Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly sonys just screwing up all around imo from there lack of ANY form of backwards compatability, to shutting down japan studios(and seemingly trying to bury/erase there history of fun silly games/older series)

To there pushing censorship on japanese games(while allowing a sex scene in tlou2) to ahutting down the vita and ps3 stores with next to no notice and more.

I have been a big fan for years and was pretty hyped to get a ps5..I do also loves there games such as Bloodborne(which sadly will likely never get a sequel or a remaster in several years ala demon souls) qnd yes Horizon god of war and spiderman.

Tbh my playstations likely will become a exclusive machines soon when it used to be my go to.

Sony needs to be careful imo. The niche weird japanese games and loyalists are what kept them alive during early ps3 era..and they are definitely abandoning that demographic in favor of a likely much more fickle group of customers which longterm doesn't seem like a good business plan to me

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Please!

I've really been itching to replay that game. To my knowledge, it was only available again in the US but not over here in the UK.

But, yeah - the obsession with 'gritty realism' in 'cinematic' games is getting a bit much. I say that as someone who likes the genre. Though I'm more invested in survival horror games and JRPG's, both of which are sadly being given less priority than they used to.
    There is an untapped market here... 20 year old untouched franchises could be huge. First its nostalgia but then you have an entire generation that has never seen it. Much better than remaking a game that came out 5 years ago on last gen consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    And in fairness, GoW has changed from the original GoW games, gameplay(With similarities obviously) and narratively as well. Outside of that, well people can chose to not buy these big games... /shrug

I'd be more annoyed about microtransactions.
    The only thing that changed was the weapon. Once you get blades of Chaos the game plays almost identical to old GoW games if you want it to, just with a different camera perspective. On top of that mixing both blades of chaos and leviathan axe into combos makes it the best playing GoW game period.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    And in fairness, GoW has changed from the original GoW games, gameplay(With similarities obviously) and narratively as well. Outside of that, well people can chose to not buy these big games... /shrug

I'd be more annoyed about microtransactions.
    They changed GoW because no one was buying the older style of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly sonys just screwing up all around imo from there lack of ANY form of backwards compatability, to shutting down japan studios(and seemingly trying to bury/erase there history of fun silly games/older series)

To there pushing censorship on japanese games(while allowing a sex scene in tlou2) to ahutting down the vita and ps3 stores with next to no notice and more.

I have been a big fan for years and was pretty hyped to get a ps5..I do also loves there games such as Bloodborne(which sadly will likely never get a sequel or a remaster in several years ala demon souls) qnd yes Horizon god of war and spiderman.

Tbh my playstations likely will become a exclusive machines soon when it used to be my go to.

Sony needs to be careful imo. The niche weird japanese games and loyalists are what kept them alive during early ps3 era..and they are definitely abandoning that demographic in favor of a likely much more fickle group of customers which longterm doesn't seem like a good business plan to me
    PS5 is 99% BC with PS4 so claiming they lack any form of BC is false. Also your post fails to live in reality where they are making PS5s at a faster pace then they did PS4s and there is more demand for them then there was PS4s. Sonys market cap is growing, not shrinking. Gamers(not in general but the internet gamers who think they know everything) sure are clueless and out of the loop sometimes, but same people thought the Switch would bomb lol.

But please tell us more about how all the people thirsty to get a PS5 are going to change their minds because the PS3 digital store is shutting down. You can't make up a more comical reason to try to claim a company needs to be careful.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-04-09 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    There is an untapped market here... 20 year old untouched franchises could be huge. First its nostalgia but then you have an entire generation that has never seen it. Much better than remaking a game that came out 5 years ago on last gen consoles.
    Right? It helps that there's a lot of meat on the bone, too. I don't think a game needs to be super long to be good, though it can't be denied that JRPG's and WRPG's are typically of a decent length and thus worth the price paid.

I've been playing my Switch more than my PS5 for that reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    PS5 is 99% BC with PS4 so claiming they lack any form of BC is false. Also your post fails to live in reality where they are making PS5s at a faster pace then they did PS4s and there is more demand for them then there was PS4s. Sonys market cap is growing, not shrinking. Gamers(not in general but the internet gamers who think they know everything) sure are clueless and out of the loop sometimes, but same people thought the Switch would bomb lol.

But please tell us more about how all the people thirsty to get a PS5 are going to change their minds because the PS3 digital store is shutting down. You can't make up a more comical reason to try to claim a company needs to be careful.
    I admit i did forget the ps4 part however they are still dropping alot of things that made them so big.

And please i got a ps5 day 1 due to being a fan for decades now. It's demand is due to three things imo

1. It's new so people want it

2. The scarcity

And 3. The games. Many do look damn good..But i know i am not alone in my distate for sonys neglect of japanese studios and that driving people away who were longtime supporters.

This isn't the kind of issue that becomes obvious or big enough to deal with till several years down the line but they are definitely setting themselves up to take a big hit this console generation and i wprry they may go the way of SEGA long term

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm actually a little concerned about the veracity of this rumor. Would Sony really make a TLOU remake? The remaster was...pretty much perfect. It just makes so little sense, that they would recreate that game which is already really great, iirc 4k/60. Why remake that? What could possibly be improved?

Edit: I just saw this was Schreier....which probably means it is accurate after all...it confounds me why they would remake TLOU though. Wow, this is actually a pretty big story here....
    While the remaster put the first TLOU at 60 fps, "perfect" is a bit of a stretch.

Even in the remaster things like the level design had to contend with having been designed around the limitations of being a PS3 game in the first place. There's a lot of stuff that could be done in a remake to vastly improve on it on the less narrative side of things, as was done in the sequel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

The change in leadership from this: https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/s...59098180046855 to a dude who wants PS to be "the apple of videogames" and says "why would you ever play ps2 games? they are old and look ugly!" does not inspire confidence and i've been buying their hardware for last 26 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Playstation but I really feel like they need to get rid of Jim Ryan. As long as he is leading the charge I very much see them falling back into that early PS3 generation Sony where they think they are above god.

Also....who the fuck is asking for a TLOU1 remake? Lol. I love that game but I don't need it remade 8 years after it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    I love Playstation but I really feel like they need to get rid of Jim Ryan. As long as he is leading the charge I very much see them falling back into that early PS3 generation Sony where they think they are above god.

Also....who the fuck is asking for a TLOU1 remake? Lol. I love that game but I don't need it remade 8 years after it came out.
    Jim Ryan is the reason the PS3 didn't go the way of the Vita and the PS4 and PS5 even exist in the first place. I love how he is being propped up as some evil villian, when if not for him there wouldn't be a PS5.

PS3 was fucking irrelevant in Japan for years and getting its ass destroyed with no lube by the 360 in the US. Jim Ryan as head of SCE Europe at the time single handedly carried the PS3 to dominance in Europe turning around a sure fire failure into a console that would eventually out sell the 360 even though the 360 nearly doubled it's sales in the US.

So get rid of Jim Ryan? Yea sure, if they want to fail horribly. The man keeps moving up for a reason, he will one day be CEO of Sony itself not just Playstation.

Jim Ryan is the reason the PS3 didn't go the way of the Vita and the PS4 and PS5 even exist in the first place. I love how he is being propped up as some evil villian, when if not for him there wouldn't be a PS5.

PS3 was fucking irrelevant in Japan for years and getting its ass destroyed with no lube by the 360 in the US. Jim Ryan as head of SCE Europe at the time single handedly carried the PS3 to dominance in Europe turning around a sure fire failure into a console that would eventually out sell the 360 even though the 360 nearly doubled it's sales in the US.

So get rid of Jim Ryan? Yea sure, if they want to fail horribly. The man keeps moving up for a reason, he will one day be CEO of Sony itself not just Playstation.
    Do you think they would make a non Japanese person CEO? Seems like a big ask in a very unique work culture in one of if not the biggest companies based in japan

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Do you think they would make a non Japanese person CEO? Seems like a big ask in a very unique work culture in one of if not the biggest companies based in japan
    Jim Ryan is the president and CEO of SIE already dude, he's not Japanese. Before him was Andrew House, another CEO for SIE for nearly a decade after Kaz stepped down.

Yes they should, lol. I would LOVE that, as much as I just complained against nostalgia above, I am totally in its grip as well. I am not special, I caused this just as much as anyone with my love of remakes and remasters.
    My problem with the current publisher approach to remakes is that it's so clear they only do it with low hanging fruit and aren't going for the real opportunities. Instead of asking "what games didn't do so well back then but over time have become cult classics with a real fanbase that would love giving the game the attention it deserves?" they simply ask "what sold really well 3-7 years ago that we can put new paint on and expect to sell really well again?"

