuckle when I saw this.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowho View Post
    Literally this guy in a nutshell

    Lmfao, thank you for this.

    For the record, I'm not nearly as pro-Blizzard as I am anti-negativity circlejerk; though it's admittedly hard to be the latter without seeming like the former. I would prefer if people would simply post constructively instead of looking for internet high fives from one another for automatically looking at any situation from the most pointlessly cynical lens possible.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Absolutely. eSports do nothing good to communities. People don't even watch them FFS, they just look at the stats and strats so they can be spazzy in-game and force it on everybody.
    Lol. People do watch e-sports. It might not be as big of a draw for WoW but to say that no one watches other games e-sports is being delusional. There are dedicated arenas/spaces for them in different countries. As well as bar partnerships and etc. You keep projecting your dislike and view of e-sports onto everyone else in the world and the industry as a whole. It doesn't work that way.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-04-08 at 04:06 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  15. #195
    The Insane Thage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    18,875
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    tf are you talking about regarding the weekly chest? lol its WAY better than it has ever been. plus while gear in m+ is slightly lower you can upgrade any levels gear now so who cares. at this point youre just complaining to complain. and WoWs dungeons have NEVER felt like pushing into enemy territory lol the only one maybe was a vanilla dungeon.....cant think of many more
    You're right, BC, WotLK, Cata, and Legion didn't all have dungeons that, while obviously streamlined for play, also actually felt like world locations. No, they were all like WoD, BFA, and SL dungeons where they were a few hallways with boss chambers obviously designed around clear times instead of building a zone first and populating around the layout. (I'll grant you dungeons like Trial of the Champion and Stonecore as exceptions that fit the modern-day rule, and MoP had a mix of both as the transitionary period between the old dungeon map design philosophy and the new).

    As for the weekly chest and valor upgrades, the chest is horseshit and we both know it's horseshit, and the valor upgrades came because the weekly chest and high-key loot were shit. Even with Valor upgrades, right now the fastest way to gear up at 60 is getting HK-farmed in BGs until you have enough honor for a full kit of epic gear thanks to the laughable drop rates and dupes in Mythic+ and the weekly chest.

    You still haven't addressed the first or second paragraphs. WoW has always struggled to make a meaningful impact with its forays into eSports because WoW is not an eSport game. Even back when Arena first landed, Arena tournaments were a clusterfuck because you have too many abilities spread across too many classes, the gameplay is too methodical and old, and unless you actually know what does what in the game, casual viewers are going to lose track between the differences in Starfall, Blizzard, and Flame Strike unless the commentators keep explaining the mechanic. Compare to LoL or DOTA, where every hero has a small number of abilities iconic to those characters, where the game is designed ground-up to be easy for spectators and commentators to follow, or COD and CS:GO where shooty gun produces bullets which allows the commentators and spectators to focus on team play and how a given gun slots into the team's comp and strategy.

    Just because the commentators replace explaining the second team's actions and abilities/talents with explaining the boss mechanics and affixes for that dungeon doesn't somehow make WoW's forays into PvE eSports any better. It's still a clusterfuck of effects and bloated action bars, which while that makes for a fun MMORPG, makes for a very unengaging spectator sport.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!



  16. #196
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    Can you stop changing the goalpost. I was talking about m+ vs raidboss. Never m+ vs raid.
    M+ vs a single raid encounter is a stupid comparison, they need to be compared as whole entities otherwise it's just cherry picking a scenario that suits you. Also, you responded to me - I haven't changed goalposts once in this entire thread.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    You're speaking to somebody who knows philosophy.
    Holy shit, this gave me such massive fucking pushes-glasses-up-nose-before-speaking-ahem-m'lady cringe shivers.

    "You're speaking to someone who knows philosophy." Fucking lol.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    M+ vs a single raid encounter is a stupid comparison, they need to be compared as whole entities otherwise it's just cherry picking a scenario that suits you. Also, you responded to me - I haven't changed goalposts once in this entire thread.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Holy shit, this gave me such massive fucking pushes-glasses-up-nose-before-speaking-ahem-m'lady cringe shivers.

    "You're speaking to someone who knows philosophy." Fucking lol.
    No it is not. Because raids are designed with breaks/multiple session in mind.

  18. #198
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    No it is not. Because raids are designed with breaks/multiple session in mind.
    Raids are design to not be timer-based, yes that is correct. Glad we agree.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  19. #199
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    You're right, BC, WotLK, Cata, and Legion didn't all have dungeons that, while obviously streamlined for play, also actually felt like world locations. No, they were all like WoD, BFA, and SL dungeons where they were a few hallways with boss chambers obviously designed around clear times instead of building a zone first and populating around the layout. (I'll grant you dungeons like Trial of the Champion and Stonecore as exceptions that fit the modern-day rule, and MoP had a mix of both as the transitionary period between the old dungeon map design philosophy and the new).
    Most of tbc/wrath dungeons were hallways with boss rooms.

    Ramparts,blood furnace, all 4 Auchindoun, the tempest keep ones. All hallways with boss rooms.

    UK,UP,AN,DP,FOS,HOR, all hallways with boss rooms and some like VH don’t even have the hallways.

  20. #200
    I can't wait for all the, "Bring the player, not the class" we will see during this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •