Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Anima, Stygia, Renown, Soul Ash. Does anyone else get exhausted by all the currencies

Currencies and systems. Systems and currencies.
    What is most appealing to me about TBC is getting away from all the convoluted systems and currencies. The game was a lot easier to grasp back then and it didn't feel like you had a gazillion plates you had to spin to keep your character going.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather play something new. TBC isn't super interesting since I've already done it but the design philosophies of modern WoW are just so off putting.

I miss the days when you had your talent tree, you had your gear and you had your gold. That was all you had to worry about. If you wanted to do more you had reputations and professions to work on that ended once they were done. At the very most I think we should have a PvP currency like honor and a PvE currency like valor.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    TBC was very busy with less things. But those things were quality, core MMORPG matters.

Today issues are quite arcade grind fests. Only one you can decide to ignore, Anima, the rest you must do if you want your character to perform, because skills do not matter that much today compared to systems and borrowed powers.

The people leading WoW only understand business and not gaming. Al those who understood gaming have left.
    The irony is.. the WoW killer might end up coming on the form of the future new game made by the very WoW creators. If not, by someone else who shares those values.

Business men can not run a game, they will cash it out hard for a while, sure, but it will die. A proper game is not meant to give you money in the short term, but in the long. That is why wow remains relevant even today at its lowest, because it would properly started. If the current leaders would have created it, it would have lasted a year.

Rant said... yes, I agree. I also don´t find TBC all that amazing, been there, done that... loved it and it is my favorite part of wow. But I see no point doing it all over again when I know exactly what comes next... However, I did not PvP much back then, so maybe I do that.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    What I hate the most is how Blizzard made it hard/impossible to play other specs of your class as optimally as your main spec. People hated WoD, and rightfully so when it comes to total content, but it was the last expansion that allowed us to easily change specs whenever we wanted and play it optimally. No extra correct Covenant or Legendary or Azerite or Corruption was needed. Only the occassional gear swap to match different 2ndary stat prios.

I wouldn't mind all these currencies if I could just play my class in peace. I want to try Kyrian Arcane Mage but that would mean I'd have to jeopardize my fire spec + ditch all the progress I'm putting in my Sanctum. Just, ugh.

The currencies aren't that convoluted are they? Stygia is maw stuff, soul ash is legendaries, renown is covenant levels and anima is recolors boots.

The problem is more the quality of the rewards... Anima is unfun and unrewarding, stygia is the only reliable way to upgrade conduits but guess what they made it random because f the players, soul ash and thus thorghast is pointless after one leggo and the covenant systems are just a whole can of worms in themselves.

Spirit Shards
    Mark of Honor Hold
    Glowcap
    Arcane Rune
    Holy Dust
    Halaa battle token
    Halaa research token
    Sunmote
    Unidentified plant parts
    Uncatalogued species
    Coulfang Armaments
    All the shit from sporeggar(cba to write it down)
    Mark of KJ
    Mark of Sarg
    Fel Armament
    Arcane Tome
    Arakkoa Feather
    Obsidian Warbeads
    Oshu'gun Crystal fragments
    Zaxxis Insignia

Probably missing some.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Spirit Shards
    Mark of Honor Hold
    Glowcap
    Arcane Rune
    Holy Dust
    Halaa battle token
    Halaa research token
    Sunmote
    Unidentified plant parts
    Uncatalogued species
    Coulfang Armaments
    All the shit from sporeggar(cba to write it down)
    Mark of KJ
    Mark of Sarg
    Fel Armament
    Arcane Tome
    Arakkoa Feather
    Obsidian Warbeads
    Oshu'gun Crystal fragments
    Zaxxis Insignia

Probably missing some.
    None of these were needed to play the endgame. Only some were favored for reputation. Did you even try to read what OP is saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    None of these were needed to play the endgame. Only some were favored for reputation. Did you even try to read what OP is saying?
    3/4 of what the op mentioned are either done automaticly simply by playing or arent needed for your characters progression.

Did you even try to grasp what my point was?

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    TBC was very busy with less things. But those things were quality, core MMORPG matters.