10+ Year Old Account

Yes I know he saved the PS3 but that doesn't mean he still cant make dumbass decisions. His utter disregard for the Playstation's legacy while also taking them back to this walled garden approach is worrying especially when you have the complete polar opposite at Xbox with Phil Spencer. And sure all of these guys are suits who are out to make money but it doesn't make me feel good to see the head of Playstation doing and saying the things he is. It just feels like he isn't watching the industry change and grow.

And like I said...don't get me wrong. These people are al suits and probably don't give 2 shits about you or me but I really feel like they are walking toward getting caught with their pants down again. I want PlayStation to continue to thrive and all the shit lately just has me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Yes I know he saved the PS3 but that doesn't mean he still cant make dumbass decisions. His utter disregard for the Playstation's legacy while also taking them back to this walled garden approach is worrying especially when you have the complete polar opposite at Xbox with Phil Spencer. And sure all of these guys are suits who are out to make money but it doesn't make me feel good to see the head of Playstation doing and saying the things he is. It just feels like he isn't watching the industry change and grow.
    Because Microsoft needs to play huge catchup after getting obliterated last-gen and remaining behind Sony by all accounts this generation. Sony is the industry leader, so they can "get away" with more and don't need to work as hard as Microsoft does. It's like Microsoft feeling so confident after the 360 days that they rolled out an always-online console nobody asked for with a shitty attachment nobody asked for and just told us to get better internet. If it comes back to bite Sony in the ass they'll deserve it, but by all accounts the lack of more expansive backwards compatibility isn't hurting them. Just like it's not hurting Nintendo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because Microsoft needs to play huge catchup after getting obliterated last-gen and remaining behind Sony by all accounts this generation. Sony is the industry leader, so they can "get away" with more and don't need to work as hard as Microsoft does. It's like Microsoft feeling so confident after the 360 days that they rolled out an always-online console nobody asked for with a shitty attachment nobody asked for and just told us to get better internet. If it comes back to bite Sony in the ass they'll deserve it, but by all accounts the lack of more expansive backwards compatibility isn't hurting them. Just like it's not hurting Nintendo.
    I get that too. I guess what I am getting at is hubris has never helped anyone as both of these examples show. All that said what the fuck do I know. I don't have a business degree and i'm not an insider at either of these companies. They both seem to clearly know what they are doing. It's just frustrating as hell to see this back and forth game instead of both of them always putting their best foot forward.

Been playing PlayStation games since I was like 7 years old and geniunely loved seeing them during the late PS3 early to mid PS4 gen where they didnt seem like a corporation and actually had faces that talked to us. Now we just have Jim Ryan lol. Will be interesting regardless to see how everything shakes out as the new consoles are on the market longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The change in leadership from this: https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/s...59098180046855 to a dude who wants PS to be "the apple of videogames" and says "why would you ever play ps2 games? they are old and look ugly!" does not inspire confidence and i've been buying their hardware for last 26 years.
    That and changing hq to the us imo.

I know most of yall haven't played it yet, but Sony does have an answer to this if they invest in it.

Astrobot, the VR game and then the free game on PS5 are absolutely incredible Mario level games. I don't just say that, and I don't think many games(even Sony exclusives) are Mario Odyssey level, so when I say that I do mean it as a very big compliment. Astrobot is incredible. It is the absolute most under the radar awesomeness in games right now besides maybe Dicey Dungeons.

If Sony would heavily invest in Astrobot like yesterday, get those same devs to do a full fledged AAA release around the size of Odyssey, then I think that one game, like Bloodborne, could change this whole conversation.

Another thing, after all these years and many thousands of dollars, I still cannot get past VR being a novelty for me. Sony believes this is a big competitive advantage, but I'm still not sold. I have the PSVR, the move sticks, all that, and also an original oculus rift from preorder when they first came out. I do not like having to wear something on my face while I'm relaxing, it bothers me.

Another thing, after all these years and many thousands of dollars, I still cannot get past VR being a novelty for me. Sony believes this is a big competitive advantage, but I'm still not sold. I have the PSVR, the move sticks, all that, and also an original oculus rift from preorder when they first came out. I do not like having to wear something on my face while I'm relaxing, it bothers me.
    PSVR on PS4 was pretty much a waste, honestly. The games were hot garbo because the console doesn't have the horsepower for it, really. I'm a bit more optimistic about potential PS5 VR given the horsepower and improvements to VR tech itself. It'll come down to if you're into VR or not, but there's definitely a market for it. Small, but it's growing as easy-use consumer VR becomes more and more affordable over time.