Poll: Interested in wotlk classic?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will probably check it out but just like vanilla I don't see myself sticking around. That said I did enjoy Wintergrasp a lot back then so that is something I might actually continue to play from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    100% will play, already subbed. Played all of Classic, will play all of TBC and all of Wrath. Can't wait to play an actual decent version of WoW again and arguably the pinnacle.
    The only reason it’s arguable is in peoples anecdotal experiences. If we are going to go by the objectively best version of wow, wotlk wins in every single category full stop. Whether you want to see how it performed during its current time or even after it was no longer current. It had, and held the highest number of subs throughout its entire duration. And even after it went away and people started making servers for other expansions wotlk held king in order of number of servers and number of people who consistently played those servers. Even nost and other vanilla servers that are always heard of being this “mammoth” in terms of players, never touched the wotlk server populations and they still hold a lot of their players all these years later.

I already paid for Wrath so I will continue to play on a pserver, not interested in giving Blizzard $21 a month to play a game I already own and paid for the entirety of Wrath.

5+ Year Old Account
    Been there, done that.

I think I'll clone my character to TBC Era, play the first patch of WotLK then fully unsub. Not much entertainment to get for me once 3.2 is released.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowroguetbc View Post
    The only reason it’s arguable is in peoples anecdotal experiences. If we are going to go by the objectively best version of wow, wotlk wins in every single category full stop. Whether you want to see how it performed during its current time or even after it was no longer current. It had, and held the highest number of subs throughout its entire duration. And even after it went away and people started making servers for other expansions wotlk held king in order of number of servers and number of people who consistently played those servers. Even nost and other vanilla servers that are always heard of being this “mammoth” in terms of players, never touched the wotlk server populations and they still hold a lot of their players all these years later.
    I'd have a slightly different explanation. WotLK added strongly antisocial features and started the content drought trend. The social tissue does not die immediately and so impact on subs of these things take time. But it's hard to know for sure.

The reason for the number of private servers is much more clear, if you're a bit familiar with the scene. Technology changed so drastically with Cataclysm that emulation development took a big hit, it became way more difficult to write server cores. WotLK was just (still is) the most recent expansion which is decently emulated with few bugs. That makes a bottleneck.

I'm unsubbed now, more or less waiting for for TBC pre-patch. I didn't play TBC or a ton of Wrath, I was too busy during that time of my life, so I'm looking forward to both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    That's true if you enjoy the current version. I however, found the gameplay and sense of community in classic superior to retail. Felt like I was playing an mmorpg again. So for me it's not just nostalgia.
    retail has far more rpg elements than classic,a game being more tedious and forcing you to play with people wile lvling does not = rpg

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    I think I'll clone my character to TBC Era, play the first patch of WotLK then fully unsub. Not much entertainment to get for me once 3.2 is released.

I'd have a slightly different explanation. WotLK added strongly antisocial features and started the content drought trend. The social tissue does not die immediately and so impact on subs of these things take time. But it's hard to know for sure.

The reason for the number of private servers is much more clear, if you're a bit familiar with the scene. Technology changed so drastically with Cataclysm that emulation development took a big hit, it became way more difficult to write server cores. WotLK was just (still is) the most recent expansion which is decently emulated with few bugs. That makes a bottleneck.
    Yes and what you’re describing is like I said anecdotal. A lot of people liked the dungeon finder system which is really the only anti social thing that was added in wotlk. When you look at it objectively and how it was received by the vast majority, it’s held as the gold standard. As well as it held onto the subs and kept people playing throughout the whole expansion. I can argue all I want about things that were added that I personally hate (like the mount store) but it doesn’t matter because the numbers don’t lie.

As for the private server thing... man that’s quite the stretch lol. There have been plenty of well coded servers. If the problem was just the code and people were dying to jump in on these servers as much as new wotlk servers then you would see something more like a ton of people jumping into a new cata server and then leaving when it sucks. Cata servers have never had a big audience. Even on brand new servers they never break like 2k on opening day. Even poorly coded and shitty wotlk servers will open up with 10 sometimes 15k population day one.

It’s very clear what expansions have a massive following, cata and beyond is not one of them though. And this isn’t me just speaking because of my personal opinions, this is just a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOTLK > Legion \ BFA \ SL, any time.

Would stick to WOTLK instead and wish they make a kind of WOTLK+ in the end (with features like transmog, new models and graphics, pet battles added, perhaps).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I always found Classic servers to be pointless and a waste of resources and that won't change with Wotlk.
    Why waste ? A lot of ppl enjoy it. Restarting of calssic isnt much expensive especially after they build base tool for developing and deploying.

Those numbers are amazing btw. From the subbed players 2/5 will switch to wotlk. 2/5 will stay and 1/5 will just check it out.

Shame we dont have enough numbers from pserver players because lets be honest here, there are a lot of WoW private servers. And if even half of those people remotely consider going global it could be a game changer. Tho "free" is probably what will keep them there.

Nostalgia for me isn't a factor here. Played D2, won't play D2R, Didn't play Vanilla/TBC and not planning. Wotlk on the other hand has certainly this "something".
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I always found Classic servers to be pointless and a waste of resources and that won't change with Wotlk.
    I don't like flutes, so I regularly take time to travel to every shop in town that sells flutes to let them know that my opinion will not change.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably level a DK to 80 and then go back to BC honestly.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

If they're going to do any changes to WotLK it should be to downgrade ToC to a side raid so Ulduar doesn't become almost completely irrelevant.

I don't even care about Dungeon Finder since it wasn't added until 3.3. Really have few issues aside from the main one with how ToC really fucked the tier pacing.

If they got rid of the cross-realm part of the dungeon finder I think Wrath is the peak of WoW.

Unsubbed since early December, don't plan on returning to TBC servers, let alone WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    If they got rid of the cross-realm part of the dungeon finder I think Wrath is the peak of WoW.
    Thats literally irrelevant.

People dont seem to understand that wotlk could be good not because of lack of QOL, but because of coherent story, good zones, great raids, simple yet not braindead gearing system, great difficulty balance and RPG was still a thing, "build" were still a thing (despite cookie cutters existing).
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Get back to me when they release Legion Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    retail has far more rpg elements than classic,a game being more tedious and forcing you to play with people wile lvling does not = rpg
    ROFL it's the other way around. Retail might as well be a single player game, as the people you see are fake in the sense they have no meaning being around you. CRZ and Sharding killed the RPG aspect of retail, while being friendly and not being a dick will see you making friends on classic.

Yeah I probably will, its not gonna blow me away by any stretch since I have done all the content in Wotlk bar Yogg 0 keepers when it was current, but I suppose it will cool to do it at appropiate level once again.