Today issues are quite arcade grind fests. Only one you can decide to ignore, Anima, the rest you must do if you want your character to perform, because skills do not matter that much today compared to systems and borrowed powers.
    Since when is 3 quests a week considered a "grind"? Especially when one of those quests is "do a little bit of anything your choice until it's done"? And the second is gather 5-20 things from a specific area? Has the bar really gotten so low? An old school mmo player would consider those kinds of things to be a warm up before asking "Ok, that was cute, where's the real grind now?" Guess that's the problem with going mainsteam. You get a lot of not-mmo players.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    3/4 of what the op mentioned are either done automaticly simply by playing or arent needed for your characters progression.

Did you even try to grasp what my point was?
    I agree about that only regarding the Renown since you can passively get it by doing content (dunno if you get on pvp content though). My experience with Anima is that you need to go after it (WQs etc) otherwise the passive gain is somewhat limited - or let's say not enough. However it's not needed for anything non-cosmetic.

Stygia and Soul Ash are impacting performance. Stygia can increase your performance with the extra sockets and Soul Ash is mandatory currency. Your point didn't touch all aspects of the currencies we farm now.

I agree about that only regarding the Renown since you can passively get it by doing content (dunno if you get on pvp content though). My experience with Anima is that you need to go after it (WQs etc) otherwise the passive gain is somewhat limited - or let's say not enough. However it's not needed for anything non-cosmetic.

Stygia and Soul Ash are impacting performance. Stygia can increase your performance with the extra sockets and Soul Ash is mandatory currency. Your point didn't touch all aspects of the currencies we farm now.
    Stygia and soul ash were done along time ago. Stygia is done in 9.1 so no point in hoarding it. Renown had a stupid easy catch up and anima is cosmetic.

Don't understand the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Currencies and systems. Systems and currencies.
    What is most appealing to me about TBC is getting away from all the convoluted systems and currencies. The game was a lot easier to grasp back then and it didn't feel like you had a gazillion plates you had to spin to keep your character going.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather play something new. TBC isn't super interesting since I've already done it but the design philosophies of modern WoW are just so off putting.

I miss the days when you had your talent tree, you had your gear and you had your gold. That was all you had to worry about. If you wanted to do more you had reputations and professions to work on that ended once they were done. At the very most I think we should have a PvP currency like honor and a PvE currency like valor.
    I mean some of this currency could be an item in the bag, but TBC fast far from less currencies - 4 types of pvp badges, AP, HP, BoJ, Terrokar, HF had their own pvp objective tokens, Halaa had 2 types of tokens, dust which you get after turning in arcane tome or same thing for aldor you also had marks of ilidari and lots of other crap which would now go as a currency (keys/apex/shadow dust for Skyguard/Marks of Sargeras/Signets/arcane tomes/fel anamrments (?), coilfang rep thingies, cooking ribbons, Nagrand ogre necklaces and am fairly sure I forget something.

Hey, add Valor Points. And god knows what they'll introduce with 9.1 to keep you busy. Oh, you forgot Conduit energy. And then there are all the other collectible resources...
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

You needed tomes for enchants, sunmotes for crafting, ilidari marks for flasks, you also had Arena Poitns, Honor Points, 4 types of PvP marks in BGs and Badges of Justice.
    In SL only we have Valor Points, Conquest Points and Honor Points and Soul Ash. If you start including anime and other covenant crap then TBC is hands down worse in currencies. Not saying that it is bad, but it's a bad expansion to run away from it and WotLK will get you nowhere too. If anything it might be even worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    Stygia and soul ash were done along time ago. Stygia is done in 9.1 so no point in hoarding it. Renown had a stupid easy catch up and anima is cosmetic.

Don't understand the problems.
    Personally I don't mind those, I only mind having the Covenants locked. What OP is saying is that in older expansions you didn't need currencies to function. Then the other person posted a list of tbc currencies that were not needed for your optimization. I played through TBC from start to finish and I remember some were traded for reputation gains but apart from ir you just did your dungeons, your attunements and raids. Or Arena.

I dont mind soul ash. I hate doing it, but its once a week and done.

Renown is capped to 40, it doesnt matter really.
    So does Anima - once you unlocked what you need, maybe transmogs - doesnt matter anymore.

Stygia - once you have sockets... same deal. doesnt matter. and honestly this is a luxury, you can get along just fine without them.

All in all, it matters less than you think it does.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    You needed tomes for enchants, sunmotes for crafting, ilidari marks for flasks, you also had Arena Poitns, Honor Points, 4 types of PvP marks in BGs and Badges of Justice.
    In SL only we have Valor Points, Conquest Points and Honor Points and Soul Ash. If you start including anime and other covenant crap then TBC is hands down worse in currencies. Not saying that it is bad, but it's a bad expansion to run away from it and WotLK will get you nowhere too. If anything it might be even worse.
    Sunmotes were needed for one patch for crafting of specific gear. It also dropped from the raid, it wasn't necessary currency to do the raid. Only if you wanted to craft that specific item. Illidari Marks were not necessary as the flasks didn't offer more than the regular alchemist flask iirc, you also needed to farm some reputations to exalted. I don't remember the 4 bg marks ever being relevant to gearing. You didn't have to do any of it to maximize your character's performance unless a specific crafted item was BiS. Otherwise you'd just do the dungeons/raids and wait for the drops.

Renown you get passively, and once you reach 31 or something the rest is just flavour.
    Stygia isnt needed. Its less of a boost then stuff like aldor/scryers where. Just ignore it
    Soul ash is needed but its a really limited grind. 30 mins - 1,5 hours a week for couple of weeks and you are set.
    Anima is completely irrelevant. Just ignore it.

1 out of these 4 you need to grind - for a bit. Thats not even remotely in the same ballpark as tbc where you need to grind reps for items and enchants plus professions for items.

- - - Updated - - -

Sunmotes were needed for one patch for crafting of specific gear. It also dropped from the raid, it wasn't necessary currency to do the raid. Only if you wanted to craft that specific item. Illidari Marks were not necessary as the flasks didn't offer more than the regular alchemist flask iirc, you also needed to farm some reputations to exalted. I don't remember the 4 bg marks ever being relevant to gearing. You didn't have to do any of it to maximize your character's performance unless a specific crafted item was BiS. Otherwise you'd just do the dungeons/raids and wait for the drops.
    Guess how many of the OP's currencies are needed for one patch

Renown is not a currency. And looking back, past WoW expansions had more currencies and nobody complained.
    Yes, TBC as well. Back then you had the currency in your inventory. Infact, every faction had some form of currency back then.

I rather have one unified currency for each content type than having one currency per faction that clutters my inventory.

Lol, same here then - only need stygia to raid. All other currencies in SL are complimentary.

4 BG marks was needed for getting BG gear from PvP, plus honor points you will need days of grinding for that. Items cost 9-20k, probably takes about as much time to upgrade gear now as it took back in a day.

What I hate the most is how Blizzard made it hard/impossible to play other specs of your class as optimally as your main spec. People hated WoD, and rightfully so when it comes to total content, but it was the last expansion that allowed us to easily change specs whenever we wanted and play it optimally. No extra correct Covenant or Legendary or Azerite or Corruption was needed. Only the occassional gear swap to match different 2ndary stat prios.

I wouldn't mind all these currencies if I could just play my class in peace. I want to try Kyrian Arcane Mage but that would mean I'd have to jeopardize my fire spec + ditch all the progress I'm putting in my Sanctum. Just, ugh.
    I totally agree.

WoD was maybe "lazy" and there maybe weren't much things to do... but that what made it good. You didn't have to farm 24/7(okay, it's a little exaggeration but you get the idea).
    You just needed to get items... and that was mostly it. I could just log on a few days a week for raiding only and that was totally fine for me. Liked the Garrisons also, because it was a free gold making machine(and the only reason why I did level so many alts!).

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    That's false.

Some legendaries were buffed, so you had to farm the soul ash. Same goes for Stygia - what if you are still progressing or if you got the 6ilvl upgrade from the weekly chest? You'd need to put a socket in the item to make it an upgrade.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2021-04-13 at 08:25 AM.