Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Being able to change class.

Would you enjoy a system where you can change your class just like we can change our talents/spec? I am proposing this because while I tried a little bit of FF14 a few years ago, what I really loved was the ability to change my class whenever I felt like it. I was amazed how fluid and easy it was implemented and now that I am sick of my mage and paladin in Shadowlands, I was thinking of trying a new class. The leveling and gearing is not the problem, but the need to do all the systems around it again. Unlock all the covenant stuff, reputation with Venari, Torghast etc. all of this is boring and I have already done once or twice.

I have lots of ashes left to make new legendaries on both my characters, but it just rots there and if I was able to change my class on my Nightborne elf to a priest for example I could use that. Same with Valor points, it just rots on my mage. Basically, if I was to change from mage to priest I am back to level 1, but I keep all my currencies, all gear I have since both use cloth (which would not work if you change from cloth to leather for example obviously where you would need to farm leather gear then) I can re-do the leveling content, but keep endgame systems, can use the mount from level 1 etc. If you played FF14 you will know what I mean, it is really well done.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2021-06-23 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Updated title, check post. Didn't meant to write "Without leveling".

I would personally enjoy it but there needs to be a system/quest/scenario where you progressively learn new spells for the new class/spec, otherwise it will overwhelm most people. Something more in-depth than the current class trial system.

No thanks, it's already very easy to catch up on Alts. I like the design where class choice is actually meaningful, if anything I would like it to be even harder for Alts to keep up.

It is not the problem with leveling/changing the class itself.
    It is the problem with introducing 325345342 pointless systems that are illusory and artificial 'content' and in later are fixed/nerfed as 'we heard feedback' patch features.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    It is not the problem with leveling/changing the class itself.
    It is the problem with introducing 325345342 pointless systems that are illusory and artificial 'content' and in later are fixed/nerfed as 'we heard feedback' patch features.
    This tbh, in the past if I wanted to get an alt, I needed to do 2 things: level and get gear. But since last ~3 expansions there are more and more "unlocks" you have to redo on every character, which feels boring, tedious, and ultimately making alts unfun to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks......
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I would unironically support it, wow can't and won't do it (in the near future at least) though.

People already have alts they've had for decades
    They just went to all the effort of introducing 'new' races to play as
    The lore's not there
    It's one thing to steal from dead or dying competitors it's quite another to steal from what people perceive to be your only real competition essentially ever.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

7+ Year Old Account
    Only if I can use it to get the few missing CM gold sets on classes I didn't play back in MoP. Otherwise it's a dead feature for me (as I already have multiple of each class - different race/class-combos just feel different enough to warrant many alts).

#TEAMGIRAFFE

I wouldn't trust blizzard not to monetize it and then make massive sweeping nerfs every tier to get more class transfer bucks.

You still need to level up jobs in FF 14 when you switch to a new one. Obviosly the big plus is that you do not need to regrind crafting jobs when you do.

Reputation and such should have been account wide for a while now.

Leveling is already so fast that it hardly matters, it's after the level cap that the problems begin with bringing alts up to speed. Grinding anima for the oribos portal on multiple characters is not my idea of fun times, so my alts are left with no portal or other sanctum upgrades.

Maybe not directly change class, but I've always wished that a lot of the content-progression type stuff was account bound. I just don't get why I need to go through the same boring story content on every new character, all it does is make me not bother to have an alt.

Altough I agree, that once you hit max level, you can feel overwhelmed with stuff to do beyond getting gear, but the class change system a-la spec change is pointless and unrealistic.

Also, Blizzard have made it rather easy to catch everything up:
    - Torghast is account-wide - fresh alts have all the layers available that you unlocked on main;
    - Renown drops almost from every dungeon, especially at low levels, making it easy to catch up to get all the soulbind rows, which is what matters for performance, so you get it while farming gear;
    - Reputations don't matter, even Venari rep doesn't matter since Torghast utility is account-wide, and the rest of it is completely optional except for those with OCD.

It seems like you just what to spend Soul Ash and valor points on something useful. Ash will be transferable in 9.1. VPs will be farmed while you work on gearing. And you'll only need to use them to upgrade your +13-15 end chest rewards.

So technically, all you need to do on an alt is covenant campaign and dungeons/raids/pvp + weeklies.

Why class change is unrealistic:

1. Armor
    More or less easy within the same armor type, but what if its different? You end up with greens?

2. Weapons/trinkets
    Even within the same armor type some classes use different weapons (daggers, swords etc) and offhands (dual-wield vs 2h, OH weapon vs shield) and require different trinkets (healers/tanks/dps). Do they get changed, or you end up without a weapon?

3. Legendaries
    They get changed or you have to farm recipes and soul ash (for people who don't have it stockpiled)?

4. Conduits
    Automatically swapped or have to regrind?

5. Covenant
    If your current covenant isn't optimal for your new class, you'd have to swap it with all of the requirements and consequences and regrind renown which you will have to do on a new char anyway

6. Race/class combo
    What if the race doesn't support the class you've chosen? Race change is a paid service, should class change be as well?

Honorable mention: secondary stats - since you've listen venari as smth new char has to or need to do, I bet you would care a lot about optimal secondary stats.

So, in the end, would you actually save the time by a class swap or it will be faster to get a fresh 60 rolling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Once upon a time I thought it was a good idea. These days I know its not, and that's why few games allow something like that.

You need to make a choice to play a specific class, and that choice has to have meaning. If you can just randomly switch whenever, there is no more meaning behind a character. I know FF14 can pull this off, but it's a very different type of game. Instead, how Blizzard works is how I prefer it - catch-up gear and mechanics to let you gear up alts comparable to your main.

In our raid I've seen this work out great. We have people who swap toons to fill different roles based on availability of mains, and they keep up through M+ and alt raids. I think it's a system that works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathspell View Post
    Leveling is already so fast that it hardly matters, it's after the level cap that the problems begin with bringing alts up to speed. Grinding anima for the oribos portal on multiple characters is not my idea of fun times, so my alts are left with no portal or other sanctum upgrades.
    I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Maybe on your 2nd 60 it feels okay, by alt 10 I'm basically quitting the game.

There should be a progressive system for this, like 10% bonus XP per max level character. Ofc there won't be, this regime doesn't care about this playstyle obviously and would apparently rather have people just quit.

Ontopic, as others have said you still need to level your alt jobs in Ff14, but it's widely supported by things like job specific quests and logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Maybe on your 2nd 60 it feels okay, by alt 10 I'm basically quitting the game.

There should be a progressive system for this, like 10% bonus XP per max level character. Ofc there won't be, this regime doesn't care about this playstyle obviously and would apparently rather have people just quit.

Ontopic, as others have said you still need to level your alt jobs in Ff14, but it's widely supported by things like job specific quests and logs.
    And you have 100% xp bonus while under the level of your most highest job level.

No.

My characters mean a lot because they're unique in class/race/gender combo. If one of them could easily be every class, it'd cheapen my history with each character, so I'd prefer it stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And you have 100% xp bonus while under the level of your most highest job level.
    Right! Forgot the best part. I'm new to Ff14.

we live in the "If FFonline has it so must WoW" era !
    We all say that wow has lost its touch and fantasy factor and its now a chore,just imagine the grind you have to do in order to keep yourself on par for multiple classes,2nd where is the fantasy in that? at 8oclock im a warrior and at 9oclock a warlock? >.>
    This is a change that cant be supported in wow

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    No.

My characters mean a lot because they're unique in class/race/gender combo. If one of them could easily be every class, it'd cheapen my history with each character, so I'd prefer it stays the same.
    I agree with this, it's why I have a toon for every spec - so I can use all the awesome races.

Trouble is, actually leveling that many toons is impossible, so they rot at lvl 51 or 52. I just can't do those same 4 dungeons anymore after my 10th 60. Now if I had a 100% and climbing XP bonus, I wouldn't be essentially quitting. Hedging my bets a little because I do wanna see 9.1, but I don't see anything at all there that moves the needle for me personally.