Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Alright. Let’s set aside the fact that you’re wrong. What the fuck does this have to do with Shang-Chi?
    You started up with me, I was responding to someone else, and you not knowing what the fuck you're talking about has nothing to do with the thread, so ill end it here as not to derail. I just posted I liked the lead in this show on something else.

Really don't need more super hero nonsense IMO
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You started up with me, I was responding to someone else, and you not knowing what the fuck you're talking about has nothing to do with the thread, so ill end it here as not to derail. I just posted I liked the lead in this show on something else.

You keep saying it’s not science fiction before defining it as a sub-genre of science fiction. And your opinion is noted. Guess this movie isn’t for you.

Not sure what to think of this. It looks kinda okay, but I don't really get much MCU vibes from it. Maybe that'll change with the actual movie, but the trailer didn't really blow me away.

Well, then don't watch it. I don't know why people have to make a big deal over a genre they don't like. I don't much care for sitcoms...but I don't go into threads telling everyone how we don't need any more sitcom nonsense.

After the disappointing Iron Fist series this is Marvel’s chance to show they can do martial arts justice. This trailer has my hopes up, hopefully they aren’t dashed.
    That's was my thought as well since Iron Fist suffered a lot from the writing and how they did things. The trailer looked like it did a lot better job alone than the Iron Fist did overall so I'm interested in seeing how this goes since I haven't heard of this character until the announcement awhile back.

More super hero nonsense? You're right, we don't need that.

Well made and highly entertaining super hero movies and shows, on the other hand? Marvel can keep those coming.

Let's stay on topic everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I honestly don't understand why having loads of previous knowledge on a hero (or villain for that matter) is seemingly a must for people. Like these characters can't have movies/series made about them because someone might not know who they are.

Call me crazy, but maybe that's half the point of having these things?
    "Yeah, I dunno. That Indiana Jones movie looks okay I guess, but who the fuck is that guy? Never heard of him..."

Yeah it's more super hero garbage it's been seen, Kim's Convenience was better.
    Well, that's like your opinion man.

Also, thanks for jumping in to take a dump.

I mean, if you don't like super hero movies, that's cool. Don't watch them. Let people who like them and want to talk about them go on and do that. You're not adding anything to the conversation and we don't NEED to know you don't like them. Thanks tho.

I'm interested in this movie because I like the Liu's and Awkwafina's performances in their respective sitcoms. Hell, I'm more interested in this than I was in Endgame.

Also it has Michelle Yeoh in it. And Ronnie Chieng!

All I need now is a cameo from Donnie Yen and I'm set.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    "Yeah, I dunno. That Indiana Jones movie looks okay I guess, but who the fuck is that guy? Never heard of him..."

Well, that's like your opinion man.

Also, thanks for jumping in to take a dump.

I mean, if you don't like super hero movies, that's cool. Don't watch them. Let people who like them and want to talk about them go on and do that. You're not adding anything to the conversation and we don't NEED to know you don't like them. Thanks tho.
    I don't make a habit of it, I think the guy in this was great in another show, I'll miss it, I am betting he will be great in this, just wish it wasn't, how many super hero's do we need.

How about a movie about Dave who works in Accounting to pays his taxes, obeys the law and is awesome at Jeopardy
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

I don't make a habit of it, I think the guy in this was great in another show, I'll miss it, I am betting he will be great in this, just wish it wasn't, how many super hero's do we need.
    Again, just don't watch the movie. Don't come to shit all over it because you personally don't like Superhero films.

How about a movie about Dave who works in Accounting to pays his taxes, obeys the law and is awesome at Jeopardy
    Acting like the Marvel movies are just about super heroes is like acting like all the Star Wars, all the Star Treks, 2001 Space Odyssey, Event Horizon, all the Aliens, etc. are just about space.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

It's not like Marvel is the only studio making films. There are plenty of studios making those kinds of movies.

What Marvel makes is superhero films. They've kept it relatively fresh and avoided viewer burnout by switching up subgenres with every new property, once they found their rhythm (about halfway in through the Infinity Stones arc). The first couple Thors kind of struggled because of this, but then they gave them to Waititi who gave them a unique subgenre feel, and they were off to the races.

I think it's pretty clear with Shang Chi that they're going for the Hong Kong/martial arts subgenre, which is untapped so far for the MCU. And honestly, given how big the Chinese market's become, this is a slam-dunk idea. That Shang Chi is a minor character doesn't "matter"; Marvel's gained enough goodwill the audience will give whatever they put out a shot.

It's also a meaty subgenre. There's a ton of films that have won really prestigious awards and a lot of critical acclaim, so it's not like this is a step down for Marvel or something.

Trying to get Marvel to do a day-in-the-life story about an average guy in a normal world is like expecting Pixar to do a live-action NC-17 gorefest horror film.

Edit: Also, we have Marvel's "regular dude just trying to get by and live his life" movie. Two of them. Ant-Man and Ant-man and the Wasp.

Last edited by Endus; 2021-04-21 at 12:44 AM.

You mean an American Splendor type film set in the MCU, or just one in general? Because they make movies like what you describe, they just don’t get massive budgets because there’s no where you can justify spending that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Acting like the Marvel movies are just about super heroes is like acting like all the Star Wars, all the Star Treks, 2001 Space Odyssey, Event Horizon, all the Aliens, etc. are just about space.
    Indeed.

As my brother said to my after watching the Shang Chi trailer - "I keep expecting Marvel to start making bad movies, but they pretty much all manage to be unique and different. Except Thor 1 and 2."

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not like Marvel is the only studio making films. There are plenty of studios making those kinds of movies.

What Marvel makes is superhero films. They've kept it relatively fresh and avoided viewer burnout by switching up subgenres with every new property, once they found their rhythm (about halfway in through the Infinity Stones arc). The first couple Thors kind of struggled because of this, but then they gave them to Waititi who gave them a unique subgenre feel, and they were off to the races.

I think it's pretty clear with Shang Chi that they're going for the Hong Kong/martial arts subgenre, which is untapped so far for the MCU. And honestly, given how big the Chinese market's become, this is a slam-dunk idea. That Shang Chi is a minor character doesn't "matter"; Marvel's gained enough goodwill the audience will give whatever they put out a shot.

It's also a meaty subgenre. There's a ton of films that have won really prestigious awards and a lot of critical acclaim, so it's not like this is a step down for Marvel or something.

Trying to get Marvel to do a day-in-the-life story about an average guy in a normal world is like expecting Pixar to do a live-action NC-17 gorefest horror film.

Edit: Also, we have Marvel's "regular dude just trying to get by and live his life" movie. Two of them. Ant-Man and Ant-man and the Wasp.

[vid[/video]
    Well I apologize if I’m being overly harsh this looks like a great production and the lead actor in queens is very talented and I like his work.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean an American Splendor type film set in the MCU, or just one in general? Because they make movies like what you describe, they just don’t get massive budgets because there’s no where you can justify spending that money.

Good point. Just hope this is as good as it deserves to be.

I’m just not sure how these films are going to keep happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed.

As my brother said to my after watching the Shang Chi trailer - "I keep expecting Marvel to start making bad movies, but they pretty much all manage to be unique and different. Except Thor 1 and 2."
    I’ll do my best to keep an open mind.

Yeah it's more super hero garbage
    Then why even open this thread if its just more "super hero garbage" to you? Even after you did, you can very clearly see that it is a Marvel property, from the video thumbnail and because the OP literally starts the thread with the word "Marvel". So, not entirely sure what you expected to get here.

Indeed.

I'm just tired of the notion that superhero movies are one thing. They aren't, especially thanks to the MCU.

In time, there will be numerous college film making courses on what the MCU has accomplished.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

He better have super powers, at least with his chi control and all, im done with super heroes not being super

Don't know the guy, but he seems cool enough, if he is the next cap america and spider man the new tony stark i can see a different formant in the avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    And I don't mean that Quill suddenly turned dark blonde to match Chris Pratt no... I mean there's not an ounce of connection between the film's Drax and Gamora and the previous incarnation in the comics.
    The older incarnation was preferable
    This the Gamora pre-MCU: And edgy badass character ( even Ryder and Quill were afraid of her) because in the end it's the daughter of Thanos and the last of the Zen-Woberi. Add the Godslayer ( nowhere to be seem in the fims) to the equation,a dagger able to kill anything below an Abstract and you have "the most dangerous woman in the galaxy" and you know there's mottos that has been repeated so many times that becomes canon. I mean if i ask: who's the stronger one there is? Who is the smartest man in the planet? Who is the best and what he do?...no comic reader have problems answering. Gamora is a character with a true moral ambiguity ( not like Sylvanas) that basically does good ( when she does) because it's fun for her but have no problems with evil.
    In the films we have "the most dangerous woman in the galaxy" threatened in a low security prison by two two-bits punks.....ummm....yeah, no,that's not Gamora. In the comics ( pre-MCU) just her presence in the prison would have scared to death all the inmates.
    She could have taken over... The last I read of her, she was being worshipped as an avatar of death organizing suicide bombers.
    And what about the MCU simpleton Drax? Nothing to to with the character that killed Thanos
    I did prefer the smart savvy fighter shown here against Lunatik: First panel. and here's the 2nd panel
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    He better have super powers, at least with his chi control and all, im done with super heroes not being super.
    You're in for a disappointment. Shang Chi is vanilla mortal. Think...Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan in one. Shang Chi comic book came out during a time when martial art movies were ubiquitous..