Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Sales taxes are bad because they effect the lower classes worse since a larger share of their income is used on expenses. At least income taxes are bracketed. Sales tax doesn't care how little you earn. Everyone pays it. That is why I consider sales tax that high as theft. It just increases the cost of all goods.
    Not that I disagree with what you just said, but here that is less of an issue as we spend a lot of resources to help elevate these people and make sure they have everything they need throughout life and it has worked out well for us as mainly focusing on lowering taxes in comparison has largely shown to be less beneficial as people often make bad financial decisions.

But now that the wast majority of transactions(at least here) are done electronically I'd like to see flat taxes like the sale tax be adjusted depending on income, but I don't think there is much interest in such ideas yet, at least I can't remember ever hearing any officials talking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

25% tax for living in a country where I don't have to choose between bankruptcy from injury/sickness or dying? Happy to pay. I live at the lower end of the societal ladder income-wise, yet I can afford to put away 300 euro every month and still eat well, live in high standard housing and see my doctor on the regular.

Worth. The. Taxes.

- - - Updated - - -

To me it just looks like it hurts the middle class to have such high sales taxes.
    If I can afford the stuff, so can they, just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Wow, only 6,23% tax on video games? Here in Sweden we have 25% on video games...
    I guess that explains why games are more expensive here.
    But, the minimum wage in the US is much less.

7.25$ an hour. 8 hours work day 58$.
    Netherlands it's 77€.
    Will see if i can find sweden. Couldn't find a daily amount, but from monthly minimum average seems to be around 100€.

Aka no point feeling jealous of the Americans. They still live terribly, get exploited and have few benefits. But, hey... heaven for a rich person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    21% here in the netherlands.
    but it's included in the price, not ""handled after"", so that 60$ game is probably a 60 euro game :P
    Yeah more like 69.99€ nowadays. 74.99€ for new gen.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-04-16 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I wouldn't bother trying to argue with them, they are blind to how it can be better than what they are used to. Finland has 22% VAT and I do believe it was classified as the happiest country in the world.

21% here and I personally have a low income. Last time I wanted to go study at University, it cost 220 euros / year, but that was completely covered by the government grant I was issued because of my low income.

Last time I was in hospital for a colonoscopy (intestinal cancer runs in the family so I'm checked every 5 years), my bill came to ~25 euros.

I can't imagine living in a place where you have to fork out thousands for education or routine healthcare.
    $1,800 Cyst removal surgery followed by $4,000 ER/hospital stay for a blood clot the next year (insurance covered the rest of the $15,000 bill), followed by a job loss (company dissolved) and and a choice of $450/m for the prescription the Dr wanted me to take or $450/m to keep my insurance plan for the rest of the year.

In about 6 months I went from finally starting to have some savings to almost $18,000 credit debt...took me three years to climb out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i guess its a miracle that the rest of the first world somehow has survived outside of usa!!! with less crime....higher education levels....much higher happiness index....safety etc etc....hmmm maybe...just maybe....it works

- - - Updated - - -

bullshit with your doctor stuff,there is no way you wait half a year to have an issue like that taken care of,your just boldface lying now,i have been to the doctor plenty of times to have issues checked out and i never had to wait more than a few days for an appointment,the only time you have to wait longer for stuff is when there literaly is some kind of supply issue like organ transplants

and your education argument is pure bullshit,so what if people with masters go working in a grocery store?thats a completly different issue,they didnt go bankrupt getting that education,or if they had a serious illness

in usa 200.000 people die every year from preventable issues

when you dont die from preventable issues,go bankrupts for an education or medical issue,and get so many benefits by just being smart with where your taxes go...is is free,in usa it would literaly be free if they just cut police or military budget by an insignificant ammount
    why would i lie ? like sorry to burst your bubble, but if you want "free" stuff you gotta pay for it in one form or another aka nothing is free,

also some treatment's arent covered/offered either, some has to go to Russia, Poland, Turkey and USA to get the right treatment, and the government doesn't give you a dime for it nor a tax cut....

its very bad to have people with a high education working in a grocery store as an example, its pretty simple and logical, they dont work with the stuff they took an education in, and when you dont work with that stuff you will be undesired and also forget stuff over time

who would you hire? a guy with a master, but worked in a completely different field for 5-7 years or someone whos fresh from school and up to date with the field ?

and as i said, i see the benefits of having a government funded health care, but its not free!

Canada doesn't show the tax on prices which annoys me to no end. Here the federal takes a 5% and the rest is up to your province; in Québec the sales tax is about 10% so a total of roughly 15% sales tax. Rounding that up on every good is just a waste of everyone's time and I dearly wish that someday we can as smart as Europeans and roll taxes in the price.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageadon View Post
    why would i lie ? like sorry to burst your bubble, but if you want "free" stuff you gotta pay for it in one form or another aka nothing is free,

also some treatment's arent covered/offered either, some has to go to Russia, Poland, Turkey and USA to get the right treatment, and the government doesn't give you a dime for it nor a tax cut....

its very bad to have people with a high education working in a grocery store as an example, its pretty simple and logical, they dont work with the stuff they took an education in, and when you dont work with that stuff you will be undesired and also forget stuff over time

who would you hire? a guy with a master, but worked in a completely different field for 5-7 years or someone whos fresh from school and up to date with the field ?

and as i said, i see the benefits of having a government funded health care, but its not free!
    dude...you pay taxes anyways,in some places like usa those taxes go to stuff that more often than not HARM the welfare of the population,prisons,police,military,other places prefer to use those taxes for healthcare and education...it IS FREE in that regard,and again...yes its bad if a highily educated person works at kfc,but how the fuck does that speak ill on a system that gave him that education?is it better to go in debth half your life and work just to pay it off?

