Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrius View Post
    Because lots of European players are poor and prefer to pay with gold. This increases the demand for tokens and creates scarcity which in turn drives the prices up.

    And 220k is not even high. It was 300k at some point.
    Yes I recall that mid Legion I bought tokens for 300k gold.

  2. #22
    Bloodsail Admiral Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by facefist View Post
    Inflation has basically nothing to do with what you explained. The relative value of the currencies is dependent on a lot of other things.

    But your explanation is the most correct one tbh. People saying its about supply and demand are correct too, but I doubt they are taking into account that 20€ is different from 20$ in terms of real value (and purchasing power).

    So hopefully you dont get offended that I corrected your terminology, as you actually said the important part (which I wasnt even thinking about).
    I guess inflation was the wrong word to use but it was the closest I could find to he terminology used in my language.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFancy21 View Post
    Can some one explain the high prices of the wow eu token ? its currently worth 220k compared to the us that is 150k.
    Thank you and good day
    The prices are always different for each region. Blizzard also heavily meddles with it in the background, so don't think to much about it

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrius View Post
    Because lots of European players are poor and prefer to pay with gold. This increases the demand for tokens and creates scarcity which in turn drives the prices up.

    And 220k is not even high. It was 300k at some point.
    This is a half truth and really offensive one.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrius View Post
    Because lots of European players are poor and prefer to pay with gold. This increases the demand for tokens and creates scarcity which in turn drives the prices up.

    And 220k is not even high. It was 300k at some point.
    While only partially true, it's also because Europeans (due to the super variations of income across countries) are less likely to spend real money on the token to buy gold, which means less supply.

    @OP It's mainly the supply and demand but there is also the income the game provides, which went to absurd levels in Legion because mission tables were providing a shit ton of gold.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFancy21 View Post
    Can some one explain the high prices of the wow eu token ? its currently worth 220k compared to the us that is 150k.
    Thank you and good day
    ppl stop playing SL more and more and more (and i can totally understand why). at least i and friends of mine (the few that still exists in game) see/feel it every day, by i.e. just looking at the amount of PUG grps early in the night.

    that said: IF my assumption is right and ppl more and more leaving in SL in EU, the high Token price is obvious. less suply, higher prices.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrius View Post
    Because lots of European players are poor and prefer to pay with gold. This increases the demand for tokens and creates scarcity which in turn drives the prices up.

    And 220k is not even high. It was 300k at some point.
    this is the biggest BS i ever heard. you dont get how Tokens work...

    before you can buy a Token in the AH with gold, to pay your sub with gold, another one had to buy a Token with 20 Euros real life money and put it there.

    what a BS you talk... (besides that idiotic „poor“ statement)....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Less people are buying WoW Tokens for €20, but the demand is still there hence the gold cost goes up.
    that one. simple as that.

    maybe ppl no longer invest that much into that cash grab shit, by just no longer playing SL and/or buying tokens for 20 Euros, while there are still enough players paying boosting grps and buy BoE items.

    the more fun part is: i know many ppl that exactly unsubbed for the reason of „the game drives you towards buying tokens by design, for boost grps and BoEs“. funny
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-04-18 at 01:54 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    The prices are always different for each region. Blizzard also heavily meddles with it in the background, so don't think to much about it
    If they actually meddled with it, you'd expect the opposite. You're just making stuff up here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    that one. simple as that.

    maybe ppl no longer invest that much into that cash grab shit, by just no longer playing SL and/or buying tokens for 20 Euros, while there are still enough players paying boosting grps and buy BoE items.
    You can't really tell which side it is. The only thing we know for certain is that EU has a greater disparity between supply and demand than US.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrius View Post
    The price would be much higher if not for the Boost Culture, where rich players buy like 10 tokens with real money and then sell for gold so they can buy boosts to M+ and raids.
    Without Boost Culture, people would barely ever sell tokens for gold and just for buying some AH boes, which would create even more scarcity and drive prices even higher.
    Kinda backwards, without Boosters buying up all the tokens the demand would drop, so prices would drop correspondingly. But whales would probably still be whales. Rich casual players would still sell tokens for gold, I doubt people who sell tokens are clued into Boost Culture.

    Also that's kinda funny when you think about it. The casual buys tokens, the booster buys tokens with gold. The casual receives the gold and then buys a carry with it

    This is all speculation of course

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    This is a half truth and really offensive one.
    As an Eastern European who lived in the US for a good while, it's not false. It's just a statement of fact that Americans are way happier to reach into their pockets for anything, while Europeans are more apprehensive about spending money. And this is more and more true the more to the east you go.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    As an Eastern European who lived in the US for a good while, it's not false. It's just a statement of fact that Americans are way happier to reach into their pockets for anything, while Europeans are more apprehensive about spending money. And this is more and more true the more to the east you go.
    Here you say that Europeans are more reluctant to spend money (which might be the case and I agree with a general feeling of this statement), but in the previous post it was said that "lots of European players are poor", which is, once again, not backed by any data by the OP and really offensive.
    To post some data, back in 2010:
    26% of adults in US were in low income group, and 56% in Middle class, wherea's in Spain it was 24% adults in low income and 64% in middle class.
    If you go further compare:
    26% low income, 56% middle class in US vs. 14%/80% in Denmark, 18%/72% in Germany, 13%/79% in Netherlands and let's throw in 17%/74% in France.

    How are Europeans generally poorer, if bigger percentage of population, statistically, is in fact richer in Europe?
    Hence, the initial argument is false and really offensive.

    EDIT:
    Source of data: Luxembourg’s Cross-National Data Center

  11. #31
    The game is probably more popular in the US than in the EU. A lot of players have left the game since shadowlands came out, in part to how little progression there is for casual players. If there's even a slight disparity between US and EU when it comes to casuals vs hardcores it's going to be more noticable in one region than the other.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    Here you say that Europeans are more reluctant to spend money (which might be the case and I agree with a general feeling of this statement), but in the previous post it was said that "lots of European players are poor", which is, once again, not backed by any data by the OP and really offensive.
    To post some data, back in 2010:
    26% of adults in US were in low income group, and 56% in Middle class, wherea's in Spain it was 24% adults in low income and 64% in middle class.
    If you go further compare:
    26% low income, 56% middle class in US vs. 14%/80% in Denmark, 18%/72% in Germany, 13%/79% in Netherlands and let's throw in 17%/74% in France.

    How are Europeans generally poorer, if bigger percentage of population, statistically, is in fact richer in Europe?
    Hence, the initial argument is false and really offensive.

    EDIT:
    Source of data: Luxembourg’s Cross-National Data Center
    The thing you are not comparing is what it means to be "middle class" in absolute terms. Even though the tokens are somewhat comparable price, it's a much lower spending item for someone with a middle class US wage. Without going for any hard data, in absolute terms, middle class in the US can afford more "stuff" than middle class in Europe.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Less people are buying WoW Tokens for €20, but the demand is still there hence the gold cost goes up.
    This thread should have ended here. It's really just that simple. Almost everything else is either batshit crazy theories from people who are fantasizing too much, or just toxic bullshit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    The WoW token is actually cheaper in the US because of inflation($20 vs €20, $20 being worth ca €17). It has been like this since the start and the two has always had different ingame values because of it.
    The inflation and currency exchange has absolutely nothing to do with these prices whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by heheszek View Post
    u cant buy normal gametime for 30days so ppl buy tokens for gold / and probably gold from 3rd party vendors

    its first implication of blizzard recent actions
    No, it's not. Token has always been cheaper in US, for years now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Inequality.

    There are areas in Europe (e.g. Ukraine) where it costs two days wages for a subscription.

    Those people will sure as shit be paying with tokens.
    Maybe. But that's a bit far reaching conclusion to go to with no data to support it. It could be argued that people with low wages who cant afford it wouldn't be playing a game with monthly subscription in the first place as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    They're slow dealing with bots and botters drive the price up
    Has nothing to do with bots

    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    The prices are always different for each region. Blizzard also heavily meddles with it in the background, so don't think to much about it
    Blizzard has no influence on token prices at all. This is nothing more than a wacky conspiracy theory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrius View Post
    Because lots of European players are poor and prefer to pay with gold. This increases the demand for tokens and creates scarcity which in turn drives the prices up.
    Or maybe they're just more skilled at making money in the game and play more so they are able to generate gold more easily and pay like that. It's a known fact that in the US you barely get any holiday days at work and Europe gets like triple times that, on top of shorter work hours in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    The game is probably more popular in the US than in the EU. A lot of players have left the game since shadowlands came out, in part to how little progression there is for casual players. If there's even a slight disparity between US and EU when it comes to casuals vs hardcores it's going to be more noticable in one region than the other.
    No, it's not. We don't have official data obviously, but the limited data provided by all the wow-related tracking sites suggests that there's multiple times more active players in EU than in US. Also, there haven't been any major shifts in the token price lately, so the theory that some supposed mass exodus from the game is causing it to fluctuate heavily is just your imagination, nothing more.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-04-18 at 04:01 PM.

  14. #34
    Immortal FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    7,617
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFancy21 View Post
    Can some one explain the high prices of the wow eu token ? its currently worth 220k compared to the us that is 150k.
    Thank you and good day
    220k isn't high... It used to be 300+

    Last time I sold one, I got 343k for it.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  15. #35
    Its because all the casuals stopped playing wow again. Casuals = same as people who buy stuff in gaming phone app's to speed up their progress, which btw is fine, just wouldn't buy a token my self ever. That's just my theory, and Im sure its right.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  16. #36
    My personal feeling tells me that EU citizens don't like spending money. Meaning more people want to pay with gold and less offer tokens they bought with real currency.

    Also sub/token costs are higher in EU, compared to US if you factor in exchange rates, while gold has the same value. Meaning you should expect more gold for your token.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The inflation and currency exchange has absolutely nothing to do with these prices whatsoever.
    You're wrong. The WoW token is an exchange rate between gold and € or $. Obviously the gold price is higher if your currency is worth more.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    You're wrong. The WoW token is an exchange rate between gold and € or $. Obviously the gold price is higher if your currency is worth more.
    What?

    Token prices are completely different in each region. It's not the same price just converted to another currency. The prices are based on the region-exclusive supply and demand across AH on all servers in a given region.

    You just have no idea, do you?

  18. #38
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    23,069
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFancy21 View Post
    Can some one explain the high prices of the wow eu token ? its currently worth 220k compared to the us that is 150k.
    Thank you and good day
    EU gold is worth less, as they farm much more. difference in enemployment and also a lot fo the top end guilds there, leading to gold being worth less then it is in the NA.

  19. #39
    Blizzard currently have some sort of bugg where i can't buy tokens, so obviously the supply would go down.

    Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    What?

    Token prices are completely different in each region. It's not the same price just converted to another currency. The prices are based on the region-exclusive supply and demand across AH on all servers in a given region.

    You just have no idea, do you?
    Well, of course it's supply and demand. And what factor regulates demand in a monopoly situation like this? Price.
    Offer a good at a higher price and you'll get less demand and vice versa. Mirror that for supply.
    In case of WoW tokens you have 2 systems: exchanging real currency for tokens and exchanging tokens for gold. Given supply and demand rules and given that supply is infinite only the price regulates the demand for WoW tokens. This price is higher in EU than in US, meaning less Tokens are bought. That in return means lower supply for tokens in WoW. To balance that out, the gold value in WoW is higher.

    Not saying that is the only reason for the discrepancy, but it is one reason why EU token gold prices constantly were higher than US ones.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2021-04-18 at 05:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •