Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The Day Before - New open-world MMO set in a deadly, post-pandemic America

Didn't see a thread for this.

The Day Before is a new open-world MMO survival game set in a deadly, post-pandemic America overrun by flesh-hungry infected and survivors killing each other for food, weapons, and cars.

Looking like a cross between The Last of Us and The Division, The Day Before is an open world survival game coming to PC with elements of PvP and PvE, putting you against other players and the game's take on zombies called infected.

Coming "Soon"

Awful, scripted gameplay aside, what do you guys think?

I'm a longtime DayZ player so this type of game is right down my alley. However, I really don't like how the zombies seem to be bullet sponges. I'm also worried about the movement, it looks clunky and track-like. It's stunning visually though. I just hope they make it more realistic in terms of bullet usage, stamina, food/water, sickness, temperature and being wet/dry, etc.

My expectations are tempered, but a new entry into this genre is more than welcomed.

Edit:

Looks like there's a combat reveal as well.

Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2021-04-12 at 11:21 PM.

It looks... generic. Like The Division or Day Z?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It looks... generic. Like The Division or Day Z?
    Haven't played The Division so can't comment on that, but if it's a successor to DayZ that'd be fantastic considering Bohemia Interactive has basically left the standalone to rot.

Hmm, not really digging it. Seems to have the worst part of the genre (random strangers) while not having the best part (base building). Their engine looks decent, but I don't see anything that makes the generic setting more interesting other than being a graphical update over stuff like war z and similar games. Being a post apocolypse modern setting it also doesn't seem to have much potential to spice the setting up.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-12 at 09:27 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hmm, not really digging it. Seems to have the worst part of the genre (random strangers) while not having the best part (base building). Their engine looks decent, but I don't see anything that makes the generic setting more interesting other than being a graphical update over stuff like war z and similar games. Being a post apocolypse modern setting it also doesn't seem to have much potential to spice the setting up.
    I imagine it has base building to some degree since there's a crafting system. It looks like you might just take over a house and then put security systems on it or something. The looting also looks pretty garbage. Long search times for random chests everywhere, can't tell what's in them, and poor animations. The genre has definitely stagnated.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2021-04-12 at 11:23 PM.

Wow, an open world survival MMO... Totally new concept here, that hasn't tanked abysmally every other time it's been attempted.

My criteria for the past 5-odd years, has involved avoiding 3 tags in particular... Early Access, Open World, and Survival/Horror. If a game checks at least two of those tags, it's probably going to be absolutely terrible, and it hasn't failed me so far. Valheim's about the only one in that time that hasn't been dreadful.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not only does it look pretty dammed generic, it looks "old". If I could play it for free for 30days, I might check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like another one for the pile of generic post-apo survival shooter games.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Wow, an open world survival MMO... Totally new concept here, that hasn't tanked abysmally every other time it's been attempted.

My criteria for the past 5-odd years, has involved avoiding 3 tags in particular... Early Access, Open World, and Survival/Horror. If a game checks at least two of those tags, it's probably going to be absolutely terrible, and it hasn't failed me so far. Valheim's about the only one in that time that hasn't been dreadful.
    That's fair. Have you tried DayZ? It checked all three of those boxes, but no game has ever done it better imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Looks like another one for the pile of generic post-apo survival shooter games.
    Definitely somewhat generic, but I think it has potential if they listen to feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Not only does it look pretty dammed generic, it looks "old". If I could play it for free for 30days, I might check it out.
    What about it looks old? Certainly not the graphics, so you must mean the gameplay?

MMOs with no driving force behind them besides get loot & randomly bumblefuck around are bottom tier. I'm so sick of empty, hollow worlds where "you make your own fun!" I'm not looking for time sucks or zone-out experiences and I'm sick of that low effort development being 90% of what comes out... give me more actual MMOs that are okay risking and pushing the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    MMOs with no driving force behind them besides get loot & randomly bumblefuck around are bottom tier. I'm so sick of empty, hollow worlds where "you make your own fun!" I'm not looking for time sucks or zone-out experiences and I'm sick of that low effort development being 90% of what comes out... give me more actual MMOs that are okay risking and pushing the envelope.
    Care to elaborate on what you think "risking and pushing the envelope" means for this genre?

Survival zombie mmo? Can't imagine it having a long hold on interest in the long run.

Nobody has done this before

Good god i hope the whole survival hype is over soon... i can't even destinguish between the game anymore tbh^^

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    What about it looks old? Certainly not the graphics, so you must mean the gameplay?
    Graphics and movement. Looks like something made during 00s.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Graphics and movement. Looks like something made during 00s.
    The lighting looks top notch so I've got to disagree on that point. Are you viewing it on low res or something lol?

Right with you on the movement though. It reminds me of like Gears of War or something really on-rails and clumsy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    The lighting looks top notch so I've got to disagree on that point. Are you viewing it on low res or something lol?
    Heh, indeed I was. Certainly looks significantly better at 1080.

15+ Year Old Account
    Saw this a few days ago, and as someone who really liked both Division games, I will definitely be trying this and hoping it doesn't suck

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A long loot animation for no reason is a step backward at least a decades worth. Like why does it take 3 seconds to open up a cooler just so you can see the loot? Clearly this game is still in development but the player animations are also poor and clunky looking. This doesn't look great and Im a fan of the genre in general so its not just haterade I'm drinking

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    A long loot animation for no reason
    I imagine it's there for the reason reason it is in most of these games: Opportunity cost. It'd be easy to just dash into somewhere and quickly loot things while largely avoiding having to clear it out because looting is near instant. By putting a 2-5s timer on it (I hate the longer ones unless it's for something really special) they're forcing you to maintain awareness of your surroundings while looting and make sure you've cleared an area out so you can safely loot.