A 25% sales tax? That is literally theft. People keep talking about how great Scandinavian countries are, yet they pay 25% sales tax on video games? Lol.
    Difference is Scandi countries have much better social programs than the US. Police funding being a great example lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    25% tax for living in a country where I don't have to choose between bankruptcy from injury/sickness or dying? Happy to pay. I live at the lower end of the societal ladder income-wise, yet I can afford to put away 300 euro every month and still eat well, live in high standard housing and see my doctor on the regular.

Worth. The. Taxes.

- - - Updated - - -

If I can afford the stuff, so can they, just fine.
    Lmao this. People defending the American way of life are either stupid or triggered. It's quite sad actually. But hey, you can always set up an GoFundMe when you need pay your hospital bill.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

A 25% sales tax? That is literally theft. People keep talking about how great Scandinavian countries are, yet they pay 25% sales tax on video games? Lol.
    It's literally not because taxes aren't theft. Grow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nifty part about Alaska is we don't have a sales tax (at least where I am, guess I can't be sure about the rest of the state). So we have to deal with places not wanting to ship to us, but at least the listed price is the actual price.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    It's literally not because taxes aren't theft. Grow up.
    Our country was founded on not wanting to pay taxes to Britain. It's in our blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all very relative - high taxes mount over time. 25% VAT is pretty damn high and what I pay locally as VAT - 18% is also pretty damn high. Not only I get around 35% of my salary wiped out before it even lands in my bank account, I get to pay 18% of everything remaining when purchasing just about everything and then they piggyback further taxes on top of that whether it's car costs, license, gas - you name it.

Effectively 50% of my salary goes to the state just from that even before anything else. It's not just slightly more taxes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here in the USA a sales tax is a combination of state, county, and local/city taxes combined. Where I live in Fresno the total sales tax is 7.925% (that's 7.250% from the state sales tax + 0.725% for Fresno County's sales tax + 0% added for the city of Fresno's sales tax). Down where my grandma lives in Visalia the total sales tax is 8.500% (7.250% state sales tax + 0.500% for Tulare County's sale tax + 0.750% for the city of Visalia's sales tax). Beverly Hills is 9.500% (7.250% state + 2.250% LA county sales tax + 0 City sales tax). Apparently Santa Fe Spring is the highest taxed city in California at 10.500% (7.250% state + 2.250% for LA county + 1.000% Santa Fe Springs city sales tax).

They also get "free" healthcare like most of the European countries which is how their healthcare system is funded. Quite frankly if the US imposed a national sales tax or raised income taxes we could fund a healthcare/Medicare for all that many Democrats like Bernie Sanders have thrown support for for a long time. It would reduce medical costs people have for out-of-pocket, increase overall health because people would be able to get preventative care more frequently to prevent disease and illnesses, and lower drug costs but Republicans stop any progress of this happening. Sad that we're the only industrialized country in the world that DOESN'T offer some type of national health coverage still.

- - - Updated - - -

Our country was founded on not wanting to pay taxes to Britain. It's in our blood.
    Actually the country was founded because of taxation without representation not that we didn't want to pay taxes. The colonies paid to fund French and Indian War & Seven Years' War. After England was in massive debt over those wars they imposed the Stamp Act & Townshend Acts & then the final nail in the coffin was Intolerable Acts after the Boston Massacre & Boston Tea Party. We wanted a say in how shit ran and to be represented in when those decisions were being made. The founding fathers were ok with taxes just not taxing people who had no say in shit.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2021-04-17 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Lmao this. People defending the American way of life are either stupid or triggered. It's quite sad actually. But hey, you can always set up an GoFundMe when you need pay your hospital bill.
    You act like everyone who gets sick ends up with a huge bill that cripples them. That's not the case. In addition, our more achieving members get to enjoy vastly more luxury here than they could get somewhere else. More cars, bigger houses, more material goods, more luxurious frivolous stuff, etc. I can afford a bigger better computer and to replace it more often, more computer games a year, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    You act like everyone who gets sick ends up with a huge bill that cripples them. That's not the case. In addition, our more achieving members get to enjoy vastly more luxury here than they could get somewhere else. More cars, bigger houses, more material goods, more luxurious frivolous stuff, etc. I can afford a bigger better computer and to replace it more often, more computer games a year, etc.
    8/10, pretty good trolling tbh, you laid it on a bit thick with the material stuff though, it gave you away.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

My province in Canada brings the price from $79.99 to $90.39

Yea, our money is actual monopoly money at this point.

7+ Year Old Account
    Argentina has a 30% tax on digital services
    And then another 30% if the operation is made in USD

Saquenme de latinoamerica
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    They also get "free" healthcare like most of the European countries which is how their healthcare system is funded.
    "Free" healthcare is a tax of its own of about 7% of your salary on top of VAT and income tax. We also pay a separate social security tax on top of it all.

What is this thread? Why ask a question that can easily be googled in less than 3 seconds? Is it because the OP didn't actually want to ask about taxes on video games and instead for some reason wanted to get people to talk about how much better European social economic programs are than America's? EU > NA, amirite boys?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Wow, only 6,23% tax on video games? Here in Sweden we have 25% on video games...
    We don't have taxes on video games, specifically, we have taxes on retail products.

- - - Updated - - -

Complaining about tax on a single category without considering the taxes on other categories is incredibly short-sighted.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu