Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    There's also some shit in that spiel about 'Returning to an Architectural Style that befits the progeny of European Architecture' and I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean?

    Maybe I'm not white enough to get this shit (I say as the descendant of German and English Immigrants).
    It's literally white supremacist revisionist horseshit. The whole image of gleaming alabaster-white buildings and statues of Ancient Greece and Rome, all that white everywhere. Which was pretty explicitly adopted by the USA on its creation; just look at the major buildings and memorials in DC, like the Capitol Building or the Lincoln Memorial.

    Because, y'see, the problem is that Ancient Greece and Rome were never gleaming pure beacons of white architecture and sculpture. It's literally a false viewpoint, used to suppress the riotously colored truth; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ical-sculpture
    https://www.romaexperience.com/rome-...-ancient-rome/

    All that architecture and sculpture was painted.

  2. #22
    Pit Lord D Luniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I know others have said it before, but I'm always so confused that these people call themselves "America first" or "patriots" with phrases like "freedom" while their whole plan is to destroy the constitution, overthrow the government the people elected, and strip people of their rights.

    It's so bizarre that whenever you hear organizations with those buzz words in the name they are usually linked to extremism and terrorism.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.-Samuel Johnson
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

  3. #23
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's literally white supremacist revisionist horseshit. The whole image of gleaming alabaster-white buildings and statues of Ancient Greece and Rome, all that white everywhere. Which was pretty explicitly adopted by the USA on its creation; just look at the major buildings and memorials in DC, like the Capitol Building or the Lincoln Memorial.

    Because, y'see, the problem is that Ancient Greece and Rome were never gleaming pure beacons of white architecture and sculpture. It's literally a false viewpoint, used to suppress the riotously colored truth; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ical-sculpture
    https://www.romaexperience.com/rome-...-ancient-rome/

    All that architecture and sculpture was painted.
    I await the debates on what colors all of these should be painted as it gridlocks Congress into a standstill.

    I can see people lining up from miles around to run against Greene next election.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's literally white supremacist revisionist horseshit. The whole image of gleaming alabaster-white buildings and statues of Ancient Greece and Rome, all that white everywhere. Which was pretty explicitly adopted by the USA on its creation; just look at the major buildings and memorials in DC, like the Capitol Building or the Lincoln Memorial.

    Because, y'see, the problem is that Ancient Greece and Rome were never gleaming pure beacons of white architecture and sculpture. It's literally a false viewpoint, used to suppress the riotously colored truth; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ical-sculpture
    https://www.romaexperience.com/rome-...-ancient-rome/

    All that architecture and sculpture was painted.
    Oh wow. I had no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Oh wow. I had no idea.
    Greeks and the Romans loved bright vivid colors,they painted pretty much everything they could.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Why not drop the pretext and just go full Nazi. I mean they replaced the dog whistle with a fog horn when Trump got elected so why not just strap on the swastika armbands. Also what a trifecta of Republican starters to get this caucus going the female version of Steve King with her wild racist remarks, piece of shit Paul Gosar, and Sex Trafficking pedophile Matt Gaetz.
    The saxon side is a bit more modern, open and effective than the anglo one these days ...

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's literally white supremacist revisionist horseshit. The whole image of gleaming alabaster-white buildings and statues of Ancient Greece and Rome, all that white everywhere. Which was pretty explicitly adopted by the USA on its creation; just look at the major buildings and memorials in DC, like the Capitol Building or the Lincoln Memorial.

    Because, y'see, the problem is that Ancient Greece and Rome were never gleaming pure beacons of white architecture and sculpture.
    That doesn't make sense in this context.

    They explicitly write: "As the Romans demonstrated with aqueducts, walls and roads, function and beauty are not at odds. Federally funded infrastructure, including roads, buildings, airports, seaports, bridges, should demonstrate a pride of workmanship. A bridge is not merely something to cross from side A to side B, it is a connection among peoples."

