Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No, Anglo-Saxons didn't yet exist. When the Romans were running Britain (which was then full of Britons and Picts), the Saxons (who certainly were considered barbarians) were still living in Saxony. Available evidence says they didn't begin to significantly migrate to the isles until after the Romans left in 410.
    alright, fair enough. my point is and I suppose others have touched on this is this idea that Romans were "white" the modern interpretation of that word anyway, is comical since the Romans would have more than likely stabbed these peoples ancestors than anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    alright, fair enough. my point is and I suppose others have touched on this is this idea that Romans were "white" the modern interpretation of that word anyway, is comical since the Romans would have more than likely stabbed these peoples ancestors than anything.
    Fun History Facts; the Angles and the Saxons were Germanic tribes, and shared a fair bit of background/culture with other Germanic tribes further East. Those other groups were the ones who the Greeks encountered, and labelled "barbarians". And "barbarian" is an ethnic slur; it's making fun of how (to ancient Greek ears), their language sounded like "bar bar bar" nonsense.

Yep, "barbarian" is as much a racist ethnic slur as if we called Chinese people "Chingchongians".

It's particularly silly seeing the legacy of white supremacism using "barbarian" as a slur against other cultures, when it's a slur that was created to describe their ethnic origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Fun History Facts; the Angles and the Saxons were Germanic tribes, and shared a fair bit of background/culture with other Germanic tribes further East. Those other groups were the ones who the Greeks encountered, and labelled "barbarians". And "barbarian" is an ethnic slur; it's making fun of how (to ancient Greek ears), their language sounded like "bar bar bar" nonsense..
    I did not know that tidbit! good to know!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    The GOP gave up on the teaching of Jesus Christ decades ago.
    Don't they have some strange idea about Christianity with a pretty jacked Jesus and a weird fetish for King David?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    While it is true that the spaniards tried to paint the aztecs in the worst possible light, archaeology suggests that most of their sacrifice reports are actually true.

There is other evidence too, because the aztecs (as newcomers and conquererors) weren't exactly liked by the other peoples living there, so there are other sources for the amount/gruesomeness.
    Part of why the Spanish defeated the Aztecs so quickly (in addition to, you know, guns, armor and disease) was that the Spanish allied themselves with all of the neighboring tribes who absolutely hated the Aztecs who oppressed them.

However I think this cultural superiority thing is nonsense regardless. Every society has demons if you dig deep enough. Hell, most of them you don’t have to dig very deep.

As in like, “pretty much any society from 50+ years ago would be largely unacceptable today.”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Part of why the Spanish defeated the Aztecs so quickly (in addition to, you know, guns, armor and disease) was that the Spanish allied themselves with all of the neighboring tribes who absolutely hated the Aztecs who oppressed them.

However I think this cultural superiority thing is nonsense regardless. Every society has demons if you dig deep enough. Hell, most of them you don’t have to dig very deep.

As in like, “pretty much any society from 50+ years ago would be largely unacceptable today.”
    The norse did human sacrifices to Odin! And so did probably all northern germanic tribes that worshipped those particular dieties before Roman syncrinisation.
    Same as at some temples Zeus got human sacrifices.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Also, don't forget that the accounts about the Aztecs were written primarily by Spanish Priests. Who could have inflated or misrepresented the Aztecs to make them appear more barbaric as well.
    Let's not also forget that for all their uh... Civility... The Romans would ritually strangle prisoners in front of the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus during the Triumphs.

It's basically equivalent to Aztec ritual sacrifices

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Let's not also forget that for all their uh... Civility... The Romans would ritually strangle prisoners in front of the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus during the Triumphs.

Also the whole “empire built on the backs of slaves,” “women were forbidden from engaging in any political spheres,” and “they watched people wholesale kill each other for sport” parts probably don’t hold up well either.

And while these neo-nazi stains might not hate those parts, they would then however disapprove of Rome’s far more favorable views on homosexuality.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    And while these neo-nazi stains might not hate those parts, they would then however disapprove of Rome’s far more favorable views on homosexuality.
    So what he sleeps with men. Everyone does!
    ... Wait? What do you mean he's the one taking it? What is he, the Queen of Bithynia?
    - Lars

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And then she cancels it, because of enormous pushback from the GOP, and denies she even started it in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Fun History Facts; the Angles and the Saxons were Germanic tribes, and shared a fair bit of background/culture with other Germanic tribes further East. Those other groups were the ones who the Greeks encountered, and labelled "barbarians". And "barbarian" is an ethnic slur; it's making fun of how (to ancient Greek ears), their language sounded like "bar bar bar" nonsense.

Yep, "barbarian" is as much a racist ethnic slur as if we called Chinese people "Chingchongians".

It's particularly silly seeing the legacy of white supremacism using "barbarian" as a slur against other cultures, when it's a slur that was created to describe their ethnic origins.
    That is interesting - I love the epistemology of common phrases. Regarding white supremacist usage, well, ignorance is limitless.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And then she cancels it, because of enormous pushback from the GOP, and denies she even started it in the first place.
    Truly, GOP Cancel Culture has gone too far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans race for distance from 'America First Caucus'

That headline is "Why You Need An Editor 101"

GOP leaders, anti-Trump centrists and vulnerable Republicans in battleground districts wasted little time in recent days denouncing the “America First Caucus,” whose stated purpose in a platform document included the defense of America as a nation “strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

While the Republicans reportedly behind the group — including Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Paul Gosar (Ariz.) — appear to have abandoned the project in the face of bipartisan criticism, their very interest has created an enormous headache for Republican leaders seeking to steer the party away from an image of racial insensitivity and appeal to a broader swath of voters, including women and minorities, in the post-Trump era.

The America First Caucus, operational or not, has complicated that unifying message.

“This is a modern, decaf version of the KKK — a group designed to elevate one race and ethnicity by diminishing all others. It should be summarily dismissed and condemned,” former Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.), a Cuban American and supporter of comprehensive immigration reform, told The Hill on Monday.

Asked about the proposed America First agenda, Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.), the chairman of the moderate Republican Governance Group, said in a statement to The Hill: “Our nation was founded upon freedom and equality. As Americans we should always strive to uphold and advance these fundamental values.

“Racism and nativism are antithetical to our core principles and should have no place in our society, let alone the Halls of Congress,” Katko said, adding that he was speaking for himself and not the Governance Group, formerly known as the Tuesday Group.
    Let me make this clear: having an evil project, then abandoning the evil project when people find out it's an evil project, does not forgive you for starting the evil project. Motivation matters. If you only stopped being a Nazi when the English, Russians, or Americans caught up with you and threatened to shoot you otherwise, you were still a Nazi up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    So what he sleeps with men. Everyone does!
    ... Wait? What do you mean he's the one taking it? What is he, the Queen of Bithynia?
    Ha, yep. When gossip got around that Julius Caesar was banging one of his generals, the problem wasn't who he was having sex with but that he was supposedly the bottom.

This is a modern, decaf version of the KKK
    Jesus, seeing a Republican say that almost gives me a glimmer of hope that the far-right sprint the party is on is beginning to tire out some folks who don't have Klan hoods in their office closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Jesus, seeing a Republican say that almost gives me a glimmer of hope that the far-right sprint the party is on is beginning to tire out some folks who don't have Klan hoods in their office closets.
    If only those people would stop to realize that they are the very ones working with and enabling those hood wearing members in their ranks with their policies.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

But at least you got to march in a swanky parade first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    There is really only one documented case in where some Franco-Swiss mercenaries serving under the British Crown wrote in their journals about trying to infect Native Americans during a siege. The issue is that the Natives looted clothes and blankets from a hospital that were infected from patients with smallpox as well. Everything else is debatable.

Also, don't forget that the accounts about the Aztecs were written primarily by Spanish Priests. Who could have inflated or misrepresented the Aztecs to make them appear more barbaric as well.
    I'm just trying to point out that genocide and atrocity is found on both sides of the pond.

As a species, we're universally pretty good at being horrible to each other.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    When even your fellow Republicans are so strongly against what you're trying to push, you'd surely have to stop and maybe take a look at what you're doing. Surely.
    If I believed that Greene had more brains than she appears to, I'd say she was trying to test the waters in how far she could press this stuff. So long as she remains in lock-step with the GOP on everything else, she can push the boundaries in assuming control of Trump's splintering base by dogwhistling to them with bombastic, but ultimately hollow, pushes like this. And the GOP is otherwise too concerned with holding their fracturing party together to do anything but give her an empty wag of the finger. In essence, she retains their support of "normal" GOP followers by merit of simply being a Republican while also being able to go fishing for Trump's fervent base who, without their leader being able to bark orders at them, would likely simply become apapthetic towards politics. A win-win, in essence.

But she's so off the deep end I can't be sure she isn't actually just certifiably crazy and actually believes in all of this garbage.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-04-21 at 05:50 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't be sure she isn't actually just certifiably crazy and actually believes in all of this garbage.
    The fact that she backed away suggests she doesn't.

But, that would mean instead she signed up for this because she thought it would make her more popular. if anything, that's worse. Can you imagine being a cosplay KKK Nazi, not because you believe you're part of the master race, but just to get likes and subscribes from an audience that does?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The fact that she backed away suggests she doesn't.

But, that would mean instead she signed up for this because she thought it would make her more popular. if anything, that's worse. Can you imagine being a cosplay KKK Nazi, not because you believe you're part of the master race, but just to get likes and subscribes from an audience that does?
    That is a very Trumpian move.

I think people ultimately had the wrong idea about Trump. People say he was racist and bigoted and xenophobic so on. I think he said racist things and said bigoted things and said xenophobic things because he knew it would fire up his base that he was "telling it like it was" and piss off the people who didn't like him into talking about him, all to push the brand of "Trump." He had no moral fiber to speak of, not even a racist or bigoted one. Now he very well could be racist and bigoted and xenophobic at heart, but I'd put forth that he had no desire to actually act on those in any real, concerted way. He did it all for the brand recognition and, ultimately, the money.

Which, like you said... could certainly be construed as worse.

And if that's the case with Greene, well, we can thank our lucky stars that she isn't fully following in Trump's footsteps, because if she were she would have indeed doubled down.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.