Poll: Is it a Smart Business move to make "Classic" for all previous Expacs?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    Yeah you see I'd run my own BC server as well, if ActiVi$ion wouldn't come at my door with court orders and demands.
    There are plenty bc server arround no need to open another one. And if Blizz would continue with its crusade against pserver, it would have happened allready.

I will not pay Blizz a cent for recreating allready "done" things and i am not alone with this position

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it be viable? Maybe. Not a lot of work, and even WoD would have enough people to keep it on the backburner imo.

But I think the "Classic era" fits better with Vanilla,TBC and Wrath. Those games feel like they're part of the first iteration of WoW. Once Cataclysm came, things changed. It feels like a sequel in that sense.

So my support goes to Vanil/TBC/Wrath, and just cycling that and focusing on making that era the best it can be, making minor tweaks to every cycle to resolve the issues of the past cycle. Seasonal WoW would be fantastic imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    pls show source for b, and not sure who is ignorant when u ignore the most popular wow player right now (btw i don't even watch him, but i know who he is)
    As mentioned above by someone else, when I last seen him he was still streaming Classic. Either way, him not playing it means nothing, as he has always played both iterations of the game. His opinion does not ultimately decide something just because he is a popular streamer. An example being that he dislikes Wrath, so whilst everyone else will be hyped to the moon and back about that releasing, he won't care. Whilst Blizzard's profits and sub numbers will likely be through the roof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some yes, all no

Do we really want a WoD classic?

It is only smart if they make a sub for each individual version but a lot cheaper like $5 a month per version, if not I will continue to only play on pservers and Activision can continue to not be able to do anything about it lol.

For Blizzard it definitely is, not sure about whether or not it's good for the franchise or the fans. MAUs define the health of the game and MAUs are the measuring stick for Gaming and Social Media. Technically speaking, if the same player logs into both WOW Classic and Shadowlands in a given month, it counts as 2 MAUs. If they log into Starcraft and HOTS in the same month as well, that's 4 MAUs. So it's unquestionably good for Blizzard if they resurrect older versions of WOW and other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It is only smart if they make a sub for each individual version but a lot cheaper like $5 a month per version, if not I will continue to only play on pservers and Activision can continue to not be able to do anything about it lol.
    Why should they? Because you want to live in the past but you're cheap as fuck? There are plenty of people who want to play the classics but still play live.

They obviously live rent free in your head so they probably don't need the extra 10 dollars from you

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Why should they? Because you want to live in the past but you're cheap as fuck? There are plenty of people who want to play the classics but still play live.

They obviously live rent free in your head so they probably don't need the extra 10 dollars from you
    Doesn't matter, pservers are good enough when I want a WoW fix, not paying Blizzard anymore for a game I payed for 9 times over plus subs lmao.

If you want to pay the absurd sub fee and you are in a country where it is ridiculously over priced go ahead but I am not paying $21 CAD ($42 when the wife was playing) a month to play a single game when I can pay $18 CAD to play hundreds of games on Game Pass (which let you share a sub with one other person or anyone on the console) or similar services.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2021-04-23 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Some yes, all no

Do we really want a WoD classic?
    i don't even want a cata classic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    As mentioned above by someone else, when I last seen him he was still streaming Classic. Either way, him not playing it means nothing, as he has always played both iterations of the game. His opinion does not ultimately decide something just because he is a popular streamer. An example being that he dislikes Wrath, so whilst everyone else will be hyped to the moon and back about that releasing, he won't care. Whilst Blizzard's profits and sub numbers will likely be through the roof.
    i did ask for B, and of course he is back now to stream classic/tbc, a LOT of ppl left SL due to the WORST content drought in wow history (never since wow got released we got a patch delayed that long if my memory serves right, 8+ patch is usually last patch and even that every time they apologized for it), heck most ppl left SL and either left wow or playing classic to prepare for tbc
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    It is not a smart business decision because you harm your own product in the end.

Why should I play the new content when I can stay in content I loved before? Why should I play old content that I have access to while playing?

Classic is a balance. IMO Classic WoW time is Vanilla through Wrath. Cata is one if not the most hated expansions of WoW, so there is literally no reason to make a Classic version of that expansion and waste resources on something you won't have many people play. Cata and WoD classics will likely never happen, as they tend to be loathed expansions by the community. Legion and BfA are too recent to really make classic.

