What are reasonable standards for a Heroic Denathrius pug?

Even with five kills under my belt I’m still struggling to lead groups to a quick kill. I mean it’s a rough fight to pull 100% of people out of the queue on, but I’m compensating by only taking ridiculously overgeared toons that are 10/10 on the toon they bring.

But I don’t even think that is enough!

I’m thinking a minimum 35% parse for their role for the toon they bring if I’m hoping to get it in a half-dozen pulls or less.

I’m also thinking of making two checkpoints, raid DPS when he hits 80% and raid dps when he hits 50%. I think most my kills have come when second adds pop while he’s at 50% and if a raid isn’t easily hitting those two checkpoints it’s going to be rough.

Pugs arguably need really high standards to counteract the fact that everyone sort of has their own way of doing things.

I just wish more people’s parses were public.

Also I have not found the account-wide nature of AotC to be helpful. I want to see they know the fight ON The Toon they’re Bringing.

Also if you want to see parses or video there’s links here, I’m on my phone at work though so I can’t trim them out easily
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ius-pug/943664
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Huh, 35% parse for their class seems really low but I'm not much into the PuG world.
    Some friends of mine are just dipping their toes into Mythic raiding, 1/10 at the moment and most of their main roster fail to crack 50% blue parse in heroic.
    These same players took well over 100 pulls to prog kill Heroic Sire as a guild.

If I wanted a sire kill, I wouldn't personally accept anyone below 215ilvl with blue parses on that character, mostly because we're so late into the patch cycle anything less is suspect.
    Unless I somehow knew that player was very good, which sadly AotC doesn't prove much unless it was an early January kill.

As I ramble, I guess that'd be one way to tell. If their AotC was before Feb you know they likely got it legit. Were people buying boosts that early? Probably, but less likely.

Is that elitist of me? Possibly.

7+ Year Old Account
    The couple pugs I put together myself I mainly went with experience. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, had at least 5 kills under their belt. I then took a glance at their performance on their kills: survivability primarily and then hps/dps. Took a while to put both groups together but in both cases we killed H.Den in less than 5 pulls; 3 and 5. The only real issue was tanks getting in sync and then the kill followed.

Checking the date on AotC is a great idea, I mean it’s by no means foolproof but it’s very easy to do.

I’m just frustrated because I really thought I had a great group today and we were still struggling.

I think the winning plan might be to run smaller groups and check parses, I mean, nothing else is working.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so some questions:

What is the easiest way on WCL to see who died first or second in aggregate? I tried some spreadsheet death view but it was unintelligible due to the unclearness of the pull length.

How close do tanks have to stand to ranged add to give them wracking pain?

I’ve read that taunt immunity is 3 in 16 seconds but how does that work? Is that a rolling window and if exceeded how long does immunity last?

Can tanks always taunt when stacks drop in P2 and 3 without hitting immunity?

I have to research but I’m thinking Denathrius shpuld always in P3 be 2/3 of the way from the center...his positioning actually isn’t difficult despite the constant knockbacks and suck ins. It’s really the dps and heals that need to move around him to soak and not fall off platform.

How bad is a tick of the black red pools from impale and is it worth it to stand in them for just a sec to keep the platform cleaner?
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

I would look for 3-4 mythic bosses cleared myself. It pays to set the bar high for pugs.

P1 dps is basically padding. They do need to die, but high DPS in the burst AoE part of the fight is not a good indicator of success. The last phase is the tough part, and that's all single-target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by DazManianDevil View Post
    Huh, 35% parse for their class seems really low but I'm not much into the PuG world.
    Some friends of mine are just dipping their toes into Mythic raiding, 1/10 at the moment and most of their main roster fail to crack 50% blue parse in heroic.
    These same players took well over 100 pulls to prog kill Heroic Sire as a guild.

If I wanted a sire kill, I wouldn't personally accept anyone below 215ilvl with blue parses on that character, mostly because we're so late into the patch cycle anything less is suspect.
    Unless I somehow knew that player was very good, which sadly AotC doesn't prove much unless it was an early January kill.

As I ramble, I guess that'd be one way to tell. If their AotC was before Feb you know they likely got it legit. Were people buying boosts that early? Probably, but less likely.

Is that elitist of me? Possibly.
    IDK man, might depend on the class? Maybe I'm really just a shitty fire mage...but I find I simply cannot parse high as a fire mage compared to the power infused, pvp trinket, and other buffs top log fire mages ><

Also doesn't help that atm, my guild has to stop dps in phase 1 just to make sure we get enough stacks cleared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    IDK man, might depend on the class? Maybe I'm really just a shitty fire mage...but I find I simply cannot parse high as a fire mage compared to the power infused, pvp trinket, and other buffs top log fire mages ><

Also doesn't help that atm, my guild has to stop dps in phase 1 just to make sure we get enough stacks cleared.
    I mean... it's 35% for pete's sake. That's a green parse lulz, to do that - you practically simply need to press buttons in somewhat correct order, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post

This is my biggest gripe with this boss and raid leads in general. It took weeks to convince my own RL to do it in 5 cones, not the holy "6 cones or bust" nonsense.
    Hell the last time I did H Sire we were on the cusp of doing it in 4 but slowed dps to do it in 5.
    Without your logs I can't speak to your skill as a fire mage, but I raid with 2 and one of them is clearly better, and we're currently 6/10M.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I mean... it's 35% for pete's sake. That's a green parse lulz, to do that - you practically simply need to press buttons in somewhat correct order, if that.
    Funny story, friend of mine has a 48% parse on Sludgefist Heroic. I check her timeline, MM Hunter.
    First global, aimed shot. Next global was 18 seconds later because her camera angle freaked out and she couldn't target the boss.
    If you're green parsing Heroic, and above 205-210ish ilvl you're probably bad. /shrug