[PVP] Start playing now or wait 9.1

Hi,
    As the title says, I would like to have your opinion about starting playing now or wait for 9.1. I will mainly do PvP. Should I start now, to grind what’s needed (covenant, gear…)? Or will that grinding be less important in 9.1? Or could the 9.0.5 grinding becoming useless with an eventual 9.1 catch up or new gear?
    Thanks

probably worth doing covenant stuff and getting max renown but that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by baks View Post
    Hi,
    As the title says, I would like to have your opinion about starting playing now or wait for 9.1. I will mainly do PvP. Should I start now, to grind what’s needed (covenant, gear…)? Or will that grinding be less important in 9.1? Or could the 9.0.5 grinding becoming useless with an eventual 9.1 catch up or new gear?
    Thanks
    Do NOT attempt PvP.

I tryed many times on different classes - I would burnout everytime and to my regret(despite that I got some decent XP). This is because people are already geared - you will meet them - and the farm is awful. Gearing is so bad - that you most likely won't cap the conquest the first few weeks and even if you did - you will by guarantee get hardstuck and not be able to use the conquest tokens.

Just wait till next season - but as the other post mentions it - you can start playing the campaign and all the rest. Worth mentioning that you should start playing the next season as soon as it's out - as you would be left behind really quick.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2021-04-19 at 09:20 PM.

Now. There is A LOT to go through and prepare for next season.

thanks for your answers.
    Since I should start season 2 PvP ASAP, I guess I should be a bit geared before the start ?

thanks for your answers.
    Since I should start season 2 PvP ASAP, I guess I should be a bit geared before the start ?
    You can do battlegrounds and arenas all you like but forget about getting any rating for the higher ilvl-gear because everyone and their mother is already at full gear and will stomp you instantly unless you are very good and playing with very good teammates. Gear is super important this season and its an uphill battle if you start now.

I would get my renown to max because there are some great perks with higher renowns that are invaluable for pvp. Thats pretty much the only thing you need to focus on before the new season.

Not really. There will be new/better gear with the start of the season, so farming gear now makes no sense unless you can reach 1800/2100 rating.

Make sure you have your renown maxed out first. After that, play some arenas/skirmishes, but only to get a feel of the pace that the current game has. Don't get tilted by being undergeared and therefore losing - it will happen to you a lot.
    Work on your UI - your key-binds, addons and their setup.

If you have the time, try to get at least 200 ilvl versatility gear - either the campaign set (if it has versa) or the honor gear (it's a bit of a grind). Reason is, you will have an easier time in BGs/arenas when the new season starts.

ok so my do to list would be :
    -do covenant campaign
    -farm renown
    -why not getting 15k honor for 9.1 ?

ok so my do to list would be :
    -do covenant campaign
    -farm renown
    -why not getting 15k honor for 9.1 ?
    honor resets with new season
    my goal is get all covenants to level 40 right now
    cause never know how meta might shift, and nothing to do right now anyway

Better to just put your efforts into leveling the next gear tier fotm class and cap your honor before next season

PVP is straight up unplayable for a new character right now
    Unless you have someone to boost you and carry you, and even then good luck farming a 10k conquest cap when your getting 25cp per win in arena. Not to mention continuously getting one shot and insta gibbed by well geared players who plague anything above 1400.

Just take a break till next season, farm honor and get your renown up.

To put this in pve terms, this would be like the only way to get any loot from a boss was to be top dps in your raid, however since the top dps is getting gear and you’re not, he has a much easier time doing damage and eventually you realize it’s impossible for you to get gear... unless you rbg

I started playing 3 weeks ago and have 4 level 50 characters. I want to start the Shadowland campaign but currently having too much fun collecting battle pets/transmogs and mounts and dont really feel like doing anything else, but I also want to jump into semi serious pve progression as soon as 9.1 starts, so sooner or later I will have to jump into SL so I dont get left behind on gear/rep/renown.

I started a PvP only alt and am having a blast. It was fun grinding my way up to 1400 as an undergeared destro warlock, getting 207 gear and aiming to at least get 213. 1400 to 1600 isn't that big of a jump, and while we do fight some overgeared opponents occasionally we still try-hard. I enjoy the uphill battle and outskilling those guys. I'm mostly playing casually with a friend, so your mileage may vary.

I would start now. Like others have pointed out, there is a lot to prepare, to be ready for 9.1