    Roman aqueducts, walls, and roads are not generally seen as white (aqueducts and walls are now more sand-colored), and I doubt that they generally went to the trouble of painting them either. (Note: There are impressive wall paintings in Rome; but that seems to be the interior walls of homes.) As for aesthetics the aqueducts and walls (especially the gates) are sort ok, but not that spectacular; and many modern bridges already have similar arches due to similar constraints. The road networks were impressive - but aesthetics of the roads themselves???

    So, that explanation makes no sense - and I don't know what they intended. It would have made more sense if they had stated they wanted infrastructure like the Nazi architecture that focused on function - while being awe-inspiring in size (that would fit in some way); now it seems almost as though they want the workman-worship from Stalin's USSR.

  8. #28
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Greeks and the Romans loved bright vivid colors,they painted pretty much everything they could.
    Well they looked garish as all hell, so I’m not personally offended by monuments not being painted bright red, blue and yellow.

    But I’m fairly certain the “architectural return” point she’s peddling is supposed to follow in the direct footsteps of Nazi germany’s love of self-aggrandizing architecture in the form of Classical revival to try and paint themselves as the direct descendants of Rome and the just and rightful heirs of some noble dynasty. Same with these white supremacist fucks.

    They have no personal accomplishments in their lives worth noting, so they feel they should be given legitimacy by something that came before them that they had no involvement in such that people need to show them respect they haven’t otherwise earned.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-04-17 at 05:39 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  9. #29
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's literally white supremacist revisionist horseshit. The whole image of gleaming alabaster-white buildings and statues of Ancient Greece and Rome, all that white everywhere. Which was pretty explicitly adopted by the USA on its creation; just look at the major buildings and memorials in DC, like the Capitol Building or the Lincoln Memorial.

    Because, y'see, the problem is that Ancient Greece and Rome were never gleaming pure beacons of white architecture and sculpture. It's literally a false viewpoint, used to suppress the riotously colored truth; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ical-sculpture
    https://www.romaexperience.com/rome-...-ancient-rome/

    All that architecture and sculpture was painted.
    Ya a lot of people (nazis and even so called sjws) fail to realize Rome had plenty of black leadership they even had an African who was emperor for awhile.

  10. #30
    Man, it'd be nice if any of them realized that they literally paved the way for this kinda nuttery. But oh well, at least it's amusing to see the crazy wing of the GOP get out-crazied by the nu-crazy wing of the Republican party.

    Green and her ilk, the Nickleback of the House.

  11. #31
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That doesn't make sense in this context.

    They explicitly write: "As the Romans demonstrated with aqueducts, walls and roads, function and beauty are not at odds. Federally funded infrastructure, including roads, buildings, airports, seaports, bridges, should demonstrate a pride of workmanship. A bridge is not merely something to cross from side A to side B, it is a connection among peoples."

    Roman aqueducts, walls, and roads are not generally seen as white (aqueducts and walls are now more sand-colored), and I doubt that they generally went to the trouble of painting them either. (Note: There are impressive wall paintings in Rome; but that seems to be the interior walls of homes.) As for aesthetics the aqueducts and walls (especially the gates) are sort ok, but not that spectacular; and many modern bridges already have similar arches due to similar constraints. The road networks were impressive - but aesthetics of the roads themselves???

    So, that explanation makes no sense - and I don't know what they intended. It would have made more sense if they had stated they wanted infrastructure like the Nazi architecture that focused on function - while being awe-inspiring in size (that would fit in some way); now it seems almost as though they want the workman-worship from Stalin's USSR.
    As others pointed out, hearkening back to the legacy of Rome is such classic white supremacism that the Nazis made use of it themselves. It's a fiction that white supremacists sell each other on, an appeal to a past that never was, and ignoring the reality of the true past; that Rome, in particular, was heavily multicultural and multiethnic and really did not give any shits about anyone's skin color.

    There's also an inherent dismissal of the architecture of non-European societies, which in many ways was as impressive or more impressive than what was going on in Europe. People forget that Tenochitlan at the time of European contact was as big as the largest European cities, and significantly bigger than most, for instance. The eurocentrism is just bullshit.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Ya a lot of people (nazis and even so called sjws) fail to realize Rome had plenty of black leadership they even had an African who was emperor for awhile.
    There are many who try to shoehorn Rome into current race ideas.

    Being born in Africa doesn't make you black; Rome was a Mediterranean power - so Africa primarily meant Libya, Egypt, Tunis - whereas people from sub-Saharan African were rarer.

    The most obvious African-born emperor, Septimius Severus, had mixed ancestry - but primarily Roman and middle-eastern ancestry, and was almost certainly not black - (and not "white" either) since the black color of another man was seen as an omen for his death.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I know others have said it before, but I'm always so confused that these people call themselves "America first" or "patriots" with phrases like "freedom" while their whole plan is to destroy the constitution, overthrow the government the people elected, and strip people of their rights.

    It's so bizarre that whenever you hear organizations with those buzz words in the name they are usually linked to extremism and terrorism.
    It's annoying because crazies just keep "taking" stuff, and the rest of us have to pretend like it's all taboo and radioactive once they do.

    Don't make an "ok" sign with your hand, or say you're proud of your [majority white nation] heritage, or remark that you're a patriot, or whatever else. Because crazies did those things, so if you do them you're a crazy too!

  14. #34
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    18,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    There's also some shit in that spiel about 'Returning to an Architectural Style that befits the progeny of European Architecture' and I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean?

    Maybe I'm not white enough to get this shit (I say as the descendant of German and English Immigrants).
    I guess it's them still being upset over removal of certain statues. That's the only "logical" thing i can think of as isn't most of the US already build in that European Architecture from things like Bauhaus?
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  15. #35
    Pit Lord D Luniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well they looked garish as all hell, so I’m not personally offended by monuments not being painted bright red, blue and yellow.

    But I’m fairly certain the “architectural return” point she’s peddling is supposed to follow in the direct footsteps of Nazi germany’s love of self-aggrandizing architecture in the form of Classical revival to try and paint themselves as the direct descendants of Rome and the just and rightful heirs of some noble dynasty. Same with these white supremacist fucks.

    They have no personal accomplishments in their lives worth noting, so they feel they should be given legitimacy by something that came before them that they had no involvement in such that people need to show them respect they haven’t otherwise earned.
    but they instantly scream "I wasn't around for that" if you talk about reprarations or the like. with no sense of self-awareness
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As others pointed out, hearkening back to the legacy of Rome is such classic white supremacism that the Nazis made use of it themselves.
    Yes, in buildings, sculptures, mass-scenes, and the bodily ideals. Look at start of the Olympia movie.

    Not aqueducts, walls, and roads that this document lists; so either they got confused or they have some new aqueduct and stone-slab road-fetish that we haven't heard about before.

  17. #37
    Pit Lord D Luniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, it'd be nice if any of them realized that they literally paved the way for this kinda nuttery. But oh well, at least it's amusing to see the crazy wing of the GOP get out-crazied by the nu-crazy wing of the Republican party.

    Green and her ilk, the Nickleback of the House.
    oh, they realize it, its why they fight so hard about a commission to look into the Jan 6th, they try to avoid talking about the things they said in the past. They know they thought they could fold this people in like the Tea Party, and other than a few more Ted Cruz's, things would stay the same. They miscalulated badly. They know they have two parts of the base, the crazy base, and the "I see nothing" base, they stay quiet to give the "I see nothing" base cover, and to avoid pissing off the crazy base, cause those people scare them.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

  18. #38
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,221
    Oh so we're celebrating Anglo-Saxon traditions now are we? I guess the Judeo in Judeo-Christian became too much for ol MTG to handle.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #39
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Yes, in buildings, sculptures, mass-scenes, and the bodily ideals. Look at start of the Olympia movie.
    If they follow suit with this I, for one, look forward to the "it's civilized and proper to have a tiny penis!" claims from these alt-right wackadoos.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  20. #40
    Pit Lord D Luniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If they follow suit with this I, for one, look forward to the "it's civilized and proper to have a tiny penis!" claims from these alt-right wackadoos.
    the average American is overweight, and Im sure people backing that caucus are the main ones that's a drag on that curve, about the only way most of them would meet "the bodily ideals" of any of those statues is when diabetes takes one of their limbs.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •