Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's no patriotism like forced patriotism...which isn't really patriotism, but whatever.
    Indeed.

People might scoff at depictions like the above, but if the GOP were given carte blanche policy authority, we'd be there soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol. just lol. Mad repubs gonna be mad. Cuban is a genius.

I also fully intend on teaching any future kids of mine that the correct Pledge of Allegiance is "I pledge allegience to queen frag, and her mighty state of hysteria". The Texas GoP is worth nothing but scorn, mockery, and trolling them until they go fully unhinged.

If I was Cuban, Id play a message before the anthem explaining how it includes some very racist messages.

" No refuge could save the hireling & slave/

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:/

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave/

O’er the land of the free & the home of the brave."
    Last edited by Crissi; 2021-04-09 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    " No refuge could save the hireling & slave/

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:/

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave/

O’er the land of the free & the home of the brave."
    And the Eagle is bald by choice!
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not patriotism when the government holds a gun to your head (literally, economically, socially) and tells you to love them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quite unnecessary - this dips the government too far in the cultural realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Quite unnecessary - this dips the government too far in the cultural realm.
    Quite necessary for Republicans, actually. Their entire party has shed any pretense of having any kind of platform or functional ideology beyond grievance and culture wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Quite necessary for Republicans, actually. Their entire party has shed any pretense of having any kind of platform or functional ideology beyond grievance and culture wars.
    I mean I get the joke - did you get the irony?

I would just play the song at 1000x speed, and volume just barely audible.

So they don't enter into contracts with government entities because ... their government is starting to put strings on the money. Fine with me; government wants to be this cringe, seek your corporate profits elsewhere.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I would just play the song at 1000x speed, and volume just barely audible.
    Have you played the anthem backwards? It will blow your mind...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

How very fascist of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Look at it another way; kneeling is typically done during the anthem, no?
    I'm sure the resident libertarian will whine all about it soon enough.
    Non issue...dealing with contracts...and the state. No harm no foul...ball.
    Mighty fine bootlicking.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I'm sure the resident libertarian will whine all about it soon enough.
    It's cool that you're in love with me, but we've already established that you guys detest the idea of liberty, and just want your version of patriotism.

Trumpsters are a little bit absurd at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Mighty fine bootlicking.
    It's seems you missed a post.

I never got the weird obsession with pledging allegiance and the anthem.

I routinely sat during the pledge when I was in school... and I never crossed my heart when we were to stand and pledge allegiance to the flag.

It's seems you missed a post.
    I didn't miss it. I just don't think it changes anything about the previous posts. You were totally fine with forced patriotism until it was pointed out there might be a contractual issue with it....which means you are totally fine with forced patriotism.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    So they don't enter into contracts with government entities because ... their government is starting to put strings on the money. Fine with me; government wants to be this cringe, seek your corporate profits elsewhere.
    They never entered a contract with the state of Texas only the Armed Forces of the Federal Government hence why I said Texas truly has no horse in this race. Also like I said if the Armed Forces of the Federal Government wants to compel the sports team to play the National Anthem before games per a contract they can take them to civil court. You know the place contract disputes are taken not in the third party of a legislative body who is not involved with this contract. Plus as @cubby stated Texas is putting new stipulations on existing contracts that the teams have in place with cities over use with the stadiums. So if Texas tries to enforce this I would hope the courts would knock this down as a First Amendment violation by trying to compel free speech but I am pretty sure the Mavericks or any team Texas tried this on would win in civil court over a breach in contract.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    They never entered a contract with the state of Texas only the Armed Forces of the Federal Government hence why I said Texas truly has no horse in this race. Also like I said if the Armed Forces of the Federal Government wants to compel the sports team to play the National Anthem before games per a contract they can take them to civil court. You know the place contract disputes are taken not in the third party of a legislative body who is not involved with this contract. Plus as @cubby stated Texas is putting new stipulations on existing contracts that the teams have in place with cities over use with the stadiums. So if Texas tries to enforce this I would hope the courts would knock this down as a First Amendment violation by trying to compel free speech but I am pretty sure the Mavericks or any team Texas tried this on would win in civil court over a breach in contract.
    So it sounds like Texas can't give them a worry. Federal armed forces are that bureaucracy and Congress/the President EO. Now if the stadiums are owned by public entities under Texas state law, by preemption, that would be an interesting lawsuit. It's only passed one part of Texas, so I can't expect serious legal analysis on a variety of possible avenues until it gets sent to the governor's desk. (see, for example, the way Georgia's voting law changed from the first half of the legislature to final version)
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I didn't miss it. I just don't think it changes anything about the previous posts. You were totally fine with forced patriotism until it was pointed out there might be a contractual issue with it....which means you are totally fine with forced patriotism.
    Patriotism is an emotion. Can you be forced to feel something that you don't feel?

Patriotism is an emotion. Can you be forced to feel something that you don't feel?
    All right, then you are totally fine with an attempt to force patriotism. Doesn't change anything about your bootlicking behaviour.