So, I see a Wrath Classic coming, but likely no further than that. The only other expansion that I could see people enjoying as Classic would be Mists, but that's it and if they did that, people would wonder why they didn't make Cata classic.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    i don't even want a cata classic

- - - Updated - - -

i did ask for B, and of course he is back now to stream classic/tbc, a LOT of ppl left SL due to the WORST content drought in wow history (never since wow got released we got a patch delayed that long if my memory serves right, 8+ patch is usually last patch and even that every time they apologized for it), heck most ppl left SL and either left wow or playing classic to prepare for tbc
    I'm not even playing SL currently but this is wrong lmao.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Yeah, I don't get why people make that claim.

It's been almost six months. The time from the last content patch of BfA and Shadowlands was 11 MONTHS (was going to be 10). We aren't even that level yet.

Cata, Mists, and WoD all had longer droughts. If you don't could Ruby Sanctum as content (which I don't know why you would make that claim), Wrath had a longer drought.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Mentality A: Original WoW developers did that, and so we still play the game purely because of how good it once was.
    Mentality B: Current leaders and developers are making developing WoW with profitability as the main focus, and what they are achieving is making WoW go downhill faster than ever.
    or Mentality C - people who like the direction the game changed over years and enjoy the current game

i know when you are determined to hate something its hard to imagine people might actualy enjoy it, but it is very much so...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    The fact that classic/TBC/D2:R etc are so popular and in demand is such an indictment on modern gaming and the state of modern wow.
    not really, people came and went from classic after finishing content like they do from retail, and a lot of them actualy went there just to experience it bcs they didnt play it "back then", TBC will be the same - crapload of people on begining and then rapid decline

Fwiw the content drought is too long and they probably did lose a lot of the momentum they had for a little bit after launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    how exactly?
    can u tell me since wow started, if it ever stayed in same content with zero new patch update for 8 months? can u name which starting patch did that? any of x.1 stayed in oven for 8 months?
    comparing last patch with first patch means u don't get why last patch needs to stay longer in first place
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

7+ Year Old Account
    Hell yeah its a smart move. I cannot wait for WoD classic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    not really, people came and went from classic after finishing content like they do from retail, and a lot of them actualy went there just to experience it bcs they didnt play it "back then", TBC will be the same - crapload of people on begining and then rapid decline
    No, it really is. Creativity is gone from AAA games studios. They need to re-hash 20 year-old titles because modern games are dogshit

Thankfully there are developers such as GGG that are creating some fantastic titles like PoE without being beholden to shareholders and don't pander to activists

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    TBC will be the same - crapload of people on begining and then rapid decline
    I'd argue this will be much less the case with TBC - Vanilla was flawed with weak mechanics, poor PVP options and many annoyances. Like several of my IRL friends and old arena buddies, I played vanilla>MoP and came back to Classic with no expectation to binge on it but with the hope it would eventually lead to Classic TBC and WotLK. TBC was where Blizzard turned a game with potential into quite a polished experience.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Like others said, they should just stop at Wotlk. People would play the other expansions if they made classic versions for them, but I doubt it would be significant.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcruize View Post
    I'd argue this will be much less the case with TBC - Vanilla was flawed with weak mechanics, poor PVP options and many annoyances. Like several of my IRL friends and old arena buddies, I played vanilla>MoP and came back to Classic with no expectation to binge on it but with the hope it would eventually lead to Classic TBC and WotLK. TBC was where Blizzard turned a game with potential into quite a polished experience.
    there will definitely be huge drop, maybe not so big, maybe bigger, better game doesnt always mean it will interest more people... and perhaps the initial peak will be smaller, depends what "tourists" will do...
    a lot of people for years listened how vanilla was soo much better, but they didnt want to play on free server so they jumped at the oportunity to try it, and a lot of them were dissapointed and left pretty fast... now, they listen how TBC is so much better, so how will they react?
    they will either go and try it and a lot of them will be dissapointed again, or they will be more skeptical and wont even try, especialy in begining as they will expect a lot of issues like vanilla classic had, that might have huge impact on playercount

i play since 2005, i know every expansion vanilla included had it strong and weak points, and i expected the big initial peak and massive drop after for classic, and i was right (although cant say how precise i was without numbers) but for TBC i dont dare to predict, way too much things that will impact that
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-05-01 at 06:38 PM.