View Poll Results: Is it a Smart Business move to make "Classic" for all previous Expacs?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    117 54.67%
  • No

    97 45.33%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #161
    Elemental Lord callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    8,302
    Hell yeah its a smart move. I cannot wait for WoD classic!!!

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    not really, people came and went from classic after finishing content like they do from retail, and a lot of them actualy went there just to experience it bcs they didnt play it "back then", TBC will be the same - crapload of people on begining and then rapid decline
    No, it really is. Creativity is gone from AAA games studios. They need to re-hash 20 year-old titles because modern games are dogshit

    Thankfully there are developers such as GGG that are creating some fantastic titles like PoE without being beholden to shareholders and don't pander to activists

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    TBC will be the same - crapload of people on begining and then rapid decline
    I'd argue this will be much less the case with TBC - Vanilla was flawed with weak mechanics, poor PVP options and many annoyances. Like several of my IRL friends and old arena buddies, I played vanilla>MoP and came back to Classic with no expectation to binge on it but with the hope it would eventually lead to Classic TBC and WotLK. TBC was where Blizzard turned a game with potential into quite a polished experience.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

  4. #164
    Scarab Lord crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    4,884
    Like others said, they should just stop at Wotlk. People would play the other expansions if they made classic versions for them, but I doubt it would be significant.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcruize View Post
    I'd argue this will be much less the case with TBC - Vanilla was flawed with weak mechanics, poor PVP options and many annoyances. Like several of my IRL friends and old arena buddies, I played vanilla>MoP and came back to Classic with no expectation to binge on it but with the hope it would eventually lead to Classic TBC and WotLK. TBC was where Blizzard turned a game with potential into quite a polished experience.
    there will definitely be huge drop, maybe not so big, maybe bigger, better game doesnt always mean it will interest more people... and perhaps the initial peak will be smaller, depends what "tourists" will do...
    a lot of people for years listened how vanilla was soo much better, but they didnt want to play on free server so they jumped at the oportunity to try it, and a lot of them were dissapointed and left pretty fast... now, they listen how TBC is so much better, so how will they react?
    they will either go and try it and a lot of them will be dissapointed again, or they will be more skeptical and wont even try, especialy in begining as they will expect a lot of issues like vanilla classic had, that might have huge impact on playercount

    i play since 2005, i know every expansion vanilla included had it strong and weak points, and i expected the big initial peak and massive drop after for classic, and i was right (although cant say how precise i was without numbers) but for TBC i dont dare to predict, way too much things that will impact that
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-05-01 at 06:38 PM.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    there will definitely be huge drop, maybe not so big, maybe bigger, better game doesnt always mean it will interest more people... and perhaps the initial peak will be smaller, depends what "tourists" will do...
    a lot of people for years listened how vanilla was soo much better, but they didnt want to play on free server so they jumped at the oportunity to try it, and a lot of them were dissapointed and left pretty fast... now, they listen how TBC is so much better, so how will they react?
    they will either go and try it and a lot of them will be dissapointed again, or they will be more skeptical and wont even try, especialy in begining as they will expect a lot of issues like vanilla classic had, that might have huge impact on playercount

    i play since 2005, i know every expansion vanilla included had it strong and weak points, and i expected the big initial peak and massive drop after for classic, and i was right (although cant say how precise i was without numbers) but for TBC i dont dare to predict, way too much things that will impact that
    Even though there’s still a lot of stuff to do in TBC, I think the grinding is built into activities and is less tedious/prone to fatigue.

    Plus, 10/25 is way easier in terms of coordination/recruiting.

    Add in the QOL and PvP being a more accessible feature, and I think it’s less likely to have a massive drop. All that said, though, I think every launch has attrition after the first month or so.

    I’m optimistic that TBC will hold people’s attention longer.

  7. #167
    It makes sense up till and with Wotlk. After that, the game quickly moves towards retail in many ways.

    I think the classic->BC->WotlK is considered the "old days", even though WotLK is a stretch here tbh. But WotLK got Lich King as the main treath, people want to experience all that again.

    Several years from now Blizzard has to decide what to do, but I think they are going to stop with Wotlk. After that, they can just re-release fresh servers. Maybe they can over time do other fun things within those games, idk.

    For now its a moneymachine and a nobrainer for Blizzard to release these versions of wow.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Even though there’s still a lot of stuff to do in TBC, I think the grinding is built into activities and is less tedious/prone to fatigue.

    Plus, 10/25 is way easier in terms of coordination/recruiting.

    Add in the QOL and PvP being a more accessible feature, and I think it’s less likely to have a massive drop. All that said, though, I think every launch has attrition after the first month or so.

    I’m optimistic that TBC will hold people’s attention longer.
    I think alot of people will be surprised with the amount of grind that excists in BC. Its literally grinding for every dungeon/raid you want to do, via rep especially. Given that alot of people either played bc back in the day and/Or plays either classic/retail now, the fatigue might hit in BC for many.

    Its not just reach 70 and hit up HC dungeons. With that said - theres more to do in BC at max level compared to classic.

    In any case, I have no doubt that BC will be a big hit with a decent playerbase all the time.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    PvP being a more accessible feature
    now, i do agree, BUT! the balance was... horrible - and thats generous description - which i think will dissuade a lot of people, especialy people who will use boost and then find out their char is just useless

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    now, i do agree, BUT! the balance was... horrible - and thats generous description - which i think will dissuade a lot of people, especialy people who will use boost and then find out their char is just useless
    Oh, 100% agreed. The balance is going to be awful. I just think Arena will be super popular because it’s not a 2hr AV match (not that those are common anymore).

  10. #170
    PVPers now have the advantage of specifically choosing optimal classes/specs whilst originally we went into TBC with our vanilla mindsets. From my memories there was nothing more frustrating than going into a new expansion and finding out that the class you've spent many years playing was now trash. As a rogue I didn't get this a lot, but when it happened it really hurt.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

  11. #171
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    how exactly?
    can u tell me since wow started, if it ever stayed in same content with zero new patch update for 8 months? can u name which starting patch did that? any of x.1 stayed in oven for 8 months?
    comparing last patch with first patch means u don't get why last patch needs to stay longer in first place
    So you are ignoring the droughts after the last patch of an expansion to the launch of a new one? The last major patch of BfA to shadowlands launch was longer than 8 months, also, hasn't been 8 months. Shadowlands launched in November, it's May. That is six months.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  12. #172
    Immortal sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    WORST country on earth (aka egypt)
    Posts
    7,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    So you are ignoring the droughts after the last patch of an expansion to the launch of a new one? The last major patch of BfA to shadowlands launch was longer than 8 months, also, hasn't been 8 months. Shadowlands launched in November, it's May. That is six months.
    i'm not ignoring, but u compare a just launch patch of exp with last patch of exp with all its features, means u don't understand difference of patches in first place
    except WoD, a major patch introduce a lot of content, patch 3.3 for example introduced a lot to wow, hence why the - expected and always - longer cycle of last patch is nothing new, every exp had a long last patch, while first patch u expect the rest featured contents of said patch
    U don't expect any new update to Northrend after wrath ended, but u expecting a lot of new content in Northrend during wrath, we are expecting major changes in SL until its last patch

    - - - Updated - - -

    for better or worse we are used to have last patch stays longer than it should, not first patch, if we don't make a stand now, wow will have every patch stays 8+ months
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    No, it really is. Creativity is gone from AAA games studios. They need to re-hash 20 year-old titles because modern games are dogshit

    Thankfully there are developers such as GGG that are creating some fantastic titles like PoE without being beholden to shareholders and don't pander to activists
    GGG is owned by Tencent...they definitely answer to someone. The games MTX model is also pretty scummy IMO and this is as someone who enjoyed the game since Breach league and also playing the current Ultimatum.

    There are very few benevolent developers that put passion over profit. People thought that about CDPR and then their latest release happened.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  14. #174
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    i'm not ignoring, but u compare a just launch patch of exp with last patch of exp with all its features, means u don't understand difference of patches in first place
    except WoD, a major patch introduce a lot of content, patch 3.3 for example introduced a lot to wow, hence why the - expected and always - longer cycle of last patch is nothing new, every exp had a long last patch, while first patch u expect the rest featured contents of said patch
    U don't expect any new update to Northrend after wrath ended, but u expecting a lot of new content in Northrend during wrath, we are expecting major changes in SL until its last patch
    You didn't claim longest content drought to start an expansion/between major patches of an expansion, you claimed longest content drought.

    These two statements are not the same thing. Yes, this is the longest we waited for a major patch after an expansion launch, but it is no where close to the longest content drought.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  15. #175
    Immortal sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    WORST country on earth (aka egypt)
    Posts
    7,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You didn't claim longest content drought to start an expansion/between major patches of an expansion, you claimed longest content drought.

    These two statements are not the same thing. Yes, this is the longest we waited for a major patch after an expansion launch, but it is no where close to the longest content drought.
    i thought it was obvious -.-
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

  16. #176
    Nothing beyond WOTLK needs a "Classic" version (with a minor exception for MoP) because after WoTLK comes Cata, and Cata is pretty much the start of what caused the rapid descent into the WoW we have now.

    I'd much prefer them to go up to WOTLK and then create either (A) new expansions or (B) revamped versions of expansions. Like Cata with all the content that was originally intended before the cuts, or a Cata with new raids / dungeons.

  17. #177
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    i thought it was obvious -.-
    Essentially your argument is that "it is the worst content drought if we ignore the ones worse than it."

    And given that you are saying 8 months, we it hasn't even been a full 6 months yet makes it less obvious. Shadowlands launched on 11/23/2020. If the patch comes out by 5/23/2021, it would have only been six months. They still have 3 weeks to make the patch within six months.

    Also, 2.1 Black Temple didn't see really any new content until 2.3 unless you count 2.2 which added holidays (That was 4 months). Since actual significant content wasn't added until 2.3 with Zul'Amon, which was 6 months after 2.1.

    Ulduar launched five months after Wrath was released and outside of Vanilla, major patches average about 4 to 5 months. Given that this expansion and its development has been hit by COVID like everything, if they get it out in 8 months that is actually more impressive than annoying.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  18. #178
    Scarab Lord Sugho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    4,288
    Not all expansions imo but 3-4 of them? Sure. Like, how many people will hangout in WoD a week after the launch? A 1000?

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Hell yeah its a smart move. I cannot wait for WoD classic!!!

    10 years from now, MoP and WoD babies will be creaming their pants for this announcement.

  20. #180
    Stood in the Fire AkundaMrdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You didn't claim longest content drought to start an expansion/between major patches of an expansion, you claimed longest content drought.

    These two statements are not the same thing. Yes, this is the longest we waited for a major patch after an expansion launch, but it is no where close to the longest content drought.
    It takes brain size of a pea, not to figure out he was talking about first content patch.

    (never since wow got released we got a patch delayed that long if my memory serves right
    We are waiting for delayed content patch. During content drought at last patch, we are not waiting for content patch, but for a new expansion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •