Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

"Sonys obsession with blockbusters causing unrest in the PS Empire"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...station-empire

And here i thought i was an extreme minority for being a Playstation fan getting completely bored of the western AAA third person action spam coming out of Sony nowadays. According to Jason Schrier its even a thing with the developers. Which i imagine contributed to some jumping from places like Japan Studio before the shutdowns started.

The oddest thing here though is the apparent confirmation of a Last of Us remake. Not the remaster from a couple of years ago but a remake. I guess the logic is you can sell that at full price on a new console?

Regardless of why i think this is an issue. Even if you adore all of the "blockbuster" focus of current Era Sony its undeniable that its a focus with less output for more development time and costs. This means a lot of empty space that used to be filled with lower budget more niche or experimental games and the studios that made those have all been shut down. So do they end up joining microsoft in a buy up arms race to snap up independent studios to pad the schedule between these 3-7 year developments? or just coast this until even the most mainstream consumers can't be marketed another one of these games because the interest has been exhausted?

I'm not personally interested in a TLOU1 remake. The remaster on PS4 was excellent and still one of the best games...but I've played the original and then that game now, so unless there are new story elements I don't see what the pull would be for me personally. It is a heavily story based game and I've played through it twice already. I guess they could also remaster TLOU2 for PS5 and sell them as a bundle for new buyers. Just a bit boring for me, honestly. I'd prefer a remake of a game I haven't already played twice.

As for blockbusters, can you blame them? Look how easy it is to just marginalize even the best games on a console like the Switch. Look how, no matter how great the actual games are, people who have never played them can easily justify not playing them, why, because they aren't blockbusters. They don't move the needle and change the landscape. Do games like Hades move the needle? They should, they are much better than most blockbusters, but no matter how good a game is, it can't move the needle on a person buying the console, then it might not be a worthy investment for the platform holder. IP, sequels, and remakes are the name of the game for success in the industry today. Why? Nostalgia, that old human defense mechanism, is really weighted on the reward side for behavior that was successful in the past, and that dopamine drip is hard to argue against.

Movies are the exact same thing, look at our obsession with IP and sequels. We are the nostalgia generation. We who would rather have a bloodborne or diablo 2 remake than a new IP. This is a company reacting to our behavior, trying to feed the dragon we are all chasing called nostalgia.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-04-09 at 01:42 PM.

Destruction All Stars and Returnal are far from blockbusters and are games fully funded and published by Sony exclusive for PS5. Same with Sackboy, just that's a PS4 game as well. By the end of this month that will be 3 smaller scale projects already published by Sony on PS5 so uhhh about that whole "less output" thing... Combine them with Miles, Demon's Souls and Rifts Apart in June and that is 6 games published by Sony on PS5 in the span of 7 months. Remind me how many games MS has published on Series X while you're up here hyping all of their studios lol. I realize the facts and numbers don't line up with your agenda, but it's quite sad just how far they are apart.

They should make a Legend of the Dragoon or Legend of Legaia Remake/Remaster... you know games that have been dormant since PS1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    They should make a Legend of the Dragoon or Legend of Legaia Remake/Remaster... you know games that have been dormant since PS1.
    Yes they should, lol. I would LOVE that, as much as I just complained against nostalgia above, I am totally in its grip as well. I am not special, I caused this just as much as anyone with my love of remakes and remasters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Yes they should, lol. I would LOVE that, as much as I just complained against nostalgia above, I am totally in its grip as well. I am not special, I caused this just as much as anyone with my love of remakes and remasters.
    You're allowed to like what you like though, that shouldn't stop devs from making remakes of those old games. It can also bring new audience to those franchises. Often I find newer stuff don't always land as well or have that wide appeal and or people just don't care.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm actually a little concerned about the veracity of this rumor. Would Sony really make a TLOU remake? The remaster was...pretty much perfect. It just makes so little sense, that they would recreate that game which is already really great, iirc 4k/60. Why remake that? What could possibly be improved?

Edit: I just saw this was Schreier....which probably means it is accurate after all...it confounds me why they would remake TLOU though. Wow, this is actually a pretty big story here....
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-04-09 at 02:13 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A remake of TLOU?

