BG / World PVP nameplates

So I came back to the game a few months ago and have been enjoying it as a casual. Has taken a while to get back up to speed with things and all the changes since I last played (MOP) but I’m nearly there.

One thing I still haven’t resolved to my satisfaction is a good nameplate setup for BG and world pvp.

I’m using elvui and have tried plater and a couple of others but I can’t get it quite right.

What’s the problem? Well the default options to have health bars class coloured are great in one way (it’s obviously great to know what you are fighting) but in the heat of a big fight everything blurs into a mass of colours and I can’t easily make out who is enemy or friend. If I flip it to all enemy’s red for example I lose that useful class identifier.

Has anyone got any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of views but no answers. Not sure if this is because no-one has a solution or I didn't explain properly. In case its the latter............the most popular addons I've tried tend to default to enemy players with health bars class-coloured. This is useful in one way but in another it gets very confusing. Lets say in a BG where theres a choke point where the 2 sides meet. The various tank classes clash, but all I see is a mess of brown, purple and pink bars. Theres no easy way in the heat of a fight to tell if one brown bar is my warrior or the horde warrior. Same for everything else.

Another situation is in world pvp. Lets say someone tried to gank you, one of the first things I like to assess is how many potential other enemies might join in if I choose to fight.

So in both cases, I'm looking to get some sort of nameplate setup that gives relevant class information while making it super clear which players are enemies or not.

Anyone?

You could try Threat Plates, previously Tidy Plates: Threat Plates it's now a standalone add-on. I've used it since wrath when I used to main tank and it was super useful for the threat aspect (still is) but it has an incredible amount of options, a few that might help you out include:
    -Using Blizzard name plates for one specific group (friendlies are blizzard, enemies are threat plates); would make enemies/friendlies stick out more.
    -Name color, could color enemy name in one color and friendlies in another
    -Status text, cast bar, transparency, the list goes on, I'd suggest at least downloading it and giving it a try.

A lot of people use flyPlateBuffs (https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/flyplatebuffs) for PvP. I think it works pretty well out of the box with minimal setup.

I personally use Plater (https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/plater-nameplates). It is very highly configurable and takes a little more to get it working for exactly what you want to show and hide.

Either way, I think the standard approach to what you're talking about is to show class colors for enemy plates and a single standard colors for allies. You can use icons to show the class, but mostly people do setup for organized PvP and you should know what classes your teammates are without having to be told. Ultimately you can do the setup however you like, just look at the options an figure out what makes sense for you.

Thank you for the information

You can also try only showing enemy nameplates to stop the chaos. I think that unless you can make enemy and friendly nameplates not interact with each other at all so they don't push each other around it's just not worth it. You can look at your raidframes for healthbars imo.

Show all nameplates is a cluster, I advise stick to enemy plates only.