Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,696

    New Process "Secure System"

    Since the last Windows update KB5001330 on Tuesday I see another permanent process in Task Manager called "Secure System" with a generic icon using 38.2 MB. Yet more bloat, when will it end?

    April 13, 2021—KB5001330 (OS Builds 19041.928 and 19042.928)
    Highlights
    • Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
    • Updates to improve security when using input devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or pen.

    In Process Explorer "Secure System" is marked as suspended, you can't resume it and you can't kill it.

    Seems to be launched with the file ntoskrnl.exe which was created or modified during Tuesday's update and found inside System32.

    Trying to find if it's linked to a service I can disable but haven't found one and there's currently no info out there.

  2. #2
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,056
    I've uninstalled this update on about 8 systems yesterday, as it disables DNS Client service, as well as SMB1. This is a huge issue for businesses that use old-ass software (Dental and medical clinics, accounting officers, etc).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral Viikkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,029
    Linux looking better each day. And the gaming side there is a lot better than it used to be.

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk lockblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    wisconsin .. I mean greymane
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Linux looking better each day. And the gaming side there is a lot better than it used to be.
    Yes because Linux distros never have any bloatware and never deprecate + remove insecure services. /sarcasm

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Viikkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Yes because Linux distros never have any bloatware and never deprecate + remove insecure services. /sarcasm
    True though thats the beauty of it. You get to choose a distro to your liking.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Linux looking better each day. And the gaming side there is a lot better than it used to be.
    Yes, because people will switch from Windows to Linux and not macOS. Linux also looked sexy during Windows Vista and Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 days, yet still a rounding error in market share. gtfo with your tired $CURRENT_YEAR + 1 will be linux desktop year memes...
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  7. #7
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    14,083
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Yes, because people will switch from Windows to Linux and not macOS. Linux also looked sexy during Windows Vista and Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 days, yet still a rounding error in market share. gtfo with your tired $CURRENT_YEAR + 1 will be linux desktop year memes...
    It's more likely since you can just install Linux on your current machine at no cost rather than have to buy a new machine at great cost for macOS.

    If I want to swap to Linux, it'll cost me like, an hour at most.
    If I want to swap to MacOS, it'll cost me like 40k USD to get a machine roughly as powerful as mine, and several hours of travel time and setup time. Oh, and I still have my old machine around and now useless if I no longer plan on using windows.

  8. #8
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's more likely since you can just install Linux on your current machine at no cost rather than have to buy a new machine at great cost for macOS.

    If I want to swap to Linux, it'll cost me like, an hour at most.
    Honestly though... If you know enough to use Linux of some form, you're either A) Already using it, or B) Not using it because it lacks something.

    Nobody really 'switches' from Windows to Linux. They already have it and just weighed options. In my 20+ years of shop, field, and business services, I have had two people switch to Linux. One of them comes in once every 2-3 months to have his system totally wiped and reinstalled because it doesn't work (his fault, not linux's). The other eventually went to macOS.

    I'm not saying people don't do it, it's just rare, and usually someone who already knows what they're doing.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral Viikkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Yes, because people will switch from Windows to Linux and not macOS. Linux also looked sexy during Windows Vista and Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 days, yet still a rounding error in market share. gtfo with your tired $CURRENT_YEAR + 1 will be linux desktop year memes...
    Why you so mad? I don't believe Linux will ever beat Windows in marketshare. So no idea what your linux desktop year meme even means... besides isn't it good for people to have options?

    And sure some people can switch to macOS but it is tied to Apple hardware unless you go hackintosh which is too complicated for average users and gaming ain't the strength for a mac anyways.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Honestly though... If you know enough to use Linux of some form, you're either A) Already using it, or B) Not using it because it lacks something.

    Nobody really 'switches' from Windows to Linux. They already have it and just weighed options. In my 20+ years of shop, field, and business services, I have had two people switch to Linux. One of them comes in once every 2-3 months to have his system totally wiped and reinstalled because it doesn't work (his fault, not linux's). The other eventually went to macOS.

    I'm not saying people don't do it, it's just rare, and usually someone who already knows what they're doing.
    The problem is lack of education in school. I don't know any school that teaches, not even about Linux but that there is a choice other than Windows or even Mac's. This results in kids being literally programmed to use Microsoft ecosystem which is ethically wrong.
    I agree that some people are very militant about Linux but same can be said about Windows and Mac, AMD and Intel and nVidia.
    Anyway, educate people on the choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Why you so mad? I don't believe Linux will ever beat Windows in marketshare. So no idea what your linux desktop year meme even means... besides isn't it good for people to have options?

    And sure some people can switch to macOS but it is tied to Apple hardware unless you go hackintosh which is too complicated for average users and gaming ain't the strength for a mac anyways.
    Do you even use Linux? For how long?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  12. #12
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    This results in kids being literally programmed to use Microsoft ecosystem which is ethically wrong.
    Yet when I was at school, we were all taught on Macs. The Windows machines were all for business education.

  13. #13
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    The problem is lack of education in school. I don't know any school that teaches, not even about Linux but that there is a choice other than Windows or even Mac's.
    That's because there isn't a choice other than Macs or Windows. When you go out into the world.. You will be using macs and windows. Sure, there are places for linux, very specific places, and they have uses... But 90% of the population uses Mac/Windows. They can't teach for a tiny group of people who will just go into that anyway in college/aftercate people on the choice.[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Yet when I was at school, we were all taught on Macs. The Windows machines were all for business education.
    Yup, everything was Mac for me in high school. But that's just because schools got HUGE discounts to get imacs in their classrooms.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's because there isn't a choice other than Macs or Windows. When you go out into the world.. You will be using macs and windows. Sure, there are places for linux, very specific places, and they have uses... But 90% of the population uses Mac/Windows. They can't teach for a tiny group of people who will just go into that anyway in college/aftercate people on the choice.


    Yup, everything was Mac for me in high school. But that's just because schools got HUGE discounts to get imacs in their classrooms.
    And the people who end up using Linux learn it in college typically. It’s hilarious seeing kids with no real experience using a terminal learning to do so.

  15. #15
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yup, everything was Mac for me in high school. But that's just because schools got HUGE discounts to get imacs in their classrooms.
    Wasn't even imacs for us. It was Mac Classics.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's because there isn't a choice other than Macs or Windows. When you go out into the world.. You will be using macs and windows. Sure, there are places for linux, very specific places, and they have uses... But 90% of the population uses Mac/Windows. They can't teach for a tiny group of people who will just go into that anyway in college/aftercate people on the choice.

    Yup, everything was Mac for me in high school. But that's just because schools got HUGE discounts to get imacs in their classrooms.[/QUOTE]

    I'm not familiar with American schools but in UK it's Windows and they too either get massive discounts or get donated PC's. It's a vicious circle when corporations are literally locking people into their ecosystem from kindergarten, like I said it's morally wrong and I am honestly surprised the left hasn't jumped on the issue at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Linux looking better each day. And the gaming side there is a lot better than it used to be.
    I switched to Arch like 2 years ago, best decision I ever made, works like a champ since then and every game works perfect sometimes even better, the only games that don't work are the ones with the Kernel level anti-cheat stuff.

  18. #18
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,056
    Just an update, I believe this patch has been replaced by another that fixes (or rather undoes the broken part)
    KB5001330 is replaced by KB5001391

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...?q=(KB5001391)

    Installing this on systems with 1330 will replace it with 1391 and fix network shares.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    The problem is lack of education in school. I don't know any school that teaches, not even about Linux but that there is a choice other than Windows or even Mac's. This results in kids being literally programmed to use Microsoft ecosystem which is ethically wrong.
    I agree that some people are very militant about Linux but same can be said about Windows and Mac, AMD and Intel and nVidia.
    Anyway, educate people on the choice.
    That's the exact reason products are cheaper/free for schools/students. Gotto get em used to your stuff young.

    Good luck getting linux to compete with the education/marketing budgets of microsoft and apple. most marketing to children laws will look the other way when it comes to sponsoring education.

    though to be fair, if enough governments swap to open source software, it might actually be possible down the line in a decade of two. But i doubt that trend will last long enough.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-05-08 at 10:49 PM.

  20. #20
    Dunno. I guess, I'll never switch to Win10. Because I hate whole concept of OS-service. It's my computer. I just need intermediate layer between my hardware and programs I run. I don't need any extra mandatory "services", that are pushed on me, as they are included as integral part of OS. What if I don't need them? What if I want to use other services? They sit in my computer and collect some data even if I don't use them. In current reality choosing services means using another OS and sometimes even another hardware. And it smells like monopoly. Why in the past MS were fined for mandatory IE and now it's ok for everybody to have pre-installed services? I don't understand.

    When time will come, I'll better switch to Linux Mint. If it won't become as commercial, as Ubuntu is. Then I'll switch to Debian, but it obviously has lower quality. First I played a lot with Linux on live flash devices. Then I installed it on virtual machine with hardware acceleration. And then that day come, when I needed to install it on real computer. Overall, I like it. But there are many problems.

    What can I say? Despite of all efforts it's still not friendly enough. It's "server OS" legacy still affects it. What do I mean? I mean, that on Windows all programs were targeted on newbie users, so everything was designed to have maximally ergonomic design. Yeah, Linux also has GUI analogs for many purposes. But if you have any problems, you just can't avoid terminal and scripting. Because such concepts were good for remote administration and automation, that is more suitable for servers. It's good for you, if you have DOS experience. But what if you don't? Simple example. Remote desktop server. On Windows it's about clicking on install file and setting some obvious options. On Linux it's about two days of f**king with ton of command line parameters for RDP daemon to make it finally work.

    Another big problems with migration to Linux:

    1) Lack of drivers for some specific hardware. Mostly printers. Concept of solid kernel brings us back to old days, when we didn't have vendor-specific drivers and had to rely on standard ones.
    2) Some software isn't compatible with Windows one. Biggest offender - is Office. Everything in Internent has MS Office format. It's shown correctly in free Office software in very basic cases.
    3) So called LTS support. It means security updates only. No software updates till next version release. Sometimes it's good. Because we all hate that "updates just for the sake of updates" Windows crap. Or even braking functionality and bringing undesired features, like ads and telemetry. But sometimes new version of software means new features, you want to use. And such updates are delayed on Linux.
    4) Dunno. Different philosophy. Everything being open source makes "solid" software more appealing. It contrasts with Windows, where everything is modular.

    Games are separate topic. Some games have native Linux support. Some games run on Wine. But overall there more problems with them, than on Linux.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •