1. #1

    Is frost the recommended for TBC questing?

    Hey.

    Just wondering if frost is more ideal than fire when going into Hellfire peninsula (for whenever TBC launches)

    Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Hey.

    Just wondering if frost is more ideal than fire when going into Hellfire peninsula (for whenever TBC launches)
    Frost AoE spec was best if I’m remembering correctly... been a looong time though.

  3. #3
    Fire is actually okay for questing because you wont be pulling that many mobs at once. Frost is still way more mana efficient unless you have high crit though.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Fire is actually okay for questing because you wont be pulling that many mobs at once. Frost is still way more mana efficient unless you have high crit though.
    I don't intent on doing any thing "AoE" it's mostly if surviability (Barrier & block) is better than the extra dmg from fire.

    Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I don't intent on doing any thing "AoE" it's mostly if surviability (Barrier & block) is better than the extra dmg from fire.
    That's hardly an issue for mage unless you mean PvP too. The point of frost is that you need to drink less often than fire and thus have less downtime.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I don't intent on doing any thing "AoE" it's mostly if surviability (Barrier & block) is better than the extra dmg from fire.
    In TBC all mage specs get Ice Block so being Frost is not a requirement for that spell anymore. You'll just have to rely on Mana Shield instead of Ice Barrier if you decide not to go Frost. Just figured I'd let you know that since you mentioned Ice Block as one of the reasons to be Frost.

  7. #7
    With ice barrier, spells slowing enemies down, additional nova from the elemental - yes, frost has much better survivability.
    Also, I think frost dmg vs normal mobs is on par with fire, thanks to nova from the pet and shatter combos. And this is something that frost loses in raids, since bosses cannot be frozen
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  8. #8
    Old God Swizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    10,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    In TBC all mage specs get Ice Block so being Frost is not a requirement for that spell anymore. You'll just have to rely on Mana Shield instead of Ice Barrier if you decide not to go Frost. Just figured I'd let you know that since you mentioned Ice Block as one of the reasons to be Frost.
    He's probably talking about double block from Cold Snap.
    BfA Beta Time

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    He's probably talking about double block from Cold Snap.
    Ah that's true! You do need to be Frost to do that.

  10. #10
    One of my memories from TBC is meeting a random gnome mage in STV. He was absolutely wrecking mobs with his fire spells and having a blast, no pun intended. Frost has always felt quite dull to me, except when you get those sweet shatter crits. Frostbolt is just a dull spell really, at least with fireball you're actually burning the shit out of your enemies.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    One of my memories from TBC is meeting a random gnome mage in STV. He was absolutely wrecking mobs with his fire spells and having a blast, no pun intended. Frost has always felt quite dull to me, except when you get those sweet shatter crits. Frostbolt is just a dull spell really, at least with fireball you're actually burning the shit out of your enemies.
    That's true. Shatter combos were the effective way to play frost (maybe they still are, I haven't maged it up for many years). Not having to drink between every pull was one of the best benefits of frost. Even if it's damage is lower than fire, and it feels slower to play, it's got much better uptime. If drinking between pulls isn't a concern, then fire would be the way to go.

  12. #12
    Frost was good for leveling, though you'd see a lot of AP-PoM pyro mages too, though that may have been a carry-over from vanilla rather than actually being good. I leveled as PoM pyro, switched to arcane in T5/T6 and then to fire in late T6/Sunwell.
    Played frost in PvP.

    Modern min/max and theorycrafting may suggest otherwise.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by endorus View Post
    Frost was good for leveling, though you'd see a lot of AP-PoM pyro mages too, though that may have been a carry-over from vanilla rather than actually being good. I leveled as PoM pyro, switched to arcane in T5/T6 and then to fire in late T6/Sunwell.
    Played frost in PvP.

    Modern min/max and theorycrafting may suggest otherwise.
    If you have high crit it actually makes sense to go for the +50% crit damage talent deep in arcane. But I guess you would need naxx gear or equal to use it well.

  14. #14
    I leveled back in real tbc as fire from 10-70 but I was a noob with 0 clue xd. Fire is cooler :P. I played frost for 2 lvls in hellfirepeninsula when my talents reset on wotlk prepatch but I went back fire.

  15. #15
    Frost is "easier", but not by much or of significant if you ask me. Having leveled several mages back in the tbc days I found them being equal in speed if not faster as fire. Either way I find the differences to be negligible so just go with what you enjoy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •