Poll: Is it a Smart Business move to make "Classic" for all previous Expacs?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    there will definitely be huge drop, maybe not so big, maybe bigger, better game doesnt always mean it will interest more people... and perhaps the initial peak will be smaller, depends what "tourists" will do...
    a lot of people for years listened how vanilla was soo much better, but they didnt want to play on free server so they jumped at the oportunity to try it, and a lot of them were dissapointed and left pretty fast... now, they listen how TBC is so much better, so how will they react?
    they will either go and try it and a lot of them will be dissapointed again, or they will be more skeptical and wont even try, especialy in begining as they will expect a lot of issues like vanilla classic had, that might have huge impact on playercount

i play since 2005, i know every expansion vanilla included had it strong and weak points, and i expected the big initial peak and massive drop after for classic, and i was right (although cant say how precise i was without numbers) but for TBC i dont dare to predict, way too much things that will impact that
    Even though there’s still a lot of stuff to do in TBC, I think the grinding is built into activities and is less tedious/prone to fatigue.

Plus, 10/25 is way easier in terms of coordination/recruiting.

Add in the QOL and PvP being a more accessible feature, and I think it’s less likely to have a massive drop. All that said, though, I think every launch has attrition after the first month or so.

I’m optimistic that TBC will hold people’s attention longer.

It makes sense up till and with Wotlk. After that, the game quickly moves towards retail in many ways.

I think the classic->BC->WotlK is considered the "old days", even though WotLK is a stretch here tbh. But WotLK got Lich King as the main treath, people want to experience all that again.

Several years from now Blizzard has to decide what to do, but I think they are going to stop with Wotlk. After that, they can just re-release fresh servers. Maybe they can over time do other fun things within those games, idk.

For now its a moneymachine and a nobrainer for Blizzard to release these versions of wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Even though there’s still a lot of stuff to do in TBC, I think the grinding is built into activities and is less tedious/prone to fatigue.

Plus, 10/25 is way easier in terms of coordination/recruiting.

Add in the QOL and PvP being a more accessible feature, and I think it’s less likely to have a massive drop. All that said, though, I think every launch has attrition after the first month or so.

I’m optimistic that TBC will hold people’s attention longer.
    I think alot of people will be surprised with the amount of grind that excists in BC. Its literally grinding for every dungeon/raid you want to do, via rep especially. Given that alot of people either played bc back in the day and/Or plays either classic/retail now, the fatigue might hit in BC for many.

Its not just reach 70 and hit up HC dungeons. With that said - theres more to do in BC at max level compared to classic.

In any case, I have no doubt that BC will be a big hit with a decent playerbase all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    PvP being a more accessible feature
    now, i do agree, BUT! the balance was... horrible - and thats generous description - which i think will dissuade a lot of people, especialy people who will use boost and then find out their char is just useless

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    now, i do agree, BUT! the balance was... horrible - and thats generous description - which i think will dissuade a lot of people, especialy people who will use boost and then find out their char is just useless
    Oh, 100% agreed. The balance is going to be awful. I just think Arena will be super popular because it’s not a 2hr AV match (not that those are common anymore).

PVPers now have the advantage of specifically choosing optimal classes/specs whilst originally we went into TBC with our vanilla mindsets. From my memories there was nothing more frustrating than going into a new expansion and finding out that the class you've spent many years playing was now trash. As a rogue I didn't get this a lot, but when it happened it really hurt.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    how exactly?
    can u tell me since wow started, if it ever stayed in same content with zero new patch update for 8 months? can u name which starting patch did that? any of x.1 stayed in oven for 8 months?
    comparing last patch with first patch means u don't get why last patch needs to stay longer in first place
    So you are ignoring the droughts after the last patch of an expansion to the launch of a new one? The last major patch of BfA to shadowlands launch was longer than 8 months, also, hasn't been 8 months. Shadowlands launched in November, it's May. That is six months.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    So you are ignoring the droughts after the last patch of an expansion to the launch of a new one? The last major patch of BfA to shadowlands launch was longer than 8 months, also, hasn't been 8 months. Shadowlands launched in November, it's May. That is six months.
    i'm not ignoring, but u compare a just launch patch of exp with last patch of exp with all its features, means u don't understand difference of patches in first place
    except WoD, a major patch introduce a lot of content, patch 3.3 for example introduced a lot to wow, hence why the - expected and always - longer cycle of last patch is nothing new, every exp had a long last patch, while first patch u expect the rest featured contents of said patch
    U don't expect any new update to Northrend after wrath ended, but u expecting a lot of new content in Northrend during wrath, we are expecting major changes in SL until its last patch

- - - Updated - - -

for better or worse we are used to have last patch stays longer than it should, not first patch, if we don't make a stand now, wow will have every patch stays 8+ months
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    No, it really is. Creativity is gone from AAA games studios. They need to re-hash 20 year-old titles because modern games are dogshit

Thankfully there are developers such as GGG that are creating some fantastic titles like PoE without being beholden to shareholders and don't pander to activists
    GGG is owned by Tencent...they definitely answer to someone. The games MTX model is also pretty scummy IMO and this is as someone who enjoyed the game since Breach league and also playing the current Ultimatum.

There are very few benevolent developers that put passion over profit. People thought that about CDPR and then their latest release happened.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    i'm not ignoring, but u compare a just launch patch of exp with last patch of exp with all its features, means u don't understand difference of patches in first place
    except WoD, a major patch introduce a lot of content, patch 3.3 for example introduced a lot to wow, hence why the - expected and always - longer cycle of last patch is nothing new, every exp had a long last patch, while first patch u expect the rest featured contents of said patch
    U don't expect any new update to Northrend after wrath ended, but u expecting a lot of new content in Northrend during wrath, we are expecting major changes in SL until its last patch
    You didn't claim longest content drought to start an expansion/between major patches of an expansion, you claimed longest content drought.

These two statements are not the same thing. Yes, this is the longest we waited for a major patch after an expansion launch, but it is no where close to the longest content drought.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't claim longest content drought to start an expansion/between major patches of an expansion, you claimed longest content drought.

These two statements are not the same thing. Yes, this is the longest we waited for a major patch after an expansion launch, but it is no where close to the longest content drought.
    i thought it was obvious -.-
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Nothing beyond WOTLK needs a "Classic" version (with a minor exception for MoP) because after WoTLK comes Cata, and Cata is pretty much the start of what caused the rapid descent into the WoW we have now.

I'd much prefer them to go up to WOTLK and then create either (A) new expansions or (B) revamped versions of expansions. Like Cata with all the content that was originally intended before the cuts, or a Cata with new raids / dungeons.

7+ Year Old Account
    i thought it was obvious -.-
    Essentially your argument is that "it is the worst content drought if we ignore the ones worse than it."

And given that you are saying 8 months, we it hasn't even been a full 6 months yet makes it less obvious. Shadowlands launched on 11/23/2020. If the patch comes out by 5/23/2021, it would have only been six months. They still have 3 weeks to make the patch within six months.

Also, 2.1 Black Temple didn't see really any new content until 2.3 unless you count 2.2 which added holidays (That was 4 months). Since actual significant content wasn't added until 2.3 with Zul'Amon, which was 6 months after 2.1.

Ulduar launched five months after Wrath was released and outside of Vanilla, major patches average about 4 to 5 months. Given that this expansion and its development has been hit by COVID like everything, if they get it out in 8 months that is actually more impressive than annoying.
    –The Sith Code

Not all expansions imo but 3-4 of them? Sure. Like, how many people will hangout in WoD a week after the launch? A 1000?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Hell yeah its a smart move. I cannot wait for WoD classic!!!

10 years from now, MoP and WoD babies will be creaming their pants for this announcement.

7+ Year Old Account

It takes brain size of a pea, not to figure out he was talking about first content patch.

(never since wow got released we got a patch delayed that long if my memory serves right
    We are waiting for delayed content patch. During content drought at last patch, we are not waiting for content patch, but for a new expansion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AkundaMrdal View Post
    It takes brain size of a pea, not to figure out he was talking about first content patch.
    Yeah, try again there. No.

His statement was it is the worst content drought and then he spoke that never before has there been a delay this long between content patches (which FYI, as long as patch launches before 6 months, it still isn't the longest drought between significant content). The only content between 2.1 and 2.3 during BC was a patch labeled voice chat which added holiday events. It was six months between significant content.

And in Warlords it was 7 months between launch and the first significant and only new content.

So, it is objectively not the worst content drought even between patches. It is currently 5.5 months and other expansion more recently add a new patch about every 5 months until the expansion ends. If it launch next tuesday (not saying it will) it will be the 3rd worst content drought between major content patches. And given that there is still a global pandemic going on, this is the most understandable of the content droughts and that ALONE should make it not the worst even if it exceeds the other two eventually.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-05-05 at 09:48 PM.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It wasn't even smart for classic. This will only speed up WoW's demise at some point in the future. Classic already proved how boring and repetitive WoW was and that people quily lost interest soon after a new phase was launched. This will be the case even quicker for most of the xpacs.
    Executive producer John Hight told GameSpot at BlizzConline that the community for WoW Classic is "as large" as the modern WoW community.

The developer thought bringing back the OG WoW would be something appealing to hardcore fans but not many more than that. As it turned out, that wasn't the case, and the game is now gigantic, with an expansion, The Burning Crusade, on the way this year.

"It certainly surprised us. When we put out Classic, we weren't sure is this going to be a big deal or not. We kind of thought, 'Our core fans are really going to love this, so let's do this for them.' And then, no, it became a whole big community of WoW players. As large as our modern WoW community. That surprised u
    Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo.../1100-6487853/

Whoops.

10+ Year Old Account
    ALL? No.

Would you line up to play Warlords or Battle for Azeroth again? I know I wouldn't
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Of course. It's almost free money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It wasn't even smart for classic. This will only speed up WoW's demise at some point in the future. Classic already proved how boring and repetitive WoW was and that people quily lost interest soon after a new phase was launched. This will be the case even quicker for most of the xpacs.
    This is complete cope/delusion. Classic had like 1 mil subs alone, it was a resounding success.

Smart in the sense it costs them virtually nothing, sure.

Doesn't mean every iteration would be a success. I am sure the # of private servers out there for any specific version of the game probably give a decently accurate picture of how popular each Classic expansion would be.