Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Blademaster Class Concept Updated

https://pacomadreja.github.io/Blademaster.html

I updated the blademaster concept I did 2 years ago, and gave it a better presentation.

Hope you like it

Active Thread Warnings:

Let's drop this derailing tangent about whether Blademasters are specifically Warriors or deserving of their own class and return to discussion of the proposed class concept, which is the point of this thread.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-04-09 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Added Thread Warnings

Cool concept and lot of hard work but I think the next class has to be primarily ranged for class identity to be preserved

Warriors already exist.
    Looking forward to the next non-class guys

Quote Originally Posted by Algorath View Post
    Warriors already exist.
    Looking forward to the next non-class guys
    Out of curiosity, if Blademaster is not enough different from Warrior to be a class, what can they add that it's not already on the game?

I ask because I'm surprised that a lot of people say "they are X class" but they can't agree on wich one (some say warriors, some enh shaman, some monk). I think that maybe it's because Blademaster is it's own thing.
    Last edited by pacotaco; 2021-03-03 at 11:58 PM.

Looks fun! I've wanted blademasters for a while now. They are basically like Warcraft's samurai class.

It wouldn't be a warrior, blademasters don't use plate. And warriors don't use the elements or illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    Out of curiosity, if Blademaster is not enough different from Warrior to be a class, what can they add that it's not already on the game?

I ask because I'm surprised that a lot of people say "they are X class" but they can't agree on wich one (some say warriors, some enh shaman, some monk). I think that maybe it's because Blademaster is it's own thing.
    I find the weaving in and out of stealth and mirror images playing a part in the gameplay to be an interesting concept - but I feel it's more fitting for a fourth spec rather than a class in of itself. Honestly I'm just too tired of hearing new class concepts these days..

I think Blademaster is a possible class next to necromancer and tinkerer. Intersting side note: Samuro has not made an appearance in WoW, and they did not forget about him. Also, they made it possible for Draenei to be Blademaster by lore. Hence both factions can become blademaster

I like your ideas. Well rounded. I personally would prefer more uses of Bladestorm, Mirror Images and Windwalk over all the specs. Can be used offensive and defensive, depending on spec.
    I also think Samuro from HotS is a pretty good template, where some skills and abilities could be converted to wow.
    I am wishing for a Blademaster since more than 10+ years. I still have hope

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algorath View Post
    I find the weaving in and out of stealth and mirror images playing a part in the gameplay to be an interesting concept - but I feel it's more fitting for a fourth spec rather than a class in of itself. Honestly I'm just too tired of hearing new class concepts these days..
    Making it a 4th spec would be a strong waste of potential. Besides, I could see it be a Monk class (wich would mean we miss out on a tank spec. Also BM cant heal, lore wise afair.) Warriors dont fit because the class fantasy is way off of that of an BM.
    Last edited by Bas Prime; 2021-03-05 at 09:58 PM.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

7+ Year Old Account
    Warriors Arms are already blademaster, they just need to put the abilities other classes stolen, like amges stolen mirror image, and put wind walk nerfed as talent, bum, you have blademasters playable

I must admit, it is truly impressive.
    This class concept, usually, takes a back seat in the overall class discussions but i, personally, think it is a viable option.
    Yes, people would say it is an Arms Warrior but, people also used to claim Demon Hunters are just Rogues or Warlocks, and therefore would never be playable (and look where we are).
    As for the class fantasy, a Samurai is definitely missing from the other classes.
    I had a concept of my own:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post52906195
    What do you think about it?

5+ Year Old Account
    I kinda like it. Bit odd that you have a blade master spec that doesn't use blades, but I like the general idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the flavor. If Blizzard were to introduce a system similar to "spec of a spec" or "specific spec theme" I would like to see this as a variation to Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I like the flavor. If Blizzard were to introduce a system similar to "spec of a spec" or "specific spec theme" I would like to see this as a variation to Arms.
    Why not differentiate it from the Arms Warrior?
    other than Bladestorm, none of the Blademaster's abilities are that of the Arms Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Warriors Arms are already blademaster, they just need to put the abilities other classes stolen, like amges stolen mirror image, and put wind walk nerfed as talent, bum, you have blademasters playable
    If there were prestige classing in WoW, perhaps. Otherwise, Blademasters are too different from Warriors in general, other than the fact that they use 2H blades and have Bladestorm. That's their only similarity, and it varies greatly from there.

Warriors don't use stealth mechanics, they don't use mirror image or decoys. They're purely combatants. It's about as different as Warlocks to Demon Hunters; you can't just give em warglaives and melee abilities and call it a day. This is more than just a spec variant, it's an entire new identity that would need to separated or treated like a Prestige class.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    If there were prestige classing in WoW, perhaps. Otherwise, Blademasters are too different from Warriors in general, other than the fact that they use 2H blades and have Bladestorm. That's their only similarity, and it varies greatly from there.

Warriors don't use stealth mechanics, they don't use mirror image or decoys. They're purely combatants. It's about as different as Warlocks to Demon Hunters; you can't just give em warglaives and melee abilities and call it a day. This is more than just a spec variant, it's an entire new identity that would need to separated or treated like a Prestige class.
    literally the only difference of a blademaster to a warrior arms today is the mirror image and wild walk skill

those could be talents to enhance or change a bit the gameplay, for flavour what not

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post

Many believe them to be an Orc/Warrior combination, but in truth Orc Warriors are:

"Warriors are common among orcs. Orcs have a long history of warfare; their race has been battling various creatures for generations. In the past, many orcs embraced their demon-born bloodlust and became barbarians. In recent years, the orcs' discovery of their spiritual and shamanistic path traditions has allowed orcs to focus and refine their savagery. Many orcs still become barbarians, but the way of the trained warrior - becomes more and more common. The iconic orc warrior is garbed in chain mail or leather and plate. He carries a mighty battleaxe and wears a horned helmet. He crouches in a battle stance, axe at the ready, as he evaluates his opponent...then, with a fearsome yowl, he strikes in a blur. Such warriors can be found among the common Grunt or the venerated worg riding raiders."

literally the only difference of a blademaster to a warrior arms today is the mirror image and wild walk skill

those could be talents to enhance or change a bit the gameplay, for flavour what not
    Not true.
    They are lacking the following abilities as well:
    Image Transmission, Advancing Strikes, Critical Strike, Illusion Master, Deflection, Burning Blade, Phantom Pain, Harsh Winds.

Honestly, it's kind of surprising coming from you. I always thought you were a big Orc fan.

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post

https://pacomadreja.github.io/Blademaster.html

I updated the blademaster concept I did 2 years ago, and gave it a better presentation.

Hope you like it
    My two cents: I would lean heavily on the Mirror Image schtick and make it the primary mechanic for the class. While it exists in game, I would amp it up as it's the only melee mechanic that isn't really represented in WoW from the Blademaster's kit from WC 3.

To that end, I'd suggest looking at the Mesmer from GW2. Lots of illusion based abilities with duplicates of the player doing damage and creating effects. It might make the class a little more magical than originally intended, but it would be a cool and unique angle for the class.

The only thing I don't quite agree with is the Mail armor. Considering they are depicted as basically being armorless, it seems like an odd choice based solely on the desire to add another mail class to the game. rather than offering a good representation of what the Blademaster is in lore.

These abilities break the Warrior archetype.

The differences are huge when you consider how mirror image and windwalk would actually change how a Warrior is played, and is a big reason why Warriors don't have said abilities. If it was something that fits a Warrior style of play, then sure I'd completely understand, but we're talking about abilities that aren't related to the Warrior style of gameplay at all.

Blademaster is as much an Arms Warrior as they are a Subtlety Rogue if you really think about it. They're like a Subtlety Rogue that can use 2H blades and Bladestorm.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-03-25 at 12:18 AM.

If that doesn't make you want to play one, then i don't know what will

I like the description that Weapons, Illusions, and Elements as a nice way to break up the core identity of the Blademaster. I feel like this lines up nicely with the purpose of the specs.

Some things I noticed:
    - At least one piece of the Initial Blademaster concept art included Fist Weapons, so they should probably be included as weapons able to be wielded. Expanding on this, Warchief Kargath Bladefist notably used Fist Weapons, and used a lot of common Blademaster imagery in his abilities such as his really fast illusionary dash-striking, as well as quite literally Blade Dance.

- Polearms are also large bladed weapons, they could be put into Burning Blade spec as well. This would also make it easier to swap between a 2h dps and 2h tank spec, there being at least one weapon shared between the two.

- Especially lacking in races like Humans, Forsaken, and Blood Elves who are noted with either racials or weapon masters as masters of the blade, so it seems like Blademasters would be a given for these races given the weapon proficiency. For other weapons, Dwarfs and Trolls also had similar mastery over axes with their weapon masters, and Tauren with staves, if the blade mastery concept is extending beyond just swords this would be good justification to including it to more races and even a good way to tie certain specs more closely to certain races.

- Way of Phantom Pain describes a mastery over water specifically, but only a couple abilities listed for them seem to have much visual thematic theming to water. I'd double down on the water, and even incorporate the water into more of the tank specs' core abilities and passives.

- Wind with dual weapons and fire for two-handed weapons for the burning blade spec I think were a great choices. The closer I just think the synergy with weapon choices and element concept the better they can be more unique and stand as their own specs, so wanted to say good job on that.