Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Looks like blizzard isn't giving the option to turn off censored words anymore.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/chat-mo...d-words-321894

Not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. If I want spicy language and opted into it I feel like I should be allowed spicy language. Not a game breaking change but one I find mildly disappointing.

Do you really feel the need to send people unsolicited gamer words enough to actually be disappointed by this change?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Do you really feel the need to send people unsolicited gamer words enough to actually be disappointed by this change?
    I kind of prefer to have the option yes, I don't see that as being an outrageous stance to take especially since you have to opt in to turn the censorship off... it is enabled by default.

you can still say stuff like fuck

if you consider stuff like the n-word spicy that's on you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lost controller View Post
    I kind of prefer to have the option yes, I don't see that as being an outrageous stance to take especially since you have to opt in to turn the censorship off... it is enabled by default.
    Yea, I don't really see the point to not even allow me to turn it off. I did read a funny comment about Twitch being aggressive with their filter. I guess I understand blocking slurs, but communication breaks down pretty quickly when they start doing words used in everyday life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoBisque View Post

I wonder if they would also block nigga. I mean that's used hourly in communication between blacks. That's kinda my point about communication breaking down quickly when companies go overboard with words used in everyday communication though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with those filters is that they often filter words that aren't really offensive in other languages.
    For example you can't even say "jap" (a form of "yes") in the German client because the filter thinks it's the English slur for Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    The problem with those filters is that they often filter words that aren't really offensive in other languages.
    For example you can't even say "jap" (a form of "yes") in the German client because the filter thinks it's the English slur for Japanese.
    Since you said "a form of yes", you make it sound like it's not used often? Is that like "aye", or is it more like "yea"? The point you make still remains though, there are just certain words that have no ill-meaning and then there are others that are blatant.

Which to me says that it's become so egregious that they feel that they have to just censor across the board.

Go figure. Can't say it'll ruin my day since I never use the kind of slurs that kiddies (and adult kiddies) throw around.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I wonder if they would also block nigga. I mean that's used hourly in communication between blacks. That's kinda my point about communication breaking down quickly when companies go overboard with words used in everyday communication though.
    It's not frequent that you get witness this level of unintentional racism on the internet. Yikes, my dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you said "a form of yes", you make it sound like it's not used often? Is that like "aye", or is it more like "yea"? The point you make still remains though, there are just certain words that have no ill-meaning and then there are others that are blatant.
    That's correct. It's occasionally used but it's weird every time when some one all of a sudden is censored because a listed word was written.

Racial slurs is fine to censor, though a common problem with censoring is that they tend to censor parts of words because a small part of it is a slur / banned word.
    For example my name is censored on rocket league lately due to it having "kum" in it, even if it's not even correctly spelled and part of my nickname... That makes things very annoying and censoring going overboard.

Then again I'm more for banning people who uses racial slurs and this will make it harder to see for others what they actually said, most will probably just think it's a harmless curse word rather than slur.

I hope they don't touch curse words since I think they have a place in conversation.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2021-04-19 at 01:45 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    So, according to the Wowhead article it's only including some racial slurs, as opposed to the common swear word arsenal.

I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to assume that it will extend to it, but I can also understand the concern. I don't believe it will, and I am glad that they are just straight up preventing people from being super racist, though this feels more like a band-aid fix then an actual one.

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

They’ll censor other words that are perfectly valid and do not have racial slur inclinations. Inb4 slippery slope fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Censoring "weniger" (less) was alot funnier, especially since that one keeps happening with every other new game.
    Edit: Another favorite of mine is games that even have an assassin class, yet insist on censoring *ass*.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-19 at 02:28 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

For instance my last name or a form of it I use for my gamertags, I cannot use it because I assume it is viewed as a slang word for Penis.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It's not frequent that you get witness this level of unintentional racism on the internet. Yikes, my dude.
    So if I provided video of completely normal everyday communication between blacks using the word nigga, would I still be racist with my statement? Truth hurts sometimes, but I always get a chuckle when someone uses facts and statistics (in the numerous policing and crime threads) is infracted on here or called a racist by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    So, according to the Wowhead article it's only including some racial slurs, as opposed to the common swear word arsenal.

I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to assume that it will extend to it, but I can also understand the concern. I don't believe it will, and I am glad that they are just straight up preventing people from being super racist, though this feels more like a band-aid fix then an actual one.
    This, I don't think it fixes anything... it just hides it. Ban the ones using it, permanently... as extra, redistribute their gold to players who reported them. Think that'll reduce it more.

EDIT: actually, that might promote false reporting...even though with chat it's easy to see if it's valid report or not, but still takes unnecessary time double checking due to monetary gain.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoBisque View Post

I feel like, if people can play as black people, they can be allowed to say it. If they use it in a very...fucked way though, we already have the Blizzard silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    For example my name is censored on rocket league lately due to it having "kum" in it, even if it's not even correctly spelled and part of my nickname... That makes things very annoying and censoring going overboard.
    Jesus christ, we are beginning to censor misspelled variants of "bad" words? Fucking idiocy to the max, eh?

It's a colloquial confimation, it's essentially just a "yup".
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.