Thinking about getting this, good idea?

This one here.

So long story short, I attempted a computer upgrade with my old Dell XPS 8700 a while back and botched it up good. Ended up buying a video card that didn't work, tried all sorts of things and it just wouldn't stop restarting. With the help of some folks we narrowed it down to a motherboard issue and with my very limited computer knowledge I have no real idea how to fix that. With the $1400 stimulus we got recently I'm now weighing my options and I'm thinking it might be just plain better to get a new computer. A friend of my sister sent me the above link and it looks seriously tempting, to just get something as a one-shot thing and finally be done with this ordeal. But I wanted to ask around and get some thoughts from others. Is this a good deal for something to play WoW and other more modern games at a decent level?

10+ Year Old Account
    It has single channel RAM (1 stick of 8GB) and Ryzen likes fast memory so at somepoint you'd probably want to upgrade the RAM on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    This one here.

So long story short, I attempted a computer upgrade with my old Dell XPS 8700 a while back and botched it up good. Ended up buying a video card that didn't work, tried all sorts of things and it just wouldn't stop restarting. With the help of some folks we narrowed it down to a motherboard issue and with my very limited computer knowledge I have no real idea how to fix that. With the $1400 stimulus we got recently I'm now weighing my options and I'm thinking it might be just plain better to get a new computer. A friend of my sister sent me the above link and it looks seriously tempting, to just get something as a one-shot thing and finally be done with this ordeal. But I wanted to ask around and get some thoughts from others. Is this a good deal for something to play WoW and other more modern games at a decent level?
    Modern games at decent level? No.

WoW at a very appropriate level? Yes.

Now the important questions.

1)What are the decent games?

2)What GPU did you buy that your old dell couldnt handle? Whats the model?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pc-gami...ce%20skuidsaas

These are the PCs you should be looking at for "Something decent for the next few years".

To give you a general world of advice, for something that will not have a problem with any game up to like 2024, you are looking to get , 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, minimum 3.200Mhz, with 3060 and up, and 6700 and up on the AMD side.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-04-16 at 10:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    It has single channel RAM (1 stick of 8GB) and Ryzen likes fast memory so at somepoint you'd probably want to upgrade the RAM on that.
    I don't see anywhere on the site it says 1x8, so it's possible it has 2x4, for some reason..

That said, yeah, more faster ram would be a good idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I don't see anywhere on the site it says 1x8, so it's possible it has 2x4, for some reason..

That said, yeah, more faster ram would be a good idea
    It says Number of Memory Sticks Included 1 in the specifications under memory.

I wouldn't be able to take some of the RAM out of my current computer and put it in there? Honest question, I really know next to nothing about this sort of thing. It's why I botched the upgrade to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Modern games at decent level? No.

WoW at a very appropriate level? Yes.
    Understood, thank you.

Now the important questions.

1)What are the decent games?

2)What GPU did you buy that your old dell couldnt handle? Whats the model?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pc-gami...ce%20skuidsaas

These are the PCs you should be looking at for "Something decent for the next few years".

To give you a general world of advice, for something that will not have a problem with any game up to like 2024, you are looking to get , 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, minimum 3.200Mhz, with 3060 and up, and 6700 and up on the AMD side.
    1. Would just be cool to look at the games coming out today and think "this won't be beyond me". I was interested in Cyberpunk 2077 for a while as a start.

2. GeForce GTX SUPER 1660. I asked about it on the Blizzard forums a while back when we got the first stimulus and that was what was suggested to me. I bought it and my computer ran fine for a day, and then afterward it would restart on its own 5 minutes after opening literally anything that wasn't just Google Chrome or Youtube.

Thank you for the other suggestions. Those prices sting a bit more but they are at least below the 1400 limit. They might well be possible.
    Last edited by Tadkins; 2021-04-16 at 10:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It says Number of Memory Sticks Included 1 in the specifications under memory.
    Ah, okay, I missed that the first time.
    I really don't like their site

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be able to take some of the RAM out of my current computer and put it in there? Honest question, I really know next to nothing about this sort of thing. It's why I botched the upgrade to begin with.
    Probably not. I think the Dell 8700 is running an Intel 4000 series CPU? They use the older DDR3 standard, which isn't compatible with modern CPUs

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Probably not. I think the Dell 8700 is running an Intel 4000 series CPU? They use the older DDR3 standard, which isn't compatible with modern CPUs
    Rog that. It does seem like just getting a brand new comp is going to be the way to go.

1. Would just be cool to look at the games coming out today and think "this won't be beyond me". I was interested in Cyberpunk 2077 for a while as a start.

2. GeForce GTX SUPER 1660. I asked about it on the Blizzard forums a while back when we got the first stimulus and that was what was suggested to me. I bought it and my computer ran fine for a day, and then afterward it would restart on its own 5 minutes after opening literally anything that wasn't just Google Chrome or Youtube.
    I am not saying buy specifically that, just giving you a general guideline, overall those prices are within "acceptable" levels for 2021.

Now on the Modern games, there is basically a thing where most Modern games are not coded correctly, therefor they dont perform as well as they should, this is countered by having a decent enough PC, if you get my point.

1660 Super is a good card, for 1080p, but its still on the weaker side of things its good for people that want to play last gen games or long term games at a high level, like WoW, hence why i am suggesting if you are gonna throw money, throw them properly.

As example for Cyberpunk, a 1660 Super scales around 40-60 FPS barely, on Medium-High settings, and around 60-80 with a 8core apparently, decent enough but you get my point how the card is on the weaker side. (I think this is with DLSS, so its actual performance is much lower).

If your gaming is gonna be 90% WoW and 10% something else, 1660 Super is a great choice yes, if its gonna be any other percentage, i would suggest forking out the cash and getting at least minimum a 8core/3060 to last you a good 3 years of High-Ultra assuming you stay on 1080p.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-04-16 at 10:48 AM.

I am not saying buy specifically that, just giving you a general guideline, overall those prices are within "acceptable" levels for 2021.

Now on the Modern games, there is basically a thing where most Modern games are not coded correctly, therefor they dont perform as well as they should, this is countered by having a decent enough PC, if you get my point.

1660 Super is a good card, for 1080p, but its still on the weaker side of things its good for people that want to play last gen games or long term games at a high level, like WoW, hence why i am suggesting if you are gonna throw money, throw them properly.

As example for Cyberpunk, a 1660 Super scales around 40-60 FPS barely, on Medium-High settings, and around 60-80 with a 8core apparently, decent enough but you get my point how the card is on the weaker side. (I think this is with DLSS, so its actual performance is much lower).

If your gaming is gonna be 90% WoW and 10% something else, 1660 Super is a great choice yes, if its gonna be any other percentage, i would suggest forking out the cash and getting at least minimum a 8core/3060 to last you a good 3 years of High-Ultra assuming you stay on 1080p.
    Fair enough. Yup I'm just doing my best to be very, very, very cautious with where my money goes this time around. The GPU buy I made left me in a far worse position than before and that was $230 down the drain.

For the most part I'm just looking to try to get the most out of the $1400 I have available. I am open to getting something that will last as long as possible of course. Though I probably will likely be playing WoW more than anything on it, that is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with Potis. With 1080p 1660 Super minimum and 3060 for more "future proofing".