Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Oh look an American company engaging in thought control. I can't wait to have certain German words not working because the communists at Blizzard think they're offensive in English.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "WAHHH I CAN'T CALL PEOPLE RACIAL SLURS ANYMORE THIS IS CENSORSHIP MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH LITERALLY 1984"

You people are such babies.
    lol ever heard of options? yeh we like em.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    lol ever heard of options? yeh we like em.
    "NOOO I NEED TO HAVE THE OPTION TO CALL PEOPLE RACIAL SLURS!!!"

Nah. I'd rather not have people like you in the game. Go back to /pol/, you can say the N word as much as you want there.

Lol this reminds me of how in genshin impact "mihoyo" is a banned word because "mi hoyo" is "my hole" in spannish. But ironically "mihoyo" is the name of the company. Imagine if "blizzard" was a banned word on wow.. lol. These banning things always have weird implications when being applied to multiple languages.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-04-19 at 03:18 PM.

Nah. I'd rather not have people like you in the game. Go back to /pol/, you can say the N word as much as you want there.
    you can say the nword and not be racist

I'm fine with this. Because restricting it solely in WoW, as in, WoW player to WoW player, but not through Battle.Net RealID, helps curb the raging random idiots who send you non-stop strings of slurs because you did something he perceives as 'horribly insulting', like being insulted because you, as a healer, died in a M+ pull. Because the tank failed to hold aggro. But it was your fault that you "pulled".

its more i want the option to see if a racial slur was directed at me, grow up, I've never said the n word nice assumption come back when you mature the grown ups are talking here

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So if I provided video of completely normal everyday communication between blacks using the word nigga, would I still be racist with my statement? Truth hurts sometimes, but I always get a chuckle when someone uses facts and statistics (in the numerous policing and crime threads) is infracted on here or called a racist by others.
    Stop digging.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's their client, they're free to dictate what is and isn't permitted to be said within their space. If you feel so strongly that this is a violation of your rights, feel free to open a class-action lawsuit. Lawyers rarely charge retainer fees on class-action cases. If your game experience is worsened because you can't call someone a racist slur in instance chat after they botch a mechanic in Mythic Plaguefall, that's on you to reevaluate.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    It's their client, they're free to dictate what is and isn't permitted to be said within their space. If you feel so strongly that this is a violation of your rights, feel free to open a class-action lawsuit. Lawyers rarely charge retainer fees on class-action cases. If your game experience is worsened because you can't call someone a racist slur in instance chat after they botch a mechanic in Mythic Plaguefall, that's on you to reevaluate.
    no one is arguing that it isnt legal for them to put this in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Stop digging.
    Typical response when presented with a fact or statistic someone doesn’t have anything to dispute. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Players are actually mad they cant say racist, misogynist, xenophobic words. If you don't like it, quit.
    Yes. That's the key component of the discussion. You nailed it. You didn't get it completely wrong whatsoever. Nope. You focused every complaint being made into one succinct, completely accurate sentence. Masterful.

(That's sarcasm by the way.)

imagine thinking people wouldn't be getting around this by using some weird chars or numbers. Literally waste of development time that could otherwise be invested into getting better game experience.

If someone will really want to use offensive word, he will. I guess blizzard fully embraced the cancel/outrage culture.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Yeah... MMO-C snowflakes are good at being outraged over inane shit, but this one might just take the cake. Comparison to going trough the Holocaust or Stalinist Russia in 3...2...

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Typical response when presented with a fact or statistic someone doesn’t have anything to dispute. Thanks.
    No, stop digging. You're going to fall out the other side.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Stop digging.
    Black people use the word "nigga". Stop getting butthurt. im gonna guess you are European and dont see black people very often?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    no one is arguing that it isnt legal for them to put this in the game
    I've been seeing an awful lot of people across the 'net whining about free speech (which is a legal concept regarding one's ability to criticize the government and speak openly in public venues, neither of which are affected by a chat filter in a video game). Therefore, if people feel like this is a violation of their free speech, there's a literal army of lawyers out there who would love to get their cut off the top of a class-action lawsuit.

From a social standpoint? This is sleeping in the bed people made for themselves when they spend a decade laboring under the misconception that free speech means freedom from consequences and that they're entitled to private platforms giving them room to say whatever's on their mind. This is the inevitable end result of constantly pushing the envelope on saying whatever you please without bothering to moderate yourself--someone comes by and moderates your language for you. Expect more of this to happen across the board in games with social aspects including ingame chat systems so long as people keep turning those ingame chats into tidal waves of abuse and slurs. Until people start thinking, "If I said this on the street in Chicago, would it get me shot?" automated moderation like 'reserved' filters you can't turn off will be more prevalent and expansive.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't work well in russia, i still remember names of certain NPCs being censored (trollbane - троллебой which can be translated to "fucking"; or sausage - сосиска which is a verb to suck), maybe it got better over time, but on release it was really hard to play with filter on. Never turned it on after that and i doubt that it benefits anyone, because if someone wants to insult you they won't be stopped by a filter, and even if it'll be filtered you'll still know what they were saying.

Maybe blizzard wants a comfy blanket against lawsuits, you know, to have an excuse that they are addressing the case of people insulting each other, while in reality it doesn't change anything
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2021-04-19 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I've been seeing an awful lot of people across the 'net whining about free speech (which is a legal concept regarding one's ability to criticize the government and speak openly in public venues, neither of which are affected by a chat filter in a video game). Therefore, if people feel like this is a violation of their free speech, there's a literal army of lawyers out there who would love to get their cut off the top of a class-action lawsuit.

From a social standpoint? This is sleeping in the bed people made for themselves when they spend a decade laboring under the misconception that free speech means freedom from consequences and that they're entitled to private platforms giving them room to say whatever's on their mind. This is the inevitable end result of constantly pushing the envelope on saying whatever you please without bothering to moderate yourself--someone comes by and moderates your language for you. Expect more of this to happen across the board in games with social aspects including ingame chat systems so long as people keep turning those ingame chats into tidal waves of abuse and slurs. Until people start thinking, "If I said this on the street in Chicago, would it get me shot?" automated moderation like 'reserved' filters you can't turn off will be more prevalent and expansive.
    free speech and expression is an idea. Its an idea that many people would like corporations and others to believe in.

No one here believes their first amendment right is being violated.

on a side note your chicago "example" is abhorrent
    Last edited by LedZeppelin; 2021-04-19 at 03:58 PM.

I wonder if WoWhead has an account that they just test spam all the possible offensive words they can think of, or do they spread it across multiple legit accounts?