Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Amazon's LOTR MMO Cancelled

Good job Tencent. /s

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-two-years-ago

Obviously Riot is owned by Tencent and they're working on an MMO so this is corporate assassination.

One day I may have hope for the MMO genre again, but it is not this day.

Should've been New World that got canceled and all focus shifted towards the LotR MMO. Oh well, at least Riot is still making theirs, which will be better than New World and Ashes of Creation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Good job Tencent. /s

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-two-years-ago

Obviously Riot is owned by Tencent and they're working on an MMO so this is corporate assassination.

One day I may have hope for the MMO genre again, but it is not this day.
    Yeah Amazon's track record aint great sooooooo I think this is not much to freak out about.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I don't think we should support Amazon games one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yeah Amazon's track record aint great sooooooo I think this is not much to freak out about.
    You're right, but I was hoping New World was almost like a practice run before the big daddy LOTR MMO.

EG7/SSG are probably gonna have a celebration on Monday, no more competition for the apparent glow-up that LOTRO is supposedly supposed to get sometime in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    sucks, but hard to mourn something that never even saw the light of day. Could have been rubbish, could have been awesome, we'll never know. Bu the idea of a LotR MMO would have made me happy as I never got on with the current one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    You're right, but I was hoping New World was almost like a practice run before the big daddy LOTR MMO.

Honestly, I'm in part glad because I feel like working on two mmos at once is a bit much for Amazon. Gotta focus on one project IMO. I'm down for a LOTR MMO, don't get me wrong. I just fear it might of hurt the brand. Much as I'm interested in new world, I'm just as skeptical.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    True, people are incredibly short sighted.

This sucks. I was really looking forward to this and the riot mmo. I guess it's now down to riot to save the genre.

Where is the horse and the rider?
    Where is the horn that was blowing?
    They have passed like rain on the mountains,
    like wind in the meadow.
    The days have gone down in the West,
    behind the hills... into Shadow.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

1. Amazon can't even release their first mmo, working on another seems kinda like folly to say the least.
    2. When you need to have a deep colaboration with a chinese studio to actually make the game, then it probably was never going to amount to much anyway. Making an mmo with a rinky-dinky studio doesn't "feel" like the right scope for a massive franchise like LotR.
    3. I have to admit that LotR was never high fantasy enough for me (I know how wrong that sounds). The lack of proper caster classes in lore doesn't make for an appealing setting imho, since not everyone can be Gandalf in a multiplayer game.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Sucks would much rather have a lotr mmo then a lol one that i have absolute zero intrest in.
    Do you hear the voices too?

On a more serious note, I wasn't expecting anything good from Amazon. It's a shame though. The Lord of the Rings setting is so underutilized and whenever we do see a LotR game it diverges very heavily from the actual lore and story people care about.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Every piece of chocolate you eat started as beans harvested by child workers. Kids in mines made your smartphone's battery possible, and it was assembled by people working for poverty wages.

Boycotts against massive corporations mean they hire less people, they will not blink when a few people choose not to play their game.

If it's good, play it. Then support the company's workers, by voting for legislators that will make their shittiest policies illegal, instead of hoping that they'll stop due to bad PR alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Honestly, I'm in part glad because I feel like working on two mmos at once is a bit much for Amazon. Gotta focus on one project IMO. I'm down for a LOTR MMO, don't get me wrong. I just fear it might of hurt the brand. Much as I'm interested in new world, I'm just as skeptical.
    I don't see that as a problem. They have the money, they can get as many ppl as they want to work on different projects.

This. Theyre just glorified data harvesting platforms. Not that it matters, their games do suck and will suck.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

AGS New World has to be an absolute banger 10/10. If not, they dont have a chance. Considering that NW already has its problems, it'll be a miracle if they get things situated. I honestly dont want to say this and was looking forward to the AGS games but all of them have had problem after problem.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Every piece of chocolate you eat started as beans harvested by child workers. Kids in mines made your smartphone's battery possible, and it was assembled by people working for poverty wages.

Boycotts against massive corporations mean they hire less people, they will not blink when a few people choose not to play their game.

If it's good, play it. Then support the company's workers, by voting for legislators that will make their shittiest policies illegal, instead of hoping that they'll stop due to bad PR alone.
    Yea this is how I approach it too. People honestly think people like Bobby Kotick and his other business ilk are gonna suffer if you boycott their game? Only people who suffer are those on the ground floor.

I only ever boycotted one thing ever, but that's due to me just washing my hands of it and that was Spider-Man comics after the One More Day event. And has nothing really to do with ethics but personal distaste :P