That's... Really unnecessary
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: I just saw this was Schreier....which probably means it is accurate after all...it confounds me why they would remake TLOU though. Wow, this is actually a pretty big story here....
    Assuming its true, ...........why? game doesn't look as good visually as LOU2 but I don't think it needs a remake or at least there are better options for a remake then that one.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

by remake do they mean upsycle for ps5? and I don't know, getting upset that they give the game to its original creators to work on seems a bit.... unreasonable to me TBH. now, I'm personaly not interested in this remake, I just mean... they took an IP that company worked on and gave it back to that same company. why not work on a new IP? pitch it to Sony? there is a ton of smaller indi style games that are coming out for playstation every month. so saying that Sony is obsessed with blockbusters is.. an interesting statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Legend of the Dragoon
    Please!

I've really been itching to replay that game. To my knowledge, it was only available again in the US but not over here in the UK.

But, yeah - the obsession with 'gritty realism' in 'cinematic' games is getting a bit much. I say that as someone who likes the genre. Though I'm more invested in survival horror games and JRPG's, both of which are sadly being given less priority than they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Assuming its true, ...........why? game doesn't look as good visually as LOU2 but I don't think it needs a remake or at least there are better options for a remake then that one.
    Well it's gameplay is pretty shit now compared to TLOU2, so it could improve a lot more then graphics. I'm pretty indifferent to a remake of it, but a remake of it coming out a few years into PS5s life cycle would be about the same time span of Shadow of the Colossus remake on PS4 from its original release. SoC also got a remaster on PS3 much like TLOU did on PS4. So there is a history of this type of thing.

Either way it absolutely baffles me and sounds like sour grapes from a dev. Don't choose to work on a remake and then get mad when the original creators want more input on it. Sony definitely didn't force them into a remake, just look at Returnal ffs if you pitch an interesting idea to Sony as a new IP they will gladly accept it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sonys whole business structure is scummy. Also Playstation has had the exact same games with different wrapping for a decade by now. Yet people still go ham. Definition of milking going on here.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Destruction All Stars and Returnal are far from blockbusters and are games fully funded and published by Sony exclusive for PS5. Same with Sackboy, just that's a PS4 game as well. By the end of this month that will be 3 smaller scale projects already published by Sony on PS5 so uhhh about that whole "less output" thing... Combine them with Miles, Demon's Souls and Rifts Apart in June and that is 6 games published by Sony on PS5 in the span of 7 months. Remind me how many games MS has published on Series X while you're up here hyping all of their studios lol. I realize the facts and numbers don't line up with your agenda, but it's quite sad just how far they are apart.
    well said. lol

end of thread. right there.

I just want continuation of the Legendary saga of Leisure Suit Larry, and bring him into the Next Gen Console Wars. His latest fare "Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice" was a little to meta.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Sonys whole business structure is scummy. Also Playstation has had the exact same games with different wrapping for a decade by now. Yet people still go ham. Definition of milking going on here.
    I don’t follow PlayStation what games have they been remaking with a face lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don’t follow PlayStation what games have they been remaking with a face lifts?
    I imagine, "Big action game with lots of set pieces"? But even that's so painfully broad that it's incorrect. Like, technically God of War and Days Gone and Uncharted 4 all fit that overly broad definition...but they're wildly different games individually.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I imagine, "Big action game with lots of set pieces"? But even that's so painfully broad that it's incorrect. Like, technically God of War and Days Gone and Uncharted 4 all fit that overly broad definition...but they're wildly different games individually.
    Ah if that’s what they mean then it’s a pretty meaningless complaint because as you say those games are wildly different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And in fairness, GoW has changed from the original GoW games, gameplay(With similarities obviously) and narratively as well. Outside of that, well people can chose to not buy these big games... /shrug

I'd be more annoyed about microtransactions.

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    A remake of TLOU?

That's... Really unnecessary
    Calling its PS4 port a "remaster" was also unnecessary.

It's totally going to be a fucking movie tie in lmao