Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    This, I don't think it fixes anything... it just hides it. Ban the ones using it, permanently... as extra, redistribute their gold to players who reported them. Think that'll reduce it more.
    This is mob justice/cancel culture in a post with a dash of proletariat.

All you had to say was just heavily squelch people who do it frequently, with a ban for X period of time for breaking the rules after the squelch.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    For instance my last name or a form of it I use for my gamertags, I cannot use it because I assume it is viewed as a slang word for Penis.
    wank is british english and refers to the act of .. well polishing your pole. Wheres in German "Schwank" is a word for "sway", though it's usually used for "(a funny) tale".
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-19 at 02:31 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I'm kinda okay with it being applied for general chat, but it gets ridiculous if it also includes private messages. I've never encountered the bad language filter tbh, but... forbidding words is a really harsh form of censorship, it should be used extremely carefully.

Hopefully it is smart enough to recognize commonly used words and not just ban words no matter whether they are part of a larger word or not.

Was an old online game I used to play that had this problem. Pretty much every sentence ended up having censored parts because the game was not equipped to recognize hiding swear words creatively from normal words in common use, or worse yet words used in that very game.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    Word filtering is so fucking stupid it always screws up an adds words that shouldn’t be censored honestly no words should be censored...bunch of snowflakes
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

I'd rather not have this, seems like a easy way to avoid having to deal with reports.
    Better to have free chat and ban the people who missuse it. remove the people that is toxic is better than keeping them at bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Do you really feel the need to send people unsolicited gamer words enough to actually be disappointed by this change?
    a lot of censored words are used in non-offensive context much more often than offensive ones.

but i don't mind that part of it too much, the much more annoying part is when multiple languages are involved.

i run into situations where normal english words are banned because they mean something bad in a foreign language, and the reverse where bad foreign non-english words just slip through, all the time.

gonna be fun on european servers, with like 6 or something officially supported languages and then at least as many not officially supported but still commonly used languages.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-04-19 at 02:11 PM.

I think blizzard severly underestimates people's creativity when it comes to being an ass to eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    I'd rather not have this, seems like a easy way to avoid having to deal with reports.
    Better to have free chat and ban the people who missuse it. remove the people that is toxic is better than keeping them at bay.
    AFAIK, this already existed? I swear I remember turning off mature filter as one of the first things when I'm configuring settings on a new install.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost controller View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/chat-mo...d-words-321894

Not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. If I want spicy language and opted into it I feel like I should be allowed spicy language. Not a game breaking change but one I find mildly disappointing.
    you wanna know the funny thing?some of those censored words...are actualy LITERAL normal every day words in my country that mean something completly different....this change will REALLY suck

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally keep it on even though I use profanity pretty regularly in casual conversation, because seeing it pop up in chat or text bubbles always breaks my immersion and takes me out of the game.

Of course, if you're going around spouting slurs in general chat channels you deserve to get banned. Have some discretion.

omg

is this some lousy weird pseudo try by Blizzard making/declaring/sounding their community „less toxic“ ?

the only thing this will be in reality is „annoying“. nothing else.

and while Blizz doing shit as this, their community becoming more and more toxic, because actual game design more and more supports it.

- whats about doing something against m+ leavers?
    - whats about doing something against annoying boost shit?
    - whats about doing something against rio focused pug community?
    - whats about doing something against bad meassurement and false assumptions ingame?

ahh, i understand. these things are either not as cheap implementable as a chat word filter, or dont sell Tokens, to make profit for Bobby.

check.

Do you really feel the need to send people unsolicited gamer words enough to actually be disappointed by this change?
    Wonder if words like Hong Kong and Tianmen are included in the censorship list?
    Last edited by Lahis; 2021-04-19 at 02:16 PM.

i know for a matter of fact that for some stupid reason reason the word ass is censored in game, i dont get why words like that should be under sensorship imo

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Wonder if words like Hong Kong and Tijuan are included in the censorship list?
    just type it in the chinese font the game supports! bet they won't bother disabling/filtering that.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚 works fine in game last time i tried. so 卄ㄖ几Ꮆ Ҝㄖ几Ꮆ should work too.

and what about japanese word 'nigero'?
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

5+ Year Old Account
    There is an option to turn off the mature language in the social corner, but I wouldn't recommend this. It's highly demoralizing and lowering the intellectual level of social experience. Especially when you are at the university and being asked to do some essays for the class project and out of nowhere you encounter lack of words. That's just like the most embarrassing thing that happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Hopefully it is smart enough to recognize commonly used words and not just ban words no matter whether they are part of a larger word or not.

Was an old online game I used to play that had this problem. Pretty much every sentence ended up having censored parts because the game was not equipped to recognize hiding swear words creatively from normal words in common use, or worse yet words used in that very game.
    Used to be issue in RuneScape when writing Finnish: the game would just censor random bits of phrases that veer too close to English swearwords.

It's not frequent that you get witness this level of unintentional racism on the internet. Yikes, my dude.
    I’m not exactly a fan of censorship, but that post you quoted was a shocking amount of being tone deaf

I’m not sure if censorship is something they’re doing to cut down on tickets reporting people, to cut hours at the office, or because rude behavior with no accountability has spiraled out of control this generation, but it won’t really effect me either way since short of the random f bomb, I can’t imagine anything I’d say is censor worthy

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I’m not exactly a fan of censorship, but that post you quoted was a shocking amount of being tone deaf

I’m not sure if censorship is something they’re doing to cut down on tickets reporting people, to cut hours at the office, or because rude behavior with no accountability has spiraled out of control this generation, but it won’t really effect me either way since short of the random f bomb, I can’t imagine anything I’d say is censor worthy
    What's tone-deaf exactly? You know nigga is going to be added to the list. My point is why, when it's an everyday used word with no negative connotation at all, ESPECIALLY for the segment of the population they would have added it to the list on behalf of.

My view is that there are so many languages, until servers are language-specific there is absolutely no feasible way to ever coddle words as they mean completely different things in different languages, let alone to different groups of people.