Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This wasn't a PR move, because Blizzard didn't make a statement about it, the community discovered it through datamining. This was just Activision trying to protect themselves against potential future controversy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Over rumours, seriously? So we really just sticking with "guilty until proven innocent" angle, hey? I'd be all for this if they fucking waited for proof to roll out. Also, they've got to stop hiring anime dub voice actors. Good god they're all horrible. From Bastion NPCs, to Ardenweald NPCs to this.
    So kind of like you are seeing Blizzard as guilty instead of innocent until proof. He could have also retired or took a break so Blizzard was forced to get a new voice actor. The thing is we don't know and can only guess at the reasons. Also Mr. Flynn is much more then an Anima dub voice actor. He is no different then any other voice actor unless you were going off on an unrelated rant.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Which was like, my whole point?
    If we don't burn MJ's discography right now then we also shouldn't remove some guy's voice work from 15 years before.
    I think this is a misrepresentation.

They didn't change the old lines because they wanted to "cancel" the original VA. They changed them because they want all the voiced lines of a character to be consistent in the game, and so if they hire a new one (for whatever reason) they usually go back and redo the old lines so it sounds the same.

This was purely a result of them hiring a new VA, not of wanting to expurgate their material because they don't like what the old VA did (even though this, of course, lead to the new hire).

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I think this is a misrepresentation.

They didn't change the old lines because they wanted to "cancel" the original VA. They changed them because they want all the voiced lines of a character to be consistent in the game, and so if they hire a new one (for whatever reason) they usually go back and redo the old lines so it sounds the same.

This was purely a result of them hiring a new VA, not of wanting to expurgate their material because they don't like what the old VA did (even though this, of course, lead to the new hire).
    Nope.

They didn't re-record Saurfang's old lines with the new VA. One example you can go and check in-game right now.

Stop trying to justify this. This is just sad.

Definitely worse. The old kael voice actor was hammy as all hell but it felt right. At the least I think he should try again at some of those lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    I mean the pharaohs were insectious pricks who treated their people like garbage. And this isn't actual important history as the dude literally sexually harassed people. You're perspective makes me sad to use this fansite still. I bet you're a method apologist.
    But the dude didn't. This is the point, mate.

Or please prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So kind of like you are seeing Blizzard as guilty instead of innocent until proof. He could have also retired or took a break so Blizzard was forced to get a new voice actor. The thing is we don't know and can only guess at the reasons. Also Mr. Flynn is much more then an Anima dub voice actor. He is no different then any other voice actor unless you were going off on an unrelated rant.
    The guy sounds like an impersonator of the original voice actor, they haven't removed/replaced old recordings of other characters that had new voice actors. This is just the Swifty situation all over, some rumours go around and Blizzard react to wash themselves of it before it even has a chance to be proven right or wrong.

No disrespect to the new voice actor but he sounds like a generic impersonator for most of the dialogue, and it's replacing iconic audio that people hold to memory. It would be like replacing Michael Jackson's recordings with an impersonator, only Michael actually had some serious allegations and still hasn't been cancelled.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Both voices are kinda meh.

Still dont get why people would lose their job over something that has nothing to do with their jobs and isnt even proven. Must be that new 2021 justice system where can lose everything if somebody wants to ruin you with zero effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Both voices are kinda meh.

Still dont get why people would lose their job over something that has nothing to do with their jobs and isnt even proven. Must be that new 2021 justice system where can lose everything if somebody wants to ruin you with zero effort.
    It took me like 30 seconds of looking into this to see that some of the accusers had audio recordings.

https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-king...t-accusations/

Don't think it's exactly a "no evidence", there's enough for a job to react. Mind you, aren't voice actors contracted jobs? Not really that different than just not having the character anymore in the game.

Also yeah, the voices aren't really that drastically different.

Right, he wasn't an employee that got fired, they just didn't use him for new material. And they didn't make a statement about it, or any kind of a big deal, they just went with someone different. Mountain, meet molehill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    The guy sounds like an impersonator of the original voice actor, they haven't removed/replaced old recordings of other characters that had new voice actors.
    For some translations they replaced voice actors in WC3 classic when the remaster was released. I didn't verify the search result so it might not be true. This is just a company replacing a voice actor and not giving any reasons for it. If it is bad for Blizzard to "cancel" a person over allegations then isn't equally as bad to be upset at Blizzard when you don't know the real reason why?

This is the largest problem with people who get outraged over canceling. They cancel things just as easily themselves but only care when it is something being done that they don't agree with. Bringing up Michael Jackson is irrelevant. Blizzard is the creator and not Mr.Fylnn. Mr. Jackson also did face some fallout from the claims even though he was acquitted.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Given the timing, it seems likely the allegations are indeed why they made the change, but that isn't conclusive. And if they did, it was probably the right call. Who knows what'll come out of this next, these things tend to expand. And even if it doesn't, the existing allegations are distasteful at best, just not illegal. I wouldn't want to work with a sleazeball either.

The new guy seems to lack ... soul? heart? I dunno something just seems so dull and deadpan about his reading. Like he's doing it more for the paycheck and not enjoying it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

New actor is fine, but its also just Kael'thas. He has like five lines in wow before shadowlands? Its not like they are replacing someone on the level of metzen or patty mattson.
    No one is going to care about it.

While I don't like it they change something that already has existed a long time and has been good, I looked at the video with comparison a bit and I feel its... acceptable. I didn't listen to all of them, but still... acceptable by the part I did listen.

Replacing the voice actor for this reason seems silly and a waste of resources that could have been used to improve the game.

The new voice sounds fine, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Right, he wasn't an employee that got fired, they just didn't use him for new material. And they didn't make a statement about it, or any kind of a big deal, they just went with someone different. Mountain, meet molehill.
    I'd say scrubbing someone's entire legacy and deleting all bodies of work is pretty substantial. While a very small part of the game, it's not a molehill. They deliberately went out of their way and spent additional resources to ensure that no one playing the game ever hears his art ever again in a Blizzard product.

It's a book burning.
    Last edited by Jonnusthegreat; 2021-04-15 at 12:39 AM.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to go into the circumstances;

I don't know if it's the way the lines are delivered, the original has much more passion, much more of a bite to it. Maybe it's because it's such a long standing character but it doesn't sound right to me.

Who knows, I wasn't a fan of Sylvanas when they changed her over but I think it's decent now. Maybe in time this won't sound so odd to me.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    The new guy seems to lack ... soul? heart? I dunno something just seems so dull and deadpan about his reading. Like he's doing it more for the paycheck and not enjoying it at all.
    Yeah, he sounds so bored and soulless with how he delivers his linkes. I wonder if the new guy is just extremely unxeperianced or something

- - - Updated - - -

I mean *lines oops
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dristereau View Post
    Not going to go into the circumstances;

I don't know if it's the way the lines are delivered, the original has much more passion, much more of a bite to it. Maybe it's because it's such a long standing character but it doesn't sound right to me.

Who knows, I wasn't a fan of Sylvanas when they changed her over but I think it's decent now. Maybe in time this won't sound so odd to me.
    the new actor sounds entirely generic and has little to no vocal impetus that makes him distinct.

If I heard those same lines without any context I would have to assume its from another Fantasy franchise or a parody of Warcraft. Its a barren recreation of Flynn's work.

Putting aside the campiness of the dialogue, just listen to Flynn's death monologue in Magister's Terrace and compare it to the new one, its a night and day difference in performance quality.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

We don't know if this has anything to do with the assault claims. It's entirely possible they were re-recorded for more innocuous reasons and the controversy is an unfortunate coincidence.